Based tom

>A writer comes with nothing and he writes something down and there’s a story. Then a bunch of actors come along, and people can watch that. Then a third person comes along and says, ‘I really love what you guys are doing. And if you’d just do it the way I see it, we’d really be onto something.’ And there’s part of me that goes: ‘Why are you here?’ A director who hasn’t written something, and they say, ‘Trust me.’ And I’m like, ‘With what, mate?’”

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/94390460
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

really puts things into perspective....

really makes you think

Tom?

Someone needs to make the important artistic decisions otherwise everyone would be chipping in with their ideas and nothing would get done.

That's a big opinion.

He's right.

Well yeah movies where the director's the same person as the lead writer are usually better.

Anyoen know the lenght of this buzzcut?

Metric please, im form a civilized country.

5mm? 3mm? What?

what a nob.
Might aswell tell the conductor to fuck off in an orchestra

1 to 3 high fade

If you're asking for your haircut in millimeters you shouldn't be getting a buzzcut - you should be getting a willly up the botty like a good little ponce.

reminder he was all grumpy filming Mad Max until he say it and apologized to Miller

man you yurocucks are fucking unbearable.

>Someone needs to make the important artistic decisions otherwise everyone would be chipping in with their ideas and nothing would get done.
This is true. But it's also rather silly to have a director who is not involved in any way with the script making shit changes.

That's fucking stupid
Actors don't know how to light a scene or anything else about actually shooting a filml

>directors light the scene

>making a movie without actors

Good luck. They are the only ones who matter.

Or do you want o cast the script girl as the lead becasue she sucked you off before coffee?

Directors are important, but not nearly as much as people think.

A good writer is harder to find than a good "director"

Worked for Tom

He must suck a mean dick

Most directors don't know dick about that stuff either. They hire professional lighters or camera men to figure that stuff out. Then they just approve the other professionals hard work.

My biggest pet peeve is productions where supervisors do 99% of the work. They work with the cast and crew getting everything perfect and making the hard choices. Then the director gets handed essentially a finished product, nitpicks a couple things to fix. And stamps their name on it and claims their paycheck with 3 extra zeros on the end.

I cast a play a few years ago based on how likely it was to fuck them.

I fucked one of them and my mate fucked the other. Mine was hotter imo, although she was 12 years older than me.

For you.

Hollywood in general greatly undervalues writing. So many big budget movies just have shit for writing. As though pretty colours and good acting alone can carry a movie.

I heard a couple fags on the subway discussing this being essentially a prerequisite casting requirement to even get other people interested in the production. They were clearly graduate students at most too.

Really makes you consider the moral qualities of nazi germany.

The problem is that people act like all directors are auteur directors. Most of them have no style or unique creative vision.

Are we seriously doing the "directors are overrated" thing?

The defining feature of movies is that it's a visual art form. The director is the one that compiles the visual elements. He tells the DP how to light to his request, he tells the actors where to stand and move, he directs the camera operator, he tells the editor what to cut, he approves effects and production design.

You can take a written script and give it to two people to shoot, and they could give you two wildly different shots. That's why the director is most important. Of course an actor who's job depends on scripts might think differently but he's ultimately wrong.

>I have never worked on a movie set: the post

Depends on the changes
Most changes will be small things, like flow
When it comes to actually producing scenes, things that worked in the writer's head may be impractical or just not make sense in reality

>source: I saw this happen the other day where the writer was on set while the director and the actors discussed some changes that needed to be made to the dialogue/blocking

This. You have to have a director to steer the ship and be where the buck stops for creative decisions. But I've seen too many movies that might look great, but without a good script, it's just tragically unsatisfying. I've seen plenty of movies that while might not be the most visually perfect, have a great script and performances and I'll take that over the former any day. Ofc when you're banging on all cylinders is when classics are made...

actors tend to have really inflated egos sometimes

did the director feel like he was in charge?

Must be why he works with Christopher 'two takes tops' Nolan so much.

>Huur it's soo hard deciding where too put a camera and what angle too film things at

Literally a child could do their job.

a pro director would be better than a child, which is why they're used instead of children.

Go on then, show us how easy directing and camera placement is
Make a masterpiece and win a bunch of awards and then we'll take your opinion seriously

Anyone can point a camera and tell people what too do. Stop pretending it's an art.

I don't have the connections. Have you ever heard some directors actually speaking? Literally anyone can do it if those chumps can.

>Anyone can put paint on a canvas tell people what it represents. Stop pretending it's an art.

you don't get to bring producers

but pro directors would be better than children, which is why they're used instead of children.

Directors always look at the script pre-production, usually working with the writer to see what works and what doesn't. Directors who don't help with the script, yeah, are pretty bad.

100% certain you're one of those pseudo-intellectuals that think an "artist" throwing monkey feces on a canvas is "deep" and impressive too.

All I'm hearing isan excuse. What a way to avoid doing anything while pretending to better than everyone

Lots of people have no connections and make it
Lots of people have several connections and fail hard. Quit bitching and prove us wrong or shut the fuck up

>Most of them have no style or unique creative vision.

