was akira actually a thing in the 80s or is it revisionist history

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Obp20OjFIrc
youtube.com/watch?v=qcOiJnWniWg
youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk
youtube.com/watch?v=Lei4zhwsa_k
youtu.be/LLygOy5vSw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was a thing in the eighties in Japan, in the rest of the world it came to fame much after.

Well considering my normie as fuck older brother who lived in a shit area in the UK had it on vhs at the time should speak volumes.

I can remember when I was a kid in the early 90s seeing adverts for it in the back of nintendo magazines and stuff, it seemed like this unbelievably cool exotic thing that I was missing out on and I used to imagine what it was like. Blew me away when I finally saw it a few years later

It's a thing in my part of world. I don't know about the west.

yes, like 3 years later in futuristic 1991

why do kids like this movie so much? It has terribly aged animation and bad voice acting

REMINDER IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN
TOKYO 2020

I saw it on scifi channel

youtube.com/watch?v=Obp20OjFIrc

It literally changed the way big budget anime films were made

Also you're wrong, fuckhead

tell me why I'm wrong, fuckhead

use your big words

Wings of Honneamise and Venus Wars were both more impressive than Akira and were released a year before and after it.

still looks great to me

>It has terribly aged animation

lmao

>tfw you will never get your hard cock out at the Akira rally and be laughed at by everyone

yeah but you actually have to not be a pleb to be impressed by those. Akira works for everyone.

what I meant was every animation except the obvious final battle showdown

THAT... PEABRAIN

that's still hilariously wrong

>It literally changed the way big budget anime films were made
Not at all?

Pretty good movie. Ending is a little batshit though.

Would recommend watching to someone who enjoys rebellious teens finding their way in the world.

So did I... Back when that channel was actually worth a damn.

youtube.com/watch?v=qcOiJnWniWg

Everyone with taste remembers the opening motorcycle chase above all else.

THAT BIKE WOULD GRIND YOU UP AND SPIT OUT THE SEEDS, SPORT!

Yeah, my dad's a big fan of Dead Poets' Society. I bet he'd love Akira.

No internet or smartphone. AKIRA BTFO

go rewatch the first 20min of the movie

>implying that isn't the best part

In UK you could find VHS of it at any store. Same for the Dragon Ball movies or Hokuto no Ken or Ghost in the Shell or Street Fighter the animated movie or Ninja Scroll
Anime was much more popular in the west in the 90's than it is now

yes

it's literally the main reason for the popularization of anime in the west

No it's not.

Like it or not that was dbz, and the toonami shows that surrounded it.

anime would of become popular no matter what desu

Topkek dude. Europe was struck by anime fever 10 years before your toonami shit

Anime did exist in the west before, several shows aired on tv with moderate success. Voltron for instance which had a power rangers esque adaptation.

It just wasn't widely successful, and there was about as much piracy and tape trading as there is now because of how "underground" it was.

No... it was Akira and Ghost in the Shell... Toonami helped but it was basically phase two of the Western anime movement at the time. The adult kino was the true beginning with serialized things like DBZ and Sailor Moon coming it after.

There were weebs before toonami you know. Anime was sought after by older than average audience because they exotic, violent, and edgy (in the proper sense of the word)

Also there are other countries than USA which have their own networks and shows that got a younger generation into it.

>true beginning
>not Italians stealing Mobile Suit Gundam
>not the lost English dubs of the Animerama Trilogy
pleb

We're talking within a specific Western context ,from the comment about popularizing anime in the West, and mainly from an American perspective.

>west
>only America
Talking about America is fine but don't get screwy with the terms. Europe is western.

America only imported what was already filtered, censored and dubbed by Europe

Actually it started with Great Mazinger

"specific context"... Fucking britbongs.

Not a britbong, Australian. We were the first country outside of Japan to show Evangelion start to finish on tv. Beat that, faggots.

Yeah, why didn't it feature something modern, like CGI talking animals that reference pop-culture?

i don't think 2d animation really ages, unlike 3d which looks like shit after five years.

Look out for that spider!

youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk

you know, I've thought about it.. and you're right

The big black spiders stopped invading my room every night a couple of weeks ago. I'm good right now.

