Find a flaw.

[spoiler]Specifically with the last track.[/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QFvt2cNSOaM
vickychow.bandcamp.com/album/michael-gordon-sonatra
youtube.com/watch?v=Um2dgR1yelU
youtube.com/watch?v=OW069qKg4tU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Death Grips are more of a skit or performance (like a live drama) than they are a music group. Like a 3 man Broadway play or something.

this whole mix is incoherent. the thing that makes death grips great is their loud, angry, abrasiveness, while still being coherent. on this record it seemed they were just being all those things for the sake of it.

that's not a flaw. music is an art.

Well it's a flaw if you consider them musicians. They're artists for sure, but they're fundamentally not doing the same thing as, say, Mozart.

video games are art

the music itself is shit, it sounds like it was produced by a 14 years old

lol take that back.

i mean the thing that makes an artist special is their aesthetic in sound and style. so many people miss that when trying to make music. people will start a rock band and have no formulated sound or aesthetic to the group and ultimately fail. death grips created an angry, detatched, cynical style/character and express it through music. you could go down a list of the most critically acclaimed artists and pinpoint a sound and aesthetic. thats what makes an artist great and not just another rock band. i think it's also great how only 3 guys put together some of the most consistent and interesting critically acclaimed music with at least a somewhat popular following when you compare the credit listing to other modern critically acclaimed artists.

also yes, althought the shittiest and most corporately controlled form of popular modern art. there is a huge distatchment from human touch in video games when compared to other forms of art like music or film. i'm not sure what point youre trying to make.

Style/Aesthetic with regard to music is secondary and superficial and more of an emergent effect rather than the goal. Kind of in the same way that someone's accent is incidental, and not really relevant to the information that they're speaking. Like you wouldn't care if someone had a southern accent if they were telling you how to get to the hospital (unless you couldn't understand them).

Musical information isn't the sound of the drums or the sound of the guitars, it's the music behind the instruments, and death grips doesn't really do that. They do it somewhat, but it isn't their primary focus. They're more just putting on a performance.

I like death grips, but they're not primarily music artists.

>they're not primarily music artists.
this
its more about image than music, they've got a "cool" visual aesthetic and a "cool" reputation, so manbabies and underages eat it because they like everything cool
if they didn't care about image they would already be forgotten

idk man, I feel like with great artists you can hear their aesthetic through their music. I'm saying combining both personal and sound aesthetic together is what makes an artist great. You don't even have to follow the band members to understand an aesthetic. If the music sets a listening theme and atmosphere that's genuinely interesting, they will gain a following. There are tons of people who are great technically with instruments but totally miss the importance of having a significant aesthetic. I've always thought Death Grips primarily get their point across through their music and decide to follow through in their personal lives. When I first began listening to them and didn't follow any member, but I could still grasp the atmosphere and aesthetic they were going for through their music.

> there is a huge distatchment from human touch in video games when compared to other forms of art like music or film. i'm not sure what point youre trying to make.
not true btw youtube.com/watch?v=QFvt2cNSOaM

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Of course they have their own distinguishing flavor, but what I'm saying is that they're fundamentally not doing the same thing that Mozart is doing.

Like Dali is a great painter who definitely had his own style/aesthetic, but he's not a musician. But he wasn't a musician, primarily.

Does that make it a flaw though? Music in modern culture is completely different from what it was when fucking Mozart was composing. For the past better half of a century music has been based around a band/artist and their sound style and aesthetic. I'm not comparing Death Grips to Mozart when judging their music. I'm comparing them to modern artists that are involved in the same culture. It doesn't even have to be modern artists. Since the 1950s music artists have been judged by their sound style and aesthetic. I don't think that's a flaw, unless you'd consider all modern music inherently flawed, which in that case I'm not sure why you'd be on this board in the first place.

vickychow.bandcamp.com/album/michael-gordon-sonatra

I consider it one track desu

If you consider them as purely music artists, yes, they it does make it a flaw, because you can't translate death grips to any other style other than Death Grips.

