$2.8 billion worldwide

>$2.8 billion worldwide
>highest grossing movie of all time
>almost 7 years later, absolutely zero impact on popular culture
>just made 3D movies a part of the cancer in Hollywood

Seriously, with the amount of money it made you would think it would have some kind of cultural relevance even 7 years later but there is none. No one references it. There is no character that everyone loves or catch phrase everyone remembers. It has almost completely disappeared from the pop culture consciousness.

What the fuck went wrong?

Everyone got over the 3d and special effects, which left it as an ok action movie with a unmemorable generic plot

it was a shitty tech demo with a bland starter pack of a story.

Capeshit happened.
Name ONE movie in the last decade that's had mainstream cultural relevance that isn't a capeshit.
Avatar will always be a gem of geekinographie, but it'll remain niche until Avatar 2 happens, and the hype brings the normies back to its mythos.

I reference it all the time with my friends, specially the "You will never be one of the people", it comes up a lot when im making fun of hipsters and fags who maintain Marvel and disney as being the better company.

I loved Quaritch as a Character and Neytiri was pretty cool, also I liked Rodriguez character was actually cute.

Catchphrases: "You're not in kansas anymore", "you will never be one of the people".

The only reason 3D movies are cancer is because Jews tried to cash in cheaply with the their brown and grey movies. If they actually tried to make something interesting and in 3D it might work but instead we get lazers for x-wings fired in our face.

Also cant wait for 2,3,4 of this movie the planet was amazing and lush.

-3D tickets cost twice as much usual.
-The thing was in cinemas for like 7 months
-Foreign fags

>absolutely zero impact on popular culture
>just made 3D movies a part of the cancer in Hollywood

what? seriously op, what?

>"Outstanding"
>"shut your pie hole"

that last one use all the time, with friends, we are ready for the sequel.

Cry more kiddo

Are we counting Star Wars?
If so then Mad Max: Fury Road. It was so popular the anime Osomatsu-San parodied it.

TFA is less than a year old and people already forgot about it.
Fury Road was memetastic, I'll give you that. The whole WITNESS ME and other memes normies love.

Inception
Scott Pilgrim
Whiplash
Django Unchained

Dont questions God's films

Seriously all you reddit jews can fuck off back to tumblr

Not even an Avatar fanboy but yeah, capeshit really came in and stomped over everything.

>Also Cameron is probably going to ruin the sequels with his underwater bullshit

About to go to sleep but not taking your bait

It's a fun af, absolutely beautiful and slightly flawed movie. Now fuck off back to nureddit.

Name one thing in each of those movies that is referenced in the mainstream culture.

BROOOM

Wow that got an anime parody. Talk about impacting culture!
Fuck you, asshole.

It boosted the 3D gimmick, kiddo. And unlike most post converted 3D movies, James Cameron shot it in actual 3D cameras that were built by his own design.

Do you equate quotability to memes?

slow news day

look it up

how does that apply to this

>There is no character that everyone loves

i literally don't even remember his name

>MM:FR

Literally no one talks about this anymore. The memes for this lasted a lot less than the greatest movie of all time that changed cinema forever.

We have to go deeper

This guy was absolutely hilarious. That gif of him sipping coffee is so absurdly stupid.

Quaritch

If you cant remember his name it's beause you're trying your hardest not to like it because all your hipster friends dont like it.

Its ok I dont remember one single name from MAry SUes episode 7 as well

>poor man's R Lee Ermey playing a poor mans R Lee Ermey character

>big epic scar to symbolize badassery

>not looking like a PTSD stricken homsexual fashion designer in this pic

If you love that character I feel bad for you son.

>le no cultural impact

Nothing has cultural impact anymore. The Force Awakens, Jurassic World....

These movies are hyped, come out, and everyone just instantly moves on.

So a film needs to have cultural impact to be deemed good? Shame about Marvel films then

retards think inception is anything within something similar. It is a stupid part of mainstream culture, but its there. The other 3 are nothing though.

I hope the sequels are in-name only and uses other planet and species because the ones from the original sucked.

things move too fast nowadays attention spans are at an all time low

>Scott Pilgrim

Whilst I love that movie it's just a bundle of pop culture references held together with duct tape.

If anything it stole rather than gave.

Sadly, this. The only recent thing I can think of that had some sort of cultural impact was capeshit. Dark Knight. Avengers. It's depressing.

Ones from the original were great, let's see how he builds upoin them, if we get some hench Mane lions that look like warriors i might give this a go

I still meme this. I teach kids and when we're outside and they tell me theyre thirsty, I tell them not to become addicted to water

rewatched it and its shit

shut the fuck up asshole theres literally been no good capeshit films

harry potter and it grossed more than most of the marvel films until recently because they have 20 something now

Fury Road was MEDIOCAH!

I See You
Jujubees
You're a traitor to your race

>What the fuck went wrong

A military force losing to the fucking jungle is what went wrong. What kinda of faggot ass shit was that ending?

>a cripple turns his back on his own species to be a blue person
Sure I can understand, he's getting pussy and he has legs
>fuck it kill everything with our advanced as fuck weapons
>somehow the "Forest," Is defending itself
>animals not running away after that massive fire storm attack

A better ending would have been Jake dying, doing that transformation shit and the humans taking over the tree. That would have made #2 more sense with the tree people trying to take it back.

Shitty rehashed plot, with no emotionally relevant characters.

Just really bad.

Only good character coming through.

Why is this? What changed?

I don't get it either. Titanic is at least referenced/parodied a lot. With Avatar there's nothing.

Desu desu

>the bad guys should've won >:(

I still like it as just a sci-fi movie. I know the reason everyone saw it was the pretty colors and and seeing 3D actually done decently and everything, but I personally always just liked it because it had some cool sci-fi stuff; like how they had the budget to make the aliens kind of different (even if it was just that they were really tall), or the neat mechs they had, and how the interstellar spaceship looked kind of realistic.

As for why it's not remembered, it's because it had a bog standard plot. It's not that people felt cheated by it though, they just didn't enjoy it for that reason, instead they enjoyed it for what it was and moved on. I believe that everyone saying a sequel wouldn't do nearly as well because the buzz has wound down are underestimating people's affection for it. If and when James Cameron decides to create a sequel all he has to do is do the same thing bigger and better, then the marketing machine starts up and before you know it Avatar 2 is all anyone's talking about. Screencap this post.

Do you think they will actually get around to making the sequels? What's taking so long?

Honestly I think cameron is just waiting until he comes up with enough cool shit to stick in the movie. He can take his time because he knows avatar's appeal isn't dependent on constantly keeping people's attention.

James Cameron is like a really good shit.
You can't remember it a day later.

>Literally every movie soundtrack [even though district 9 was really first]
>I'm a stage 4 vegan I don't eat anything that casts a shadow
>THATS NOT MY FUCKING TEMPO
>HIIIT THE WHITE SLAVE OWNER WITH THE WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIP, HIT THE WHITE SLAVE OWNER WITH THE WHIIIIIIIIIP

I don't usually say this because I am a 36 year old who didn't grow up with the KYS culture but dude please just kill yourself.

Yeah, Titanic had the song, the "I'm king of the world", the necklace thing, Billy Zane references and many more.

Avatar, only that it was in 3D and the repetitive plot of Pocahontas, et al.

>Name some other movies so I can argue about those instead of defending this bland piece of shit