Howl's Moving Castle

This film is a masterpiece.

it's pretty good

its my favorite Miyazaki film

Nah but it's pretty great.

My favorite is Spirited Away.

Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso are masterpieces.
Hol's Moving Castle is an easy movie to make the western audience happy.

It was good. The book was way better though.

KIki's delivery service is my favorite but then the first one you see usually becomes your favorite.

Princess is a solid contender though.

But I loved the magic ITF

uh...listen..the book was way different..kind of close minded to compare the two
if im being perfectly honest

nonexistent plot, other than that it's great.

laputa will always be the best.

I named my cat Kiki after that movie.

Is Nausicaa good? I have yet to see it.

I always thought it was disappointing compared to his other films

Worst Miyazaki movie.

>not naming him Jiji
You had one job.

but that's not from up on poppy hill

>kind of close minded to compare a movie to the book it's based on

... how?

Isnt the cat called Jiji

From up on poppy hill is comfy as fuck though and aside from the contrived incest plot, a good film.

You're thinking of tales from earthsea.

It's the first time i hear that opinion. Laputa take elements both from Nausicaa and The Castle of Cagliostro without excelling in anything.

From Up on Poppy Hill and Tales From Earthsea. are both directed by his son Goro.

Tales of Earthsea was good though until about 1/3 through where it feels like a huge section of story is cut, and then it happens again

I don't know why Goro tried to shove all the characters into one book. Could have easily done the first book and slimmed down some of the events so it all fit

It's very good.

Goro is just his Alias for when he wants to release crappy movies. There is actually no Goro.

My favorite bit was when he spontaneously transformed into a dragon at the end to save the day. Best deus ex machina i've ever seen.

>Porco Rosso

Mah nigga.

I love that fucking film.
I get the same feeling watching Astrid's first flight in how to train your dragon as I do in Porco Rosso.

Goro stop blaming daddy for your failures in life.

Probably my least favorite Miyazaki movie - only thing I liked about it is the castle itself.

Rank'em faggots:

Spirited > Porco > Nausicca > Ponyo > Totoro > Laputa > Mononoke > Howls

...having said that, just because its my least favorite doesn't mean its a bad movie.

>no Kiki's

I haven't seen Howl, but it seems like a film most dislike but a few really love, pretty polar reactions. Why is that?

Havent seen it tbqhwyf. Recommend?

Spirited Away and Howl' Moving Castle got the better distribution of all Myiazaki movies so are the most popular in the west.
Who says Howl's Moving Castle is the best hasn't watched the whole filmography of the director.

The book is super comfy. The first sequel's pretty good as well.

Totoro > Kiki > Spirited Away > The Wind Rises > Lupin > Laputa > Porco Rosso > Princess Mononoke > Nausicaa > Ponyo > Howl

its shitty feminist trash

You can't come in a Myiazaki thread and complain about feminism. His movies are all full of strong independant woman protagonists.

It's good, it remembers me of when i went to live alone.

I didn't really like Spirited Away. What's the deal?

Dont worry user. You just have a case of shit taste

>naming a girl cat after a boy

nah. She has a hard enough life as it is being paraplegic.

I'm gonna compare it to Disney movies to explain it.

In Disney movies the protagonist is a princess that feel entitled to be happy.
The antagonist is a villain beyond redemption.

In Spirited Away the child learn the value of work as a mean to achieve personal freedom.
Yubaba and Faceless have committed the sin of being greedy but at the end of the movie you can sympathize with them.

The deal are the values Myiazaki was trying to convey children when filming Spirited Away.
Something that get lost in the capitalist mentality of Disney.

>Princess Mononoke

re FUCKING tweet

One of my favorite films of all time and I usually hate anime

>She has a hard enough life as it is being paraplegic.
damn, son... I didnt even notice.

If it makes you feel any better I don't think she does either. She still runs and climbs. She just, well, drags her back legs with her.

>She has a hard enough life as it is being paraplegic
FUCK YOU

Cute kitty :3

>personal freedom
Wasn't she saving her parents, comrade?

>Something lost in the capitalist mentality
I agree with that.

>MFW the only Miyazaki film I've seen is Spirited Away

Yes she was trying to save her parents but that doesn't exclude she was also trying to save herself.
Only workers or clients could stay at the bathhouse. If she didn't find a work she would have been eaten.

Same as every Miyazaki anime

nice kitter

just watch Porco Rosso and Kiki and die of comfiness

Why would Sen run down those steps then, comrade?

Do you mean figuratively or when she litterally run down the stairs to reach the boiler-man?

Howl was the first Miyazaki film that disappointed me.

I got you op. Thats my favorite gibli film.

Yes, the stairs to the boiler room. Also remember the tradition of sudoku in japan. I don't think she's saving herself at all, comrade.

Okay now you are just messing with me.

Listen you probably confused the plot with the message.
The plot is that she can't leave the spirit world, has to find a job to stay at the bathhouse, save her parents, remeber the names of Haku and herself that Yubaba stolen.
The message is that you have to work to achieve something in life.

Kiki and Porco are the comfiest.

>Listen you probably confused the plot with the message

Sup Forums in a nutshell. The plot IS the message, idiot. It's an allegory ffs.

>The plot IS the message

It's the weakest Miyazaki film.

Princess Mononoke is his best film.

How are you people ranking Mononoke so low?

That's not true, the plot doesn't necessarily overlap 1:1 with the message. Starship Trooper plot is quite warmonger, while it's message is satirical so it's diametrically the opposite.

