How does one become a musical elitist? What music do you have to listen to? What books do you have to read...

How does one become a musical elitist? What music do you have to listen to? What books do you have to read? What do you have to study? I've only been into music for like a year and I feel woefully unequipped compared to many users here, and I'm always up for self-improvement.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O9HsGsB-MCM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qae7k321nVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Start here

youtube.com/watch?v=O9HsGsB-MCM

I don't care if I'm an elitist or not. Hell they'd probably laugh at me for listening to every Rancid album

study the history of a genre I guess wouldn't be a bad place to start

I thought it would be a bit more difficult than that, that's a damn accessible (although incredible) album.

Yes, its because it's a starting point getting into more artsy music

Get really good at an instrument.
Read Adorno and Sartre.
Drink more tea.
Take cold showers.

Ok, I've done that before, albeit some obscure genres (like harsh noise and power electronics, for example). Should I do something a bit more popular and well-liked?

>What music do you have to listen to?
Metal

Yeah, I meant no critique of your pick (fantastic album), but I've been into music for a while, and I want to see where I go from here. Thanks, man.

kek

Cumbia
Space disco
Boogaloo
African rock
Polyphonic country

>polyphonic country
>ywn witness another artist like Arthur Miles
makes me sad, desu. any recs?

Funny how everyone on here is a music expert but when you ask them how you become one they have no answer

The true patrician does not have to ask for instructions. You are on the wrong path, my friend. No one in this mestizo wicker-weaving website can teach you what you need to become a self-actualized patrician.

fair enough

do you mean elitist?

Did you explore the world of krautrock/berlin school already? if you didn't, you really should

youtube.com/watch?v=Qae7k321nVo

krautrock, but not berlin school.
thanks for the rec, I've never even heard TD before, it's only been a year

He's technical the only one :(

feels bad man. that song is definitely in my top 100, the moment that he starts throat singing is 10/10

Tangerine Dream are one of the fathers of ambient music. very important group

lovin' it already

>satie
>debussy
the list could go on...

Great musicians, but they aren't ambient

Where do I start with Adorno and Sartre?

There's a cover of some girl doing polyphonic country. It's on the tube

Start with the Greeks.

wat

Impressionism was influential for ambient, but attributing its biggest names to a later movement when they died half a century prior feels silly.