Not that guy but before then anime was low-budget and corners were cut. If you compare the animation to others of that time you can clearly see it's a whole other level of animation. It makes older simpsons animation look like shit, and older simpsons animation makes modern simpsons animation look like shit.

Hell, compare it to other modern anime and you can see a lot of love and labor and passion went into animating it. The movie itself is convoluted and short, but the animation is top-notch. (I prefer the manga but you can't deny the anime movie is god-tier.)

A lot of anime signature style is due to cost saving techniques. "Sliding" backdrop shots, long dialog with extreme closeups, re-used footage. Akira has some but they really went all out with the detail, colour and lipsyncing.

before Akira
>Wings of Honneamise
>One Thousand and One Nights
>Belladonna of Sadness
>Nausicaa
>Macross: Do You Remember Love?
>Ideon: Be Invoked

Post-Akira
>Dragon Ball Super

Think this through user

It's easy to explain why. The toys industry was still going strong in the 80's in the US. And since cartoons were basically ads for toys there were still lot of american shows to broadcast. The new japanese centered videogames market with Nintendo and Sega destroyed the toys market in the 90's. So no point to broadcast US cartoons anymore. And since anime were cheap and abundant they started to broadcast them.
So basically anime was imported in USA because of Nintendo and Sega. It truly was a full japanese conspiracy.

The first half of Akira is so much better than the second half that it makes me sad.

If the second half was as good as the first it would be GOAT.

Post numbers or stfu. An OVA that's 40 min long can take advantage of a moderate budget, but Akira was a whole other level. It's like comparing The Thing to Terminator 2, both are great but T2 went all-out in terms of spectacle.

Then again I am not a weaboo so take that as you will.

Less than half million at the box office world wide.

Just more proof it was niche.

Stuff like Shogun Warriors,Robotech,Voltron Speed Racer, Star Blazers, Transformers were pretty popular bro

Absolute babbies all of you.

This guy is closer. Speed racer and Gatchaman in particular were early in my memory. And not counting those there were an awful lot of other random shows that were dubbed into English.
Dogtanian, Willy Fogg, Pinocchio, Saber Rider, Mysterious cities of gold. Not to mention the animation influence in western toy spinoff shows like Starcom and possibly every title sequence for any notable kids cartoon in the 90s.

I remember being at a high school valorvictorian dinner and all these normie chads would not shut up about either The Matrix, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction , Dazed and Confused and Akira. I haven't watched either of those out of complete disgust to Reddit culture since.

You are objectively wrong, but i'll provide proof.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lei4zhwsa_k

>It literally changed the way big budget anime films were made
>before then anime was low-budget and corners were cut
You know what actually changed the way anime worked?
Japanese economic bubble. Akira was not a gamechanger, it was just one of the vanity projects produced during that period, much like the entire OVA industry. Animation studios were willing to throw money around and take risks even if they weren't going to pay for themselves Neither Akira nor Wings of Honnemaise did. Hell, Wings of Honnemaise flopped hard but Gainax still tried to make a sequel to it.

Once the bubble died down the entire big budget animation production had to downscale massively and there was very little hope for it until Evangelion reinvented merchandising.

>An OVA that's 40 min
He hasn't named a single OVA. All of those are full sized movies.

I don't know, ask the board that's made for discussing anime.

It's weird how anime had small bursts of popularity in various decades that burnt out quick. Like Saint Seiya/Legends of Zodiac was a modest forgettable hit in Japan but blew up in Europe/Latin America. Totally ignored in US/Canada/Australia and Britain though.

EPIIIIIIIIC!

Yeah, it's great!

Oldfag here you hadn't lived life properly in the UK if you hadn't at least seen Akira, GITS, Patlabor and Ninja Scroll, Street Fighter II at some stage of your life growing up in the late 80's and through the 90's

Neo Sup Forums everyone

youtu.be/LLygOy5vSw8

No Golgo 13?

>terribly aged animation
Ever seen Heavy Metal?

Tumblr enters the battle

Yeah I forgot about Golgo and Lupin the Third Castle Of Cagliostro

Well it was vaguely related to greek mythology. The whole thing was a big scam made to sell super expensive toys though

Bryan Cranston was in the original dub for the former before he got famous.

Yes, the most famous cyberpunk movie of the 80s is considered good because of a revisionism that OP made up in his mind