Beethovens 5th is Beethovens 5th whether it's being played by an orchestra or a death metal band or a folk guitarist. Name me one Death Grips song that you could say the same for. Music artists make musical ideas. The aesthetics come from the notes and chords, not from the timbre of the kick drum.

This isn't just a death grips problem you're talking about then. Tell me any modern artist or band you could do this for. It's 3 guys making music with a unique formulated sound and style. Music doesn't have to come from a specific place to make it music. It's a combination of sounds made by humans with the intent of harmony and expression of emotion. That's what music is. I do consider Death Grips music artists because this is what they make.

> Tell me any modern artist or band you could do this for.
youtube.com/watch?v=Um2dgR1yelU

would love to see dg pull this off. oh wait they can't

Any well known rock band from the past 60 years you could say that for, basically. You'd instantly recognize Come As You Are by Nirvana if someone were playing it just on a Keyboard.

The thing that makes it great is that it's aesthetic is recognizable no matter what style it's being played in. It's the idea or the spirit of the melody that is the music.

Yawn

have fun jerking off to ableton live made music bud.

Okay, fair point. Is that the thing that makes it great though? The fact that it has chords that can be replicated through any instrument that follows notes? Music isn't defined by that. In fact I'd say it's evolving past that with electronic and hip hop music being much more popular currently. What makes music great to me is the unique sound the artists make themselves. Look at an album like Loveless or any sort of dreamy gaze music. You can't replicate that through another environment and be able to actually call it Loveless anymore. How about a lot of generally weird psych rock or experimental genre of any kind that doesn't base itself off of notes. I think that's what makes music such a great art is the fact that you don't have to follow chords or notes much at all and still make a masterpiece. I guess you technically can still recreate death grips music through other instrumental environments youtube.com/watch?v=OW069qKg4tU but what would be the point? It's the unique sound and aesthetic the 3 people created that makes it special and makes it an art. I don't give a shit if art can be recreated through a formula or not. Someone can repaint the mona lisa, but what would be the point?

Yes, music that can be remembered through time without needing a specific context to be interpreted is absolutely the hallmark of great music.

I'm not saying Death Grips isn't good. I actually really like Death Grips. I'm just saying that it's fundamentally not the same thing that Mozart or The Beatles or any other western musical artists has done/is doing. It's more leaning toward like a skit or a broadway play or something like that.

And on the loveless thing, I agree that their style is more memorable than the melodies that they wrote, which is why they will be remembered for that and not their songwriting abilities.

But I'm contending that songwriting is what counts most, because it's actually working with ideas in an abstract way. It's like the information of music, and not a superficial aspect like the timbre of the guitar or something. All of that stuff should be seen as secondary.

why do the tidal flacs sound worse

Sure it's not fundamentally the same, but it's fundamentally still music and just because it doesn't follow the same formula as other music shouldn't be viewed as a flaw. It's art through sound. I don't need to follow any of the members to enjoy the music.
I also disagree with this. Personally lyrics have very little affect on me and I've seen others state the same. There's definitely interesting concepts that people express lyrically, which are interesting to follow. I also enjoy understanding the context of the albums lyrics where it creates somewhat of a story, but the individual line by line lyrics really have never meant much to me. I think the vocal flow and sound are always of big importance though. The music is the one moving and changing my emotions when listening to it. You can write the same lyrics on a heavy hitting metal or rap track as you could on a soft melodic rock song and it would have a much different affect on my emotions and how I move to the song. I think we really just stand at two different sides of a listening spectrum.

STOIC GIRL

Someone speaking a poem is technically art through sound, but does that make it music? Poetry ideas come from words. Likewise, music ideas come from melodies and chords and such.

expression of emotion through harmony. If someome is singing a capella it is music. if someone is speaking a poem to a simple one two beat it is music. doesn't have to be melodic or have any chord usage at all. death grips is music man.