What happened to angsty music? Why is this generation so sensitive and limp-wristed?

What happened to angsty music? Why is this generation so sensitive and limp-wristed?
In the 60s, there was the hippie movement.
In the 70s, there was punk rock.
In the 80s, there was heavy metal.
In the 90s, there was grunge and alternative shit like Sonic Youth.
In the 00s, as shitty as it was, there was stuff like Linkin Park and all of those MySpace scenecore bands.
Now, what do we have? Halsey? Top 40 artists wearing flower crowns and singing about not muh president? Will there ever be another edgy mainstream musical movement?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XtW6HW8jO_U
youtube.com/watch?v=bRCwe7J_4YE
youtube.com/watch?v=azmC-g4eiC4
youtube.com/watch?v=RTMbOVq07iE
youtube.com/watch?v=CEnmN_lzkn0
youtube.com/watch?v=kkGb-wCfWmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Trap is about as edgy as you're gonna get with current mainstream music

deaf graps and odd future got pretty big

>What happened to angsty music?
its still here bud
youtube.com/watch?v=XtW6HW8jO_U

and the idiots just pretend to care or just don't.

>What happened to angsty music? Why is this generation so sensitive and limp-wristed?
Society has changed OP. Masculinity no longer inspires males; instead, it scares them, makes them feel inferior, and makes them curl up into a ball and bitch on Twitter. This is proof for anyone who doubted the real motive behind the latest feminist movement wave.

magazines are running out of money

>deaf grapes is big
LOL get off the the computer buddy and go socialize.

> odd future

i'll give you that one.

>n the 90s, there was grunge and alternative shit like Sonic Youth.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
SONIC YOUTH WASN;T ANGSTY

Millennials were raised to be good little boys and girls. So there's nothing to really be angsty about.

It seems like the real protest music is pop now.
This whole "resist Trump" antifa thing is so corporate that it hurts. It doesn't feel like an organic protest movement if its orchestrated by the mainstream media and other billionaires, like Soros.

>HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
SONIC YOUTH WASN;T ANGSTY.
i remember not liking sonic youth when i was a kid.

>Odd Future
>Angsty
>Edgy

lmao. Odd Future were literally rap for white suburban kids with rich parents.

sonic youth is good. but nothing abt them was angsty. it was just them trying to hard to be cool.

With XXX and all those soundcloud rappers lately.
I feel like Gen Z's music is gonna be similar to Gen X. just full of angst.
especially considering most Gen-Xers are parents of Gen Z. So considering that they grew up on grunge & hardcore hip-hop and stuff like that.

those aren't mutually exclusive

youtube.com/watch?v=bRCwe7J_4YE
Herd

>ywn see kim's tits live back in the 90s.

George Soros funds it and it was created by homosexuals. Shit sounds strange to me. Funding people to burn their own cities while promoting the gay agenda...and dumb liberals eat this shit up

>Shaking Hell isn't edgy or angsty

its not.
they literally had a band where they did covers of pop songs
youtube.com/watch?v=azmC-g4eiC4

>SONIC YOUTH WASN;T ANGSTY
"hey kool thing, come over here. there's something I wanna ask you."
"yeah, tell 'em about it"
"I mean, what are you gonna do to liberate us girls from male, white, corporate oppression?"
"hit 'em where it hurts!"

not angsty. okay.

thats not angsty at all jfc. you must live a sheltered life if you think thats angsty.

here's some angsty stuff kid
youtube.com/watch?v=RTMbOVq07iE

Yeah George Soros is giving me money, but he's not paying me enough to promote homosexual genderfluid islamic gommunism.

>thats not angsty at all jfc. you must live a sheltered life if you think thats angsty.

you're so fucking hardcore.

Dude you do realise that DG are actually pretty big amongst music fans right? Like, it's not just super secret exclusive Sup Forums club that likes them. A lot of people come here and a lot of people also watch Fantano/go on Reddit/read P4K. If you're trying at all to keep up with current indie/underground music, you run into DG at some point.

here's another one
youtube.com/watch?v=CEnmN_lzkn0

>Proceeds to put on noise lol

and another
youtube.com/watch?v=kkGb-wCfWmk
listen to all of it

Damm that's good user

Soundcloud rap is unfortunately the most actual punk thing in music at the moment.

hippie wasn't aggressive
you have me there with punk
heavy metal wasn't really that aggressive either really
again you have me there
now we have trap

>What happened to angsty music? Why is this generation so sensitive and limp-wristed?
>In the 60s, there was the hippie movement.
Not angsty but wholly idealistic
>In the 70s, there was punk rock.
>In the 80s, there was heavy metal.
>In the 90s, there was grunge and alternative shit like Sonic Youth.
They were riding the grunge wave Seattle bands have done before
>In the 00s, as shitty as it was, there was stuff like Linkin Park and all of those MySpace scenecore bands.
These guys were corporate
>Now, what do we have? Halsey? Top 40 artists wearing flower crowns and singing about not muh president? Will there ever be another edgy mainstream musical movement?
Edgy and mainstream are counterintuitive. To be mainstream you have to be conforming. Halsey isn't considered edgy by anyone except her diehard fans. Being against the president will always be edgy.

