Live Reacting to OK Computer

Im a /jazz/ tripfag who hasnt heard it before. im gonna listen to it while i drink and tell anyone whos interested what my thoughts are.

we all experienced OK Computer for the first time, we know how it works. no one cares about your shit opinion anyway.

welp, nevermind then.

/thread

Are you jazzthreadguy

nope.

Let down is goat

>tom
dlt ths

not my favorite track so far but its all been real good. i like the harmony on a lot of the ones before let down more but im also only about half way through the tune. only serious complaint so far is that thoms voice isnt mixed high enough during the louder section of paranoid android. afonso cleves.

it was a joke m80

Let Down is probably one of the tracks that took the longest to grow me because it sounded like incoherent noise at first, once you get a feel and can anticipate the groove of the song the arpeggios are beautiful

yeah i did notice the arpeggiating upper register synths and liked them a lot, i also thought the end of the song had maybe a key change or something (id have to listen again) but it really brightened up and i liked that. good track. karma police was a bit of a disappointment though, i thought that was supposed to be a highlight of the record.

Nah it mostly stays true to A major to my knowledge, the bridge highlights an Amaj7 arpeggio and Jonny plays a ton of stuff in D lydian throughout bouncing between C# and D

It really is a very simple song and as someone who has studied music theory and classical guitar for 7 years I'm actually amazed at how long it took me to get into the steady build up of melody through the verses, now I can easily say it's the best song Radiohead has ever written

so nuff, any fun bass lines stick out to you

aahhhh, maybe it was the D lydian i was hearing. my ear is pretty good but on the fly like this i can usually just pick up colors and make assumptions based on previous experience relating to them. idk man, the chord progression of Everything in its Right Place, when it finally hits the tonic and then leaves it like not even a full bar (maybe it is a bar but i think its two beats) later. fucking genius. but ill have to listen to Let Down again haha.

tome yhork

No for sure, EIIRP is brilliant, Thom doesn't give a fuck about tonality and the progression when adhering to strict major chords is amazing through C C# D# F

Not to mention how gorgeous the synth in that song sounds and how most of his chords fall on the upbeat against a constant pulse drum beat

kek, yeah actually. airbag and electioneering. air bag used a lot of space which i like (from what i remember anyways) and i liked some of the voice leading in electioneering. but oh fuck, no surprises just started an i loved the combonation of timbres on the intro and the interval of the first chord change already. nothing quite as memorable as National Anthem though. i remember learning one of these basslines for a student i had when i was in high school but nothing sounds familiar yet, i thought that was a nice one at the time anyway. can we get a /jazz/ thread goin soon here? haha

yyeeeaaaahh man, i couldnt believe hearing that shit on a rock album. im usually disappointed by the harmony in a lot of rock music, like its the building blocks for the color of the song and most groups happily stick to bad tropes. that shit blew me away the first time i heard it. on lucky now, this is a really great record and will take a few listens, would put it in my top ten for rock/pop or something along those lines but i think i prefer Kid A. I figured most people like Kid A over OKC but i think its more the other way around?

I started on Kid A and to this day will say it's one of the greatest albums ever made, it actually took me a decent while to come around to OKC but after about a dozen listens it was easy for me to understand why it's considered the pinnacle of rock by so many people

when the tourist started i thought my music player fucked up and started playing a bill frisell track...

as a concept I think the jazz threads could be one of my favorite threads, but I'm too ADHD and acid-addled and not where I want to be as a musician, so I don't have much to contribute. I hope this board warms to jazz discussion.

yeah, this is definitely more of a straight up rock record. i love it off the bat but i will definitely need some more time with it. the tourist is great.

theyre really dense with legitimate discussion, debate, and general like records and shit. i love them. i wish more general mutants would start lurking or posting cause i think it would really turn a lot of people on to some good shit, case and point, anyone who likes the tourist would probably love any more recent bill frisell stuff haha. i can also see where theyre intimidating or something though cause its mostly like 5 nerds rambling into the void haha. i started posting anonymously though, it can be more fun and someone was mean to me one night hahaha. i think most people still know its me anyways. i think most Sup Forumstants could never come around to it though, too many underage redditers or something that wanna just shit post about crap music idk.

Yeah this board is addled with redditor Grimes/Kanye/Kpop fags, it's asking a lot to be able to have constructive criticism with even Radiohead, let alone jazz

welp! the records over, i really enjoyed the experience though i think my expectations were a little high because people seem to like it more then Kid A. over much more energetic then i was expecting and my only critique would be the track listing could be just aliittttttlllee front loaded maybe (again first listen so forgive me if thats just fucking wrong). probably a high 8 out of ten on the first listen if i had to put a number on it. happy to answer questions or anything.

I also used to think it was frontloaded as fuck, but the last 4 tracks are all great and growers if anything

yeah really, and like i watch a lot of needle drop but we dont really need like 6 threads about whatever the mellon ate for breakfast and another 15 threads about whatever mediocre album he just reviewed that people wanna meme about all night only to forget the damn album even exists in 2 weeks. /summer/ doesnt help.

no worries, lad

thead didnt exist when i made this one. check the time stamps and do your homework cracker.

yeah, maybe not front loaded as much as its just weird that theres like one ballad somewhere in the begining (i think) and a interlude (happier fitter) but then the record ends with like 4 ballads in a row or somthing like that. im not complaining, its just an interesting layout.

It's weird seeing two people actually talking about music rather than bickering

maybe ill do one of these for ITAOTS later tonight, ive been meaning to give that a fair chance at some point haha.

Most of the people on Sup Forums don't actually know music on a technical level at all so it's not surprising that these two would have meaningful discussion

well, to some degree yeah, but i think you should give the average mutant more credit. other then the two comments each of us made about the the exact harmony, everything else was general enough that someone could come up with it if they listened close and put some thought in to it.

I'm not the dude you were talking with earlier, I just lurked this thread for a bit and noticed the degree of discussion was much higher than "it's shit" or "it's objectively good"

oh yeah, i figured you werent. the point i made still stands. like you dont have to have perfect pitch and 7 years of classical guitar training or 5 years as a professional jazz/freelance musician to be able to form an opinion beyond the general bullshit on mu. mayb you do and im just out of touch cause i have that training and stuff but i just wish people would show some respect for the art and come up with comments that actually mean something.

seriously though, any point to doing one of these on ITAOTS? i need more shit to listen to tonight anyway. or is this the general consenious

Just do it and see if it sticks, I guess.

if you promise to keep bringing music theory into your analysis, i'm game

alright, see you in the next thread.