The Wire

I did that thing where you watch all of The Wire for the first time, and because I know everyone's eager to hear my anonymous opinions on the series, I'll say most of the hype surrounding it is justified, but while some told me it was flawless it definitely wasn't.

That said, fantastic series really. Like a novel series on television.

Season rankings 2 > 1/4 > 3 > 5.

I began to think season 5 was fucking stupid and worthless partway through and while it's certainly the weakest of them by a long shot it was quite entertaining, had a lot of strong moments, and ended with a love letter to Baltimore rather than more moaning over it (and yeah, the moaning is justified)

Season 2 was just lovely, though I didn't think it would be from how it started. Brilliant season. Brilliant show, really.

I suppose I'll ask for favorite characters and moments in case you want to post in this thread. I'm not sure who's my favorite, there's quite a few.

>What do you call those guys in chess that don't matter?
>Well, a blockaded bishop is of little value, but I think you're referring to a pawn.

Really made me think

crutchfield was the GOAT tbqh

>but while some told me it was flawless it definitely wasn't

It's my favorite show but there was always one major thing that bothered me about it and that is after the early seasons there is this constant want by a few of the characters to get "the wire team back together" which always reeked too much of a television plot to me for a story aiming for realism. I can understand a need for the characters to get closure over this, but I feel like the real reason it kept happening was it was what people would expect out of TV show rather than something the writers actually wanted to explore further.

Stringer was my favorite character.

My season ranking is exactly the same as yours OP, but for some reason season 2 gets quite a bit of flak.

frank sobotka was such a good character

I get why it does but I only ended up appreciating it more and more with the more I watched, especially with its placement.

IMMEDIATELY after a season firmly entrenched in inner city plight it shows that The Wire is about Baltimore, and that's it. All of Baltimore. The rest of the series also bounced around but S2 stuck it particularly well and was just SO fucking good first to last. So much good.

Fuck yeah he was

>MUH KANGS
It's a shame many people disregarded season 2 just because it focused on middle class whites. Although it was a wierd step from season 1, season 2 is great.

My favorite season would either be season 1 or season 4.

My favorite character would be McNulty, D'Angelo and Omar followed by Frank Sobotka and Stringer.

My season rankings: 1/4 > 3=2 > 5

season 2 was great*

Also my god Daniels was great in the end. Almost can't believe it since in season 1 he began showing signs of being just another shade of "needs to be a boss" police, but he proved time and again to be the most reasonable dude around. Too bad about his cunt ex-wife and her cunt ambitions.

My favourite character is Bodie. He was a good kid and I was sad when he died. He had a good wit and his cheek towards the cops was always funny.

my fav

too bad he killed his boy

Bodie may just be mine as well.

I didn't feel "bad" about him, but I thought his whole arc went very right. It was also nice how he was always there from the start, on the street

Man, this scene was so great and it's one of the main reasons I love The Wire so much. Both sides respecting each other and being all cool, just makes me wanna cry a bit.

You know I watched this after Chris Brown did that shit and Bodie looking like him made me not like his character. It didn't help when, well you know what he does to Wallace.

That's the thing I really like about The Wire, it challenges you to like the characters. They're not all good or all bad, they're human.

White guilt the character.

what a stupid post

Yeah, that scene is going to stay with me

Yeah fuckin' A. His interactions with McNulty were really great, it seemed like Bodie considered him like something of a father figure. McNulty is pretty flawed but he's based as fuck as well.

White what? Is that a reddit term?

What happened to Wallace honestly only made me like Bodie that much more. 1) Wallace had to die 2) Bodie could hardly do it

>It's a white hipsters hate season 2 because they're more concerned with niggers nigging than the decline of the working class episode

Another great scene was when they accidentally met Carver and Herk at the cinema, got me kinda surprised how laid back both sides were compared to interrogations just a couple of days before that

Is that it? OP here, I am a black person myself, but season 2's focus alone is a large part of why I love it so

>I am a black person myself

(You)

But shitposting aside, season2 gets heaps of hate from the usual crowd pissed off that it took the focus away from black drug dealers

The best

>>(You)
Had it coming but at least with this show and that post figured it was worth mentioning

Wanted to kill him after what he did yo wallace

But by season 4 (was it 5 ?) I knew the only thing bodie could do was playing the game.

He lived by the game and died by the game. I think in the end he ralized what he did to wallace was comming to him. That's why he fought like a lion.

Hilarious dude.

Dey dindu nuffin, dey good boys, need mo money fo dem programs, it's all da cracka's fault: the show.

>I didn't watch the show: the post

If anything the school scenes in season 4 could be interpreted as suggesting that black people are inherently dumber. If season 4 came out in 2016 I'm certain SJWs would jump on it as being racist.

This show is relentless toward everyone, blacks included.

And there are a lot of bad blacks in Baltimore.

this

anyone saying it's DINDU the show is outting themselves as never having made it beyond the 1st season, shit examines things on a level that wouldn't be touched in the current climate and doesn't dodge on it's portrayal

doesn't hurt that dude who wrote the show also wrote a book and another show revolving around the same ideas, and again didn't shy away from hard truths

bunny's arc is a terrific example if you're too stupid to look beyond HRR NIGGER and want something with a little more clarity for the sheltered who have trouble understanding anything that isn't chicken tendies and being tucked in

Yeah but why didn't they thought on that they shouldn't be appear together in public.

But he killed his pal, dammit.

did what had to be done playa, doesn't mean he liked it

he's one of my favs too, if only for the way he went out on his corner

wow, I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.

Quality post, man. Keep at it!

know you're trying to go full satire but it's ruined because he basically came right out and told them that without any metaphors at all and didn't teach them shit about playing actual chess, but your post was indeed deep and meaningful user

>focused on middle class whites.
working class. Jesus fuck, those guys were not middle class.

nope, not in those houses

They also weren't all white, just mostly