Lupin and Laputa are better adventures. Spirited Away has superior atmosphere and subtext. Wind Rises and Porco Rosso are more personal. Kiki and Totoro are more sincere, distinctly quiet and introspective.

>Lupin and Laputa are better adventures

Hah. Fuck no.

>Spirited Away has superior atmosphere and subtext

How can you say Spirited Away has superior subtext and atmosphere when they go for two different things? Spirited Away is a coming of age story for a spoiled little girl that learns the value of hard work. The subtext that's there is great: The polluted river spirit, and the dry river in the beginning of the film. But Mononoke has Eboshi and Jigo, symbols of the march of progress and industrialization. And they were great. To this day people still think Eboshi and Jigo were villains in some way.

What are you doing man.

Did that blow your mind, kid?

What? The plot always makes the message. Only a postmodernist schizophrenic could say that parts of a film are disconnected.

oh.. youre actually retarded. thought you were just trolling for a second

>The message of spirited away is that you have to work to achieve something in life

Is this you?
kys.

Dude, i just made an example. C'mon kid i'm really trying to teach you something even tought you had been rude.

Not the same person.

Howl's is pretty mediocre

Totoro a best

The critical mistake being made is confusing the term Plot, which refers to the basic structure of characters and events, with the term Story, which encompasses not only the plot, but the manner in which the plot is presented. The same scene can be portrayed in multiple ways that alter how the content of the scene is perceived and how it is interpreted by the audience, and this is called directing.

With this in mind, the term Message refers to what an individual viewer believes the story is trying to convey or express, it's the conclusion of the interpretative process.

well done

moron

You were saying that the plot of a satire is separate from the message? I don't know what to say to that. Look up the definition of plot please. Maybe read Poetics by Aristotle? I think your brain has been corrupted by american "entertainment" (or Sup Forums).

Mononoke's adventure and drama feel half-baked and I thought Spirited Away was more subtle in its meaning. Like the greed of the characters reflecting the greed in the economic recession during the 80s. For me, Spirited Away's dreamlike world and coming of age was immediately more captivating than Mononoke which was similar to the Nausicaa anime but less heavy-handed and more nuanced in the environmental approach. Eboshi is a good character but I still think the movie is one of his least charming works.

Excuse me

Howls Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke have the best design, atmosphere and music as well as an engaging and moving story.
Also Reminder based Christian Bale voiced Howl.

>Also Reminder based Christian Bale voiced Howl.
So you like it because of a meme actor.
kys

>easy movie
I consider it controversial and weird. Miyazaki loves himself some anglo-female literature but for some reason Howl really went off the rails.

No that's just a plus, his voice acting was genuinely good.
(you)

I don't think I'm confusing anything, friend. Isn't the work of art the "message"? So every part of the piece of art must be meaningful. I don't understand you retards.

We really need separate boards for Sup Forums and /film/

I'm saying that there could be no satire if the message was forced to overlap with the plot.

Do you feel smart now that you have nominated Aristotele for no reason at all? I studied Aristotele in my European high school, that doesn't make me automatically win any discussion wich i take part.

>one of his least charming works.
I suspect Miyazaki was fairly depressed when he made it, it's what his only movie that features no flight?

Ponyo had a nice aesthetic whereas with Howl, it felt like Miyazaki didn't even know what he was doing.

>Tales of Earthsea was good though until about 1/3 through where it feels like a huge section of story is cut
They did that, they cut out major swathes of important story. They basically obliterated all of Ged's characterization. Nobody ever wants to do Earthsea justice. You'd think that with only... Like less than 10 white characters that this would be the right time to make that movie.

You are losing yourself in digressions. The problem is clearly that you don't know the correct therminology.

Now when you pit it like that, that's fair of you to think more of Spirited Away. Well said. But things like humans actually killing the forest spirit, other humans attempting to rectify such a thing only for the forest spirit to die anyway; how as long as you're alive you MUST keep going. That stuff was captivating for me.

>It's over. Everything's over. The forest is dead now.
>Nothing is over, the two of us are still alive. Now will you help me?

>We're done for. Once the forge burns that's it, that'll be the end of Iron Town.
>We're still alive Kuroku, we'll manage somehow! Now let's go!

>Even if all the trees return, it won't be his forest anymore. The great forest spirit is dead now.
>Never. He's life itself. He's not dead, San. He's here right now trying to tell us something. That it's time for both of us to live.

Let us agree to disagree on which is more captivating.

It's also the only one that ends on such a somber note. I suppose next to Naussica.

All works have meaning, we can agree on that. Point is, interpretation is a subjective process and any formulated reading of what the message is is likely to differ from everyone else's, so no work has one 'objective' message because there is no objective process to identify it. If there was, it'd render art static and dead and independent of thought.

Laputa, Howls moving castle and spirited away are the top tier.

Period.

Nah, howl acts like too much of a little bitch

Spirited was my favourite up until watching almost all of his major films.

When I saw Kiki though, wow changed my life.

holy crap user don't make me cry

No, I think I just have a different definition of the word message applied to art. I think yours is postmodern. I don't really see your argument beyond this. Something confusing about directing, idk.

Kiki is a good cute film but how the fuck can it change your life?

God tier opinion

It made him want to be the little girl?

“I think something's wrong with me. I make friends, then suddenly I can't bear to be with any of them. Seems like that other me, the cheerful and honest one, went away somewhere.”

Kiki is best Miyazaki character.

Lel but seriously, besides that. Unless that is the answer.

My nigga

Not as much as a masterpiece as MEME MAGIC