I want to get into The Nine Inch Nails

I want to get into The Nine Inch Nails

where should I start with their albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lwox5j48IFU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Highway_(soundtrack)
youtube.com/watch?v=96aiVUK_6zg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vi4Qt2PODyk
youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Downward Spiral

Unironically, in release order

Don't.

this

no, this

The Fragile

good advice

in alphabetical order

Definitely The Fragile.

BTW,
>thier albums
It's just one whiny pussy dork.

tru

Isn't this literally radio rock? Why is it seriously discussed here?

CUZ ITS DRAMATIC BRUH
ITS BOUT FEELS YOU KNOW

it takes an awful lot of albums to fall in love with trent

>"if its on the radio then its bad"

>The Nine Inch Nails
L Y N C H E D

>the Lynch Nain is

Name a case where this isn't true.

new wave synthpop is good

>Why is it seriously discussed here?

because the average Sup Forumstant in 2017 is like 15 years old and doesn't remember when NIN and trent reznor were seen as being about as respectable and artistic as the average nu-metal/post-grunge band

>it was in vogue to think a certain way about something at one point so that's definitely the truth

From Japan, yes, but the nips aren't run by jews.

in this particular case, it is

this

Queens of the Stone Age

>NIN
>radio

this ain't the 90s, grampa

if you are posting this because you saw them on twin peaks, then get the fragile or the new ep.

Because it has a lot going on

>this ain't the 90s, grampa
Tell the average rawk radio station.

Here, this needed a little bit of editing.

did you forget to take your name off samefag?

>not getting it

it's fine, maggot; rest assured though, I post the way I want, and it's none of you concern.

Nah, he's just being an asshole because he's an inferior musician to Trent

EVERY SONG IS EXACTLY THE SAME

a much better lyricist and singer, though

believe what you want, then feel free to go fuck yourself.

you rock, kid, thanks. (please consider buying something from our store.)

Will there be a new EP this month?

was there a Tension blu-ray in spring 2014?

just save your cash for HUD

WHY ARE YOU BAKING THIS TO ME
AM I NOT APPRECIATING YOUR SKILLS IN GASTRONOMY?
WHY AM I SEETHING WITH THIS STOMACH ACIDITY?

I THINK YOU OWE ME A FULL REFUND POLICY

TERRIBLE PIE

You can start by not listening to Nine Inch Nails because they're a bunch of edgy faggots who write shitty music aimed at other edgy faggots. Trent Reznor is a talentless hack.

>edgy

Lord my path has gone astray
I'm just trying to find my way
Wandered here from far away
You were never meant to see
All those things inside of me
Now that you have gone away

I have made a great mistake
Pray the Lord my soul to take
The ghosts of who I used to be
I can feel them come for me
It looks as though they're here to stay

Please
I never meant to
I never meant for this

I have been to every place
I have been to everywhere
Oh dear Lord hear my prayer

>unironically believing in God

embarrassing

This reads like a poem written by a 16-year old goth kid on the same day that he got grounded by his parents lel.

If you start with this there's not much point to go on, which makes the album's name fitting I guess.

For some reason (i don't even remember why) the first Nine Inch Nails album i listened was Hesitation Marks

I couldn't stand most of the tracks but the one that got me was "Various Methods of Escape", from Hesitation Marks i moved to some songs like The Fragile, Hurt and Something I Can Never Have

Then i started listening to With Teeth and loved it, moved to TDS and The Fragile AND Ghost (loved the ambient vibe)

So my trajectory was
>Hesitation Marks but hating it
>With Teeth and loving it
>TDS and The Fragile
>Still
>Ghost
>The Slip
>Trent Soundtracks
>Broken
>Pretty Hate Machine
>Back to Hesitation Marks now loving it
>Year Zero
>Everything else and loving it all (except Fixed and Year Zero Remixes)

Look for the WatchMojo top ten NIN songs and listen to the songs in exactly that order. WatchMojo is never wrong.

>because the average Sup Forumstant in 2017 is like 15 years old and doesn't remember when NIN and trent reznor were seen as being about as respectable and artistic as the average nu-metal/post-grunge band
I'm 29 and NIN was one of the few bands along with The Smashing Pumpkins that I respected while growing up. The nu metal stuff and post-grunge were pure shit, on the other hand. NIN was the only band that I could bond with the mallgoths over.

