Why did he ruin his perfect discography?

Why did he ruin his perfect discography?

You're gonna rank this as his best album in three months

But user
TPAB>DAMN>GKMC

>perfect

He's never released a good album

its a pleb filter

this is one of the most wrong answers ive seen on this board in regards to pop music.....

> GKMC not the best
> not putting in S80
> DAMN anything but worst

This is either well hid bait or u can eat a dick

DAMN is his best work by a country mile. But DAMN is black in practice, not just theory. TPAB and GKMC are about contemporary blackness, but the music on either release is filtered heavily through a sensibility that is not contemporaneously.

Obviously I'm not willing to say it's white music, but they're way more friendly to Anglo tastes. DAMN, instead, is reflective of the past five years of hip hop.

My prediction: Wypipo will love this album after it no longer is a contemporary work. Historically, white people only love black music after blacks are largely done with it.

Forgot the word black at the end of the first paragraph.

So you're judging his albums by how well they conform to some vague idea of "black" music that you have in your head? That makes absolutely no sense my friend.

No artists that's around for more than one album ever has a perfect discography. At some point he was always going to release an album that's not quite as good. Don't lose your shit about it, just wait and hope that the next one is better.

And also Section.80 isn't perfect either

gkmc > tpab > damn

damn is still a 9 though

No, that's all incidental. I love DAMN to death because it's concise and focused in a way that his previous albums were absolutely not. It feels direct.

I'm mentioning the so-called blackness only in relation to the negative reaction here, and among the wide swath of people who are not day-to-day hip hop fans, but do turn up for the big, critically acclaimed releases.

The people here aren't listening to Migos or Future. They're not paying attention to rap (black) radio, just like they aren't paying attention to (white) pop radio.

The reaction to TPAB when it came out was considerably worse than the reaction to DAMN.

They're not listening to Migos or Future because Migos and Future don't make music worth listening to.

I don't think so. I remember TPAB being mixed, and all types of people shouting about it--but I also remember people being converted pretty quickly.

You're exactly the person I'm talking about.

Soul, funk, jazz, all that shit on TPAB isn't "black"? You're a fucking idiot.

what are you even talking about? no shit people here don't listen to mainstream radio how fucking new are you

His worst album is Untitled Unmastered but, even if so, it also has really great songs.

Are you seriously saying you like that Extra Luv song that Future just put out? I have tried their stuff out and I don't like it. I love DAMN, it's just a step below GKMC and TPAB for me. Mostly because of the song GOD honestly, that one seems so phoned in by Kendrick standards.

>a step below GKMC and TPAB

More like two steps below. I seriously can't understand the plebs on this board not noticing the dramatic quality shift from those two to Damn.

I know, even Fantano gets it and he's the biggest Kendrick fan of all time. Individually most of the songs work pretty well, but the great thing about GKMC and TPAB is that beyond that they also have an overarching theme and work as an album experience. Damn just feels rushed, like he wanted to put something out quickly to avoid becoming irrelevant. Maybe if he'd put half a year's extra work into it it could've been better.

Music can be anything, by anyone. But I'm talking about mainstream black music, and I'm talking about mainstream white music. Something that almost none of us know about: music that regular people like.

By that metric, no, that's not contemporary black music. Tune in to Detroit HOT 107.5 and let me know how many times you hear a song by James Brown, Parliament, or Gary Clark Jr.

I'm not saying you have to jerk off over every new single, but to totally disregard Migos or Future is bogus.

