No one bats an eye

>non-jedi uses a lightsaber
EVERYONE UPSETTI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4dKwHOfd2dk
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyra95xYf0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>caring about star wars

Machine guns are easy, i've seen 12 year olds handle them after 15 minutes of instruction. Sword fighting is much harder.

3/10 b8

Incorrect.

>sjw wars

just let it go user

Machine guns and assault rifles were specifically designed to be as utilitarian as fuck so that just about anyone could use one effectively with a minimal of training.

Swordplay on the other hand requires regular training drills to be able to be proficient. To be skilled requires training from birth. It's why most peasants were given spears or bows.

Though anyone worth their salt would prefer a good old fashion axe. Halberd if you could get it.

just accept the fact that your new star wars movie is ghey

>swinging a stick is hard

You've obviously never been in a sword duel then. Anyone can hack down an unarmed peasant.

>You've obviously never been in a sword duel then.
Oh, i bet you have

Not to the death, no. And to be fair it was knives. *tips hat* Good day to you sir.

Yeah, and Finn got his ass handed to him every time he tried.

Please go easy on us, oh trained warrior

youtube.com/watch?v=4dKwHOfd2dk

And good day to you, SENPAI.

You think it's so strange that there would be people on the internet who know how to gut a man with a knife in one swift stabbing motion?

I'm sorry i've invaded your safe space.

> no actual power behind the slashes or cuts.
> can only cleanly cut through the necks of the bottles.

0/10 Would not re-enact with.

Oh yeah? My dad could beat up your dad, assuming we can find him

No, but I'm fairly sure that person isn't you

Miyamoto Musashi in Japan and many of the Fencing masters of Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia all state themselves that it doesn't take any skill whatsoever (or at least you can be trained in a day) to kill with a sword especially if you're a bigger dude.

The skill is in staying alive yourself. The word fencing comes from Defence after all.

Finn wields a lightsaber in a duelling context twice and gets rekt twice.

Anyway shooting and fencing aren't so different. Shooting did level the playing field of killing but it still takes alot of skill to shoot accurately under pressure.

But he was a former storm trooper with loads of military training for years. Do people think none of that training involved swords or anything sword like?

He was in sanitation with basic blaster training.

Literally a shit tier Stormtrooper.

>he doesn't do academic fencing
bruh...

>'I was trained to do one thing'
>'Sanitation'

He couldn't fight for shit with his primary weapon at the start of the movie there's no way they wasted their time with any melee training on him.

I'd wager every single one of us has at some point in our lives had a stickfight or toy sword fight and managed to pull off everything he does in the movie just from having seen swordfighting movies in the past. Although we never see media in Star Wars i'm sure we can assume he's had some exposure to how to swing a sword.

To be honest I'm still dissapointed he wasn't a full blown trained stormtrooper like a more traditional exMil action hero but that might have conflicted too much with how shit stormtroopers are in the OT anyway.

>loads of military training for years
>sanitation Stormtrooper

>Though anyone worth their salt would prefer a good old fashion axe. Halberd if you could get it.

And you were doing so well until then.
Don't let armchair fa/tg/uys meme their opinions into yours, user.

To be fair history's is very clear that if you can get a spear or polearm. Wield a sword or Polearm.

Swords are cooler this opinion is objective fact but a swordsman can't kill what he can't reach.

Throwing aside.

wield a spear or polearm*.

I've recently rewatched this movie and I enjoyed it so much that I consider it better than episode VI

hyped as fuck for episode VIII senpai

Swords were valued because they were the single most versatile weapon on the battlefied in their time of use.
While they weren't perfect for everything, they pretty much filled every niche required with adequacy.

I watched it for the first time in a bus recently and it was indeed shittier than the prequels. The Mary Sue shit was a lot more apparent than I expected.

yes good gentlesirs le history and le swords :D *tips tabletop rpgs*

le skallagrim le interest in medieval europe a delicate weapon for a more civilized age bros let us pontificate xdd

>watching films while on a bus
absolute pleb

>a regular weapon seen on modern earth
>a magical sword in a fantasy movie

Hmm. Really makes the neurons fire.

The reason is because JarJar Abrams made Star Wars into an action movie instead of a fantasy adventure film.

>a delicate weapon for a more civilized age
Thats actually the opposite of my original point and it's all thread related.

