"Kubo and the Two Strings" might be the best new movie I've seen this year. That is damn surprising

"Kubo and the Two Strings" might be the best new movie I've seen this year. That is damn surprising.

It hits all the right notes, though. Amazing visuals (I even saw it in 3D and it was splendid - how often does that happen?), wonderful music, a great story, all that. So, so good.

Obviously best animated film of the year, but one of the best in general, too.

Have you seen Kubo? What'd you think? If not, what's your favorite 2016 film so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want to see the weebs get assblasted when this movie beats the real Japanese anime movies that always somehow wind up in the Oscars.

Its great

>think kubos dad looked like toshiro mifune
>feel smart and clever
>it was intentional

stop motion movies have traumatized me since seeing james and the giant peach as a kid

does it have tearjerker moments?

i want to take a girl out to see it but I don't want to look like a bitch in front of her

There's a couple. When you find out the significance of the "two strings" in the title, unless you're a robot, you will probably get watery-eyed.

Yes and no. It's not, like, Pixar levels of tearjerking (Nothing like the opening sequence of "Up" or the ending of the Toy Story trilogy) but there are some very beautiful, touching parts that I teared up at. But I'm a sucker for heartwarming shit in movies, so I don't know.

Take her, though. I imagine it's a great date movie. I saw it solo, though. Whenever there's a movie that I'm interested in more than casually, I go alone so I can express the full gambit of my admittedly over-sensitive emotions without worrying what my friends/date think of me.

But yes, go see it.

It was pretty good. I thought the story was weak but everything else was amazing. In terms of animated releases I think Zootopia would have to be my favorite of 2016 thus far.

Its weeb shit and I'm glad it's bombing.

>paying to see a stop-motion animated film in 3D
What's it feel like to waste your money so heinously? Is it like bleeding a cyst? I imagine it might feel like rubbing some sort of psychedelic oil into an orifice. You're overcome with a panic that what you're doing is a terrible idea until the euphoria overrides your higher brain function and tricks you into feeling like you're having a good time, until the comedown.

thank you for non-meme answers. you are good boys.

This one has some of the darkest stuff I've seen in an American animated film in years. I was impressed because they had the balls to kill of several characters in this one (and unlike other animated movies, those who die actually stay dead..

It's not by Disney or Pixar. It won't get nominated.

Believe it or not, it was spectacular and beautiful in 3D.

One time I would actually recommend 3D, honestly.

I'm surprised they left this scene in, despite some of the public outcry.

They actually filmed Kubo with 3D cameras so there's not that weird added-in-post 3D that just puffs up a 2D image that plagues so many other movies.

Boxtrolls got nominated and this is by the same people. It has a chance.

This one blows Boxtrolls out of the water, IMO. They made a 16 foot tall skeleton for the boss fight without the use of CGI.

It was great
Much better than boxtrolls and probably even better than paranorman

I agree. Laika's best, most likely.

One of the coolest parts of the movie was actually during the end credits with at timelapse of the studio where the skeleton was being animated. Very, very cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=plXmbLAUTRg

Fantastic making-of for you guys.

I wish anime kino would win an Oscar just once.

Can someone confirm? I might actually watch this if it's true.

Genuinely great animated movie.

Easily Laika's best to date as well, but its going to get shut out by Pixney at the Oscars.

Can confirm. It fits the story and I'm glad they didn't walk back on it

its psuedo-chink core

no thanks

Wow this project is why bleach was cancelled ???