I hate when people use "counterintuitive" wrong, even more than "literally"

>people still fall for lazy "le wrong generation" bait

come on, guys

>metal
>not aggressive
listen to Death Strike's 1985 demo and tell me that's not aggressive

Making music for white teenage suburban kids is the exact demographic that requires angsty song writing.

you can't deny that certain generations of kids have had an easier time than other generations in the past and that this makes certain generations more lazy and entitled

i think most people are tired of angsty music. how about something new op?

seriously, whats the deal where you have to be yelling or screaming to be angsty and emotional, sometimes i feel like most of you have the emotional intelligence of a middle-schooler

You should use a different word than angsty then, it makes you sound like you're rebelling against your dad.

A large percentage of people have just moved on from aligning themselves with corporate numale fuel and "assigned" ways to exist around women. Albeit, you still see some acting in that vein through Twitter fads and posts like yours.

Here's a hint: You incorrectly equate numaleism with femininity, when, like masculinity, it's the same programmed male way of "existing" around women as numaleism. There's no such things as "isolationalist masculinity". Especially not in the context of the genres and fads you listed out that were created as a "rebellious" means of maintaining status quo.

Forgot to add: numales and masc males exist on a spectrum, not a hierarchy involving "escaping" from femininity.

>especially considering most Gen-Xers are parents of Gen Z. So considering that they grew up on grunge & hardcore hip-hop and stuff like that.

>14 year olds today listening to grunge and hardcore hip-hop
No.

>2000 and whatever
>masculinity
>femininity
you realize these are like universal things and are at best descriptions of cultural norms present within our society, and only useful as stimulative definitions at best. The idea that people still waste time ponder this stuff blows my mind, like what makes someone masculine, strength, facial hair, take-charge attitude? Seems shallow and stupid, maybe people should just do what they want to.

Millenials aren't hard enough to do anything like Judas Priest or Black Flag.

Hardstyle

In a similar veign, speedcore esp. Splitter and Terror

t.gated community johnny

what does this even mean

Wow, this sub just never ceases to amaze me. This just might be the worst post yet. Is this supposed to be funny? Because it just isn’t. How can you honestly sit there and tell me music hasn’t been going downhill since Queen (RIP Freddy Mercury). Do you even know what real music is? All this shit about mom’s lasagna and ladybugs is just complete and utter garbage. You hear songs from the 60s and 70s that are still so iconic they are featured all the time. Today’s music just doesn’t have that staying power. It is just formulaic filth that panders to whatever today’s youth is into. You think you can honestly sit there and tell me people will still be listening to Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj 30 years from now? Yeah fucking right. You still hear we are the champions by queen at every single sporting even in the world. No song made today will last anywhere close to that long. And where’s the emotion? Where’s the feeling? Back in my day artists actually put thought into what they wrote. And that’s just it. Today’s artists don’t even write their own songs anymore. They get some guy with a degree in bullshit who makes money engineering these meaningless but catchy songs that rake in millions only because the record companies are forcing radio stations to play them every ten seconds to get them stuck in people’s heads so that is all they can think of. This simply didn’t happen in the 70s. People made songs based on how they were feeling. And guess what, their music also had impacts on what was going on in the world. You guys have probably never heard of him, but there was this indie guy named John Lennon who wrote a song about imagining the world without any violence. Now that’s the type of stuff we need in today’s music. Something to inspire the youth to do something good. That’s why kids are always getting in so much trouble now. The music is telling them to fuck everything that moves and beat the shit out of each other. So they do it. No questions asked

i dont even have a house man but if youre saying where i live is white as fuck then youd be right

Lil' Peep, Bones, Suicide Boys, etc

soundcloud rap is infiltrating Eastern Europe and those kids are textbook angsty

>>soundcloud rap is infiltrating Eastern Europe
as if they didn't have it shitty enough

Counterintuitive means counter to what is intuitively expected. Thats used right in the sense that being edgy is counterintuitive to being mainstream. You can't be both edgy and mainstream it doesn't work like that. So get the fuck out of here faggot I used it right

>complains about nu-males
>posts and anime pic

oh boy

I'm not cis male.