Rock is dead and irrelevant

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Radiohead's praise comes from the fact that they "destroyed" rock music and became a primarily electronic act. Their success is evident of rock's death, not continued relevance.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>King Gizzard, The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bzUPG8olnO0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think I saw this thread a few months back. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Sup Forums is just a Groundhog Day system in disguise.

>culturally relevant

define

Radiohead

>please note that every answer you could possibly give is incorrect

yeah, you're retarded

youtube.com/watch?v=bzUPG8olnO0

it's a common copypasta
>responding to this ancient bait

All that being "culturally relevant" means is being part of the capitalist market. Rock isn't the music of the youths anymore so you're correct OP, it isn't being exploited by white culture anymore. Now that's Rap/Hip Hop.

Rock was only good from 1940-1960
Rap/Hip Hop was only good from 1975-1995

Radiohead's praise comes from the fact that they "destroyed" rock music and became a primarily electronic act. Their success is evident of rock's death, not continued relevance.

LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire are rock bands....

Being relevant to the culture we live in, as in not being a fad or disposable and continuing to be remembered. Notable culturally relevant artists include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Eminem, Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Drake, and Nirvana.
Because all of those answers are incorrect and I'd rather save time.
>Radiohead's praise comes from the fact that they "destroyed" rock music and became a primarily electronic act. Their success is evident of rock's death, not continued relevance.

Autism: the post

of Montreal

I think I saw this thread a few months back. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Sup Forums is just a Groundhog Day system in disguise.

Not as autistic as listening to rock in 2017.
Too niche.

But what was good between 1960 and 1975?

Classical music, when Minimalism wasn't corporate and Postmodern musical compositions were still fresh and innovative.

/thread

Also
>arcade fire isn't a rock band

Funeral was one of the most acclaimed rock albums of the past decennium

>Kanye
>Drake

ok...now you are just larping.

beat happening

:D

Cage the elephant.
The black keys

How are Kanye and Drake not culturally relevant? Do you ever interact with people irl?
Too niche.

Neither are critically acclaimed.

How are Tame Impala not culturally relevant? Do you ever interact with people irl?

Deftones

Have you listen to In Rainbows? Is more rock than electronica. You could argue the same with a Moonshaped pool.

Tame Impala have an associated "hipster" or "college student" or "young white people" steryotype associated with them. On the other hand, Drake and Kanye do not. Everyone listens to them.

Not culturally relevant.

most culturally relevant rock is garbage anyways esp KISS

I've heard their entire discography. It doesn't matter what's more rock or more electronic. Radiohead represent the cultural irrelevancy of rock music, as they are praised primarily from moving away from it.

Lots of people are part of that demographic.
Sounds like cultural relevance to me.

Cage the elephant won a Grammy and black keys first album was given 5 stars when it came out in rolling Stones
And brothers was given grate reviews too

Drake is not critically aclaimed though.

>No culturally relevant.
And what about the whole 10-year nu-metal era they crated and influenced? They're praised as being an inspiration by many massive-selling bands like Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit and tons of others. What about all those post-metal newfag bands that came up after Deftones started playing something similar to it?

>On the other hand, Drake and Kanye do not

False, I like and listen to Kanye, but most people I know dislike him personally and since most people don't have the emotional maturity to seperate the art from the artist, a lot of people avoid his music ( certainly since his last scandals and his music getting "too experimental")

Never cared for Drake

Metal has not been culturally relevant since the 80s.

Still not culturally relevant.

Yes he is.

The fact that so many actively dislike Kanye is indicative of his cultural relevance.

Are summer-friends really responding to this copypasta?

Stop it.

21 Pilots

Cage the Elephant is literally the perfect answer, I didn't think about that
I don't even like them

>Metal has not been culturally relevant since the 80s.
Fucking wot? You said that? Also, you understand that nu metal isn't really a metal?

>Also, you understand that nu metal isn't really a metal?
Oh is it an alloy?

OK I guess this is a good answer. They are acclaimed, popular, not a niche and rock.

You win, I lose

End even more don't give a single shit about either of them
I'm not arguing he's famous, but you are overrating his recent relevance ( which has been built way more on his persona than his musical merit)

This is a fake Gene Simmons.

Cage the Elephant are not culturally relevant or critically acclaimed.

Linkin Park you dumb fucks.

And if OP says it's not culturally relevant he can go fuck himself through a dead goose. They created a fucking hysteria around themselves.

This is the fake Gene Simmons

I admit that Rock is still alive.

Not critically acclaimed.

Okay than name one artist.

Easy, Soundgarden.

Yes, that is true. I guess Rock is alive.

Please stop posting and confusing people. We are trying to have a civilized discussion.

That is also true.

21 Pilots

>Muse
>not critically acclaimed
wat

Oh shit forgot my name.

