/prog/ rock general

who PROG here lol
what we listening to? anything good out?
hows the new anathema?

Other urls found in this thread:

featherwolftheband.bandcamp.com/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yowie/synchromysticism/
youtube.com/watch?v=-4AhdWGci3c
youtube.com/watch?v=ODtI8ad7PDY
youtube.com/watch?v=x4LfUDV1x5s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Orgasm sounds

wew, this is good shit.

This is prog though

What exactly is prog rock? I love pink floyd but this whole time i just thought they were simply psychedelia lol.

Well Frank Zappa described Prog rock as "Anything that doesn't sound like regular rock"

progressive/art/psychedelic/experimental rock all have the same characteristics and sound. They're synonymous umbrella terms for any rock that isn't the standard verse chorus structure. Dont believe anyone who claims otherwise. Its all up to what the artist would rather call it.

>progressive/art/psychedelic/experimental rock all have the same characteristics and sound

t. someone who's only heard King Crimson and Yes

Currently listening to one of my favorite prog songs of all time

Then Nu-metal is progressive rock as well technically. Limp Bizkit is my favorite progressive rock band.

/fedora/ general?

Genesis is the best prog band of all time tbqhfam

The genre has lost its meaning after 1973 in my opinion. Larks' Tongues in Aspic was the last truly oldschool prog album in the original sense of the word.

*Blocks your path*

Well I mean, he did say that back in the 70s. He was specifically talking about the bands being labelled with Progressive Rock around that time. Specifically saying bands like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis wasn't what he considered Progressive Rock.
I'm sure you're not stupid enough to actually consider Nu-Metal Progressive rock and you actually understand what Zappa was talking about. Hip-Hop doesn't sound like a regular rock? Is that Progressive rock, you moron.

Can post-rock be considered progressive then? I've always thought that bands like Tortoise and Pram would have been labeled as progressive rock if they were around earlier.

Are they prog rock, Sup Forums?

Ive always seen them as much more of a pop rock group idk

I get you but this definition is not very specific by todays standards. Of course I understand that Zappa was refering for a the 70's solely with this statement.

(I was joking with the nu-metal stuff.)

If we put Post-rock against Zappa's broad description, sure. In the 90s it would have sounded pretty different compared to the alternative stuff coming out at the same time.

Progressive Rock - if we go by Zappa description again - is fairly relative and can be applied to any point in Rock's life, the entire point - if any - of Progressive music and Experimental music is to excel the artform forward and push new boundaries, if King Crimson were around now, instead of the 60s I personally don't think they'd be considered Progressive Rock, because of how much Classic prog rock has changed the face of Rock music. So, sure. Post-rock would have been pretty progressive in its time of conception, but now. There's quite a lot of post-rock and it's all starting to sound pretty similar.

>In the 90s it would have sounded pretty different
The first wave of post rock had already existed in the early 90's and it sounded very different from anything else that was around at that time. So if we go by this definition, I'm pretty sure that we can look at the "first wave Post Rock" (see: Tortoise, Stereolab, Moonshake, Pram, Long Fin Killie, Th' Faith Healers) as a new manifestation of progressive rock music. Interesting.

Technically the title of Post-rock is the same though right? I don't know much about Post-rock but the term must have been coined simply because Post-rock music is so disconnected from "rock" music it's basically not even rock music. Meaning, there would be Progressive Post-rock bands.

It is. Evanescence is LITERALLY prog metal with cabaret, emo and alt rock/industrial influences.

"Post-rock" is just prog rock without the context of psychedelia.

what is your guys' prog aoty? i strongly recommend this to anyone who likes mathy prog with a heavy emphasis on melody

featherwolftheband.bandcamp.com/

>Pink Floyd isn't prog because it isn't spork-core circus music

but Sup Forums pretends that prog rock has NOTHING to do with psychedelic rock

got anything that isn't HURR LE METAL tripe?

what should I listen to by Yes after Close to the Edge, Fragile, and the Yes Album?

Relayer

going for the one and time & a word
avoid topographic oceans. its the contrarian pick around here and its godawful

Currently Yowie - Synchromysticism
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yowie/synchromysticism/
But there hasn't been a lot of good Prog this year.

