I think this kind of sucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gsL6tMM5hJg&t=114s
youtu.be/MjUoN4iVP9c
kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143837
machines.hyperreal.org/samples.html
clyp.it/twl1umoh
youtube.com/watch?v=xJxNSOdnEJA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_(1977_album)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It sounded really unique and provocative at the time, but it hasn't aged well.

I mean
that's okay
I'd say you have a shitty taste, but eh, whatever, it's not an easy album to love

Frankie Teardrop is pretty good, but I don't care for the rest of it.

I like it but its more of a one time experience, the edge has really one off since first listen. Ghost rider and rocket usa are still fantastic tracks though.

but in a good way though right?

i think you kind of suck

It's a great first listen. That's it though. The thing outside Frankie Teardrop sounds more like an old rundown dirty ass arcade spot than anything else.

this album makes me tense all the way through, not just frankie teardrop

It's obviously nothing special lyrically. The textures achieved through a primitive drum machine and two tone melodies are astounding. It's first album which left me fascinated by a drum machine.

i think alan's performance through the lyrics come through and i like how straightforward the lyrics and songs are

I adore Ghost Rider more than anything and obviously Frankie Teardrop is horrifying but none of the other songs really match them in terms of energy/intensity

youtube.com/watch?v=gsL6tMM5hJg&t=114s

everything about this song makes me love suicide more than i did when i first heard their debut. they didn't have this version on the album

His performance helps the album be what it is, but lyrics although straightforward don't mean much, except for Frankie Teardrop. Here's an interesting video about the drum machine they've used:
youtu.be/MjUoN4iVP9c

>Suicide s/t: 1977
>Trans-Europa Express: 1977
Did they influence Kraftwerk or did Kraftwerk influence them?

It has aged incredibly well desu
Nothing has sounded like it since it's release

At least on their debut, they had no intention of doing anything even remotely similar and commercially viable as Kraftwerk did. And Kraftwerk departed with krautrock in 1974. with Autobahn.

Kraftwerk couldn't have been influenced by them because their album came out like 9 months earlier.

I think the Suicide were playing their music live since 1970

two separate things happening at two separate places, keep in mind both of them were active many years before those albums came out

Is anyting even remotely similar achievable through drum machine programming with Pro Tools, Reaper or Logic?

A friend who loves this record offers the attractive theoretical defense that it unites the two strains of "new wave" rock minimalism--neoclassy synthesizer and three-chord barrage. So maybe it will prove popular among theoreticians. For the rest of us, though, there are little problems like lyrics that reduce serious politics to rhetoric, singing that makes rhetoric sound lurid, and the way the manic eccentricity of this duo's live performance turns to silliness on record.

>get 70s drum machine samples
>pop them in the sampler
>make any pattern you want
That simple, the only thing you lose out on is some minor randomness due to how analog drum machines work, but nobody will notice if they aren't a turbo autist.

Scaruffi?

Its very innovative and influential, but a pretty meh album overall

I'm just starting to learn more about audio production and DAWs, that's why I asked. Vocaroo of your attempt at it perhaps? It would definitely be interesting to hear.

kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143837
machines.hyperreal.org/samples.html
Fairly easy to find samples really.

Give me a few minutes on it, if you want to make stuff that sounds like the album and not just the machine you would need more processing like reverb/delay.

What?
How the fuck can you not like this album?
It's one of the best 7/10 albums of all time and so much fun.

how are you so out of touch that you can't see why this album might be hard to love?

Great. I'm hyped now.

>tfw suicide thread is being bumped and meme rap plus indie pop is being ignored

Not him, but the album is hardly challenging, but it may sound too simplistic for a sophisticated listener of IDM or trance perhaps. Stockhausen would too, bearing on incomprehensibility.

The album has a catchy and hard beat and fun vocals, how is it hard to love? Sure it's repetitive but that's part of it's appeal.
And yes I don't listen to any music from the last 15 or so years so maybe I just am.

>putting stockhausen anywhere near IDM
You know how I know you've never listened to stockhausen before?
If so you'd never tarnish IDM's good name with that comparison.

>If so you'd never tarnish IDM's good name with that comparison.
Here's a first and hopefully a final (You) buddy.

you could easily get a lot closer to the original with better samples/mixing desu. I couldn't find any quick seaburg samples so these were sourced from a few drum machines.
clyp.it/twl1umoh

Name one good artist/band that this album influenced.

christgau has a point, they're awesome live
youtube.com/watch?v=xJxNSOdnEJA

Thanks for the effort!

I REMEBER

Big Black

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_(1977_album)

some early Cabaret Voltaire sounds like that

A normal person would think that Frankie Teardrop is fucked up and evil and would prefer not listen

Every synth pop, industrial and post-punk group after its release

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.
For some reason it reminded me of early Sisters of Mercy live. Must be the simple drum machine and repeating reverb/echo vocals. I remember on one of the liner notes from a Sisters' compilation saying that they all loved Suicide...

and, to me, early Nitzer Ebb although that came out way later...

You see this happen a lot with comedians coming out with similar material even though they haven't been exposed to each other's stuff. It's like a zeitgeist with current events all happening simultaneously in different parts of the world OF COURSE they're gonna come up with similar ideas.