Soundgarden lack longevity. They're a "90s band" that were popular and acclaimed just like Smashing Pumpkins but ultimately didn't have the lasting cultural impact Nirvana did.

stop replying to bait

saged

>Not critically acclaimed
Nirvana was a shitty band too.

They single handedly changed the face of popular culture and are the most recent rock band to be culturally relevant.

>They single handedly changed the face of popular culture
>Single handedly
Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains. They made it altogether, not just Nirvana.
>are the most recent rock band to be culturally relevant
Linkin. Park.

All of those bands gained the success riding Nirvana's coattails. The fact that they were popular is indicative of how Nirvana changed the face of popular culture.

Linkin Park are not critically acclaimed or culturally relevant.

>Everyone listens to them.

proof that you are full of shit.

Go outside.

Gone too b8 for me. I'm leaving.

What cultural impact had Nirvana anyway? Having their logo slapped on shirts? Being periodically posted on facebook by people who are less than 19 years old? Being the catalyst for god awful bands like Nickelback and Puddle of Mud?
The whole grunge movement was just a reaction of distress caused by the whole glam metal movement, and died with it. It was the swansong of the rockstar character, of the handsome bastard on tv that makes your girlfriend wet. The indie, emo, post rock, shoegaze, slowcore, literally EVERYTHING was thriving in the underground scene, always pushing the bar higher for further experimentation. And you expect the whole genre of rock music to give a shit about Nirvana, lol.

Hey gene why are you conveniently ignoring twenty one pilots?

>The fact that so many actively dislike Kanye is indicative of his cultural relevance.

that is some assbackwards rationalization on your part. Logic not your strong suite?

By this metric Rebecca Black is "culturally relevant"

try again Skippy. You cant make patently false statements and expect people to take you seriously.

They're some newfag Katy Perry rip-off.

But culturally relevant music (unless the only reason it's considered "culturally relavent" is because the lyrics relate to what's going on now) is bad

are you using Rock as hard rock, or an umbrella term as "rock n roll"?

If the latter, you have the whole industrial and grunge scene + alt rock

You're completely right, OP. Fortunately I don't give a fuck about universal acclaim or cultural relevance.

>The Mars Volta
>You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance
Oh, because that's all that matters.

On top of my head I can only think about two RnR bands that completely got into the mainstream, and those would be Nirvana and Marilyn Manson

>King Gizzard, The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant.

Wew lad, can say almost everyone I've ever spoken to knows at least half of these bands. They are not niche in any way.
8/10 bait actually got me feathers fluffed a Lil

Linkin Park aren't acclaimed but in the 00's you couldn't have escaped them and up until 2012 they were still somehow relevant for shifting to electronic music,they're latest piece of shit had most people outraged and their firsr two albums are still getting memed about. OP ffs rock isn't dead,it's just not as relevant as it was. This thread is shit and you are a retarded faggot.

I saw Steve Hackett in concert the other week at the London Palladium and it was fully booked.

My bloody valentine is the greatest rock band of all time. They combine pure noise, pop, and sexual vibes into a divine sound. They made the greatest EP of all time - You made me realise. They made one of the greatest albums - loveless. They created a genre. No band has been able to reproduce or beat them at their own game. Rock will come back. Right now rap is dead and hip hop is alive. The mumble trash has taken over. Soon the children will realize the guitar's ability and potential.

>critically acclaimed

let me see if I have this straight,

when a person paid to review music likes or dislikes it, this impacts the quality of the music? Does it collapse the musical wave function?

but if you want to continue choosing what you like this way.... good luck

Dean Martin - Return to Me

>All of those bands gained the success riding Nirvana's coattails
Soundgarden and Alice in Chains had hits before Nirvana did.

Rock must be underground to reborn.

Prog

>The Strokes aren't culturally relevant.
LMAO

OP goes the extra mile on being a faggot

Oh, look. It's another "rock is dead" thread that is getting a lot of bait and shitposting.

Am i at reddit again? Am i at middle school? Is this Sup Forums?

>tool are not critically acclaimed
maybe in your fantasy world they arent

I know this is a copypasta, but imma respond anyway with Phoenix.

>Green Day isn't critically acclaimed

Bullshit

Nine Inch Nails

>Green Day isn't critically acclaimed

Nirvana

Easy,

>Green Day

Don't worry nigger, the day of the Rock will come soon enough.

>this pasta is back

What that mean?

Nirvana brought Rock character, emotion, and deep lyrics whereas it was just pure power ballads at the time. Nirvana changed the Rock genre, and made it great again.

gg friend, I win

>All of those stipulations

This is a troll thread, right?

Rock is better when it's underground. Why does it matter if it's "culturally relevant?"

>70's hip-hop and rap
All garbage. Hip-hop wasn't good until the mid/late 80's.