I'm trying to understand what differentiates glam rock as an actual genre of music...

I'm trying to understand what differentiates glam rock as an actual genre of music. It seems more like grunge to me in that it was a music scene because all the glam rock acts I've listened to don't sound anything like each other.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nItuhuY1U04
youtube.com/watch?v=eUJ_ifjKopM
youtube.com/watch?v=mBY7a2x3A08
youtube.com/watch?v=EQfidTOTsLo
youtube.com/watch?v=DJ4QoCskBN4
youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4dEAtxo0M
youtube.com/watch?v=cFpsMiMi3Rw
youtube.com/watch?v=ooTKGQpdqNY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

glam rock in general is more of a general approach to showmanship and marketing, it's neither a scene nor a cohesive genre.

However, a lot of it features groovy songwriting and decadent male vocals that can be traced back either to Bowie or to Elvis.

You're not suggesting that Glam Rock musicians were all pedophiles are you user?

>genres are only real if they can be identified soundwise!
autism

Glam rock and glam metal is just pop metal that has short, simple song structure usually relating to an aesthetic of sex and partying

Glam Rock =/= Glam Metal

To me, glam rock consists of two artists: David Bowie and Marc Bolan, and just refers to their general combination of androgyny/starchild/fuzzed-out guitars.

Roxy Music is more art rock, New York Dolls are proto-punk, Gary Glitter is a joke, Lou Reed mimicked it for a laugh, and Alice Cooper is something else entirely.

Glam rock is vague musically, but glam metal has very distinct musical qualities such as:
-nasal high-pitched shouts with a twangy delivery
-blues song structures
-more focus on the bassline
-very groovy mid-paced riffs
-written mostly in pentatonic blues or jazz scales
-reverbed snares
-male choir backing vocals
-lots of power ballads

listen to Semargl and Ratt back-to-back and you'll immediately see that there's a massive difference between pop metal and glam metal

Can't really put it any better than pic related, desu

Glam Rock sounds both artsy and popish, with lots of theatrics, lots of folk influence.
They often have kind of pop bubble gum background singing and somewhat complex song structure that is theatric/has different parts of the song to convey different movements/plot parts of the song

themes are often sex, androgyny, spacey shit, consumerism, sleaziness

youtube.com/watch?v=nItuhuY1U04

youtube.com/watch?v=eUJ_ifjKopM

youtube.com/watch?v=mBY7a2x3A08

How the Sparks weren't bigger in the US, I'll never know.

What did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=EQfidTOTsLo

Discovered these guys way to late in life:
youtube.com/watch?v=DJ4QoCskBN4

Rate my glam

all of these are true except
>more focus on the bassline
glam metal bass lines were laughable
youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4dEAtxo0M

I'm not sure how Patti Smith's Glam, but pretty good selection

I wasn't sure where to put her since it sounded more like the artists in the glam scene than the ones later in the punk scene

yeah they were simple as fuck but they were put forward in the mix and the song was structured around them

Nah.

youtube.com/watch?v=cFpsMiMi3Rw

Absolutely based.

youtube.com/watch?v=ooTKGQpdqNY

Glam is just rockabilly with makeup.