Skallagrims shit just as an addendum.

What precisely about your post made you think it was worth sharing?

>he canonically got melee training as a stormtrooper
>mostly just swung and stabbed, which takes no skill at all
>the one time he tried proper sword fighting he got wrekt

Trying way too hard.

The problem as I see it is that a lightsaber handles differently than most weapons because of its weight and the fact that it will hurt no matter which part of the blade you come into contact with.

DUDE MEMES LMAO

meh it's still just a sword. Granted one were you don't have to worry about edge alignment which is good because you have to dedicate most of your mental energy to not losing your hands.

Can't wait to see this literal nigger fuck a white womb on screen

>you don't have to worry about edge alignment
yeah but you also don't have the weight of the blade, it's literally just light

Only we can see at multiple points in the series the blade does have weight. Most of the spinning techniques of the prequels depend on momentum from the blades forward point of balance and when a lightsaber is thrown it spins with the fulcrum at the center of the blade not centering on the hilt.

Ofcourse you can argue from a film making perspective if this a limitation of using sticks and not torches to portray lightsabers but the fluff and Lucas' own claims back up that the blade has definite observable physical presence.

He was trained you plebs.

>that might have conflicted too much with how shit stormtroopers are in the OT anyway.

>Completely steamroll the rebels time and again
>main characters spend almost all of the trilogy running away from them, with only a couple Stormtrooper deaths, even less if you don't count situations where they're standing so thick you can miss and still hit another one

>They are shit because

I mean I get how the Battle of Endor might've given that impression if you weren't paying the slightest bit of attention to what's established, but that group of the Emperor's "finest soldiers" was still only sent there in numbers to apprehend half a dozen rebels that you can fit in the back of an imperial shuttle. Not large scale traps laid out across difficult terrain, aided by a people who know said terrain like the back off their hand

The organized and militaristic Romans were thoroughly beaten by the nomadic Huns due to not playing by the same rules expected. Just because the equivalent here is "cute and fluffy" doesn't mean it's all that different, especially in a fantasy setting.

I mean seriously. Throughout the trilogy we can't stop hearing about how powerful and great the Empire and its stormtroopers are. Let's not pretend that the story exclusively following the exploits of the single group that managed to survive against them, means that that's somehow the rule and not an exception in a heroic tale. Might aswell call Conan's foes pussies too.

Yeah, that's why Roman conquered the world with the short sword and the Greek Phalanxes were a distant memory.

He was literally fighting his own counterpart with an equivalent weapon and level training. How can anyone have a problem with this?

But sanitation

This image has made my day.

>"strong jaw line" on a helmet
kek

He was assigned sanitation when he was stationed at Starkiller Base. That doesn't mean it's the sum total of his experience.

I love how much this film made me not care about Star Wars anymore. Being a huge former fan, it sorta broke away the last nerd thing away from me. THanks jew jam abrams

>I said Jew lol

Jesus.

is this the average star war poster?

I thought both times he tried to fight with a lightsaber were to show how non force using plebs suck at it.

You know, I always thought they missed a golden opportunity to make a point with light sabers all the way back in Episode V. At that point, we'd only seen three people wield sabers - Obi Wan, Vader, and Luke. There was no monstrous amount of extended universe "canon" to fight uphill against.

They could have made light sabers generate a constant recoil like a firehose, make it where just holding on to one without using the Force took maximum effort. In other words, make the sabers themselves a callback to Arthurian legend, where the saber itself is like sword and stone in one - only a Force sensitive has a prayer of ever effectively wielding them.

"black guy doesnt wanna work" -the movie

>nerds are stupid and have cognitive dissonance
You don't say?

Please never go to /tg/.

A reasonably valid point on the surface but that's formation fighting and organised warfare. It's a somewhat different ball game.

The Gladius was short because the Legions primary weapon's where their shields and the shorter sword was to better maneuvre around these shields and in a tight crush. The average area of actual fighting space in that sort of formation was about 50cm and a longer sword would have been unwieldy and useless in such a space. You mention the Greek Phalanxes and it was actually here that these shorter swords developed. The Spartan Xiphos especially was almost ridiculously short like really by any later standard it would have called a dagger.

This was really the only time where a soldier would be better off having a very short sword over a longer weapon. In tight formation. Toe to toe with the enemy.