HM is definitely meant for NIN fans that are familiar with the entire discography and have been listening to it for years.

Actual NIN fans, not "i've listened to TDS and The Fragile" "NIN" "fans".
When you see someone declaring HM as shit, they're usually the kind of person that haven't explored the discography at all, or they're incredibly superficial and thick headed in general.

Usually the same kind of asshole that overpraises Not the Actual Events as the second coming of jesus christ.
(not that it's a bad entry, it's just their attitude about it that pisses me off).

Honestly the only NIN releases that I didn't like were With Teeth, and The Slip. On The Slip Trent slipped.

>Almost 30
>On a website for teenage faggots
It is a bit weird, isn't it?

Pretty hate machine sounds horribly dated, just start with Downward Spiral

The Slip is good but the trick is that only the live performance version of it is good.

There's a version of the album floating around that only contains the live sessions, get that, it's how the album was actually meant to be heard all along.

youtube.com/watch?v=lwox5j48IFU

no Demon Seed though

plus recently Robin has been playing them on synths instead of real guitars so they became shit again anyway

literally my only complaint about the 2013-2014 cycle

>It is a bit weird, isn't it?
Tell me about it, but I've told other people on here that they think they'll leave, but they'll be back, and that's usually the case for 4channers in general.

I don't actually have that many good music discussions on Sup Forums, on behalf of the generational gap.

I was just mildly disappointed in it, but whatever, the album was free. I even liked Ghosts better, but Ghosts didn't have Reznor angsting through it all, just pure instrumentals.

With Teeth came out while I was in high school, and a lot of the tracks felt very cheesy to listen to, even for NIN. Good NIN was PHM through to Broken, and TDS.

how edgy

tfw no comfy warm place

>i was raised by my grandparents, the greatest people in the world

>not going to be on soap operas singing it

Why are people surprised that Trent is on TP, anyway?

After he has said his entire life, in hundreds of interviews, that he's the biggest TP fan ever, used to watch TP episodes before each show, and literally wants to suck Lynch's dick?
Yet somehow it's weird or unusual that the two of them have a business relationship now?

>now

what is came back haunted
what is lost highway (1997)

>Why are people surprised that Trent is on TP, anyway?
I'm not, but TP is like the biggest parody of soap operas while being the ultimate soap opera. It is one mountain of cliches on top of another.

I typically hate soap operas but the show is clearly making fun of them while using its tropes and I can't help enjoy that fact.

>Yet somehow it's weird or unusual that the two of them have a business relationship now?

They've had a business relationship for decades, ever since Lynch's embarrassing "hello fellow kids" moment that was Lost Highway.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Highway_(soundtrack)
youtube.com/watch?v=96aiVUK_6zg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vi4Qt2PODyk

Got your (you) I'm not surprised by it, but I guess the normies don't know these things. Didn't read the casting list or anything.

I was kind of hoping Reznor would play someone possessed by the entity that controlled Jeffries

Lynch is weird. He's a filmmaker that pals around with a lot of musicians.

>I'm not, but TP is like the biggest parody of soap operas

Well, no, that would be Rabbits, also by Lynch.

youtube.com/watch?v=GxKPBLjHAEA

there's a story about how he was totally starstruck and in awe about meeting Bowie during the FWWM shoot

Hesitation Marks is one of my favorite records of mine, Not The Actual Events is in my opinion a master piece, not sure if I like it more or less than Hesitation Marks, probably on the same place.

"Hesitation Marks is TDS part 2" user, are you here tonight?

I miss comfy NIN threads

i make the Rezfeel since the first incantation

I do too and they still happen but there's been hijackings.. I tried starting a /TR/ General thread, to no avail.

good stuff, keep it up.

pic related was my first OC, and I was so happy when I saw someone posting it

(nobody cares to fix the mic and his thumb, but hey)

>tfw I disliked With Teeth, Year Zero and The Slip

Enjoy all of Trent's other stuff, but I don't like the sound of those records.

YZ is a grower, and very different than the other two, give it a few more spins

I didn't like them either, they were an aquired taste. Especially The Slip

phm is posh, while the downward spiral is trents record for the abused.

fragile is best girl

...annnd now I'm going to anthropomorphize the abums into feel girls

dunno man, that girl seems too perfect to be for real

bet she's got reptile blood

If he ever decided to make an entire record of quiet piano numbers in the style of 13 Ghosts II, it would be his best album.

