youtube.com/watch?v=1EapWhvdZO4
youtube.com/watch?v=-FFx68qSAuY
youtube.com/watch?v=paFnxjjg9yo
youtube.com/watch?v=xzMDmTXPHtI
youtube.com/watch?v=5ALicGoXgqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5JMuePT3qPc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's pretty good yeah

Cool man! It's awesome that you like punk rock. That's really great. I'm glad you let everyone here know.

post-punk > punk

Punk ruined rock. It paved the way for shitty emo and alt music and it killed prog rock and good guitar playing. Fuck it.

>it killed prog rock
wtf i love punk rock now

kek

Prog rock took thought unlike thick skulled punk. With punk you just need some asshole playing some easy power chords and some meaningless lyrics and youre set.

Didn't know Radiohead was punk rock

Not an argument

you misspelled "worst" :)

It is but pic related are both garbage.

Not an argument.

That's not an argument either

i thought johnny hated the pistols

I think it's more he hated that they got super famous and the Ramones didn't, and that made it harder for them, because everybody's idea of what punk was came from the Sex Pistols.

And it's not like today where a lot of punk bands are proud of how underground they are. The Ramones would have very much loved to be famous household names in their day.

Ones drinking a Pepsi the other a beer. The one with the Pepsi dies first... All that fake sugar... Drink beer people. You'll probably live longer. Just don't develop a weird addiction

Lmao this

Yeah, but what does Lydon do post Pistols? Prog rock. Stuff that Peter Gabriel was already doing solo.

You need to watch this:
imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0236216/
Lydon hated punk as a whole, especially what was being created of him and the rest of the band. Sex Pistols were nothing more than a glorified boy band, a product of Malcolm McLaren. All of this is being talked about in the documentary.
>McLaren also performed as a solo artist, initially popularisinghip hop andworld music and later diversifying intofunkanddisco, the dance fashion for "voguing" and merging opera with contemporaryelectronic musical forms. When accused of turning popular culture into a cheap marketing gimmick, he joked that he hoped it was true.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_McLaren

The Pistols, the Damned or the Clash?

The Clash. Not even a discussion.

>hates punk
>makes punk influenced experimental music
Really gets the noggin joggin

True punks Sex Pistols wouldn't even touch this song. It's no wonder why anyone reasonably sane would hate such a band and a movement.

So? Fuck those fans and fuck 'true' punks, basically all of post-punk, alternative rock, indie rock, industrial etc. is punk influenced, who cares if knuckle headed conservatives think that music sucks.

What's post-punk

Is it like spiderland?

Recc me some post punk

Start with Joy division, Television, Ganf of Four, Public Image Ltd and Killing joke.

I'm 12 and thanks for the advice

Guns and Roses are a great post-punk band, they formed after punk

The first PIL album is what The Sex Pistols were SUPPOSED to sound like.

The Sex Pistols' loss was PIL's gain!

You're probably joking but it really was.

Don't get me wrong I love the Clash - they have the catchier tunes, the lyrics and had the politics down for a while - but lets face it they did sell out.

I'd say The Pistols had the look and the attitude. The Damned have the distance and the musicianship and the Clash had the tunes and the politics.

But it's all about the chhunes m8

>there are people who actually think the clash was good

Best punk album of all time coming through......

People talk of punk rock and yet nobody ever talks about one of the greatest punk bands from 1977!

>who cares if knuckle headed conservatives think that music sucks.
Well those "knuckle headed conservatives" were Howard Devoto and John Lydon of all people. Definitely watch this documentary if you haven't already:
youtube.com/watch?v=1EapWhvdZO4

Its pretty easy to argue that they are better than the Pistols - I'd say it's a lot less easy to argue that the are better than the Damned.

The problem is how it all comes back to what you interpret as punk. Some will ostracize the Clash because they sold out other's wont.

If your talking about punk bands in the truest sense of the word then Crass take the crown - no doubt about it.

I've watched it, I recognise that copypasta from before and this specific documentary being posted, I hope it's not by you (it is isn't it). Also, how the fuck are Lydon and Devoto the conservatives in this case if they're the ones making that experimental music (post-punk) in the first place? Are you thinking straight? Why would they think post-punk is bad if they're the one's making it? Rubbish

Which is worse: anarchopunk or oi?

They're both pretty decent desu

I missunderstood who exactly did you label conservative. It's all good now.

They both suck equally.
Both are dogmatic, preachy and propagandistic.

And the lyrics, along with the politics are boring as fuck!

Truest shit said in this thread

>grow up with christian dad
>forced me and sister to go to church every sunday
>turns out he sold coke to the ramones and got clean and never told anyone about this until he died

Sounds pretty cool desu

While alt music was eventually derived from punk, punk is actually quite a rich and decent genre. The death of prog and the rise of shitty alt music can be blamed in part on punk but blaming punk for everything is missing out on the big picture. Changes in musical movements are usually influenced by several concurrent factors. Prog was eventually going to die anyways as the experimental sensibilities of the 60s was replaced by the introduction of 80s synths and sound production. 90s alt rock may have been influenced by many post punk groups but it itself was a counter reaction to 80s rock music rather than being directly related to first wave punk.
Tldr popular music culture is fickle and cant be generalised.

Grunge did as much damage as punk did, but in the late 80's.

