Joanna Newsom

What's her best album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fby632bPn0E
youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Her ass

I think she's a boring version of Fiona Apple.

Ys is probably her best
Have one on me has the most 10/10 songs
Milk eyed mender is solid
Divers is very underrated (personal favorite)

I knew there was a reason I didn't like her. I couldn't put my finger on it till...GREAT SCOTT

I think shes a boring version of grimes

Grimes is way more melodic, eccentric, dynamic, innovative and has a better voice. Joanna Newsom music for grandmas.

it's the opposite
I wouldn't call either grimes or joanna boring, but I'd certainly call one of them terrible. and it's not joanna.
grimes sucks.

>grimes sucks.
I can't take you seriously anymore

>harp music for God's waiting room

Meanwhile Grimes is synth music for God's dancefloor and then chillout room. It doesn't get better than that.

interesting person. makes interesting music. always curious to hear what her next release sounds like.
would I ever listen to any of her albums again? fuck no

>would I ever listen to any of her albums again? fuck no
Your loss. Her music is really addictive and great if you give a fair chance.

Have One on Me > Ys >> Divers >> MEM

Fiona was before Joanna so it can't be the opposite.

They have nothing in common besides being female singers

kek It's obvious that Joanna tries hard to be the new Fiona Apple, if it wasn't for the harp then their music would be even more similar. Even her music video to Sapokanikan is like Never is a Promise meets Every Single Night. You just can't deny it.

>Joanna tries hard to be the new Fiona Apple
except Fiona is still making music so this doesn't make any sense

Madonna is still making music but that didn't stopped Lady Gaga from trying to be the new Madonna.

sucks that mu can never talk about a female artist again i guess

you know i didn't think it was possible but grimesfags might actually literally kill this board

the fact that at least half of you are trolling doesn't make it better

entirely correct. i personally don't enjoy most of MEM but i can appreciate it.

you're literally only saying that because they're both women

Joanna's singing, instrumentation and songwriting are literally nothing like Fionna Apple's, fuck off

It's obvious that Joanna copies Fiona. You're literally one of Joanna Newsom fags who are gonna kill this board.

>Even her music video to Sapokanikan is like Never is a Promise meets Every Single Night

Paul Thomas Anderson directed that video, and also dated Fiona Apple and directed a few of her videos. That's probably why they're similar you dumbass.

Joanna > Bjork > Grimes > FKA > PJ > Fiona > Angel = Kate > Annie > Tori

This guy's right, you Joanna stans are so dumb. She's clearly stealing from Fiona, I mean just look how similar these songs are!

youtube.com/watch?v=Fby632bPn0E
youtube.com/watch?v=6UUe3Q54qFg

Fiona comes from a a tradition of 90's alt rock, aggressive female singer-songwriters while mixing in jazzy elements to compliment her husky contralto voice all held together by traditional pop song structure and Joanna comes from from the New Weird Americana scene with an Appalachian folk and classical lineage while frequently making meandering extended pieces that use the full range of her light, occasionally harsh soprano vocal range.

I mean they're practically identical!!!

in what way doe she copy anything? please elaborate in as much detail as possible

She wants so bad to be Fiona that she even have the same person directed her video and I don't need to elaborate just because your deaf, seriously.

see the burden of proof lies on the accuser

I'm almost positive you're trolling now, but on the off chance you're actually just mentally handicapped, Paul Thomas Anderson directed her video because he fucking cast her in his film the year prior.

I guess she wants to be Fiona so badly that she went back in time and mind controlled Paul Thomas Anderson into casting her as the narrator/actor in his film in order to get in good with him so that she could ask him to direct one of her music videos later on down the road. Totally makes sense.

>someone's acusing my precious waifu of being a copycat, he must be trolling
and btw. Paul Thomas Anderson didn't directed the music videos of Never Is a Promise and Every Single Night so it was definitely copying.

This thread is worse than anime waifu and kpop bias arguments

Most people say Ys and I respect it because it is pretty close to perfect, but HOOM is just actual perfection. Her arrangements and production are so on point (listen to that FUCKING PERCUSSION) and the lyrics are so engrossing. I think its such a singular statement and reflection of herself that I don't know if she can reach that point again. Divers is pretty damn good though.

Divers is underrated af

Yeah it is, I think its just overlooked because it comes after 2 crazy long and cinematic albums, but it has a lot of great tracks and emotion. Sapokanikan is probably her best short track

this is true

>I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.
--Joanna Newsom

thoughts?

You're trolling (or mentally challenged) because they sound nothing alike and come from two entirely different musical lineages, which I already hinted at here Their production styles are different, their voices are different and the formalist approaches to songwriting are miles apart. I like them both a lot but for entirely different reasons. By saying they're the same you're diminishing both of their talents.

And I never said he directed them, I'm just acknowledging there's a reason for certain stylistic similarities. If you're gonna blame anyone for copycatting, blame him.

Everyone says Ys, but I listened to it and it didn't do much for me at all. And I am a huge Joanna Newsom fan. It just sounded a little boring and too lyrics-based with not enough going on behind them. But I've only listened to it once and I've often changed my opinion drastically after giving an album a second or third listen, so I'll be doing that at some point.

In the meantime I think her masterpiece is MEM.

All of em

...probably Ys

bruh i've got nothing against grimes

but i've got everything against grimesfags

So, are Radiohead trying to be Fiona as well?
I never knew...

Your deaf shall be cruel and unusual!

the one where she talks about sitting on her lovers face after a long workout

i feel the same

Divers is like her most "HONED" effort. It's so finely cut that in many cases she manages to condense the meandering, unwieldy structures of her past work into near-perfect five minute songs.
Nevertheless, I sometimes missed the sheer exuberance of her past records on Divers.

Love both of em. Great to see that there's actually a connection between these fantastic artists.

Have One on Me was criticized heavily for it's length (who releases a triple album in 2010?!) but if you look at it as 3 separate albums, it's a much better experience. That said, I can compare Ys with each side of Have One On Me.I think side A is the best, then comes Ys, then C, then Divers, then B, then MEM.

Maybe one day I'll get "Female Vocalist isn't a genre" tattooed across my forehead

I can get behind this. A lot of the tracks on Divers are growers - Goose Eggs, especially. Still wish she would've gone a different route with Same Old Man, though

Change it to Divers > MEM and I'll take it.

Gotta ask, what makes you put B so low? I always had a hard time thinking of them as separate, esp. given how thematically dependent C is on the other two discs - curious to hear your reasoning

Same Old Man is awesome I never really understood the hate