Is avatar last air bender really that good of a show?

Is avatar last air bender really that good of a show?

or is it one of those shows nostalgiafags overrate becuase it was their show as a kid growing up.

it seems to be rated in the 9s on ImDb and RT

There are parts of ATLA that are definitely worth a 9 (all of Ba Sing Se was great, assuming The Drill doesn't count) but the show as a whole definitely had some problems, especially in the first season. 9 overall is just nostalgia talking.

It's one of those things where is both overrated and really good.

>avatar: the last cultural appropriation

>assuming The Drill doesn't count
there was literally nothing wrong with the drill. i always get chills when aang climbs the wall and goes down running

it is good. if can stomach some filler episodes from season 1 and really bad decisions from season 3. season 2 is stellar after the first 5 or 6 episodes.

I like The Drill but I can't imagine it being worth a 9/10, while for the rest of Ba Sing Se it's at least a slight possibility

Great.

in my opinion, "The Chase" is the best episode.

It was really good, give or take a few episodes, I'd say it did exactly what it needed to do. A shame the avatar universe has been in a state of flux ever since. Korra was ultimately meh and the comics feel tacked on.

Why can't we have more act focused cartoons?

Watch it and find out. One of the best animated series ever created imo.

>the dance episode

It's rated so high, because "Wow, a kid show has some adult themes, soooo deep." It's more impressive for people, because they don't expect it.
Otherwise, it's a good show with a nice and interesting world.

I believe that it's the best western cartoon and I watched it as an adult.

>Bad with a little good Tier
cave of two lovers
waterbending scroll

>Bad Tier
great divide
headband

>Shit Tier
fortuneteller
painted lady

>Absolute Garbage Tier
nightmares and daydreams

Why can't whites animate?
How come the majority of animation has to be outsourced to Koreans?
Even shit like the Simpsons, animated by the Koreans right from the start. Even the lightsabers in first Star Wars films. All Koreans.
Fuck's sake.

>fire/water, sun/moon, red/blue
>it would go with the fortuneteller prediction that katara would marry a powerful bender and that there's no love life in aangs future
>aang is shorter, younger and less mature
weird as fuck
>there was more romantic chemistry between zuko and katara
the moment in the catacombs, their fight in the north pole, the southern raiders and the finale showdown
>the parallel loss of both their mothers
>katara had a big sister/little brother or even mother/son dynamic with aang
their "romance" felt like borderline incest (not the wincest kind, the creepy kind)
>aang is a child, katara is a teenager
disturbing
>the whole deal with aang having to let go of katara to master the avatar state.
aang finally chosing to let go of his earthly attachments in favor of the spiritual path for the sake of the greater good would have been awesome character development. it would represent him maturing and accepting his duty to the world above his personal feelings

I could go on...

Give it up bro.

they don't have the work ethic to kill themselves in an incredibly tedious field for a barely livable wage

It's not that whites can't animate, it's that Koreans will do it faster and cheaper.

The latter. The first season is merely okay with an occasional good episode but its bombarded with lots of weak ones (The Great Divide) with a strong finish in Seige of the North. If you can get pass some very hokey writing its watchable.

The second season is a huge improvement over the first and I may say its overall great. There's only one or two episodes I can say that are weak but everything else is good and better than the first season and an even stronger finish to wrap things up.

Third season is where they essentially dropped the ball. Rushed, characters get worse, largely forgettable and outright bad episodes and a disappointing finale that's all spectacle and nothing else that reminds us that this is still a kids show when all is said and done. And people are surprised with how Korra turned out.

Overall its solid 7-8 series, the highlight is of course the great animation and soundtrack which never deteriorates as it goes on. Characters are a mix bag, Zuko and Iroh are good but the rest range from terrible (Katara), or just there (Toph). The story never reaches its full potential and depending on how much you were invested ir how people sold the show to you you'll probably walk out disappointed by the resolution. In short its a diamond in the rough series that came out during a time where networks didn't really want to try pushing creator driven projects or spend money so it felt like every cartoon was the same so its reverend for being a standout (as far as Nick is concerned) amongst the trash heap.

