Why steampunk and cyberpunk are so underused in cinema?

Why steampunk and cyberpunk are so underused in cinema?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-qAREXVUXk
youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE
deadline.com/2016/06/amazon-pilots-guillermo-del-toro-amy-sherman-palladino-matt-charman-1201768003/
youtube.com/watch?v=Sl00LrDVngU
youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they're memes

>steampunk
Yo, you a gamer dude?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-qAREXVUXk

try asking here mate

steampunk is gay as fuck

cyberpunk is pretty coolio

>put cogs and steam guages on shit

SO COOL

I can't even recall any steampunk movies besides Wild Wild West, which I think was a flop

They're expensive and only have a niche audience. I would kill for a Ridley Scott-directed Deus Ex film.

>why is this aesthetic that appeals to a very small nerd demographic not featured more in this medium that needs to appeal to a wide demographic to make money

gee i dunno OP

steampunk is the dumbest thing ever and krogen was alive by some kind of black magic

youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

Cyberpunk peaked and died with The Matrix Trilogy.

It'll make a comeback. Black Mirror has a lot of cyberpunk elements.

Atompunk > Steampunk

Atompunk is the best flavor of retro-futurism.

There's something about steampunk (and also Dr. Who) that in my opinion sucks the dignity out of life. I wish I could audibilize it better, but there it is. I feel about steampunk the same way I feel about fast food. I just think it's disgusting, and if we're really going to be pigs with no standards then why don't we all just kill ourselves.

>Atompunk

So, Fallout?

>steampunk (and also Dr. Who)

Sounds just like "things I don't like" to me user.

Movie was pretty boring, but the visuals were cool.

Because they're genrecrap for fucking teenagers?

Fuck off.

>DIS MOVIE TAKE PLACE HERE SO IT'S EBIIIIIIN

Seriously fuck off

Fallout is technically the post-apocalyptic future OF AN atom-punk future, but yes, it still retains the atom-punk aesthetic. It's just applied to the ruins of former society rather than the current society.

I like Dieselpunk a lot myself.

I thought that was Diesel Punk? Different eras?

Underused and misused. It is like the people who make it just don't get it.

Too expensive.

*Kroenen

There's a lot of overlap between Diesalpunk and Atompunk retro-futurism, and they share many aesthetics.

Deisalpunk is generally based on technology spanning from the end of the WWI and the electrical revolution until after WWII, where internal combustion and sophisticated electrical engineering were the highest class of technological achievement.
Atompunk is generally based off the period in history that stretches between the end of WWII and the end of the Space Age, where atomic power and vacuum-tube based computation where the highest class of technological achievement.

The two are very close, however, and thusly not necessarily 100% distinguishable in all cases.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a good example of both.

>claim to love steampunk
>you in fact love gearpunk
>you wouldn't even know a globe valve from a ball valve
Fuck off.

What about oilpunk?

They're the realm of beardos (my new term for neckbeard please spread Anonymous!)

Cyberpunk is awesome, fuck steampunk.

because steampunk doesn't make sense

That's generally called "Diesalpunk".

Also, Dishonored is closer to Electro-punk/Tesla-punk.

I will never understand why some people get so triggered over the aesthetic of Steampunk even being mentioned.

Not only is it a fun aesthetic, but retro-futurism in general in all its forms is both fun and fascinating, and its something you don't get to see very often in media, especially movies.

If the concept of retro-futurism doesn't at least marginally interest you, or even better, if it makes you mad because you "don't get it", it's probably because you're a simpleton that has zero interest or knowledge in history, technology or how the two affect each other. Or you just completely lack imagination.

>Diesalpunk and Atompunk retro-futurism

I love both, and it's a shame that they've both been really underused in film. I'm hoping their recent popularity in video games may help translate to other forms of media.

Because it's usually too contrived, twee and associated with fedoras.

I love cyberpunk, but feel it's going through an identity crisis which has led to its somewhat decline as a subgenre.

1) It really was a product of the sense of mid 1980s decline - ie decaying infrastructure, war on drugs, aids, ect: there was a general feeling of pessimism within society that drove a lot of really cool dystopian art that really doesn't exist anymore.

2) Tech has kind of caught up to the genre. VR units are now affordable(ish) and available for mass consumption. Augmented reality games like Pokemon go are being played by everyone and their grandmother. So to still be 'sci fi' cyberpunks going to need to take another step forward.

Isn't that a Sam Hyde quote?

