How does it feel to know that you visit a board that bases a large chunk of its opinions on the ramblings of a...

how does it feel to know that you visit a board that bases a large chunk of its opinions on the ramblings of a pretentious Italian software consultant?

No one actually takes him seriously.

does this guy have any actual credibility?

He has more credibility than any of you faggots will ever have.
oh i forgot u guys suck fantano cuck

that's not true, unfortunately
Fantano is much worse but let's not pretend Scaruffi is good at all

No one takes Fantano seriously, either.

amused, because i'm largely responsible for a huge portion of 8s posting in previous years

You are the biggest memeboi though

Christgau is more respectable than Scaruffi, but neither are anything above decent.

>implying

Serious question: are there any good critics?

Not as far as music critics go, at least ones that are alive.

yourself
but seriously, I'd trust the consensus of most music-related communities over any critic. there's a lot of good stuff in the bolded releases on rym, for example.

the bros from the Penguin Guide To Jazz are pretty cool

who do you prefer instead?

thats not true my guy

no one
just because music critics are a thing it doesn't mean a good one exists

it actually is
and by previous years i mean way back
maybe you think you posted hella 8s
but you don't know about my 8s posting madness

Pretty lame, didn't expect Sup Forums to be so hipster but Sup Forums shattered that swiftly.

why do you think i rarely respect others opinions, even if theyre right?

Wtf u on about nigga? Aside from Trout Mask, Faust, and the Beatles pasta Scaruffi's opinions are mostly irrelevant here. This board is now all pitchfork-approved rap, r&b, and indie trash from the last 5-10 years.

I like going to his site to dig for hidden gems

his opinions themselves are a load of shit though

Scaruffi knows more about music and has better taste than 99.9% of Sup Forums. That was even true before Reddit came. It's a simple fact that a lot of people here just can't deal with.

He has the best database ever created for music. I would suggest using it instead of trying to argue against it.

>"Why are there age limits? why is it illegal to marry a 12-year old?Helen of Troy was 12. Juliet and Cleopatra were still teenagers when they became famous. Most heroines of classic novels and poems were underage by today's laws. Thomas Edison married a 16-year-old. Medical studies show that the best age for a woman to have children is between 15 and 25 (lowest chances of miscarriage, of birth defects and, last but not least, of the woman dying while giving birth); while the worst age is after the mid 30s. And the younger you are, the more likely you are to cement a real friendship with your children; the older you are, the more likely that the "generational gap" will hurt your children's psychology. Therefore it is much more natural to have a child at 16 than at 40. In countless countries of the world women have their first child at a very young age, and stop having children at a relatively young age. Nonetheless, in the USA it is illegal to have sex before 18 (but, note, only if the partner is over 18, which is like saying that it is ok to rob a bank if you are a banker), while it is perfectly legal to get pregnant at 40 or (thanks to medical progress) even at 70"
I'm sorry, but this still comes across as the inner workings of a pedophile's mind.

Lester Bangs

lmao

This

what about Stephen Thomas Erlewine?

if you click on the image he loses his wrinkles

From allmusic? I don't pay attention to the specific reviewers, but I like that site. The reviews are usually nice and short, so they only tell you what you need to know. I think you should only get a brief description from a review so you know whether or not it sounds like your thing, and then "explore" the rest of the album for yourself. Too much explanations muddies up your own experience imo.

If you don't take him seriously how can you take anyone seriously. The guy listens to more music than almost anyone else in the world, and puts in the work to opine on all of it. If you don't respect his volume of work then what the hell do you respect? Only the idiots you agree with?

well a lot of the times his reviews are shit, most people here just hate him cause he trash talked their favorite album or some shit, he's better than fantano though, at least he limits his bullshit to a written medium

Sup Forums obviously

we're all fucking experts here

I trust my opinion more than I do his but that's all taste is. Moreover he's definitely useful in that, if you know what you like, and you can kind of figure out what he likes, and you can kind of figure out what you like that he likes and what you like that he doesn't like, it'll be pretty easy to figure what he likes that you might like. And he's liked so much that there just such a fierce harvest to draw from, as long as you aren't diametrically opposed, which no two serious music listeners are.

There's a helluva lotta good stuff that isn't bolded too.

can you prove him wrong?

I respect Scaruffi's opinion and melon's too but i find myself disagreeing with most of their views.
They're both good and verbalizing their thoughts and opinions but Scaruffi has old man taste and seems to care too much about the context of the record rather than the tracks.

Pitchfork is worse than both however

Did he actually read all the books he wrote philosophy notes on? It's like he wrote the notes based on wikipedia/platostanford and not the actual books.