What perplexes me is that, as far as I know, there has been very few instances of white artists actually animating quality (as in not straight-up garbage) on their own. What I mean is that if I was an animator I probably aim to produce something I could take pride in. Strive towards perfection and not some choppy "stylized" diarrhea (most likely animated in flash). Or worse, take an easy route and settle for cgi with ridiculously proportioned and again "stylized" characters. All fucking western animation is garbage. As I see it, it can probably be blamed on postmodernist """artistic""" standards. The only reasonably good animators are French these days but they're still pretty much garbage if you compare them to the Japanese or Koreans.

>Third season is where they essentially dropped the ball. Rushed, characters get worse, largely forgettable and outright bad episodes and a disappointing finale that's all spectacle and nothing else that reminds us that this is still a kids show when all is said and done.
Thank you. I can't stand people who defend season 3. It had some good moments(I personally really like the Beach) but not enough to redeem it overall.

I liked Nightmares and Daydreams, fuck off.

i watched it recently as an adult for the first time and loved it
it's just a really well told story with decent characters with decent character arcs in an interesting world

The Beach is a good episode though then again I don't think there's a single Zuko/Fire Nation episode that is bad.

>really bad decisions from season 3
What are those?

Lion Turtle

pros
- zuko
- iroh
- azula
- ty lee
- sokka
- toph

cons
- katara
- aang
- mai
- suki

I saw it for the first time like 2 years ago and it is super good

>- sokka
>- toph
Ya blew it

What drill are you guys talking about? There is no war in Ba Sing Se

Completely different type of animation than what you're getting at but the west can do some pretty good stop-motion

They're caught up in the spectacle but as a whole season 3 isn't as tightly written or paced as the second season and has more writing mishaps than the first.

>The Best
The Storm
The Tales of Ba Sing Se except the Aang part
Zuko Alone

>The Worst
Nightmares and Daydreams
Great Divide
The Ember Island Players

>Grew up around that time and watched a few episodes but because of my horrendous ADD I missed out on the entire series

Same thing happened with Metal Gear and a bunch of other cornerstone cultural things in my generation. Anyone else know this feel?

Who /out of place/ here?

- time waste with the headband, painted lady, nightmares and daydreams...
- lion turtle/spirit bending/chiropratic rock ex machinas
- way too much time spent on the air temple instead of group traveling
- zuko's time with the gaang is spent on these mini expeditions instead of regular traveling around with the whole group
- suki as useless late 6th member
- katara defeating azula
- the way they handled azula's breakdown
- zuko's mother cliffhanger

I could go on and on specially about the 4 part finale and how terrible everything was

>The Ember Island Players
>the worst
lol no, that's one of the highlights of season 3

Why? I liked that part.

Its a blatant asspull

How so? I thought the creator was a chink

>cons, aang
>no pros, appa

Smh

It's these guys

>I could go on and on specially about the 4 part finale and how terrible everything was
Zuko reuniting with Iroh was one of the highlights of the series.

"b-but they foreshadowed lion turtles on the library and sokka's master!"
nah I completely agree. the lion turtle shit was fucking awful

I personally enjoyed every episode, but I can see why some people might not. Preferred Last Air bender to Korra, mainly because I felt the bending was more interesting to watch and more useful to the characters. Where as in Korra it was just another tool for their boxing shit and everyone can use the special ones.

Leaves from the vine...

;_;7

Making the final battle "my new power will save the day" is always a shitty idea, even worse if the one who gave out the power is borderline incomprehensible.

This shit is GER all over again

they should have just had 4 seasons so they didnt have to rush season 3. it's unfortunate how little we got from zuko as part of main crew.

it's kind of insulting that the korra shitshow got more seasons than the last airbender

>Is avatar last air bender really that good of a show?

It borrows a creative unit from Mission Hill, it's fucking amazing

>there was literally nothing wrong with the drill.

The timing of it was horrible and it was just Azula executing a fairly shitty plan with not much backup available in terms of numbers so it made no sense for her as a calculating character.

Also had the Drill not had happened, the reveal of Azula and her friends disguised as Kyoshi warriors to take down the capital would've been that much more sweeter.

meh it's about the journey. 3 doesn't live up to the story structure of 2, but the individual episodes themselves are the best of the series with above all some fantastic dialogue

>but the individual episodes themselves are the best of the series
>Painted Lady
>Puppet Naster
>Southern Raiders
>Sokka Master
It has some of the weakest episodes in the series.