I think they're aesthetics that are hard for a lot of people to take seriously

>Here's why my interest in some pulp genre is so profound.

I shouldn't judge given my hard on for Space Opera.

This.

Also The Man in the High Castle has done a lot to introduce average audience-members not only to the concept of Alternate History, but the concept of Diesalpunk and Atompunk-influenced Science-Fiction technology.

Is there a reason all of these subgenres end with punk or what? It makes sense with cyberpunk because there it's about lower class citizens rebelling against evil corporate scum playing at controlling the world. I find it hard to believe steampunk, dieselpunk, atompunk, electropunk whateverthefuckpunk all share these themes. Why is there so much goddamn punk?

fook ye

youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE

You have to be one kind of deeply insecure nobody to base what you like simply on the opinions of others. It's like you have no personality of your own. "X group likes this thing, so I can't like it!" Why choose to live as a shadow, and not a person?

It's a naming-convention.

Thank the authors of the 1970's and 1980's.

If it were up to me though, we'd do away with it.
The terms would be "Steam-tech", "Atom-tech", "Diesel-tech", "Renaissance-tech", etc. instead of "punk".

>tfw no adaptation of The Difference Engine that explores Man's quest to rid himself of work through technology causing fast changes in society

This whole post was contrived, twee and fedora.

>Also The Man in the High Castle has done a lot to introduce average audience-members not only to the concept of Alternate History, but the concept of Diesalpunk and Atompunk-influenced Science-Fiction technology.

That's a good point - and I see that (hopefully) leading to other projects. Especially since Hollywood seems to love its groupthink.

THere were talks of a bioshock film, but that seems to have stopped development

That makes more sense. Maybe we should just start calling them that all the time and hope people will catch on.

It's because it's a "nerdy" subject.

I will never understand why people would go to Sup Forums of all places and then desperately try to prove that they AREN'T a nerd.

I FUCKING LOVE MONOWHEELS

I don't really care because the opinions of a zero don't have any effect on me, but I'm just hoping you crawl out of that hole you've dug for yourself someday.

Expensive SFX and a small niche market, I'd assume a successful steampunk theme film will have to largely depend on its narrative content, characters, and execution to see it succeed in the market. Borderline, it just needs a pretty damn good story and all the stars have to align, a miracle I guess.

come on its fun

It's dumb?

They don't share those themes. They only call them "punk" because that's what cyberpunk is called.

>not liking rockpunk

I don't think there's anything more fedora or neckbeard than arbitrarily hating a subgenre just because it's fun and you want to style yourself as some kind of edgy contrarian outsider for not liking it.

because they're 80ies/early 90ies genres that normal people don't give a shit about. it would be commerical suicide to make a steampunk or cyberpunk flick. Studio executives like to keep their comfy jobs.

Everyone ITT, just killyourselves

Aww, did poor baby cwinge because he can't handle the outside world?

>Cyberpunk peaked and died with The Matrix Trilogy.
>It'll make a comeback.

why would something that's outdated now make a comeback when it's even more outdated?

>John McNewfag discovers Sup Forums has boards besides Sup Forums

Is there a name for a retro-futuristic aesthetic that's based off technology of the 1980's, i.e. what is generally considered the "Computer Age" that came between the Space Age and the Information Age?

If not, I want to coin it.

I want to make a fictional universe that sort of has a Cyberpunkish 1980's sci-fi feel to it, but all their technology is based on retrofuturistically advanced tech from the 1980's.

Devices that allow global instantaneous communication, but they're shaped like the brick-style cellphones of the era.
Immersive VR exists, but the virtual-world looks like aged 1980's special-effects, always looking like something out of TRON or Automan.
Highly advanced computers exist, but their displays are limited in color and in resolution to resemble 1980's computers, so you have artificially intelligent computer networks and navigation-systems of spaceships that use monochrome displays, vector-graphics and often lack GUI's.

Has this ever been done before?
If not, the genre needs a name.

nostalgia

Burtal

>TRON remake
>Kung-Fury
>season 2 of Stranger Things

Flintstones is premier Rockpunk.

>cyberpunk
>outdated
Well now you're just being nonsensical.

Great contribution to the conversation, retard.

Del Toro's producing a Victorian steampunk fantasy series for Amazon if it makes you feel better

deadline.com/2016/06/amazon-pilots-guillermo-del-toro-amy-sherman-palladino-matt-charman-1201768003/

>why would something that's outdated now make a comeback when it's even more outdated?

