What component of success is DC missing and why does it just come so naturally to Marvel?

What component of success is DC missing and why does it just come so naturally to Marvel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cZ12ghCqO3o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dc are too dark and edgy, not fun enough. need more color and quips.

Suicide Squad had all that and was total garbaggio

but BvS was already more colorful and less serious than Civil War

>tfw too intelligent for Marvel
>tfw too dumb for DC

nah
it had success.

>What component of success is DC missing

They want to appease the masses while aiming to a very niche group aspies.

They either have to stop appealing to the masses and go full aspie or stop appealing to the aspies.

From what I've gathered they are trying to do the last now. We'll see with JL.

You can't just add colors and quips for normies. You also need to remove all the dark and the edgy for critics.

Everything DC does is aimed purely at existing fans of DC comics. Their TV shows have build-up and foreshadowing that only make sense if you're already familiar with the comics, and to those unfamiliar with the comics a lot of it ends up being underwhelming at best or downright confusing at worst. The movies feel the same way, they're trying to appeal to an existing fanbase who's already familiar with the material.

What Marvel did was create fresh movie experiences with zero prior knowledge required, and it allowed them to target not only fans of comic books, but more importantly to bring in tons of new fans who never read any comics.

Marvel reached out to a wider audience to bring in new fans, and it worked. DC tries to appeal only to its existing fans and it's failing hard.

They're heavily basing their universe on Superman and he is just an uninteresting character.
Also they're trying to catch up on marvel and that's retarded since there is like a 8 movies gap

DC's movieverse is missing a few elements, actually. For one thing I never could get a clear portrait of who Clark Kent is, outside the Superman costume. I guess I would say he's very pensive and melancholy, because he spends a lot of time silently looking slightly upward wits slightly pursed lips, in a sort of "beatific" expression which is I guess supposed to make him more Christlike. He still has that hero impulse, like we see on the oil platform.

As I type this, I realize there were many elements that seemingly were intended to make Clark someone identifiable, the holding off on fighting back in the diner, drinking a beer at the farmhouse, but somehow they almost all fell flat. So maybe what's actually missing is a director who can actually make a character shine through and make the audience gravitate toward them, instead of just passively viewing the events onscreen.

It's like Snyder doesn't really do "characters" he just does figures that are posed for iconic shots, as if he's not telling a visual story, but some kind of visual art piece. If so, it's not an especially good visual art piece, and that isn't what audiences or reviewers enjoy about Superhero films in any case.

marvel is family fun that you can bring literal 6 year olds to. how is that hard to understand for marvel babies? and before you call me a dcuck ive never ever watched a single super faggot movie in my life and despise comic books and am going from trailers ive seen on this board

Are marvelcucks behind the blacked threads? It all makes sense now...

i forgot to add to this that dc is for edgy faggy 13 year olds so they arent much better than le family fun quippy fun happy time marvel babies

DC isn't edgy enough for the movies to be taken seriously, and they aren't funny enough for everyone to like the movies.

there's nothing wrong with family fun, in fact it takes a lot of talent to engage children never mind adults too

DC's producers are a bunch of fucking retards who meddle in every production with zero artistic vision. Meanwhile the entire MCU is run by this based motherfucker.

>Actual Marvel comics fan
>Successfully maneuvers around stubborn Marvel execs to let him try MCU
>Idea seemed bananas crazy at a time because Marvel was nearly bankrupt and most popular characters were splitted between other studios
>Takes the risk and produces Iron Man
>Proceeds with creating $10 bln franchise from nothing
>Revolutionized the concept of movie franchise
>Runs things so efficiently that there were little to no scandals or production misfires for the project this large, namely all top stars are willing to continue filming
>No movie or script leaks like retards at Fox or Sony regularly do
>Of 13 movies he oversaw 13 are financially successful with 13 of those having positive critic reception
>Slowly returns Marvel characters to their home from other studios
>Excellent relations with Disney board as well as lots of Hollywood people
>Cucks Paramount
>Cucks Universal
>Picks up the fight with uncooperative CEO when the time comes
>Wins the fight and becomes co-CEO himself
>Cucks Sony into Spider-Man deal
>Humiliates WB/DC at capebowl of 2016
>MCU steamroller is going as strong as ever
>Starts war with co-CEO over Marvel TV
>Starts it just at the moment when Civil War is breaking its billion while TV ratings are declining - a move that will undoubtedly make him look good and co-CEO bad
>Looks like he is going to win this too
>This is the man who made Iron Man and Captain America larger cultural icons than Batman and Superman
>This is the man who produced a comic book movie about Rocket Racoon, a movie that was more profitable and critically successful than a movie featuring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman

MARVELED.

basing the tone of all of their stuff on 2-3 edgelord comics series that were popular 30 years ago

Back to jewddit plz

DC tries too hard.