>Everything you listed sans Painted Lady
>Weak

>Sokka Master
seriously. what even was the point of giving him a fucking sword this lately into the show

and im still butthurt that they blew katara's bloodbending on some guy instead of the actual final confrontation with the dude who killed her mom

the only one there that's as weak as the weakest eps of 1 and 2 is the painted lady which is basically great divide tier except at least the great divide had a cohesive thread holding it together.

And Sokka's Master has Robert Patrick in it

>You didn't love mom
>Sokka training to use a sword he never uses
>How to make Katara into a more overpowered cunt
>good

>nitpicking this hard

>And Sokka's Master has Robert Patrick in it
It was ultimately a pointless episode. Why would Sokka feel useless when he has proven himself to being a huge asset to the team without being a bender? And the sword becomes worthless after that episode. It was cool to see another good firebender but the rest of the episode felt superfluous.

No seriously Southern Raiders is just a shipbait episode and its pretty much Katara at her worst.

Again, 3 doesn't have the same overall structure, but individual episodes like Sokka's Master are still comfy as fuck.

buttblasted zutarian detected, how's it been?

I watched it for the first time at age 30 and loved it. The high rating is totally justified and I can't believe fucking Rick & Morty has a higher rating.

The Crossroads of Destiny is the best episode.

>still comfy as fuck.
Is this another word for worthless? Because even the first season had episodes with a point that weren't tied directly to the plot.

>Disliking a bad episode makes me a shipperfag

The shipping aspect of this show was retarded anyways. You had three leads with no chemistry with one another and people prying to set them up. Felt like fucking Twilight.

>What perplexes me is that, as far as I know, there has been very few instances of white artists actually animating quality
You mean besides all the best Disney animated movies you fucking weeb moron?

no, calling it shipbait makes you a shipperfag

>The Ember Island Players

That's my pleb filter episode.

Uh, Vancouver says hi :^)

Its a kids cartoon.

Is it the godfather of television series? No.

It's just a great show for kids.

Of all the cartoons I've ever seen, it ranks up there with dbz or Batman the animated series, where it is completely enjoyable by adults but still specifically intended to be for kids.
Again if you are expecting the 9/10 rating on a kids show to mean it is on some kind of ultra kino level on par with the sopranos or something, you're just going to disappoint yourself.

>Zuko Alone

pure kino

Bryke was known for fucking with shipperfags throughout the show.

and here you are falling for it

Most anime thrives in adult themes.
The best American cartoons, like Batman tas, had adult themes out the wazoo.

>Calling a duck a duck makes you a duck

Not a bright one are you?

This. It's what fucked up Korra as well. A large portion of the Tumblr/Reddit fanbase preferred to predict who ended up with who rather than the important shit like the fate of the world/characters and the writers saw this, and ended up pandering to this shit-stain of a crowd.

>shitty scenes teasing a pairing that will never happen, making character intentions more confusing
>criticism of it somehow makes you an advocate of it

wew laddy

This. If it passes the coolness and deepness threshold its an instant success with the normalfag viewers.

shipperfags this mad

Nah, zutara was never a real thing. The implied romance is completely a figment of imagination. They were literally creeped out by each other even by the time of the play in the last season.

the first season is a bit boring and too childish at times but all in all it's still pretty awesome with an interesting story and funny well developed characters

>It's a Ty Lee episode

>suki
>a con

Now I KNOW you didnt just say that.

Great show. Some bad episodes, some good episodes. There's no such thing as kids things/adult things; kids books/adult books; kids shows/adult shows. The line between what products are for kids and what aren't is purely marketing. There is only good or bad. ATLA falls on the good side, not the kid side. People who, while referring to anything, say comments like "its good for a kids show" or use "its just a kids show!" as an excuse for something being bad are retarded.

>There is only good or bad. ATLA falls on the good side, not the kid side. People who, while referring to anything, say comments like "its good for a kids show" or use "its just a kids show!" as an excuse for something being bad are retarded.
If you're talking about season 2 then yes but 1 and 3 are at the same level as most kids show.

>nightmares and daydreams

are you always this wrong or just on weekends?

This. There were truly great arcs and developments in that series but it wasn't absolutely perfect and the animation actually varied in quality a lot sometimes.

>It's just a great show for kids.