A man with a Gladius would have a brutally hard time closing and overcoming a man with a spear. Especially if they didn't have a shield like the swordsmen among the Gladiators. Which is an obvious comparison here.

Really swords as a primary weapon on the battlefield only came into their own with the development of plate armour and even then most men at arms were armed with Halberds, bills or pikes.

Reach is practically everything in any striking art. Weapons especially.

Oh you're right. I can't use this argument from now on :(

That actually was Lucas' direction in the A New Hope duel. That they were heavy and unwieldy like they had a gyroscope in them.

A better question is why, when no one's seen a Jedi in twenty years and no one expected in the least to run into Skywalker, there was a Stormtrooper with a purpose built anti-lightsaber weapon in the platoon.

Given that the First Order was explicitly hunting him, that's not a hard question to answer.

>when no one's seen a Jedi in twenty years
Are you not getting confused with the break between ROTS and ANH here. Luke trained loads of Jedi. Kylo Ren is probably still hunting some.

Is Leia still canonically a Jedi?? She's still alive after all.

>is leia a jedi?
Nah, she didn't get training. She's force sensitive but that's it

The prequels didn't turn you off of Star wars but this one did? Lmao tell me about the Jews and ess Jay double (You)s ruining Star Wars

Swords were valued because they could be comfortably worn in a scabbard for every day use.

In an actual battle anyone would prefer a spear or polearm or bow, with a sword as a backup weapon (again because it can be carried comfortably in a scabbard while not in use)

I wish people would start realizing that it's not a "purpose built anti-lightsaber weapon." It's a crowd control device, like a cattle prod or a stun baton. It just also happens that the electrically charged part can block a lightsaber beam. They had these in Episode 3, and there were other energy shields that a saber couldn't cut through. Note also that you can block Force Lightning with a lightsaber, but it's hard to push back against the Lightning. (see Mace Windu)
Lightsabers aren't the mystical super-beam-swords you think they are. They are basically just energy, which can be absorbed or deflected by other energy.

IV = V > VI > TFA > Prequels

I predict Rogue One will be between VI and TFA

>Lightsabers aren't the mystical super-beam-swords you think they are

Easier to believe in Rey didn't get some kind of visions just by touching one

I meant the blades don't magically cut through everything instantly and effortlessly. Rey's saber definitely had other stuff going on.

Possibly.

It all depends on if they have the balls to get Vader to turn up at the end and massacre the protagonists.

He doesn't need to kill all the protagonists. He just needs to kill some people, viciously, mercilessly. He needs to be Darth Vader (like he was during Order 66, or on Rebels), not Anakin Skywalker. He can't be conflicted. He needs to be in full on Sith mode.

I think it's worth noting that Vader was personally on Leia's trail, and that he tracked her down via the transmitted plans.

Chances are that whoever ends up with the plans is going to get their trachea changed to a 2d object

"just make the dopiest monkey face you can in every scene"

Kunjutsu etai
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyra95xYf0

>non-jedi uses a lightsaber
>gets his ass kicked

Yeah I liked that scene.

That's because it was a saber used by both Luke and Anakin, the two strongest Jedi of all time. They left a mark on it.

Machine guns were designed to be so easy a child could use it.

Light sabres were designed to be used by a highly skilled swordsman. It's also canon that people accidentally chopped their own body parts off trying to use a lightsabre.

1:04 would be actually cool if he wasn't a neckbeard.
>That precision
>That effortlessness
>The way his hair blows back after the strike.
7/10 naruto senapi

>EU
That shit is retarded

It's a fucking sword, point it away from yourself and you'll be fine

>psh...nothing personnel

They also said it in the games.

>Just point it away from your self and you will be fine.
>t.Literally someone who had never actually trained with a sword or probably even ever used a sword.

>give unexperienced character a light saver
>need him to loose a fight
>invent a completely new type of weapon that can deflect a light saver

is this the worst and shittiest writing ever? why cheapen the badass image of a weapon that can cut through anything like that? are they fucking retarded? do they just not care?

Honestly this is what really got to me the most as well. Like, why the fuck does some no-name rank and file shmuck in the middle of a battlefield have a specifically anti-lightsaber weapon?

>Hunting a Jedi
>why would you want something to counter a lightsaber?

>doesn't know what vibro blades are

lol do you even star wards?

Well, I can tell you what they're not

Canon :^)

That can only mean one thing