This is their best album. It's the perfect combination of raw sound and production

This is their best album. It's the perfect combination of raw sound and production.

It's one of the best albums in rock history - period.

Love this cover art.

it's a very cold album. not raw at all and i don't understand how anyone thinks the production on this stale overrated trash is atmospheric in any way

You're a damned fool.

the only problem I have with this album is how quiet it is on some songs

I like Unknown Pleasures fine, but it's not perfect. The production isn't as good as it got on Closer, where it has this uniform miasma about it that's really satisfying. On UP it works on a majority of the songs but then you get some bullshit like the senseless noises on Insight.

You've also got Wilderness which isn't a very good song at all, and Candidate which is serviceable but kind of lackluster I think, while Closer doesn't have a single song that's even just average. Could Closer have used a Shadowplay maybe, but it has this beauty to songs like Decades that UP never touches.

i wish i was. i hear about how dark and atmospheric this album is all the time, but the whole thing is basically a bunch of punk songs slowed down with a hint of reverb and some sound effects. it's not unbearably bad but the fact that people claim it's a classic or it's anything above average is crazy to me

The songs like Shadowplay are Joy Division at their best. How can Closer be their best album without a song like that?

Great production, lyrics

Horrible singer

this

UP has more iconic individual songs but Closer is the better overall album.

Disorder is good, the rest is pretty meh. Licht Und Blindheit is better as an album if you're willing to count it as one.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of the most overrated songs to ever enter the canon

Never got why Disorder is put on a pedestal. New Dawn Fades, Shadowplay and She's Lost Control are all better, arguably even Day of the Lords.

Closer is more subtle. Take Passover for example, probably the least talked about thing on there. I think it's a deceptively masterful song. It's very simple poetry, but has a quiet, creeping doom to it that is lost on JD's more raucous songs like Transmission. In spirit, I think the essence of Shadowplay/New Dawn Fades is there in songs like Isolation/Twenty Four Hours, but deconstructed. It's better for it.

It's pretty straightforward I guess. Maybe it wears down after a handful listens.

First song syndrome.

Man, Passover is so damn good. It's like the second or third best song on the album.

Ok,but pic related is the best post-punk album ever.

It is very experimental, like a teenager trying to figure out which clique they fit into. You have tracks like Candidate and Interzone, where the bass and synth are the main aspects of the songs. And then you have the metal riffing of Day of The Lords and New Dawn Fades, while still maintaining their ground in punk on She's Lost Control and Shadowplay.

Their best album? No. But it does deserve an 8.5 or higher solely because of the lyrical content and how fucking GOOD it is fuck you

Interzone? That's the most punk song on the album

Atmosphere is the best JD song

Can anybody recomend contemporary bans that sound like JD?

Easily one of the most overrated records ever. It's hard to name a worse post-punk band than Joy Division.

Protomartyr

Thanks, anything else?

Ulver

Warzaw