Vinyl discussion

post your collections and talk about vinyl and the vinyl culture

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/user/ShadowBroker/collection
discogs.com/user/Herbieguy/collection
discogs.com/user/Hardbody_Harrison/collection
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yBrmQXvfBxLddQqcWto2Hkk5h1vTMdTd_wkF4BybakA/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>vinyl culture
I learned RSD is a huge meme where people rush to scalp special releases. Although I did cop pic related and feel pretty good about that. Also looking for recs to upgrade my ATLP60. I know I need to look for something with a counter weight, but beyond that what else should I look for? Is it actually worth it to invest in a 500$+ turntable or is that audiophile meme territory?

Just get the ATLP120, you can't go wrong.

Do charity shops usually hold records and are they mostly just the same shit - Beatles, Pink Floyd. All beat up and smelling like cigs

Beatles and Floyd? lol no.
Think Country, gospel, choir music, k-tel mixes, etc.
And the condition is usually bad. But for $1 or less, it's worth the occasional look. You might find something.

everyone used to belong to columbia house records

Anyone know a good record I can test out my new system with?

Any album you enjoy user

Old ass and christmas music. Lots of people you have never heard of. Never expect to find anything significant at one. Can find some orchestra music that might be good.

I still think Dark Side of the Moon is a great choice.

Aja

my house is so dusty that i can't play records. i clean often but it just seems to keep coming. what do?

This. Or something thats fucking beefy and recorded on analogue

Good point. I'll do that

I don't really like DSotM desu, but it might be good for testing, yeah.

Aww shit good choice, user. Have that home too.

Get your hvac deep cleaned. Also, get rid of pets and vacuum once a week. And shoes off while on carpeting.

And if you live in a city or near and major highway, keep your windows closed or get a fine screen mesh for them to keep out dirt and road grime. That stuff gets all over.

basic right now

Heyyy I'm listening to that Tool record right now.

> recent gets

Two and a half years in and I recently passed 400 records. Currently moving and it's a fucking nightmare.

Pic related is my top ten most valuable records. Nothing special, as it turns out.

stupid rotate

I don't by modern music (digitally produced ) in vinyl , only stuff from actual vinyl period.... say; pre 1988?

I mean, sure, I realize cassettes were huge method of consumption in the eighties. But they were still pressing vinyl and production was only begining to be digitized.

I'm retarded as fuck.

>I don't by modern music (digitally produced ) in vinyl , only stuff from actual vinyl period.... say; pre 1988?

This is the way to go. There's no real benefit to buying shit mastered for digital on vinyl unless it's cheap/you like the album art/you wanna collect shit.

I have some vinyl, but no turntable. What should I look for in a good turntable? Should I be worried about one without a counterweight fucking my shit up?

Apparently the first RATM record is perfectly mixed and people use it as a litmus test in studios to make sure all their shit is level

Do I have anything that will go up in value if kept in (M)int condition?

discogs.com/user/ShadowBroker/collection

Nice man. It's a good album. Although the quality is a little bad because it's a picture disk but meh it's a nice thing to have jn a collection

I'd say go vintage, but make sure it works. I bought a Sony PS-555 with a Stanton 681eee cartridge for $120. The only problem with vintage is the fact that it's old, so if it does breakdown, you'd have to search for parts, but I feel that's not so bad. I'd say 700+ is audiophile meme territory.

They hold records, but from what I've found it's a lot of old music that really isn't worth listening to and is best left forgotten. Other times though, you'll find some really neat stuff. One time I found Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues at a thrift store, but didn't buy since there was a giant scratch going across most of the A side. You can always expect to find some great classical selections though.

Sleep's Holy Mountain seems like something that will go up in value

it's a mastapeece

Sorry I can't get pics but here's my collection on discogs.

discogs.com/user/Herbieguy/collection

latest score, from a church rummage sale a week or so ago. 3 for a dollar. Took home 50 records total, these were the ones I was most excited about. All NM.

>TVU&N
>New repressing of TVU&N

Why do people do this? It's not worth shit and you can download a better quality version via Youtube to MP3. 1967 pressing or what the fuck are you doing

If you're trying to get laid just print out a cover and put it on a pizza box.

Basic is right

plus these, I already had all the Beatles shit from my mom but they're from when she was a kid and scuffed and scratched to fuck and back, so I was glad to get some in good condition that I could add to discogs, still need the earlier stuff though.

discogs.com/user/Hardbody_Harrison/collection

im new to vinyl and have mostly been getting new releases that are my favs so i havent had to worry much about reissues

what's the easiest way to know when something is a reissue?
is it different for different records or is there an easy way to tell if anything is reissue?

Pic related is my turntable and a section of my records. Camera's so shit I didn't think any close-up shots would be worth it, here's a list of my collection though: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yBrmQXvfBxLddQqcWto2Hkk5h1vTMdTd_wkF4BybakA/edit?usp=sharing

Discogs, my boy.
Discogs.

Vinyl is for fucking faggot hipsters. It's a gigantic waste of money, space, and time just to listen to lo-fi shitty sounding disks that will wear out after a hundred plays and will never sound as good as the first time you listen.

Why do you care?

I gain satisfaction out from putting other people down. I feel superior to you less rational beings

bump

Rarest thing i have is a test pressing of "the missing link" by "Post Mortem" a proto-death metal band from Boston.

the case is a blank stock case and the cover is a polaroid attached with scotch tape.

i doubt another one exists, none of it is on youtube or the internet as far as i can tell either.

How can I get rid of a very low hum on my turntable? It's somewhere in the 15-30Hz range. I can't turn on my subwoofer beyond a certain volume because it starts going absolutely crazy. And below that it's a constant hum. The cone never stops moving. It's a Pro-Ject Esprit SB

I use Brothers in Arms.

Aren't subwoofers pointless for vinyl/vintage setup anyway

If your pair of speakers already cover the necessary low-range spectrum (down to 20Hz maybe), just turn it off

want to get into cassettes

this guy gets it

>that rare nazi record