Because we are currently going through an 80's renaissance, and Cyberpunk is one of the many things born of the 80's.

>cyperpunk is outdated

sorta, it wouldn't have that 80s feel that Neuromancer or Blade Runner bring

but we're basically at the start of a cyperpunk future reality right now, the concepts are hardly outdated. We're barely scratching the surface of bio-mods, cybernetic implants/limbs, A.I etc

Neo-80s Retro-futurism.

It's called "sci fi movies from the 80s and 90s"

>today on things I don't like for no real reason other than to be a salty hater.

It's too close to us technologically. 80s retrofuturism if often just called "the real world"

Thats just called "the 1980's". The Metal Gear games are a lot like this if your looking for something though.

Steampunk is like the gayest "subculture"

Taco produces a lot of crap

Shadowrun

Because steampunk has consistently been the most shallow and uninteresting one with its concepts whilst simultaneously gaining the greatest mass appeal and most products out of all the -punk genres. Maybe it could be cool, but most of what you see from steampunk is just a bunch of wacky gadgets (or completely normal gadgets) with cogwheels randomly glued on to them with some steam machines here and there. The steam machines probably have a bunch of random cogwheels littered around their outsides too. Furthermore they just usually don't have good stories in them either. It's easy to think of the greats of cyberpunk. Steampunk? Well I sure don't fucking know. All I can think of are the bad ones, like Wild Wild West, or Steamboy (yeah it had great animation but the story was shit).

Cyberpunk is often thought provoking and interesting almost by default just due to the nature of the setting. It makes us wonder about the future of mankind. The dark and gloomy atmosphere probably resonates with a lot of people on a deeper / emotional level as well. Meanwhile steampunk is just a wacky fantasy setting. Not that everything has to be deep and thought provoking, I'd welcome a fun steampunk movie as long as it was well made, but I'm sure you can see why one would be taken more seriously than the other. And I'm not sure if it counts but I did like the Hellboy movies, those were at least partially steampunk. So really, someone just needs to make a good example of it already.

Cyberpunk is an actual sci-fi subgenre with its own themes

Steampunk is just a retro-future aesthetic and there's no real good reason why it has "-punk" in the name

Everything else "-punk" is just made up nonsense

>Emergency brake.
>Keep rolling.

Forgive the music, but here's a cool concept of it in cinematic form. With the right story it can go somewhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sl00LrDVngU

Obsolete genres.

>steampunk
Because it's shit
>cyberpunk
Because it's hard to do right

Not to mention cyperpunk is based in the very real reality that is coming.

Steampunk tech is largely impossible, whereas cyberpunk tech is absolutely possible but we just aren't there yet

which now means you too

Allright Sup Forums, which is your personal favorite?
How popular it is and how much/little content it has is irrelevant.

>Renaisance-punk
>Clock-punk
>Steam-punk
>Electro-punk/Tesla-punk
>Coal-punk
>Diesel-punk
>Atom-punk
>Jet/Space-punk
>80's Cyberpunk

>Steampunk tech is largely impossible, whereas cyberpunk tech is absolutely possible but we just aren't there yet

Why are people not getting that this is PART of the appeal of Steampunk?

Into the Badlands is a weird mash up of dieselpunk, 19th century Southern United States, Chinese wuxia, and American westerns - love it.

steampunk can look good if it isn't overdone

>tfw steampunkfags just add random gears onto shit

>Atompunk
So, Stalker ?

ok?

Its fun for cosplay and stuff but dont expect anyone to take it seriously as a story telling genre if one of its main elements is "ITS NOT BELIEVABLE IN THE LEAST"

what is this, Occultpunk?

the Southern Plantation setting + swordfighting is definitely cool

>dont expect anyone to take it seriously as a story telling genre if one of its main elements is "ITS NOT BELIEVABLE IN THE LEAST"

you say this in a world where Lord of the Rings has won best picture

Here's a second example, but from old game, it's a cross between steampunk and medieval fantasy, swords replace the steamguage guns in its world.

youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU

Stalker isn't anything punk. It's a weird isolated place in an otherwise normal modern day world.

>dont expect anyone to take it seriously as a story telling genre if one of its main elements is "ITS NOT BELIEVABLE IN THE LEAST"

Yes, that's why Lord of the Rings and Narnia and Star Wars are considered irrelevant media that never influenced anything in fiction or achieved any fame in the mainstream.
Because fiction is ONLY relevant if it presents a possible outgrowth of reality from the present day.