Movies show NYC to be a paradise where everything is happening and everyone is cool

>Movies show NYC to be a paradise where everything is happening and everyone is cool
>Visit it
>It's disgusting and full of poor people

Why do movies lie like that? Also, how do they even film there when it's so busy all the time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they don't film in NYC. Suits is filmed in Toronto, but set in NYC. the avengers is filmed on a green screen

I've visited NYC too. it has a large tourist population and large under 30 population (don't know how they can afford it tbqh)

only saw poor people on the subway and in front of mcdonald's restaurants

Apparently the government is full gommie there and they subsidise housing

it's the filmmakers' biases.

They're all from la

NYC is a very recognizable and iconic city

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

it's gentrifying though and has made enormous strides since the 80s

I went to NYC last year and manhattan was full of asian qts and normal looking people in general, same for brooklyn.
I did saw a nigger getting arrested the moment I arrived the Bronx lol

>full of poor people
???

Let me guess, there's somebody who thinks that white people are evil because of this.

>how do they even film there when it's so busy all the time?
They don't. They film in LA or Vancouver and say it's New York.
The new Spider-Man movie is filming in Atlanta.

Isn't that obvious though? Don't things vary state by state?

>somebody
evidently a lot of people, including an ever-growing chunk of teachers and professors

it's marketing
literally gets people to come to the city and visit America

I saw something about this where some states were trying to get benefits/subsidies for film makers so they could get their state landmarks shilled and get more tourists

Also, Mexico did this for the Bond movie where they payed to get their capital shilled and make it look better than the shithole it really is

most people won't notice or care

they didn't do a very good job of shilling since iirc the mexico scene was drowned in a washed out piss yellow filter

mexico city is pretty much the brown version of nyc
they're both overpopulated, overrated and over polluted

Movies generally show Manhattan. Nothing higher than central park. There are literally no poor people in those parts.

american propaganda lad

flyover fag detected. You couldn't even afford a month of rent in Manhattan.

I was there once and we realized we got on the wrong train. Headed right for the Bronx we were like aw shit fuck this and had to get out. Saw a bunch of Spaniard tourists bust their ass on the subway too, fucking hilarious

>having a higher cost of living and yet the same standard of living

enjoy your rat laden hell hole

>new yorkers are THIS assblasted over tourists not liking their crowded shithole

Your city sucks senpai

>There are literally no poor people in those parts.

You're welcome!

>I love a city where they literally store their trash in open piles on the street

>this is what flyovers actually believe

New York is dirty as fuck and New Yorkers themselves are scumbags.

>Why do movies lie

"Fiction"

NYC is gross. It's overcrowded, covered in trash, filled with nonwhites and smells like a dumpster filled with diapers.

This flyover maymays is amusing. It's interesting watching cityfags trying to defend their low standard and high cost of living in a tiny box room because they're somewhere supposedly relevant.

>under-18s have no idea how bad NYC used to be

It's pretty much Disneyland now.

>say something wrong because he's a flyover
>gets called out on it
>gets triggered

What was it like before then? Even in its shitty days it had rich people surely?

There's really not a winning move here. Leave those places to rot? Redlining, discrimination, de facto slums, blah blah blah. Reinvest into those places? Now the property value has gone up and the native populatoin can't afford to live there. Gentrification, targeting black communities, more white aggression.

It's like we're supposed to give them money and say "now don't change a goddamn thing".

>angrily defends the privilege of spending $2500 a month to live in a cubicle
>this is because he feels a sense of secondhand relevance by living 4 blocks from Mr. Goldberg
wew lad

>>Visit it
>>It's disgusting and full of poor people

Really? I've visited New York many times, and I was stunned by how clean and safe it is compared to the movies. I remember just wandering around Manhattan with my friends without any real sense of being in danger at any point.

Rich people who would get robbed in broad daylight in midtown Manhattan. That shit doesn't happen anymore.

Was it like the Warriors?

The Bronx was.

I don't even live in NYC. But you're retarded for thinking they give away housing for free because of subsidies. And your own posts refute that. Are you unironically retarded?

Neat. The Warriors was a cool film, I thought it was all just post apocalyptic fiction.

>white people are shown to be noble friendly heroes
>meet white people
>actually sociopathic arrogant little shits

You know all those superhero movies that show New York as some incredibly dangerous place where everyone was seconds away from getting shot in an alleyway(Spider-Man, Batman trilogy, Daredevil, etc.)? Those movies were all made by people who grew up in the 70s and 80s, so that's basically how New York was back then.

You ever seen Taxk Driver? It was pretty much like that until Giulani started with the zero tolerance policy

it's almost as if the jews create propaganda and lie about things in media

It's filthy though. I didn't find it unsafe particularly, my issue was more that it was disgusting, they literally leave rubbish on the street. Also homeless everywhere.

>citydwellers are so schizophrenic they literally believe they're talking to one person in anonymous arguments on the internet

nyc is the brown version of nyc

A lot of people in our generation don't realize how fucking terrible the 70s were.

>it's filthy though

Yeah, certain parts of it were pretty dirty, that kind of surprised me. I guess that's what happens when you have 13 million people crammed into such a tiny area. But I'm from the suburbs, where everything is sparkly clean and you get fined if your grass is too long so I almost liked seeing something a bit dirtier.

well, niggas had disco, it couldnt have been that bad
Id kill to have some dance halls back
No homo

I went to NY a couple months ago and had an experience quite the opposite. Looked very clean.. not many homeless people. Was just like the movies. Manhattan was, at least. I stayed in a hotel by LaGuardia and the area was complete trash.

