/swg/ - Screenwriting General

I ain't necessarily sayin' it's a screenwriting general, but it's a screenwriting general.

----

>Screenwriting Resources

>> SimplyScripts
simplyscripts.com/WR_resource.html

>> The Internet Movie Script Database (IMSDb)
www.imsdb.com

>> Writer's Store
writersstore.com/

----

>Free screenwriting software

>> Trelby (Windows & Linux, FOSS)
trelby.org/

>> Adobe Story (Web)
story.adobe.com/

>> Amazon Storywriter (Web)
storywriter.amazon.com/

>> WriterDuet (Web)
writerduet.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lElhyw3WGxo
fountain.io/
quora.com/How-do-you-pitch-an-original-series-to-Yahoo-Netflix-Amazon-or-Hulu
indiewire.com/2015/04/how-to-sell-a-tv-show-to-netflix-63562/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When is Final Draft 10 coming out?

Come on, man, we have a format now. Do you hate the filmmaking side so much that you find it necessary to make threads just for screenwriting?

just use notepad lmao

Technically, you can actually do that. Fountain is a markup language for scripts that you can write in any text editor.

youtube.com/watch?v=lElhyw3WGxo

fountain.io/

Limited-time offer: post any interesting historical facts, plots, titles, phrases, or other ideas and I will offer free critique.

>killing off /fmg/
I can't complain, I didn't make a thread myself
Whatever, I'm gonna pretend this is /fsg/
What's everyone working on?

I'm waiting 3 weeks before I can shoot my final scene and finish my short

I saw the writer's store once. I wanted to go in but was on a work trip and was not allowed to stop.

Is there any piece of organizational software which functions like Boswell? I use Scrivener but it's just not the same.

Just wait or make a new fucking thread.

>All these excuses not to write

kek, keep it up ladies.

Sorry. Make a new thread and link to it here. I don't know if Sup Forums allows OPs to delete threads, though.

>/fmg/ + /swg/
>/fsg/

Screenwriting is filmmaking. Just /fmg/ will work.

How can I get in touch with Netflix or HBO to pitch my show?

quora.com/How-do-you-pitch-an-original-series-to-Yahoo-Netflix-Amazon-or-Hulu

indiewire.com/2015/04/how-to-sell-a-tv-show-to-netflix-63562/

I actively use Boswell, I just hate that I have to use 10 gigs of space for a 10.6 VM for a single program.

>knock on their door or get an agent

I can't do either of these things because I don't live in US. I'm looking for a away around it.
I've tried contacting producers but they never answer, because apparently it is illegal.

Doesn't your country have a film industry?

I made a new thread.

Gather together your best work, apply for a passport if you haven't got one already, then travel to Los Angeles for a week to knock on doors and talk to agents and (if you're clever) producers. The trip can cost less than $3,000 with proper planning. The fact that you will have to pay should motivate you to make something happen, so that's even a bonus. Good luck user and enjoy your trip to the United States.

Let me put it this way. I live in a third world shit hole.

It would actually cost a lot more than that and I don't have this kind of money right now. Maybe next year, thanks though.

I live in California and am willing to pitch your ideas to producers for free, just post the relevant documents here

Make sure the first pages of your screenplay are great. Then, make sure you have ANOTHER screenplay of equal quality, because sometimes they don't like the first idea, but might like you as a writer.

Essentially just keep writing. I'd suggest doing contests and stuff online to start with. No one just flies to LA and gets their show made.

I did.

On a /fmg/ (Filmmaker General?) about a week ago, I mentioned that I was given the opportunity to write a script treatment for a producer to make a low-budget film. I turned it in, guy LOVED it, and it's being produced soon. I had to sign a NDA and I can't be involved in production/post because of union bullshit, but I got paid and I have been told I can distribute copies, clips, stills, and whatever once they've finished. Weird rules, but I dig it.

Some tips I've learned from this experience:

(1) There are no rules. There are general guidelines, parameters, and templates you should follow, but the specific, ridiculous bullshit that I learned in film school? Nope. Not even a thing. You write to please the person who can give you a job. Not the person who taught you in college.

(2) ACTIVE VOICE for treatments, doesn't matter for screenplays. "He opens a laptop" is different from "He is opening a laptop." Always present tense, though. Never past tense (except in dialogue).

(3) This is not a novel. This is is a screenplay. Using pretty prose language is never necessary. In a novel, sure "The rapturous, spellbinding landscape of the billowing ocean waves cascaded against the whatever-whatever-whatever" is appropriate. In a screenplay, "The oceans waves crash." is more than enough.

(4) Finally, outline everything before your first "FADE IN." It'll keep you organized and on track.

That's all I learned from this process of "professional" screenwriting. Before, I was only writing for either productions I, myself, would be creating or friends. This was a completely different ballgame.

Also, word of advice - Celtx is free and awesome.

Good luck, and happy writing.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you bro
Kinda jealous but at the same time, I don''t know how I'd feel if I wrote a script treatment that was made into a film and I received no credit
Still, congrats

What the fuck are you on about

Thanks so much for this.

If this post is legit, then thank you.

>(3) This is not a novel. This is is a screenplay. Using pretty prose language is never necessary. In a novel, sure "The rapturous, spellbinding landscape of the billowing ocean waves cascaded against the whatever-whatever-whatever" is appropriate. In a screenplay, "The oceans waves crash." is more than enough.

Absolutely this, it's up to the director to interpret those details, which is why I want to direct as well.

No, this is wrong. The screenplays I've learned the most from were the most descriptive. It should be a novel. Directors do nothing.

And this is why nothing you ever make will have any artistic merit

this