DAMN is great because the songs on it aren't trapped inside a bloated concept album. It stands on its own, song-for-song.

some user said it yesterday and hit it right on the head, I don't think it has to do with the time/effort he put into because there are quality songs on the project like XXX, but the way he went at it

Kendrick doesn't have the poetic depth of Nas or Kanye, the wide mass appeal of Jay-Z or Wayne but he's the greatest storyteller in hip hop to ever exist imo. This album chose not to tell a story.

these are the plebs I'm talking about

I've just said I've tried their stuff out. Can you blame me for disregarding an artist when album after album I find absolutely nothing to enjoy about them?

it's his Hail To The Thief

>unironically listens to Future and Migos and expects us to take him seriously

Elitism needs to come back to mu

>he's the greatest storyteller in hiphop

I'm not sure about that but that is easily Kendrick's best quality. Him choosing to not go "concept" for this album really hurt him basically this

yeah I agree we all know he can make great singles he's done it before but the whole appeal of kendrick was the way he magnificently crafted a fictional, real life story throughout his album bringing back recurring themes and characters, TPAB and GKMC are like full feature films compared to Damn. which is more like...a popcorn flick

No, not at all. You like what you like. But for me, when I dislike art, I am always trying to decide if I think it's genuinely bad, or if it's just not for me. Feel free to make your case, though, if you want, that Future is objectively bad. That's up to you.

What's thought of as elitism here is a way to guarantee that you guys will never be into anything interesting ever again. But, I hope you all have that time of your lives convincing yourselves that Swans and Radiohead are the heights of musical art.

So there's the microcosm of our dichotomy: I think Swans is absolute shit for blowhard faggots and you guys think Future is a dumb nigger.

>you guys think Future is a dumb nigger
I don't know why you keep thinking this board's general dislike for Future is racially motivated when other black artists are idolized.

I think Swans is pretentious 20 minute drone bullshit and Future is a dumb nigger making music that appeals to the lowest common denominator

and I say this while being black. Go fuck yourself and go back to whatever website you normally frequent

>Believable

Mu only cares about black artists that Fantano and Pitchfork tell them to. If an album gets a fucking light 8, mu will endlessly bang their head against shit that they would've immediately written off otherwise.

Talking about Kanye and Chance annually hardly qualifies us for anything. We barely pay lip service at all to the genres biggest artists, and even then are highly discriminating.

>waaah you guyz are racist go back to pol that's why you don't like Future

so reddit

based

Reddit, you're fucking retarded aren't you?
I'm calling bullshit you lying faggot.

because the genres biggest artists are mostly shit

seriously if you expect me to talk about kodak black and migos every day kill yourself or go back to r/hhh or KTT where you belong

Not everyone is a racist, and not everyone mindlessly likes what critics tell them to like. Please stop generalizing everything, it does not further your argument.

>if you don't discuss swae lee, lil yachty and future you don't know SHIT about black music

kek I bet you don't even have a single jazz or blues album in your library child

This is how you can tell mu is more infested with underage faggots more than ever. They call you ignorant of black music for not discussing top 40 hiphop but I bet money they can't name a single Miles Davis song without going to google. It's patchetic.

I didn't know Sup Forums was one person

elitism is coming back don't worry they'll all be gone soon enough

but he just added to it

retarded and a kyoanus shit poster? wew

Why do the most retarded post always come with a k-on reaction image.

DAMN is good, it's just not great. Kendrick still has an amazing discography. IMO-
GKMC > S80 > TPAB > DAMN > UU
I think TPAB is objectively his best but as far as personal enjoyment goes, it's somewhere in the middle

DAMN is his best work and every time I think different he releases a video and reminds me just how great it is.

Damn. It prints money.

>taking music videos into account when assessing an album's quality

>reminds me just how great it is
>REMINDS

>every time I think different he releases a video and reminds me just how great it is

That implies that the video changed your mind.

I can't stand this mediocre shitpie, I've never seen such an acclaimed artist so stubbornly avoid playing to his strengths in a pursuit of pure egotism.

This is the result of hip hop being a moneygrubbing circlejerk where your favorite rapper can do no wrong and offering criticism is like starting a gang war.

You are such a stupid faggot. I wish this board hated retards like Future as much as your hurt feewings reflected, then maybe trapfags wouldn't ruin so much of the hip hop discussion.