/classical/

How do you guys feel about Boulez?

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The beautiful, elegant, intelligent user who made this, added a little of everything in here. There's a lot of Deutsche Gramophone recordings too.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmErwN02fX0
youtube.com/watch?v=MS82nF85_gA
youtube.com/watch?v=Du6M96E8KyE
youtube.com/watch?v=FTU7ekTUJ2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=xUKzVqBQP0c
youtube.com/watch?v=EIjpSI0t54s
youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=yVIRcnlRKF8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=EmErwN02fX0

Boulez!

Pierre "Don't Be a" Boulez

Not the edgelord we wanted, but the edgelord we deserved.

youtube.com/watch?v=MS82nF85_gA

>How do you guys feel about Boulez?

I'm usually fairly supporting when it comes to avantgard artists, but Boulez is, simply put, a monumental piece of shit, a 20th century Lully.
His corruption of governmental funds destined to the Arts (ruining the careers of 4 generations of French composers), the fact that this piece of shit won 17 Grammy Awards (you really blew those opera houses, right?), his absolutely selfish choice of becoming a conductor (even though he was barely competent and costantly took licenses that made no sense in that context). So, bad interpretations, the act of selling out the European avant-gards and cutthroat opportunism that destroyed the careers of the young, and why did he do all this? For nothing, in his last years he recognized that the 19th century was essentially a wasted century, that he was a bully and that his fame lasted just 10 years (after Stochausen came in he had to sell out by conducting... imagine young Boulez seeing his old self conducting the Bolero: truly tragicomic). I'm usually not that harsh, but I'm glad he's dead.

I find no faults in his compositions, which I find enthralling at times, useful (as a composer) always. He failed as a public intellectual and conductor (ending up ruining his cultural context), not as a musician.

tl;dr: Boulez is a worthwhile composer, an absolutely inconsistent director and one of the worst offender to the academic scenes of fine arts in Europe.

I know very little of his life. Did he move away from composition and towards conducting at the realisation of those greater than him?

i don't really feel nearly as negative as you do towards his conducting, a lot of his DG recordings are pure shit, but you can find some pretty interesting stuff earlier on in his career.

he conducted since his youth

iirc he did it to pay the bills since he hated teaching

What's the best recording of the Turangalila-Symphony?

Oh, cheers.

People always bring up his Complete Webern.

This one is pretty good:
youtube.com/watch?v=Du6M96E8KyE

It's an experience so I think its cool to see the performers actually playing.

>How do you guys feel about Boulez?
Incredibly important conductor. Meh composer.

i don't like his Webern as much as i do other conductors, but it's not bad.

though for most people it was how they first heard those works and it's convenient since it's a AIO set.

>but you can find some pretty interesting stuff earlier on in his career.
I know, which is why I said, in the end, that he was inconsistent as a conductor.

>Did he move away from composition and towards conducting at the realisation of those greater than him?
Boulez had the entire Euroean avant-gard in his hands, he then lost it to Stockhausen, so he started conducting to mantain his fame and relevance.
He certainly got more traditional later in his life, but I don't think he ever thought in those terms (if anything I can't imagine Boulez having low self-esteem).
He never fully moved away from composition, although he slowed down his creative process considerably after he picked up conducting. He started composing his third sonata in the late '50s. When he died in 2016 it was still unfinished.

his most interesting recordings i feel are his early bbcso stuff. not the best orchestra but it seemed he had real rapport with them.

yeah, for sure. that's where he peaked for me too.

Can anyone go into detail why Boule'z Mahler is bad or terrible?

I'm surprised more conductors haven't done in All-in-one given the, at least academic, interest in Webern's work.

What do you guys use for mega? There must be a better way than waiting every time the limit is hit

soulseek

megadownloader bypasses the limits on mega

Seems like it's just for general file sharing, not mega. Is there a good selection of music there?

Thanks m8

that p2p is created by former napster creator, so yes.

Other than Rite, what should I listen to from Stavinsky?

Firebird, Symphony of Psalms, Ebony Concerto, Symphony in C, Violin Concerto.

Everything else. He did not compose that much music, I'm sure you could marathon it in 2-3 days if you really love his music that much.

My personal limit is about 10h for a single composer, I want to get through the 20th century by the end of the summer. I'll look into his entire body of work though.
Thanks.

