This is the best electronic music album

Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the sheer depth and intricacies of this album. Basement Jaxx

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/4393227
vimeo.com/132937771
youtu.be/QZ42i-6Ff9I
scaruffi.com/vol6/tobin.html
web.archive.org/web/20080212120836/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/22604-bricolage
youtube.com/watch?v=hqCNr6EUZy0
youtube.com/watch?v=w4DgPQbIdsY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I feel like there's been one person who's been trying to shitpost as much as possible across as many genres as possible for like the past month.

Yea it's good. I also like this thing by Jon Hopkins
vimeo.com/4393227

Autechre is better tho, obviously.

it's a shame that the rest of his music is so boring. this is the record that got me into house music. i've heard a lot of records since then that i prefer, but immunity certainly has a very nice sound.

Can't wait to see his new album drop. This is one of the songs he hasn't dropped yet

vimeo.com/132937771
Insides, Immunity and Opalascent are good in their own right. Hopefully his next album is a lot like Immunity

I agree with literally everything you said and Radiohead is my favorite band

I'll fight you this way. Ypu don't know about music, if you knew abput music you'll see that most of the chords are the same. The production is good, I'll give you that, but he used the same formula in all of the songs too, a bit crusher, a lot of sidechaining and a little bit of offbeat. All the bands with whom you compared Hopkins are at least a little bit more complex, so no, that depth that you feel is an ilusion, you think that because it is a unique album with a unique sound, something you hadn't heard, but that's all it has, uniqueness, not depth.

Basement Jaxx

Listen to more music.

>I have only listened to 7(seven) artists but I pretend I am allowed to have a opinion on electronic music
kys yourself

I don't get the appeal

shit taste

It's not the best electronic music album, but it is definitely the best recorded. The production on this is objectively phenomenal.

uh-huh

I'm confused

>implying

He seems like a lot of fun to watch live too
youtu.be/QZ42i-6Ff9I

It's a great album. But. Aphex is better. Autechre is better. Klaus Schulze is much better and predates all of them by miles.

And if we're just talking techno/house/120bpm music, Theo Parrish, Basic Channel, Madteo, and Levon Vincent all trounce Immunity.

I'd rec you listen to Kiasmo's S/T if you like that kind of spacey atmospheric house music. John Talabot, Nicolas Jaar, and John Roberts are equally good bets.

fucking genius

dad-ambient

Is this electronic?

no its pop

>the Orb

DUDE WEED LMAO
>Kiasmos
>Nicolas Jaar
>John Talabot
I have. Immunity is still better

>Nu Jazz
>Electronic

This album is just squarepusher-lite. Decent at best, absolutely shite at worst

>>Nu Jazz
>>Electronic
what the fuck

Imagine waking up one day and being this much of a pleb

here's a punch

>this album
>electronic

no

but it's not even his best work

>In Sides
>Not the Orange Album

It must be hard being this dense

Scaruffi and p4k beg to disagree.

scaruffi.com/vol6/tobin.html
web.archive.org/web/20080212120836/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/22604-bricolage

same ppl who think jon hopkins is a genius are the ppl who pee with the sit up.

>Scaruffi the meme and fucking p4k disagree

uh oh you really threw him for a spin there how will user ever recover

>using p4k as a legit website for ratings
BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

>techno
>good
end this meme

And yet another thread proves why """""electronic music""""" should never be discussed outside of /bleep/ (or Europe).

Its house.

I don't understand the individualistic mindset some people have when it comes to reading criticism. You'd never hear of a student of classical music refusing to look at their history textbook for fear of being brainwashed into liking something or other. The entire notion is silly.

You only encounter it in people who listen to pop music. I can only assume it's an overcompensation for an insecurity. Like, they know that the main basis of their preferences is social or other conditioned behavior, and by refusing to read reviews they can push the cognitive dissonance out and will themselves back into believing they're special snowflakes.

tl;dr if you don't read music criticism (and criticism and "reviews" are separate, as one is corporate-sponsored and the other is academic/scholarly) you are more ignorant than someone who does.

>Mistaking techno for microhouse and IDM
>Everything I don't like is techno!
End these memes

Immer says hello (I know it's a dj mix and not an album but still)

no idea why this fucking shit gets spammed here
gave it a spin and i was bored to death even at max volume.

>michael mayer

it's all the same repetitive 4/4 wank that's all about effects and textures. i'd rather listen to japanoise

>Michael Mayer
>Not Jon Hopkins

Opinion discarded

jon hopkins is a hack

>volume == quality

Music critics aren't historians you idiot.

All rock is 4 chord verse-chorus-verse about >tfwngf

All jazz is old black men blowing their own trumpets randomly

As far as existing attempts to record the history of rock music, catalog its most pivotal recordings and most impactful creative voices, and to evaluate its relationship to broader human culture, interpreting rock music and derivative forms as encompassing a standalone tradition of musical expression rather than placing it in a lesser valued or corrupted role unworthy of the same academic scrutiny as other forms, Scaruffi's History of Rock Music is the best attempt so far. Period. There is no disputing this.