Relayer and Tales from the Topographic Ocean.

does that actually sound like metal to you? i don't hear any metal influence

The original definition of post-rock is extremely vague, it's described as "music that's using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes".
Now that I think about it, I'd say that the main difference between prog- and post-rock is that while progressive rock's philosophy is about trying to expand the boundaries of rock music, post rock is all about deconstructing the formulas and conventions of rock.

>Currently Yowie - Synchromysticism
i love that album. that's actually how i found out about featherwolf. the two are playing a show together in san diego later this summer that i plan on attending.

I hate when they do that. It's because so many people's gateway drug is King Crimson, who deliberately forwent psychedelia whereas their contemporaries (Gong, Caravan, Hawkwind, Yes) all kept one foot firmly planted.

It's all to do with taste. I'm a psych freak so I like it when there's trippy shit but I get the need for the distinction. Progressive music is about challenging traditional functions of pop music. A lot of the psych conventions were considered traditional, hence the divide.

lol?

Genesis

>challenging traditional functions of pop music
huh? that sound an awful lot like the definition for experimental rock....

This is the best prog rock album of all time. Period.

youtube.com/watch?v=-4AhdWGci3c

Prog was experimental. Do people suggest otherwise?

what kind of metal does it sound like to you? the closest thing i can liken it to is mathrock

Relayer
Then Going for the One

seei post this in every prog thread and get these sort of responses. there is so much overlap and similarities that the genre comes down to what the artist wants to call it.

mathrock is wank noodly metal you dumb bitch

>TELL OF THE BIRTH
>TELL HOW WAR APPEARED ON EARTH
Literally try to name a better Prog song that is under 5 minutes long.
Protip: You can't.

CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE MY COUNTRY LIES?

Name a better opener to a prog record.

i'm legitimately curious of how you would define metal because most mathrock sounds nothing like metal imo. metal is almost always played using blues/minor scales and mathrock almost never does. also, there's the question of riffing and striving for a heavy sound

Absolutely, although I would say prog has certain distinctive qualities.

- those harmonized guitar lines
- them motivic sequences
- that jazz sensibility lending itself to extended jams

At least with 70s prog or throwback bands, you just know it the moment you hear it. Difficult to articulate but instantly recognizable.

There's a reason the word "proggy" is used so frequently, though. I would classify Floyd as a psychedelic rock band overall but after Syd's departure they took a decidedly proggy turn, but I just wouldn't call them prog rock.

i listened to this album the other day and it almost made me fall asleep

solid 4

read a book and stop responding to me moran

oh i completely forgot about jazz rock. that and blues rock are the buzzword genres they use to distance dsotm from prog

>stop responding to me moran
okay

if something is proggy then its prog rock. kate bush is proggy and she is labeled as pop rock /art rock. art rock is synonymous with prog rock just without the elitism.

last warning...

Day of the Baphomets is The Mars Volta's best song and that is an objective fact

No

either Bent Knee's Land Animal or glaswegian's severance; the former is pop prog and the latter is instrumental prog a la Oldfield, good shit

wOW I knew prog fans were autistic but you're a whole other breed

I'm not even the other dude, you're just being weird

is land animal as good as say so?

do you need a hug user?

SHUT it

haven't heard Bent Knee's debut, but I'd say Say So is their weakest; so yeah Land Animal is definitely a step up

Shiny Eyed Babies > Land Animal > Say So - but even then Say So is great

Land Animal's closing track 'Boxes' is probably SOTY, it's beautiful

mars volta and bent knee are art rock NOT prog rock. literally two different genres XD

>that and blues rock are the buzzword genres they use to distance dsotm from prog
Ehhh, how so? Blues rock is about as far from prog rock as possible. Blues is actually probably responsible for prog rock as a reaction against the same traditional blues scales being repeated in pop music. Blues was everywhere in the 60s. Prog pushed back against that.

But you're right that bands have always tried to distance themselves from the label. It is kinda an industry word and not something the artists ever really pushed as a genre.