Also, any rec's on specific recordings/conductors?

i like Firebird by Gergiev and rest by Steavinsky himself.
also Petroushka and Le Sacre du Printemps if you liked Rite.

There's nothing wrong with Boulez.

His recordings are almost always revelations, as with Debussy/Ravel, Mahler, Bartok, Stravinsky, etc.

His compositions (as you stated) are impeccable. Sure he "lost" to Stockhausen but that's because Boulez was still fairly traditional when it came form and structure in European music; he didn't want to go full Cage/Feldman like Stockhausen did. That's not weakness, that's strength of conviction (even if Stocky's pieces from that period are great).

And don't you dare insult IRCAM, it led to tremendous advancements.

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=FTU7ekTUJ2Q

what should i send to this one girl who gave me her number at the party last friday? im going out tonight should i invite her?

youtube.com/watch?v=xUKzVqBQP0c

i fucking love harpsichord

This is a thread for classical you stupid faggot.

Also Pärt.

>His recordings are almost always revelations
no

>19th century

you mean the 20th century?

So was Mahler actually a gay pedophile or what?

you mean Mozart? yes, he was a degenerate of the highest caliber

Typical Freemason hack

not an argument

favorite mahler 6 recs?

legitimately, Boulez'
fucking hated that piece until I heard his

boulez as a conductor is great. usually he's very precise and clean and reveals all the layers in a way that's really nice and refreshing.

boulez as a composer is interesting because his early stuff is great for being just absolute no shits given serialism and there's a purity and intensity about it, but his later stuff is all exotic and beautiful and dripping with sonorous textures and gamelans and shit and it's just nice to listen to

he's a good person i like him

>mfw Brucker 7th Adagio

All Bruckner symphonies really
I like his vocal works more

im listening to ...explosante-fixe... right now because of this thread and it's really fucking good music guys, goddamn

You'll probably also like Repons, Anthemes 2, Messagesquisse

>His recordings are almost always revelations
Quirks and gimmicks do nit count as revelation. He had affinity for a very limited pool of composers, which does not help since he interpreted a good chunk of the repertoire.
Also his Ravel is trash, Maurice himself would have hated it.

>Sure he "lost" to Stockhausen but that's because Boulez was still fairly traditional when it came form and structure in European music
>principles
I have not criticized him for having lost to Stockhausen. I've criticized him for having been the worst kind of opportunist, and for having bullied generations of European composers into a compositional philosophy that he himself seen afterwards as a failure, and for having diverted govenrment fundings destined to composers into a single school of thought. Also as soon as he lost control over the avantgards he turned into the worst kind of sellout, revealing that he did not care about those principles in the first place, which is even more obscene. I've got no trouble with his compositions, I just think that he has been one of the worst enemies Art faced in the 20th century.
Again, the principles he held turned him into the 20th century Lully. I certainly can't say that about Feldman, Cage and Stockhausen (composers of which you have implied an inherent inferiority to Boulez), in fact I can only say good thing about their involvment in art management.

>And don't you dare insult IRCAM, it led to tremendous advancements.
I have not insulted it.

>Quirks and gimmicks
What does he do that is "gimmicky?"
>and for having bullied generations of European composers into a compositional philosophy that he himself seen afterwards as a failure
"Generations?" What are you talking about? Integral Serialism was only the fad from 1945-1960. Immediately afterward we see mass exodus towards other forms. He didn't bully "generations" but him and Stockhausen certainly were the top people for that brief 50's period.
>Also as soon as he lost control over the avantgards he turned into the worst kind of sellout
That's Stockhausen, who went to Mikrophonie and similar experiments to ape Cage and Feldman.
>I just think that he has been one of the worst enemies Art faced in the 20th century.
That's objectively false, John Cage was the biggest opponent to Art as an institution.
>I have not insulted it.
Oh, so government funds going towards IRCAM isn't a problem for you? But the compositions that came out of it are a problem? Jesus Christ, you have no understanding of this music do you?

I've found some scores in my grandma's attic. I've tried to listen to Mahler's 9th, which I can sing from memory from start to finish, and I could follow it for maybe 15 bars.
After that I've just started sectioning the symphony, noting on the scores the main voices and certain rhythms. So far I've traced 2 movements.
Should I keep doing it? Will I get used to it, to the point where I won't need to take notes? Should I drop it and do solfege for years and then come back?