The media lies a small fraction as often as Sup Forums shitposters do, so that isn't really an argument on the neo version of this site. Calling what you do lying is really an understatement though, since like in this case, you're responding to a lie with another lie and pretending both are true.

>Was just like the movies
New York is pretty much 100% Toronto, Vancouver, and Hamilton in the movies/TV.
That said, NYC is great, former Queens citizen here.

>they don't film in NYC.

that's not indicative of what NYC is actually like.
The city is incredibly if you know where to go.

Meat packing district is great.

How much are the tranny hookers going for these days"

If you want a more realistic idea picture Gotham City more than NYC you see in movies.

>Why do movies lie like that?
Why do you lie?

>>It's disgusting
NYC especially Manhattan - which is where most movies are set in - a sparkling modern city. Gentrification (aka whites moving into formerly black/hispanic neighborhoods) had turned Manhattan virtually White with pockets of ethnic enclaves here-and-there.

>full of poor people
Manhattan isnt filled with poor. As somebody else in this thread said, a month's rent in Manhattan = year's rent in other parts of US. The outer boroughs like Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, etc are where the poor live (and even that isnt true anymore as gentrification has invaded these boroughs also).

You're thinking of Chicago.

Kek butthurt yankee

You visited Manhattan, NYC is way bigger than Manhattan. Lots of it is really poor.

Also Manhattan's population drops significantly over night because people don't live there because it's so expensive.

Not really.

Gotham is basically a darker version of Chicago, not New York. The Dark Knight was even filmed there.

>Darker version of Chicago
Not really. Chicago is darker.

Liberals have largely destroyed north american cities, and now they are working on european cities.

Even as good as new york is now compared to how it was maybe 30 years ago is shit, compared to how it was 100 years ago.

Oh well, we'll call it progress.

Gotham is supposed to represent the shittiest parts of urban america, not just one city.

>NYC
>Poor

The median rent for a 1BR within the 5 boroughs is $2000

New york didn't even exist 100 years ago you バカ

How do these people afford that shit?

>I don't know how statistics work.
Rent is expensive here but you're an idiot if you think this city isn't full of poor people living hand to mouth.

>le liberal boogieman

room-mates and section 8

>New York didn't exist in 1916

what the fuck am I even reading

It really isn't. I know the whole Chiraq meme is really popular, but Chicago isn't all that dangerous compared to most American cities. The high murder count is misleading thanks to the sheer size of Chicago, if you look at the murder rate and crime rate it doesn't come anywhere close to St. Louis, Detroit, New Orleans, or Washington DC. Gotham is meant to be a city on the verge of total collapse where the mob runs completely unchecked, like a fusion of 1920s Chicago with 2008 Detroit.

Unless you meant literally darker, in which case yes, Chicago has a lot more black people than Gotham.

t. triggered Chicagoan

They're all chinks in Chinatown as far as I can tell

you couldn't afford to live in nyc even if you wanted to

New York is older than the United States.

I meant it had more niggers.

Funny thing is Boston is absolutely lovely. I wonder why NYC became so awful and Boston didn't even though they're very similar.

You're an idiot if you don't think there are investors frothing at the mouth to demolish the small pockets of public housing that still exist in areas like Chelsea

>mfw I got hyper-defensive for nothing

>visit tokyo
>it's better than all the movies and anime said
>visit kyoto
>it's better than tokyo

fuck you america

>fuck you america

Why are you mad at us? We basically paid for half the buildings in that city.

What's Baltimore like these days? I've always wanted to visit but I don't know if it's Detroit tier.

Good thing I'm not an idiot, and I have no idea why you think I would think that.

NYC (the five boroughs) is objectively full of broke people.

It was just a prank, bro.

I wish I could afford to live on my own in a nice Manhattan apartmen

It's not as bad as The Wire shows it to be, but it's still not great. Certain areas, like the waterfront promenade, are amazing, like Annapolis but bigger. Other parts of it are shit, and the transition from good to shit happens really quickly, so it's easy to wander somewhere dangerous.

We make more money than you.

Fair enough. I'm a Brit and since I have a distant relative that lives near I've ended up bandwagoning the Ravens and Orioles, for better or worse. I'd like to visit some day.

So what is the nicest city in the US?

Don't we all.
Sheeeit, I'd settle for a nice apartment in LIC.

I just got back from Manhattan last night and I don't understand how people on the internet can possibly hate it. You have to either hate being around other people or just really poor or jealous to hate the city. There's so much to do at all hours of the day.

That being said, most things are expensive as fuck and you have to make like 100k a year to not live like an animal with roommates.

Mission Viejo

Speak for yourself. I fucking hated every moment of it. Then I went to Boston and lived it there.

Some people just prefer a quieter life. I know I do.

>Some people just prefer a quieter life. I know I do.
>Then I went to Boston and lived it there.

Most big cities were pretty shit in until the 90s when crime started dropping
I remember I was visiting my grandparents in DC around '92 and a cop shot a nigger in broad daylight on the pavement across their apartment because he was caught carjacking and had a gun
No, they didn't live in a ghetto, it was about 3 blocks from the Mall

>about 3 blocks from the Mall
capital hill is still a shithole

>go to LA
>it's filled with hipsters, homeless people and Mexicans