Marvel established the tone of the movies with the first Iron Man.
Light comedy dialogue scenes with banter and jabs, a one-note villain that's really only there so there's something to do in the movie and most importantly heavy emphasis on establishing the setting of the entire MCU and how characters interconnect.
This allowed even risky superheroes like Ant-Man to make bank since audience know what to expect, they get exactly what they wanted and they might get a few cameos out of it too.

Meanwhile DC is trying to basically follow Nolan's lead and do a serious tone take on it's heroes but that's a misjudgment since it only works for Batman and it already worked once so people had their fill of it.
Now Superman is some reluctant guy who's mildly depressed, the rest of the "heroes" look like some goobers off a tv show and they completely fucked it up with both Lex and Joker.
Not only that but you can feel the desperation as they want to rake in the big bucks from team-up movies before they spent time establishing them individually.
On top of that Snyder still thinks he's directing Watchmen.
He's capable of some kino moments but has no eye for the larger picture and the plot ends up being a pile of half-baked ideas.

this, also you need to pay attention to the movie so I can't tweet to my tweeters about how epic the film is

but Deadpool was edgy and had great reviews, it also BTFO SS and BvS domestically.

Deadpool was edgy like Reddit is edgy

Daredevil is dark and edgy and it's doing great.

Cry more DCucks.

We still have no idea if WB had an endgoal in mind beyond making a new billion dollar franchise. Marvel's 1st goal was seeing if people would want to see the Avengers. Now, we're on the homestretch to Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

MoS was a rush job by WB that made them choose their 10th or 11th choice director in order to keep full control of the Superman IP. Then, instead of taking the time to map out where they wanted to be in 5 years, they decided to just hurry up and get to Justice League without caring about the finer details. If WB doesn't care, why should audiences?

The DCEU is already a massive fucking mess and it's only 3 movies in. Fucking disgusting.

Don't kid yourself, marvelcuck

uh... clap clap???

Remind me which studio panders to edgy teenagers obsessed with not being little kids, and which one understands that you need mass market appeal to sell tickets?

Marvel has had eight years, starting with Iron Man to now, to put all the pieces together whereas DC has been trying to do it in three years.

>hype the fuck out of a character
>market the movie with that character like he's going to have 90% of screentime
>cut the hell out of that character
>reduce him to 6 mins of screentime

For fucks sake having Batman and Joker in the same movie should be bulletproof idea, still can't believe they fucked it up, did some Sony guy come and give them advice

Nigga, DC had the idea of cinematic universe before Marvel, but they never managed to make it since their movies flopped all the time.

DC has also made 2 movies that are each better than every marvel flick combined somehow

Diversity

>it's failing hard.

Where did this meme come from? Suicide Squad was a huge success

You mean the '78 Superman and the '89 Batman? Because I guarantee that no DCEU movie even comes close to their greatness. Not one of the DCEU movies even deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Donner's Superman and Burton's Batman.

nice b8

>he is just an uninteresting character.
(you)

we just gotta keep hoping DC will get their shit together soon
youtube.com/watch?v=cZ12ghCqO3o

>Are marvelcucks behind the blacked threads?

what a silly question

Who's b8ing? There genuinely is no DCEU that is anywhere near as good as Donner's Superman or Burton's Batman.

Marvel is now shoved down kids throats that's to Disney's unlimited marketing budget

Damn it. Meant to say "no DCEU movie".

Once again. Not baiting. There really isn't a DCEU movie that really gets the characters and setting of Batman and Superman like Burton's and Donner's films. Their DCEU counterparts are hot messes of movies on their own, let alone by comparison to the Burton and Donner films.

you're not fooling anyone

>There really isn't a DCEU movie that really gets the characters and setting

Suicide Squad

I'm genuinely curious as to why you think I'm trying to fool anyone.

Please. Suicide Squad was forgettable at best. The only really memorable things in that movie were Harley and Joker (moreso Harley; Joker is memorable for a lot of wrong reasons).

No they didn't. At no time in DC's history was a cinematic universe like what Marvel has even contemplated. It was only after Marvel showed success with their cinematic universe that DC went into overdrive to make their own. Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman and all of their sequels were never intended to be the start off point of a greater cinematic universe.

The first attempt at a cinematic universe began in 1998 for Superman Lives. The film was supposed to be written by Kevin Smith[15] and directed by Tim Burton. The film was set to feature Nicolas Cage as Superman.

inb4 Wikipedia hurr durr

SS IS Reddit edgy

a shared universe isn't really DC things in the first place
Hence why they can Classic movies like Superman 78 and Burton's Batman but not a shared universe between the two
MArvel was created to be a shared universe but can only make average family flicks
>inb4 iron man is GREEEAAATTTT
no

And you saw how far that went. The writing was on the wall for them even back then.

This would be more accurate if the girl was a potato.

Watchmen still best comic book movie. Nothing even came close

only because deconstruction capeshit is the only time capeshit is actually any good

They also tried to make a cinematic universe with Green Lantern, and few unreleased projects before that, they even wanted to make BvS movie before The dark knight trilogy

Just get rid of Snyder