>you will never have the cool dad

Yup pretty much. Still can't understand how such a limited genre changed the music industry so much. Whereas post punk is a rich umbrella term for all the derivatives that came out of the explosive initial punk movement, post grunge literally refers to rock that came after grunge's pathetically short and mediocre period of relevance.

this, post punk fags should leave the fun house

Never understood the fags who said prog was too pretentious.

>Oh this has experimentation, therefore its instantly bad!

Why the fuck are you dissing post punk? Post punk has ensured the legacy of punk instead of relegating it to just another shitty countercultural fad. Its diverse, influential and has given punk both legitimacy and genuine emotional power.

I'd imagine most people thought about it the same way Christgau did.

That's not nomeansno.

Johnny Rotten was really cute.

FIRST FOR D BEAT AND CRUST
CROSSOVER IS A MUST!

M8 I don't really diss post punk but it's a fact that punk has all the originality of post punk, (which is a whole other genre). What I hate is those fags that go "lel straightforward pung rawk is just dum amrite xd" that always appear from nowhere when one just wants to talk about sex pistols, dead boys or ramones

Buzzcocks

>but it's a fact that punk has all the originality of post punk
You're doing it for the (You)s at this point, right?

90's alt rock and grunge were good

no

elaborate

they were great

it also killed glam rock which is 10 times worse genre

Y-yes

Fuck you. the Sweet, Mott the Hoople, Slade, Japan, are all great bands.

If you like goth and Japanese vocals, listen to g-schmitt

This is the only good Black flag album because its the most thrash sounding one. Fight me.

you should feel great shame if you're older than 15 and haven't grown out of punk.

>dude rebellion lmao

Art kids are the fucking worst and the most clueless

>he doesn't like riffs

>missing the whole point of punk

Good job

>Art kids are the fucking worst and the most clueless
Uh, big words scare me. Shoo, shoo, smart people!

>too sophisticated to enjoy aggressive music

Get fucked you mongoloid

I personally consider hardcore punk a part of the post punk umbrella (even if this may be wrong). I enjoy hardcore punk for its rawness and post punk for its experimentation (which is ironically what first wave was against desu). Its not about 'im so smart or hip' or anything for me. Im just glad punk evolved the way it did through post punk.

If anything I enjoy genuinely makes me feel hip, its prog rock.

>and What the heckie... is this thing?

absolutely disgusting. revolting opinion. their new album is also the worst thing ive ever heard

I feel like most people need some form of aggressive music just as we may need happy/easy music; even if we usually prefer music that is neither. Punk is a far better choice than extreme metal as far as im concerned.

>can't understand why Henry was picking on him
>he turns and reveals his disgusting haircut

I don't really blame him, the kid was obviously a try hard that was antagonistic.

The Damned by a mile. It just doesn't get better than Machine Gun Etiquette

post-hardcore > punk

Thoughts on Crust Punk / D-Beat?

Why is every punk thread just talking about the Sex Pistols?

Start young lad. Start young

crust is great

The Damned by far. Damned Damned Damned, Machine Gun Etiquette, The Black Album and Strawberries are superb albums.
The Clash were abysmal.

Anarcho-punk and Oi!/RAC were the only movements in punk which had genuine political potency and direction though. Everything else was just pop.

>tfw no Johnny Rotten bf

The Clash actually understood how to write a fucking song and they were all decent musicians. Retards only shit on them because "muh not real punx!!!" and are obsessed with image and reputation.

I'd rather gouge my ears than listen to Sex Pistols or the Damned.

Fuck off, the clash are terrible and just rode on the coattails of the Sex Pistols

Sex Pistols were literally just a hard rock band who could barely play their instruments and got by by having their screaming grandma frontman say ""controversial"" things.

John Lydon is a true hack among hacks and besides influencing some far superior bands, never gave anything of value to pop music or culture.

>b-b-but muh PiL!!!

PiL fucking sucks. Go listen to actual dub or any number of better post-punk bands from that era.

These apply to you too:

>I'd rather gouge my ears than listen to Sex Pistols or the Damned.

The Damned were very good musicians and quite diverse as songwriters though. Rat Scabies alone is by far the best drummer in that whole early UK punk scene.
Have you ever even listened to a Damned album?

youtube.com/watch?v=-FFx68qSAuY
youtube.com/watch?v=paFnxjjg9yo
youtube.com/watch?v=xzMDmTXPHtI
youtube.com/watch?v=5ALicGoXgqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5JMuePT3qPc

I could never understand why everyone shat on the Pistols for being manufactured and put together by Malcolm McLaren while ignoring the fact that The Clash were pretty much just as manufactured and even more leashed(only they were leashed by their record label and not their manager) than the Pistols were.
To say nothing of the very comfortable and very sheltered backgrounds that The Clash(and especially Joe Strummer, who remains one of the biggest inauthentic posers in rock music history) came from. They had about as much to do with giving voice to genuine underclass rage as Genesis and King Crimson desu.

He was such a cutiepie. He probably had bad breath though.

Nobody in this thread knows anything about punk

Whoever says that pistols are "sell outs" is a literal retard who doesn't realize that their favourite band ( inb4 n-not mine of course!!) are 10 more times biggest sellouts. Fuck off go listen to jazz and pere ubi because you are too much of pussies to listen to rocket to russia

yes