As he writes in the foreward, "This is not a history of the charts", and many of you fail to take in the scope of what that means and why it is significant. He is the first writer to make a sustained case for rock music's elevated status as a mode of _artistic_ expression rather than a mode of _commercial_ enterprise. Remember how belligerent you plebeians get when I refer to art music forms vs. popular/commercial music forms? Scaruffi is the only prominent writer arguing on your side.

By eschewing a focus on popular success or popularly successful musicians for their own sake, his volume becomes not just a history of the "scene", but a serious history of (what he posits to be) an emergent art form, and his role as historian becomes that of tracing emergent musical and conceptual ideas as they first appeared within rock music, whether they directly impacted the mainstream approaches that year or three decades later.

This is iconoclastic by definition, as it runs contrary to the intent of any comparable text, but through his rigorous explanations he demonstrates beyond question that he is no mere contrarian.

Whether you agree with all his conclusions (With how many critics or hustorians do you not?) or find flaws in his methodology (I've noted my fair share) his text's importance in this regard cannot be diminished. Only a bona fide fool would attempt to dispute this.

Let these be the final words on the subject.

1. Copypasta
2. He has no training in music
3. You also considered p4k authoritative

some of those have melodies and modulations, which i've yet to discover in microidmbienthousewhatever

Readers often ask me why I did not become a musician, since my essays, indirectly, tell a musician what music he should or should not be making. Other readers accuse critics of being merely frustrated people who would like to be the very musicians and stars they "criticize". Again, in my case it goes back to my passion for history and for knowledge. Pythagora, who had a mystic attitude towards things, thought that the audience was more important than the athletes: the athletes were entertaining the audience but the audience was "contemplating" the athletes, and to Pythagora that was more important. Understanding nature was more important than being a part of it. In a sense, when you "contemplate" nature you manage not to be part of it, to be something else, above and beyond it, almost divine. Pythagora thought that this "contemplation" of nature led to logic. To Pythagora religion and mathematics were the same: the pure mathematician was a religious prophet, and viceversa. Contemplation was the key to understanding the universe, and it led to logical explanation of what the universe is. Logic was so ubiquitous in the universe that Pythagora thought that numbers were the ultimate reality. In particular, he discovered the relationship between numbers and music. Music is logic. All of this was evident to him as the "listener", not as the "maker" of music.

The value of art depends on the values of the art critic
The critic is the real artist
Most art is imitation, not innovation
The critic, not the artist, is the one who values innovation
The artist is merely a vehicle for the aesthetic/ideology of the critic.

this has to be one of scruffy's most premium brain farts

>All rock is 4 chord verse-chorus-verse about >tfwngf
>All jazz is old black men blowing their own trumpets randomly
This is beyond pathetic and you know it.

just like this

>Aphex Twin

But that's not Cirque by Biosphere.

> John Frusciante BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=hqCNr6EUZy0

who /proghouse/ here?

That's not real prog, this is prog youtube.com/watch?v=w4DgPQbIdsY

An Autistic Sup Forumsfag with a KORG Keyboard and a drum machine would make better songs than Aphex Twin

isn't that just what aphex twin is though

That nothingness of an Album
come on now

GOOD BLEEPS
>Acid anything
>The first and second waves of Detroit Techno
>R&S Records
>Ambient House
>Bleep and bass
>Plastikman
>Gas
>Massive Attack - Blue Lines
>Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1
>Orbital and Snivilisation albums
>Underworld's third and fourth albums
>Bjork - Debut and Primal Sceam - Screamadelica

FEDORA BLEEPS
>Instrumental Hip Hop
>Downtempo/Nu Jazz
>Trip Hop
>Broken Beat

SHIT BLEEPS
>Hardcore and jungle and drum n bass
>Big Beat
>Garage
>Jacking House

FUCKING EMBARRASSING
>Warp Records
>Radiohead
>Jon Hopkins
>Pitchfork-core

started browsing /bleep/ just a week ago: the post

god awful bait

Only your embarrassing section is good tho

>jungle
>bad

try again

>Primal Sceam - Screamadelica

>immunity
>not pic
>not Repons
>not either of GVSU's takes on minimalist classical
>not improvised music from Japan

but amon tobin is a prime example of actual electronic nu jazz, and squarepusher didn't make anything that bears any resemblance to it until afterwords
>absolutely shite
it must be rough not being able to talk about music in any kind of reasonable terms

entry-level as fuck

listened to this at work the other day
still grooves

Plastikman and John Hopkins are the same guy

>it's an NME journalist discovers dance music episode

laffin

>Jon Hopkins is embarassing
>Plastikman and Primal Scream are good

Kill yourself

(not true, by the way)

>that nothingness of an album

?