Which era of 90s music do you prefer? The rustic grungy masculine 90s (Late 1991-96)...

Which era of 90s music do you prefer? The rustic grungy masculine 90s (Late 1991-96), or the futuristic girly bubbly homosexual 90s(1997-September 10, 2001)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cP4yAnbtDZE
youtube.com/watch?v=kwEZRPkAAu8
youtube.com/watch?v=lbnoG2dsUk0
youtube.com/watch?v=uAXxkNaRkp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The early to mid 90's England jungle DnB era.

Gee, what a tough decision. /sarcasm

it IS a tough decision, it's not easy to choose between the two worst genres of that decade

Good thing grunge wasn't a genre

neither is "girly bubbly homosexual" but you damn well know what we're talking about. feigned ignorance and pedantry doesn't suit you, user

I unironically like the latter. I just can't really get into angry, dissonant music.

I don't listen to mainstream music

The one with Kylie

Hold up here, we have a Christgau disciple on our hands.

Lel. Does christgau like eurodance? If so I may have found my guy

Not really since he believes dance music can't really be appreciated unless you're in da club.

Wait, why is Madonna shown in a 90s montage?

The MadFUCKINGMadchester era (1990-1991)

Pop-wise, I don't really have a preference.

I like:

Missy Eliott
TLC (these bitches were fucking HOT too)
Aaliyah (also extremely fucking sexy)
Montell Jordan
Salt n Pepa have their moments
a bit of Britney
SWV
Keith Sweat
some early 90s Madonna, some of her 80s
Mariah Carey
Jade
Backstreet Boys, sometimes
Gwen Stefani, ballad-wise but not dance stuff, and not No Doubt
Next
Blink 182 (but not any other pop-punk. Blink sound like a melancholy, suburban Happy Hardcore to me though)
Sade
Sneaker Pimps a little
Blackstreet
R Kelly
Boyz II Men
Bell Biv DeVoe
Bobby Brown

Don't really care for grunge that much, although Alice in Chains kind of groove.

Was never really into Brandy, Monica, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore, Natalie Imbruglia, Alanis Morissette, Destiny's Child or Beyonce, Celine Dione, Jennifer Lopez, Shania Twane, Garbage, Sisqo, Red Hot Chili Peppers (Breaking the Girl rules though), Matchbox 20, Green Day, Oasis, or Fiona Apple (what is the big deal with her with people with "taste"?).

Korn have grown on me. Kind of like Marilyn Manson, like as a scummy trip-hop.

she remained relevant for much of the 90s

Not after 92 when she took an extended hiatus to have kids. For most of the decade, the pop scene was nothing but abysmal one hit wonders.

Needless to say, I really want to fuck prime Mariah Carey. What an angel.

The futuristic girly bubbly homosexual 90s

Btw growing your hair long and whining about stuffs isn't 'masculine'

>that pic

fpbp

Symbolic of the lousy state of 90s pop. She was the only consistent hit generator during the decade and her songs are so processed and mechanical that she may as well have been a wind up toy that sings when you pull the string (Music Box, how fitting of an album title).

That was 88-89

But then William Orbit came and took her out of irrelevance by constructing the greatest pop album of the 90s and one of the greatest pop albums of all time.

Neither

the pic you posted is both though, not neither

>her songs are so processed and mechanical

definitely, and the production aesthetic is like the dumbest, most obvious, populist sound one could have made at the time. but there's something to say for something really done well and effectively at what it is. and Mariah unlike nearly every pop star since has actual, impressive talent herself.

It was that thing going in the 90s with chick singers (Mariah, Whitney, Celine, etc) who had enormous range but no feel at all, like they were just singing for the sake of it and had nothing to actually express in their music.

Mariah Carey [Columbia, 1990]

I swear I didn't know her mama was an opera singer, but then I'm embarrassed I didn't guess. She gets too brave in her idealistic young attack on war and deprivation, elsewhere she sticks to what she doesn't know--love. Debbie Gibson come back, all is forgiven. C+

Emotions [Columbia, 1991] *bomb*

Music Box [Columbia, 1993] *bomb*

Butterfly [Columbia, 1997] *bomb*

Rainbow [Columbia, 1999]

not a real R&B thrush, but good enough to fake it ("Heartbreaker", "Bliss") *

E=MC2 [Island, 2008]

"Touch My Body" *choice cuts*

To be completely fair, she started out as the 90s Adele (that is to say MOR/soccer mom anthems) and then album three was a weirder experiment in trying to sound like Celine Dion, which was apparently due to her husband at the time, since he'd produced Celine Dion. After that, she just tried to straight-up target 12 year old girls with generic, bad R&B and guest appearances from rappers.

new jack swing era

So, 1990-93.

both means neither

brutal

SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY

OOH! OOOooo!

LIKE NO ONE E-ELSE

OOH! OOoooo!

Yess

Is that real? Did he really spell his own fucking name wrong?

girly bubbly homosexual 90s

I got to see it late 90s and even then it was one of the top things I ever experienced.

>grungy
>masculine
Hahahahahah. And nah, I'll take the other stuff. 90s eurodance is some the best radio tier music ever made.

Alice in Chains and grunge in general

TLC was top tier.

Way better than Destiny's Child.

The jury's not out on who was hotter though. I'd say TLC, but Kelly Rowland with her bobbed hair was something.

cuties

post hardcore tbqh

there were hotter famous black chicks in the 90s

The 90s had such great over-the-top rnb sex jams:

youtube.com/watch?v=cP4yAnbtDZE
youtube.com/watch?v=kwEZRPkAAu8
youtube.com/watch?v=lbnoG2dsUk0

GAH

shit was outrageous

youtube.com/watch?v=uAXxkNaRkp8

what a bellend

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What an edgy faggot

>July 2000 magazine
>90s

ha didn't see that. but still they were 90s. and 2000 was like a slight overlap of 90s for a second, the way that 1990 was still an overlap of the 80s.

Yes it was an overlap, there were albums out that year like MMLP which still felt very 90s and others like The Sickness that were obviously 2000s.

Yeah, that whole slick, Y2K-y, Matrix-y aesthetic.

Not sure when that ended exactly, but one is tempted to say it was really replaced by that kind of post-TRL teenpop aesthetic (like streaked hair, ruffled skirts) around 911, turning the page to Paris Hilton and crunk. I guess the whole bling aesthetic that started in the late 90s really came to the fore and dominated then.

Californication and maybe Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (?) are albums that capture the general feel of that 99-00 period.

>September 10, 2001

>/sarcasm

back to you know where

Cobain was such a damn joke.

Hard to imagine another aesthetic idea propped up with so much supposed credibility be utterly BTFO by reality / history.

Although I suppose part of his downfall was merely a part of the larger downfall / failure of punk.