>art rock is synonymous with prog rock just without the elitism.
If by synonymous you mean it departs from the mainstream, then yes - but art rock is an even vaguer umbrella term than prog. Jeez. Any student who ever shit into a 4 track and turned it into an installation piece at uni can call themselves art rock. Prog has a certain set of features.

>XD
are you for real

Confining the term 'Prog rock' to the classic 70's sound is completely hypocritical - you're trying to conserve a genre which is meant to advance and challenge the boundaries and definitions of rock.

The Mars Volta is better than most 70's classic prog bands just for the sole basis of being one of the driving forces of the 21st century prog revival.

seeespecially thisdadprog elitism is real as shit, especially on Sup Forums

These people are no better than 'le wrong generation' kids who think The Beatles are the pinnacle of music just because they were revolutionary

Some of these people just said that prog bands from the 70s are good. not everyone who likes Genesis and Yes are "le wrong generation" fags.

>The Mars Volta is better than most 70's classic prog bands just for the sole basis of being one of the driving forces of the 21st century prog revival.
I'd say "as good" as many 70s classics and their importance to the movement's revival can't be understated.

Fantastic band. Also, distinctly prog while sounding very fresh... but listen to those features:

Harmonized Solos: [x]
Recurrent motovic departures: [x]
Jazzy af: [x]

They've always passed my sniff test and I labeled them prog the first time I listened to "Inertiatic ESP". Just sayin. I don't understand the elitism, either. It's like listening to Run DMC and saying it's not hip-hop.

If we dont go on Zappa's definition then what do we go on.

Pretty sure this is still the prog album of the decade.

wikipedia?

The characteristics of the music itself?

yes they are because old music is in fact
NOT
GOOD.

genres are garbage anyway. albums should be grouped by other albums that they sound similar too along with a list of influences by the artist. thats it.

nah m8

I can't get over Wilson's hypocricy; there are transcripts of him talking smack about 70's revival prog bands like Transatlantic and The Flower Kings (specifically towards Roine Stolt) for stagnating the genre; saying that bands like Radiohead were the real progressives

Then years later comes out with his shameless 70s prog tribute album - it's good, don't get me wrong, but his hypocricy irks me

also pic related is prog album of the decade

>yes they are because old music is in fact
>NOT
>GOOD.
Nigga, just fuck off with this low effort shit.

>hows the new anathema?
Disappointing

Pic related is currently AOTY

New Steven Wilson is probably going to suck

>Because the music is in fact NOT GOOD
seriously? Grow up and let people like what they like.

what? a PROG artist saying that radiohead,etc are prog? you'd think he would know what hes talking about. sigh. what an IDIOT XD

Fair enough.

HCE is much better in my opinion.

That's a lot harder to search for, so it's objectively inferior to genres.

*twang*
*le weed reference*
*long drawn out noodly solo*
man talk about low effort
prog rock SUCKS

youtube.com/watch?v=ODtI8ad7PDY

Anubis is pretty good, didn't they release a new album recently?

Mystery is the superior neo prog band

thats alright but not as good as his previous work with airbag

i think the new steven wilson will be good but just not very proggy
youtube.com/watch?v=x4LfUDV1x5s
this is a GREAT abba inspired pop song

I actually used to feel the same way but then I got out of high school.

Anyone like Leprous here

I don't really like prog metal, but these guys are great, really interested in their new album.

god i hope the next mystery album is a concept album

Is baiting us your Sunday night entertainment or something?

Yeah, wasn't very impressed by it though - it's one of those very on-the-nose concept albums and I don't really dig that

What do you lads think of this? Maybe my aoty so far

New single was pretty lame I thought, giving me doubts - loved The Congregation though

Super mad cos I'm missing them play Damnation Festival on their tour with Agent Fresco - check them out if you dig Leprous and Origin-era Muse

>art rock
not even a fucking genre, neither is anything else labeled art or pop. pop is pop and art is art

so pop cannot be art?

yeah sure buddy you DEFINITELY know what you're talking about

>pop is pop and art is art
explain Pop Tarts then

Can't we all relax and get along?

Already know Agent Fresco, great band

Who Big Big Train here

Really enjoyed their new album, better than Folkore