What do you think of Alien 3, Sup Forums?

What do you think of Alien 3, Sup Forums?

A masterpiece

Flawed but enjoyable

What is the best version of this again?
I remember the directors cut being very, very different from the original and extended theatrical cut.

Unfairly hated on, it's enjoysble

pretty fucking bad,yeah.

Directors

Alien >>>>> Alien 3 > Aliens

The backlash against it was excessive, especially when you read what a clusterfuck production was.
To have gotten something as solid as this out of that hot mess is seriously impressive.

The Assembly Cut is the best version

thanks

goes a bit far, I can forgive the raping of the alien concept let's say to all other points of the movie, the aliens are used in a good way, not excessive and all other character interaction is top notch.
It holds up as a stand alone bug hunt action movie really, really well.
But yeah, Alien is something special.

assembly cut is the best don't listen to him

>Alien 3

objective taste user.

What's wrong with the directors cut?

not as bad as Alien 4

Aliens > Alien > Resurrection > my anal fissure that keeps coming back > 3

I have the quadrology and what 3 might have been hurts. The best version would have been Aliens but on earth. Possibly a visit to the xenomorph homeworld, and more androids. Fuck.

>Liking Ressurection

Fuck you

There is no such thing as a "director's cut" of Alien^3. That's why we call the long version "assembly cut" to begin with - because Fincher told a guy from the crew years later that they could do whatever they wanted with it, he didn't care, "only DON'T call it a director's cut", he said (or words to that effect) "because it isn't one." Hence, Assembly Cut.

A very similar, much older concept: if for whatever reason a director disowns a film, or a cut of a film, there is an industry tradition of then crediting the film to "Alan Smithee". An intelligence-insulting extended version of David Lynch's Dune is thus credited to Smithee, as is Hellraiser 4 IIRC.

So some other guy, a producer or a cameraman or something, cut together the somewhat less god-awful version.

>liking 3

Fuck you too, pal. Resurrection at least has good memorable characters and something other than fuck all of a plot.

>Aliens above Alien
>Resurrection anywhere near either of them

I didn't know that it was possible to have such shitty taste.

It was okay.
Dillon was one of the better characters of the entire franchise.

What did Jeunet mean by that?

>3 before Aliens
kys

>good memorable characters

I strongly disagree. The one performance in the film that I actually like is that of Brad Dourif. Even Sigourney is literally playing a husk of the old character. Ron Perlman is an unlikeable asshole, Winona Ryder is a twee animal rights activist, and the rest of the mothership's crew are god-awful. There is no one here for me to care about, and yes, in order that the movie be good, it is necessary that I care about, find interesteing, or even like one character at least a little bit. Token Black Guy is exactly that, and nothing more is done with his character. Even the cripple being shoehorned into the film and surviving feels like a 90's PC cringe-move. It's like they took Captain Planet or pic related and shoehorned it into a scifi movie.

Nah, although your point is much more defensible, I still disagree.

Severely underrated.

nowhere near as good as Alien
but is not as bad as people make it seem

A lot of the hate for it comes simply from the fact that it shits all over the ending of Aliens and kills Newt and Hicks in the first five minutes. If you can get over that and a few instances of spotty 90's CGI then it's still a really solid movie - especially considering what a fucking disaster the production was. Great gothic atmosphere, some good side-characters in the prionsers (Golic, Morse, the doctor) and a satisfying conclusion for Ripley that Resurrection immediately ruined and Sigorney Weaver plans to ruin further by just pretending that 3 doesn't exist.

For all of its flaws I still prefer it over Aliens because it at least treats the alien as a terrifying creature again instead of cannon fodder.

You're right, except about Sigourney. Ripley 8 gives me a big ol' boner.

You make it sound like Sig has any script approval. She's just an actress, bro.