>mfw

>What does he do that is "gimmicky?"
A far too broad statement, it depends from piece to piece.
>He didn't bully "generations" but him and Stockhausen certainly were the top people for that brief 50's period.
Then you know nothing of how commissioned compositions worked in the '50s and '60s. He bullied generations in the sense that he disqualified from "serious music" anything that was not serialist in nature. In those years, either you composed in that style in Europe, or you were out. People did not just forget how to compose tonal music in the 20th century, simply all the venues that were available were artificially clogged by the avantgards. People like Boulez were the worst offenders in this regard.
And about the usage of the word "bullying": Boulez himself used it to describe his modus operandi of those years.
One does not need to be a reactionary to be disgusted by such behaviours.

>That's Stockhausen, who went to Mikrophonie and similar experiments to ape Cage and Feldman.
I'm talking about his career as a conductor in the second half of his life. I have no problem with the philosophies of any of those composers, nor I have reasons to oppose them. If their example alone is enough to move entire generations of musicians, without the interference of opportunists and manipulators, then I'm fine.

>That's objectively false, John Cage was the biggest opponent to Art as an institution.
John Cage was not a corrupt careerist, ruining other people's lives left and right. His philosophy does not deserve violent opposition.

>Oh, so government funds going towards IRCAM isn't a problem for you? But the compositions that came out of it are a problem?
Nice reasing comprehension. Nowhere I ahve criticized contemporary music of any kind, especially not in such a general manner. Instead I've criticized the corrupt monopoly that was promoted by Boulez on weak ideological/aesthetical claims. This does not mean that I'm criticizing his music or IRCAM.

>A far too broad statement
Nice, couldn't even name one thing
>He bullied generations in the sense that he disqualified from "serious music" anything that was not serialist in nature.
From 1950-1960, that's arguably not even one generation of composers.
>I'm talking about his career as a conductor in the second half of his life.
He wasn't recording Schumann, Smetana, Tchaikovsky, or countless other schmaltzy shit. He only conducted music from that time that was truly formative and forward-thinking like Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner, etc.
>John Cage was not a corrupt careerist
But you're talking about someone being an "enemy to Art." Boulez fully believed in artistic institutions; it was Cage who wished to dismantle them.
>Instead I've criticized the corrupt monopoly that was promoted by Boulez on weak ideological/aesthetical claims
In a 10 year span.

Nice, you really are - as 50's Boulez would say - U S E L E S S

>This is how the regular /classical/ poster looks like

who's the Mercury Rev of classical music

I do want to say Boulez's take on Mahler's 9th is maybe one of the most offensively awful things I've ever heard, the opening doesn't even sound like the same piece

i don't find his conducting that gimmicky, he mainly seems concerned with transparency which appeals to me

well no one on earth understood mahler like boulez so of course it wouldn't sound similar to brainlets such as yourself

The Rondo movement is good at least

maybe he was mad about having to do it with Chicago instead of Vienna

not him but boulez did program schumann. he just didn't make records.

as an aside the scenes of goethe he conducted is probably imo my favorite recording of it

you shut your whore mouth about schumann

Programming isn't something you have total control over, there's entire boards in order to control that.

Boulez did conduct Schumann, though. there are more than a few live recordings existing. also, Boulez didn't consider Bruckner formative or forward-thinking, and very rarely conducted him.

Lol if you genuinely think Boulez understood Mahler better than horenstein, mengelberg, Klemperer or Walter (most of whom knew him personally, which I'd doubt you're even aware of) I don't even know what to say to you

>Boulez didn't consider Bruckner formative or forward-thinking, and very rarely conducted him.
He didn't record as much either, isn't the recording of 8 the only one he did?

he certainly had say over what he conducted, and still conducted with enough zest that would suggest that he was at the very least sympathetic to schumann.

I just don't think he was "selling out" just because he conducted more often after a period of writing the greatest music of the 20th century

>Nice, couldn't even name one thing
Again, nice reading comprehension.

>From 1950-1960, that's arguably not even one generation of composers.
That's the seed he planted, which keep growing to this day. It's not like everything returned to a state of equilibrium as soon as he started conducting.

>He wasn't recording Schumann, Smetana, Tchaikovsky, or countless other schmaltzy shit. He only conducted music from that time that was truly formative and forward-thinking like Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner, etc.
Let's burn all the opera houses, but let me conduct the Bolero first.

