Explain to me why music piracy isn't theft

Explain to me why music piracy isn't theft.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HL9-esIM2CY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because I don't care

Like in the days of CDs sure, but pirating digital music isn't actually taking anything from someone, nothing is physical about it.

If record labels actually wanted to prevent it then it wouldn't be so incredibly easy to pirate.

sorry i am not a lawyer i just like listening to music man lol

Theft is taking something away from somebody. Piracy just duplicates the files, nothing is taken. It's still illegal but it's an entirely different type of action, this isn't complicated.

You still take potential earnings away from the artists and labels, by copying files and giving them to others.

"Taking away potential earnings" isn't a thing and even it were it wouldn't make it theft. Stealing is concerned with the nature of the item in question not whether or not the owner profits off of the item in question. If they haven't been deprived of their item then it hasn't been stolen, by definition.

You're taking a product from someone without compensating them for it. Don't be a pedantic ass.

You're getting the product but you're not taking it, they still have it. It's not theft. Words have meaning, I'm sorry if that upsets you but you don't get to rewrite the language just because profits are down. Piracy is already a crime, trying to argue that it's stealing accomplishes nothing other than piggybacking on the emotions people associate with that other form of crime. It's a dumb rhetorical trick and it's not going to work on anyone that knows what things mean.

For the same reason 3D printing yourself cutlery instead of buying them in a store isn't theft either.
Those who distribute their music don't get anything stolen from them, they just lose one potential customer whenever someone pirates their music

Philosophically it can be considered intellectual theft etc. Legally it's copyright infringement which is a civil offense subject to lawsuit.

>opportunity cost isn't a thing
hmmm

Because labels think a 192 kbps download is acceptable when buying vinyl.

Who cares.

Kys, commie.

because i don't believe art should be commodified and the idea of paying for something before i have listened to it is ridiculous. if i like something i'll buy a physical copy after listening to it many times

It is no need to explain. Entitled shits think they have a god given right to not pay though

Which is theft
You
Dumb
Sack
Of
Shit

>"Why shouldn't people get paid for the hard work they do idjsuseowkwishu"
Kill all COMMIES with bats

he's right
he's also right

They're all retards including yourself

mmmmm yes I love playing pretend communist on my IPhone. Such a rare concoction. I look down upon all of thee from thy horse, wondering why you all continually exploit the worker. Mmmmmmm yes indubelyyyyyyyyyy comrades

Instead of worrying what poor people get up to, worry about what the rich and powerful get up to.

>If record labels actually wanted to prevent it then it wouldn't be so incredibly easy to pirate.

what should they do?

Or you could just pay $10 for the fucking CD not like your fat ass isn't doing that bi-weekly with fast food

>music piracy widespread since the early 2000s

>music has been shit since the early 2000s

coincidence?

It's almost like they can't do it for free
Who would've thunk it :0

It is theft for sure, but I don't give a rats arse if some millionare musician doesn't get another fiver from my album purchase. If it's a less famous and still active artist I will buy the album.

Also the development of free streaming services like Spotify make me feel far less guilty about piracy, since the artists get jack shit anyway.

Spotify fucks over the little guy even more way to go dumbass

chance the rapper is an INDEPENDENT ARTIST

guys LISTEN to me chance the rapper has NO RECORD LABEL hes INDEPENDENT

hes INDEPENDENT and IN CONTROL

he's DEFYING THE ODDS AS AN INDEPENDENT ARTIST

i just wish spotify wasn't a huge fucking battery drain on my phone, otherwise i'd use it all the time
until then i'm using youtube apps like Musi

(perhaps i should switch to android?)

He has ties to major record labels (distribution etc) let's not be silly here

I think as long as its shared and not sold its ok. Its as if a friend burned you one of his Cds back in the day

>I think as long as its shared and not sold its ok
So stolen?

Or you could stop being a cuck for the merchants. I rarely eat fast food and I already pay for Spotify and for anything that isn't on Spotify, but nice assumptions, idiot. Who the fuck wants CDs? I don't even have room.

That doesn't make any sense.

I wonder who could be behind this post?

because property isn't real

CD being a genralized euphemism for all music, physical or not, that can be purchased
>le epic joo maymay
Fuck you got me. Also music is cheap as shit, zero excuse not to support the artist and their works that you consume & consume
Then you're a fucking retard

no, it's not, it's piracy.

