Does anyone else struggle with just listening to an album by itself and doing nothing else...

Does anyone else struggle with just listening to an album by itself and doing nothing else? What do you guys do while listening to new music?

i just stare at a wall or something

browse the internet or whatever, as long as you're still paying attention

It's funny actually, one of the most relaxing things I used to do was to put some music on, lie on my bed and daydream. It's not been something I've had the attention span to do for a good few years, I've always had to be doing *something*.

That said, over the past couple weeks, I've gotten back into it and I gotta tell ya, it's bliss.

listen to death grips &
E
D
G
E

i jack off

Stop listening to baby tier stuff.

Art Music
Jazz
Experimental Electronic
Traditional Folk

Will all require your entire attention at hand to fully break apart everything going on.

>not being able to multitask
pleb

I usually do something inane or anything I can do without much thought - housework, cleaning, laundry, lurking Sup Forums or playing Spelunky usually

This actually, even though I love music, there's been few times i've actually just listened to music while doing nothing. Does laying in bed at night count? Or travelling on the bus?

Yeah, you can do that with Sup Forumscore tier garbage and not miss anything. You can't also do it with the more engaging stuff above, but you won't be able to fully engage as a listener. It's why nobody's tryna mosh at Carnegie hall because everyone's attention is taken up by the music.

I go for long walks or go to the park and swing, the best way imo. Also do sudoku or origami. Working out is pretty good too.

I started doing this before bed recently and I gotta agree

ride the bus
walk

lie in bed and just focus on the music

i'm sure the internet has ruined your attention span, is all

>tfw to intelligent

>collect music that connects with me within 30 seconds or so
>viciously remove everything that, even for a little bit, makes me cringe or feel anything i don't want to feel
>organize it according to whim

i have tried all other methods of handling my 30,000 songs, and this seems to be the only one that works. i rarely listen to full albums because i really want to. i have to force it. i usually get bored a few songs in unless it's a REALLY REALLY compelling album. the only times i can sit through 1-2 hrs of the same artist is when it's a concert. i really like what devin townsend has been doing lately. and it's fun to watch classic bands in their prime. old megadeth and metallica shows are cool. old judas priest is pretty cool. and gwar of course is a cool live band.

i get that you're "supposed" to listen to albums in their entirety because they're meant to be these singular pieces of art. there's nothing about most music that's so compelling i want to sit around and just listen for an hour. i might if i was high on marijuana, but arguably everything is more interesting on marijuana. getting high is called being intoxicated; it's not your brain in its normal state. the music isn't different--you are.

the majority of people make it seem like they have infinite patience for fuckin russian literature, long-ass progressive rock albums based on cryptic, vague concepts, and acts like death grips are just edgy memes for edgy children. the reality is they want to impress others (with things like CHARTS) by showing off what they consider patrician taste.

Sup Forumscore is the apple, inc. of music. have another latte, faggot.

It's simple: find an album to listen to, do shit for the day, and then when it's like 11:30 and you're in bed listen to it. That's really the best way of appreciating music that I've found.

i barely even listen to music at home anymore. at home i'm either goofing off watching youtube and playing games, or mash piano chords trying to learn to play something

I browse this shit hole.

Will browse internet generally. Swans and postrock tings are best enjoyed in bed

I can't say I can relate to not being physically capable of sitting and listening to an album, but I really don't have enough time in the week to listen to all the music I want to if I don't multitask sometimes. Especially while exercising or commuting.

Yeah it can be hard to find a time to focus 100% on the music you listen to when youre busy. This isnt a big deal with most music, at least for me cause i can digest that shit with half a brain, leaving me open to multitask other shit.
However jazz, art rock and classical will demand your full attention to fully appreciate.

put some earphones on and go take a walk.

thisthisthis