This is true. Directors like Guy Ritchie actually deserve the praise because they give a new view to the script

>strawmanning this hard
>missing the point of the comparison
wew lad

Nobody hires actual children. Just manchild directors.

>Anyone can point a camera and take a picture. Stop pretending it's an art.

nobody hires children because but pro directors would be better than children, which is why they're used instead of children.

Nice cop out. What is the job description of a director and tell me why it's soo hard?

I'm not misinterpreting your argument. You're literally saying only a small percentile of people can point a camera and bark orders correctly.

>Anyone can grab some clay and mold it into a shape. Stop pretending it's an art.

Directors are the Quarterback of the football team movie world

>Doesn't even know what a director does
>feels like he has the authority to criticise them
Sup Forums in a nutshell I guess

Photography isn't art either. You serious?

Not anybody can make something out of clay look good. Anyone can film something good if it's good. There is no skill required.

i only watch movies both written and directed by the same person. anything else is ridiculous.

I know what a director is, I want you too point out the hard part. I bet you're a faggot in film school and think you're real important as an aspiring director.

>Anyone can film something good if it's good. There is no skill required.
Based on your extensive knowledge and experience from filming things?
How interesting, do you mind sharing them with us so we can see how great you are? If not, maybe shut the fuck up about something you clearly know nothing about

Nonsense/10. If that's a real quote I've lost some respect for Hardy, but it's fairly regular these days to lose esteem for the utterly stupid behavior of actors. I know this was meant to be a "director hate thread", but can we talk about how stupid actors are? I mean they are dumb idiots who are picked out of a crowd simply based on their looks, they are not artists in any way.

>Based on your extensive knowledge and experience from filming things?

Yes, I've pointed a video camera before user. It's not hard.

>point out the hard part of a physical and mental activity through text

>getting this trolled
please stop

So show us your amazing work if it's so easy faggot
I refuse

>I can't adequately describe in text the hard part of physically moving a camera and placing it somewhere or some apparently bullshit skillful mental part of it so I'll alleviate all responsibility with a reaction picture.

Bravo

I don't have a camera. Are you so mentally challenged you need someone else too show you how too work one? Director pls.

You literally just said you'd pointed a camera before and it was easy. Cameras are fairly cheap and there's a lot of money in the industry
If it's so easy, why aren't you making millions?

>Anyone can grab a pen and write a story. Stop pretending it's an art.

Probably because I'm not sucking jew and glorified cameramens dicks. You seem up for it though.

Creating a good story takes skill, pointing a camera does not in any way.

>i know nothing about the industry but i'll carry on making claims about it
vimeo.com/94390460

That was made on a $200 camera by someone with no connections
The guy that made it now earns money making videos and is set to direct a feature in the next year or 2
If it's so easy, either do it or stop being a little bitch making excuses

Director fanboys on suicide watch ITT

Oh wow, he can point a camera that's turned on at some water and peoples faces who are talking and reciting a script. He's the most talented person alive! ANY credit for this being good belongs too the writer and actors.

"Sandwich artists" that work at Subway literally have a harder more skillful job than a Directors.

Any idea what happens to the writer and those actors when he DOESN'T point the camera?

the cinematographer would simply follow the script and use common sense. maybe collaborate with the actors and writer.

That doesn't make Directors talented, just necessary because they record all the hard work and skill others are doing. Lmao are you seriously going with that?

He has a point, there are always people with different specializations on a filmset and in the workplace in general and there are always people in leading positions who make unqualified demands. Just let the people who know their shit do their magic and get the credit and don't meddle too much.

I've worked for years on film sets. It was all the same, 95% of the scenes are people talking, while sitting in a room or walking. It was just a wide shot of all of them, then close-up and then details if needed. It was literally all the same crap all the time. But yet we had visionary hack directors (who had nothing to do with the script or anything) who thought the world is going to stop spinning if they're not there.

That's a 2 on top, probably a 1 on the sides.

i cant stop laughing

Just kill yourself...

Butthurt filmschool kiddie detected. Prepare too suck a lot of cock in your future.

>People will unironically defend the "skill" it takes too direct a movie with people like Kevin smith on this earth

Flabbergasted.

>People will unironically defend the "skill" it takes to paint a painting with people like Damien Hirst on this earth

also, I corrected your grammar. you're welcome

>"Why are you here?"

Referencing deep Baneposting lore, nice. What level is he? At least seven, right?

>nothing would get done
that's what producer for

Depends on the producer, but a good producer will try to stay removed from artistic choices where possible

>cinematography is pointing a camera

Posting from your ISP, IP range, or country has been blocked due to abuse. [More Info]

why can't I make threads

>ITT - people who don't know jack shit about cinema industry
Go watch behind the scenes of Hobbit for example to understand the scale of AAA-productions and why so many people are required. By the end you will wonder how the fuck they even managed to get done anything

Did he watched Lost River? It will answer his question perfectly

how do i become a director

point a camera and you'll get it done

that's what Sup Forums told me