Which is a sub-genre of theft dumbass

>Because I don't care

Fuck tha police

if you're not taking something that belongs to someone, it's not theft. call me pedantic if you want, but uselessly adding another term to something that doesn't fit that term has no use.

youtube.com/watch?v=HL9-esIM2CY

>Because I don't care

I didn't mention Jews. Are you getting paranoid? Is the risperdal you're taking out of date? I said i purchase music. Music is cheap as shit on Spotify. :)

they should do nothing. quite often they're actually benefiting from the additional exposure that music piracy brings.

keep sucking corporate cock bro, i dont really see what youre getting out of it but oh well

You're stealing their profit dipshit. You have to physically sit at a computer and put in the specific commands to steal their work, in turn, indefinitely depriving their present and future profit

The very idea that a non-material object can be abyone's property is offensive to a sane mind.

what?

Like it matters, you don't get to keep anything once you die anyway, or it breaks eventually.

Merchant is a synomn for Jew
You're buying a subscription to a streaming website, two entirely different things

Are you not able to deal with abstract ideas?

Then why enforce copyright infringement online?

That's right white boy, and what you gonna do about it?

>stealing their profit
good one, retard. last i checked i'm not getting paid for downloading albums.

To steal profit you would have to steal money from them.
i.e., a company makes $50000 profit and you steal $1000, leaving them with $49000

"potential profit" is nothing. by your shitty reasoning everyone who buys a lottery ticket and doesn't win anything has been stolen from.

that's right its worthless, so let people download in peace

Not fully white insecure minoreo
Theft covers stealing you don't actually have to be making the money yourself

no need for the official secrets act then!

Why does it always have to be black and white with you mongoloids? It's clearly not as bad as theft but you're clearly obtaining a service for free instead of paying for it. Can't we just invent a word for it? Like ''pirating'' for example?

So a halfbreed degenerate mmmmmhahahahaha :)

>potential profit is nothing
Tell that to investors LMAO

By making a digital copy of your artwork, you relinquish your rights to it. It's the same thing with people who do digital artwork on the Internet

You can try to get shit taken off the web but it's a losing battle. Shouldn't have invested in a product that can be duplicated infinitely without any loss in quality. That's just common sense

People still make music in spite of pirating, and they always will.

>Shouldn't have invested in a product that can be duplicated infinitely without any loss in quality. That's just common sense
fuck are you talking about there are a ton of revenue streams besides unit sales

So let's recap

1. Musicians aren't losing money from pirated albums because "potential profit" is not theirs to lose
2. Physical copies of music that have actual value (i.e. compact discs) are not being stolen (i.e. actual theft)
3. >implying I would ever, EVER pay for a fucking mp3 LMAO

In conclusion, piracy =/= theft

>yes goy buy $6,000,000 dollars worth of 10 dollar CDs

I'll pass. Buy from artists you like, just download the rest.

Fuck this thread and piracy apologists.

But there's something even worse that's killing business, image piracy. Every time you post an image that you didn't made from scratch you are hurting the wallet of those who work very hard to bring you all the last content.
An example of this is the indie japanese developer ZUN, he and his to-hoes get posted without his permission approximately every 3 minutes on this site, making him lose a revenue every day of $6547056 dollars thanks to pirates that STEAL directly from him.

Only you can help us to bring down Sup Forums and its criminals.

Reminder that these days you can "buy" a lot of albums for $0.

1. Their potential to make monry off the album is lost retard
2. Zero relation to anything a hand
3. Then you are stealing
If you're going to be smug at least don't be stupid as fucking shit

>"What if I combine a really bad red herring with an even worse strawman mmmm yes >:)"

Sup Forums has never been about supporting content creators, go bitch at the sharethread about piracy and see how it goes.

>Their potential to make monry off the album is lost
Ah yes, their "potential" to make money. The theoretical "profit" from the intangible product I was never going to pay for. It's like I took that $0 right out of their pockets.

and then they will stop releasing music
but you will not care because other music is free, right?

If you bought it, that would be actual profit. You are not the entirety of the audience either. How are you this fucking retarded?

that's a big "if." if he wasn't planning on buying it anyway, then what's the loss? what if he listens to it, enjoys it enough to change his mind, and decides to buy it then? is that okay?

The loss of control on the artists part. You're reducing what they made to a low-grade charity at that point and striping any value from aforementioned artists' work