Like this shit, what does this even mean? What value do comments like this yield? This does not offer any insight into whether the show is good or not

reddit i will destroy you

Read the rest of the post dummy

>1 and 3 are at the same level as most kids show.

>parts of this show resemble other shows that are marketed as kids shows
Again, this is fucking meaningless.

>Headband
>Fortuneteller

I don't understand how it's possible to be this wrong.

There's nothing in Avatar that elevates it above that mindset. Its a good show just not as mature as it wants to believe it is.

Southern Raiders is a great concept. And I loved Katara and Zuko just being chummy, and the idea of Zuko's influence on Katara being an enabler for revenge.

THAT BEING SAID, the episode doesn't work because Katara is an awful character with barely any motivation ever, and completely inconsistent characterizations throughout the show. Any episode that might hinge on her wouldn't work.

>A show
>Having a mindset
That's you youre talking about

Also, all adult pieces of entertainment are mature? Really?

>inconsistent characterizations
like what?

she's basically the lisa of the group, a trigger for people with overactive ids

Uh....a show can want to be something it has no business trying to be. I'm not sure why is that such a hard concept to follow?

>Also, all adult pieces of entertainment are mature?
Now where did I say that?

motherly instincts/romantic instincts towards Aang
gang's house maid/badass go-get-shit-doner
and we all know the weird as fuck pace of her bending development

I can appreciate character dynamics - but theres a point where they become inconsistencies, rather than arcs. In my mind theres no competition that shes the weakest character

>le kickass fighter woman xD
>learns everything with ease
>has writers put her on the same level as a 112 year old earth-bending master in comics
>picks up new form of bending
>makes same amount of jokes as Sokka
>overplayed the tough lil girl xD meme

Why is she so shit?

Telling her brother that he didn't love her mother as much as she did is one of them.

"The Boy in the Iceberg" 7/10
"The Avatar Returns" 7/10
"The Southern Air Temple" 7/10
"The Warriors of Kyoshi" 6/10
"The King of Omashu" 6/10
"Imprisoned" 6/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 1: The Spirit World" 7/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 2: Avatar Roku" 7/10
"The Waterbending Scroll" 5/10
"Jet" 7/10
"The Great Divide" 3/10
"The Storm" 9/10
"The Blue Spirit" 8/10
"The Fortuneteller" 3/10
"Bato of the Water Tribe" 5/10
"The Deserter" 6/10
"The Northern Air Temple" 6/10
"The Waterbending Master" 7/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 1" 8/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 2" 9/10

"The Avatar State" 6/10
"The Cave of Two Lovers" 4/10
"Return to Omashu" 7/10
"The Swamp" 5/10
"Avatar Day" 4/10
"The Blind Bandit" 7/10
"Zuko Alone" 9/10
"The Chase" 8/10
"Bitter Work" 7/10
"The Library" 6/10
"The Desert" 7/10
"The Serpent's Pass" 7/10
"The Drill" 7/10
"City of Walls and Secrets" 9/10
"The Tales of Ba Sing Se" 7/10
"Appa's Lost Days" 8/10
"Lake Laogai" 8/10
"The Earth King" 7/10
"The Guru" 7/10
"The Crossroads of Destiny" 9/10

"The Awakening" 7/10
"The Headband" 4/10
"The Painted Lady" 3/10
"Sokka's Master" 6/10
"The Beach" 8/10
"The Avatar and the Fire Lord" 8/10
"The Runaway" 6/10
"The Puppetmaster" 7/10
"Nightmares and Daydreams" 2/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion" 7/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse" 8/10
"The Western Air Temple" 6/10
"The Firebending Masters" 6/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 1" 7/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 2" 8/10
"The Southern Raiders" 6/10
"The Ember Island Players" 8/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King" 5/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters" 6/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno" 6/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang" 7/10

forgot pic
KEK

>Now where did I say that?
Be equating ATLAs lack of maturity to it being a kids show

All im saying is calling anything "for kids" or "for adults" is not a value judgment. It has no place in actual criticism - comments like that ONLY comment on marketing, and nothing more.

Trips of fucking truth, my man.

>motherly instincts/romantic instincts towards Aang
that's not inconsistent though
>gang's house maid/badass go-get-shit-doner
reflects on the protective mother role
>and we all know the weird as fuck pace of her bending development
not sure what you mean