>But you're talking about someone being an "enemy to Art." Boulez fully believed in artistic institutions; it was Cage who wished to dismantle them.
You're blinded by ideology. Boulez literally ruined lives, Cage was just very skeptical of certain prejudices of art, and he exposed said skepticism in a series of inoffensive essays. Is this an enemy of Art? If lucid arguments are enough to make you tremble, then your convictions are not solid enough. In Boulez's case the intensity and coherence of your convictions was useless, for he would have just cut you out from the art music circuit as soon as he discovered you used a tonal melody once.

>Nice, you really are - as 50's Boulez would say - U S E L E S S
Ah, the same word Boulez literally used to describe his managerial efforts. I got that reference, right?

His trasparency is most of the time incompatible with the pieces he's playing. Listening to him conducting Scriabin is like listening to Gould playing Mozart. Embarassing.
Sure, I'll notice a few more details here and there (you could notice them by reading on a score anyway), but the result will be mediocre at best, surely not something that does justice to the composition itself.

i have mixed feelings on his Mahler. i wouldn't really say he "understood" Mahler in the sense that he conducted him in a vein of authenticity or something, but he had his own individual take on Mahler. iirc, Boulez conceded himself that Mengelberg came closest to Mahler, but he personally refused to conduct him that way. too romantic for him, probably.

i suppose in the sense that Boulez ignores the numerous rubato/ritardando/portamento/etc. markings littered in the scores, he is adhering to Mahler's own idea of, ''what is most important in music is not to be found in the printed notes.'' but Mahler would've likely hated it himself (he was extremely picky when it came to conductors of his music)

anyway, i do like a few of his Mahler recordings, but it's mostly the early ones and it's always live. the DG recordings have terrible engineering -- all you really have to do is compare contemporary live recordings of his Mahler to his DG ones and listen the breadth of difference one finds. the DG recordings are too relaxed, smooth, polished, and the orchestra is overtly miked in that awful uncanny DG sound which doesn't really sound anything like an actual orchestra. artificial x-ray. i know some people prefer that kind of sound, but i don't really think it gives an accurate representation of the conductor, nor does it lay easily on my ears. a lot of his CBS recordings are simply worlds apart - a lot more fire, a lot more energy, and the same precise transparency he was always known for. his Wagner recordings around that time are frankly some of my favorite conducted, and it's even more admirable when you listen to the cries of boos, whistles, and yelling in the Bayreuth audience at its first performances. of course, there are some vocal issues in his Ring cycle, but it's performed with just the right amount of energy, in my opinion.

he has a recording of the 9th with the LA Phil as well, but it's the only other one i'm aware of.

Just name one gimmick, all I'm asking.
>That's the seed he planted, which keep growing to this day
Fucking what? So Max Richter, Nils Frahm, Andrew Norman, and in general an entirely dead Serial scene? That's what Boulez wanted? You're an idiot.
>Let's burn all the opera houses, but let me conduct the Bolero first.
Obviously he softened but that's not "selling out."
>Boulez literally ruined lives
It worked out well for Riley, Reich, and Glass who made careers out of rebelling against his beliefs.

Literally 1960, Ligeti writes Apparitions followed Atmospheres. Stockhausen immediately leaves Serialism. Berio eventually writes Sinfonia. British composers write atonal music, but without serial style.

This is Boulez exerting control? This is his "seed"?

>This is Boulez exerting control? This is his "seed"?
I'm done. Read Boulez and Beyond, and see how Boulez was actively meddling, bullying and polarizing the European academia. It's all well documented.
Again, I'm not talking about ideology here, I'm talking about managerial conduct.

>Just name one gimmick, all I'm asking.
As I've mentioned in another post, Boulez applies the same degree of clarity to most of his performances, wether he's conducting Webern or Scriabin. In Webern case it's optimal, in Scriabin case instead it completely goes against the aesthetic principles of the piece itself. Boulez don't seem to mind, because he's getting his clarity. Gimmick.

>So Max Richter, Nils Frahm, Andrew Norman
Try mentioning some academic composer.

>and in general an entirely dead Serial scene?
Boulez admitted his inherent failure in the last years of his life. There are numerous interviews in which he talks about it.

