Laurel Halo

Xiu Xiu

second for this

the knife is supposed to be deep?

Captain Shitheart

FKA twigs
Arca
Anything PC Music

It's not deep, it's just marketed as deep.

Genesis

this the mods really need to step their game up and ban all of this melon-posting shit

david bowie

this

GYBE

fka is a good singer though

pls show examples of ANY of those marketed as deep?

seconded, everyone says I'm the type to love David Bowie but I just don't and I don't even know why

Death in June

Wasn't he later revealed to be a schizo though?
>starved his bandmates
>use to keep them locked indoors for weeks to play guitar patterns and notes that made no sense
>Screamed and threatened his band members if they didn't make the music

Nigga was crazy

Current 93
Coil
Psychic TV
Throbbing Gristle
Television
The Residents
Jenny Hval

>In preparation, the group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians. At various times one or another of the group members was put "in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet

It's bugging me that you both got dubs for this heresy, haha. If it makes you feel any better, Genesis fans tend to be pretty open with the fact that their Genesis fandom is a dorky hobby on par with D&D.

Shaking the Habitual is a far cry from the dance pop they started out making.

That reminds me of the stories of Sun Ra going on tour in like Japan and sneaking home without telling the bandmates he didn't like

haven't actually listened to that album, let me fix that right now

they never made dance pop.

Well, I remember there was a while there around 2006-2010 that you couldn't go to a college dance party without hearing "Heartbeats."

I really love it, but some find it too long and too self-indulgent. Regardless, worth a listen.

Whatever you wanna call their early stuff, then. Genre name is irrelevant.

Same with H.R in the 90's jumping into the crowd at random times to assault people and refusing to take off a motorcycle helmet

Nick Cave

"one song" makes them dance pop?
that same album had this on ityoutube.com/watch?v=n6OVNX-VCT8

I mean, I'm not the guy who said they were dance pop. However, I do think it's probably undeniable that they have made at least one or two dance pop songs.

Swans aren't deep at all. They're actually very simple and primal.
I also really enjoy their music.
But to each their own.

yeah thats fine. think ppl discount them over the "sjw" things they promote.
love all of their records.

joy division except it's not crap just painfully mediocre

Captain Beefheart is an artist I secretly like but pretend that I don't because I think he is for plebs.

Björk, although in her defense I've never really heard anyone seriously claim that her music is supposed to be deep.

Sujfan Stevens

unironically Radiohead

i would have agreed but i really like the song 100, just does something to me. dont really understand why people talk about him in the same vein as arca and such though

Syd Barret, Tame Impala

youtube.com/watch?v=AXyhCpHPLUI

please give this a listen start to finish and let me know what you think

they've worked together

I liked the album because of the novelty, I never heard anyhting like that before, and because I like things that makes me go 'dafuq'. But I still like it though, I like the lyrics, and the unpredictability/chaos of the music. But I don't really think it's a "deep" album.

Selling England By The Pound is the only Genesis I like, and it's enough to make me say I love Genesis.

Just kinda boring, for the most part. She is quite beautiful, though.

Stockhausen

lol you have seriously awful taste

hot sugar

His Hype Williams shit is pretty good, not "deep", and fairly easy to get into.

Biophilia strikes me as "deep" without being pretentious. It's just science.

Most conscious hip-hop's lyrics.
not so highly-educated niggas who raps about life in the ghetto and black people's problems. it's not fucking Dostoyevsky.

but you just said the music isn't deep and it doesn't sound good.

really any no-wave

James Chance
Glenn Branca
DNA

I don't get any of that stuff.

Someone is probably browsing this thread right now and writing down each and every one of these artists to listen to and name drop.

Someone else is probably browsing it and hoping to find their favorite artist.

DNA is literally just fucking around though.

Grimes. Her music is clearly very intelligent and deeper than really any musician working today, but it's too difficult and complex for me.

Also she is very pretty and doesn't look like a troll.

Nine Inch Nails
I don't get how much weird ass band could become so popular, putting static into your music doesn't make it any fucking better, neither does making your lyrics sound so far away and hard to hear.

>pc music
>supposed to be deep

literally the exact opposite. it's just pop music. that's the entire point

What's there not to get about Television, it's not deep, the appeal is the musicianship

me ;_;

Do you know how many times I hear "Closer" by NIN on the radio when I'm riding with normies? It's such a garbage fucking song and its 23 years old, what the fuck.

It's not deep? Fair enough. All I know is that I want to like Marquee Moon, and I don't.

Like, your own music? Like you know that your music is probably deep, but it just doesn't sound good to you?

I can't into Bjork no matter how many times I try

Radiohead. I think it's mostly because I associate them with an ex who treated me like shit.
All of you have wrong opinions.

not as good as it should

just because it's experimental doesn't mean it's supposed to be deep

It's because you're not listening to Homogenic.

bring me the horizon XDD

Autechre. Confield might be one of the most difficult albums I listened to, gave me a headache

watch out guys, we have a 15 year old over here!

Okay, but I just want to add that I wasn't saying these artists tried to be deep and failed--more like "intellectually, I respect this stuff, but it doesn't sound good to me."

Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Papa Roach, Lil Wayne, Lil Pump, Shaquille O'Neal, Korn, Grimes

Can
Captain Beefheart
Sun Kil Moon
Bob Dylan
Flying Lotus
all "micro house"
Boards of Canada
Dave Brubeck

Everyone here shilled Burial to the point that I was totally convinced there was some deeper meaning to it. Its just boring though.

calm down, 16 year old.

This sounds like shit

Fight me 17 year old faggot.

Sometimes I reread that Nick Hornby piece where he says "Frankie Teardrop" is horrifying to the point of being unlistenable and how if I can listen to it without having a panic attack and crying it's because I'm a spoiled pussy who's had an easy life. It's refreshing, every now and then, to get yelled at by an old man who's scared of a Roland keyboard.

Radiohead. It just sounds so fucking glassy and ethereal, and that sounds like shit to me.

this, sort of
I liked them a lot more before I found out they were supposed to be this deep and inspiring group of artists etc, etc

this

Nothing about Burial's music is particularly "deep". He's just great at producing.

Radiohead

hurr durr i don't agree with you so you all have bad taste hurr durr

holy pleb

me2
in the sense that he only has a few songs I enjoy

sufjan stevens

I don't really relate to this. Not sure what "deep" means exactly, but if I don't feel a connection to the music or the lyrics, then it just isn't for me. Why would I want to connect to something that isn't relevant to me?

>I love swans but coil and current are too shallow and stupid for me!!!!!!!

The fucking National...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Earlier albums are better. High Violet was where it went downhill

bad opinion

I don't think micro house was ever supposed to be deep lmao