HAIL SAY10

He sort of did

why do we always have this thread about every artist? if they have under ~12 albums just listen to them in order

>b-but artists change styles and sometimes their early albums aren't that good
that's something you should decide for yourself, and if you're aware of the fact this is commonplace, surely not liking the first album you hear from an artist shouldn't deter you from following through and listening to the rest

if you actually want to "get into" the artist listen to their recorded output. if you just want to be able to keep up with the latest memes just listen to the one with the most ratings on rym or some shit. either way stop making this thread

exactly. Why is it so hard to just sit down and listen to artist evolve over time. Why do you need to skip and jump large gaps of time.

what made you want to get into nine inch nails?

Doug Bradley

I loved HM day one but I also think NTAE s the second coming. What do?

feel content, think of the new upcoming EPs and smile to yourself

I liked Year Zero, it was glitchy and noisy and good.

New EP this month, right?
I'm here now, f a m. I've been trying to analyze Not The Actual Events for a while now, not sure why since it seems to be an obvious piece of an unfinished puzzle, espceially seeing how the EP is part of two up-coming EPs.
To me, it feels like Not The Actual Events picks off right where Hesitation Marks left off, I was always very fascinated by Hesitation Mark's frankly creepy and very dramatic last three tracks, in these three tracks, don't get me wrong, Hesitation Marks is very uncomfortable throughout from beginning to end upon close inspection, but these three last tracks are the very dark points, it is where a glimpse of that machine from TDS starts peeling itself in, very briefly. But it is visible,
to re-cap:
In Two: The protagonist cannot see the difference between his good/bad side, between Mr.Self Destruct and him, he is realizing they're one and the same
While I'm Still Here: The protagonist seems to be saying goodbye, this is his human side, realizing the machine is eating him up again.
Black Noise: The human side is erased.

At first I assumed that "While I'm Still Here/ Black Noise" was a suicide of some sort, death, well, it is death, but not the one I assumed, it is the death of the "human" side which the protagonist tried so much to keep throughout the album yep the dark side of his kept coming back, he is clearly suffering in Hesitation Marks but he is much more mellow, you can really notice it still if you look for it, he is like an actual person with depression, he DOESN'T want you to know.
Nn Not The Actual Events he is horrified of it coming back yet he accepts it and glorifies it in the final track.
In Burning Bright he calls everything he has done to make himself better, all the things he has built "pathetic", he is accepting that at his core he is a fucking monster.

Just wait and watch this theory being non-sense with the two coming EPs though.

It is funny, everyone keeps talking about how simple and accesible it is, yet for me, The Slip for me personally was the least accesible thing he has released, even more so than Not The Actual Events, I love The Slip now. It is agressivea s fuck at some points yet experimental amazingly in the second side

not bad, but looking bad it's pretty obvious that all of NTAE (and possibly a huge chunk of his earlier stuff) was Twin Peaks fanwank

>you should feel insecure about using the internet

have never understood this. unless you're on fucking neopets or something to with with actual children, why would anyone give a shit? in what world should someone feel odd about typing words sometimes on Sup Forums?

Nah, TDS does not have any connection to the Twin Peaks.
Annie thing is a pure concidence, the Annie part is one of the most personal parts of TDS for Trent, as Annie was a person for Trent, real life one whom he broke up with. Failed romance, real life one.
She's Gone Away references Reptile in the lyrics sheet. Sure it makes sense in the context of the episode, but shows and movies have used songs which fit the movie's narrative, even though the actual meaning behind the song was far different, it just highlights how strong music and intepration can be.

>the Annie part is one of the most personal parts of TDS for Trent

he made that up right on spot during that interview/Q&A

No, Lynch, pls, don't L Y N C H the entire NIN discography.

also, funny that you mention Reptile, as it totally references Laura Palmer's theme during the breakdown [the "please, don't hurt me" part when it's live]

not that it means much, there's a quite a few movie samples in it

Oh wait

Fight Club was by Fincher.

ok, i'm tired as fuck, I didn't sleep for 2 days.

Ignore me pelase, move on, thank you