>That's what Boulez wanted?
As I've said earlier, Boulez was a careerist that dropped his ideals as soon as he could get even more money by conducting music he aborred until a few days later. As long a he mantained said ideals, he enforced them through manipulation, nepotism and downright opportunism.

>Obviously he softened but that's not "selling out."
That's not selling out for Bernstein, it is for Pierre ''It is not enough to deface the Mona Lisa because that does not kill the Mona Lisa. All art of the past must be destroyed'' Boulez.

>Again, I'm not talking about ideology here, I'm talking about managerial conduct.
So he controls, but he doesn't control at all. Got it.
>clarity. Gimmick.
Clarity isn't so much a gimmick as it is an endgoal of any conductor. I find it funny that you call anything by Boulez you don't like a "gimmick" or "selling-out."
>Try mentioning some academic composer.
Hahahaha fucking Norman you idiot.
But sure, Clara Ionnatta has nothing to do with Serialism either.
>Boulez was a careerist that dropped his ideals as soon as he could get even more money
Where's your evidence it was for money and not just abstaining from composition when the principal style (Serialism) was going away?

Let me guess: teenager in music school?

Interesting how the poster seems to think "If they are American or British, they aren't academic."

Jesus Christ the level of pretension!

none of those hacks were as talented as boulez as a conductor or composer and none of them had styles of composition that had mahler's music as their direct antecedent

you're done.

>So he controls, but he doesn't control at all. Got it.
Yeah, I guess the head of the avantgarde and the professional model for everything that came after him was totally not relevant in the development of art music.

>Clarity isn't so much a gimmick as it is an endgoal of any conductor
Sure, if you're a blockhead who can't understand that different composers adhere to different philosophies, which means that different composers need different treatments. Just like cold contrapunctual playing is perfectly usless in Mozart sonatas, perfect clarity simply go beyond the main point of pieces like The Poem of Ecstacy. Apparently you and Boulez can't understand it.

>Hahahaha fucking Norman you idiot.
He does not work in academia, objectively. I'm not trying to defame him, he literally never worked in that context, nor has he infiltrated it through his inflence.

>Where's your evidence it was for money and not just abstaining from composition when the principal style (Serialism) was going away?
So Boulez effort was linked to the academic serial tradition? Nice, this goes against literally everything he said about music, art and composition.

>Let me guess: teenager in music school?

>Sure, if you're a blockhead who can't understand that different composers adhere to different philosophies
Every conductor has good records and bad records, their specialties and their shitties.
I would never listen to JEG outside of 1791, nor Bernstein past 1850.

Nice job evading Clara Ionnatta!

>So Boulez effort was linked to the academic serial tradition?
I'm just confused how you think it's selling out when there's no evidence it was for money. There are many explanations, especially that the 60's saw massive cultural revolution.

I want Chinese Opera recommendations

youtube.com/watch?v=EIjpSI0t54s

at last i truly see

mahler is for boys
bruckner is for men

Richard Strauss or Johann Strauss II, what's it gonna be /classical/?

waltzes are pretty fucking boring so Richard

Why are there so many generals and then one to Debussy?

because unlike other composers, he can grab em by debussy

>its a party rocker movement

Also i'm trying to download shit, but mega is stuck at 0%. What's going on.

>"hey user, whatcha listening to?"
>Borodin

i like this

youtube.com/watch?v=DJh6i-t_I1Q

Does anyone have the Debussy in 320?

Am I a pleb for liking this a lot
youtube.com/watch?v=yVIRcnlRKF8
also are there any pieces similar to vid related

>have to piss really bad
>20 minutes left in the last movement

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

cinema music is designed to be "nice" like that

if you want anything comparable to the masters you wont find it because that shit you posted is corporate crap shilled out for big dollars. real classical is pure, ripe with soul and passion.

what about bernard hermann

that's basically mediocre pseudo-"epic" movie soundtrack intended for mass-consuming... JUST LIKE ROMANTICISM you will love every single composers from that era so do yourself a favor

if peein' ya pants is cool consider me miles da- Beethoven

But what do you not like about it?
What if you don't consider it from an intellectual angle and just appreciate it for exciting, normie-tier tonal music?

>What if you don't consider it from an intellectual angle

Maybe classical isn't for you.

Nah I was just memeing i think it's okay though "soundtrack classical" is simply not comparable to actual western art music