youtube.com/watch?v=j_ao55PNtac
youtube.com/watch?v=1eSblXoe8nI
dropbox.com/sh/lb8draki31379az/1LZ5ULT7Op
simplyscripts.com/movie-scripts.html
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r6FbKZ
fadeinpro.com/
fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=comparison
fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=download
fadeinpro.com/kb/content/1/51/en/importing-microsoft-windows-documents-to-fade-in.html?highlight=rtf
vimeo.com/179203602
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm staying in /swg/ because I don't think directors actually do anything and writing is the only important aspect of film but here's a bump for your efforts. I hope you make a great film someday.

Well, screenwriting is filmmaking and directors aren't the only ones involved in the filmmaking process. Video editors, sound editors, VFX artists, sound engineers, etc... all welcome here.

I can only write my outlines backwards?
>Thnx 4 list

>I don't think directors actually do anything

If you remain this ignorant about filmmaking, your writing will suffer.

I'm working on a short film about a group of friends who decide to become drug dealers after their friend, who had wanted to become a drug lord, dies. My friend came up with the idea and I wrote an entire script for it, but we threw it out on the first day of filming because no one learned their lines.

I'm editing it as I go, it's turning out to be more YouTube quality than indie short film quality, but whatever. I'm just trying to have fun and gain some experience.

(you)
nice b8

You didn't have script read-throughs before filming?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read-through

youtube.com/watch?v=j_ao55PNtac

youtube.com/watch?v=1eSblXoe8nI

Nope, never. Table reads are pretty gay.

>I'm just trying to have fun and gain some experience.

You sure are.

and probably that's why it didn't work.

Seriously, table reads are standard industry practice. It's to get the cast more familiar with the script so they have an easier time remembering and performing their lines.

>Screenwriting Software
Why can't you do it word or something?

Because it's a pain in the neck to work with for screenplays and because of that producers won't accept it.

filmmakeriq.com

I want to buy/build (doesn't matter) a video editing set up, with a budget of about $2,000.

I'll be editing 4K video with it. I don't have experience with higher-end machines, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend brands or packaged deals that include the software (Final Cut, or Premier).

I don't know what's the low-end but I uses 6700K processor, maybe a good GPU and 32GB of good quality RAM for 2160p editing, that's already gonna bump you close to 2000 since you will need a fitting motherboard for DDR4 and Skylake and hard drives since UHD takes space.

but I've no experience with the minimum specs for editing, always had good gear.

I can invest more, but I was hoping to go low end so I can get higher-end on the camera and start purchasing other equipment right away-- and at least get my feet off the ground. I guess I'm being too impatient, though.

Can anyone recommend some good scripts from good movies to read?

It's pretty hard to go low with 4K. You will probably want a monitor with native 2160p resolution too so you can have 1:1 pixels..

can't go cheap I fear..

dropbox.com/sh/lb8draki31379az/1LZ5ULT7Op

simplyscripts.com/movie-scripts.html

check these out, you should find a couple

where can i get a filmmaking gf

>word
Why can't you use pen and paper or something?

the easiest way to save money on that project is to discard buying the software you can pirate instead. Fuck paying $700 for Adobe stuff, especially when you're on a budget.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r6FbKZ

Okay, so I just threw this together. What is a build like this missing, if you don't mind sharing some more advice?

Because it's 2016

So you saw that tom hardy thread yesterday too?

Cause of the formatting of the script is better in a screenwriting program. It makes the process go quicker.

I have Adobe Creative Cloud. $50 bucks a month to get all of the programs. Premiere is my go to. I have edited and colored my shorts in Premiere Pro. Adobe is basically getting rid of Speedgrade.

Not too familiar with After Effects. Have no use for them in my shorts.

On a film set but most of them are ugly and work in Hair/Make Up, costumes, or are Script Supervisor.

Yeah, I've looked in to that. Is there any obligation to stay subscribed or can I say, subscribe for one month and end the subscription there for $50 as if it were just a rental? I know there will be months where I won't need it actively, and would prefer to save up workloads to get them all finished during a 30 day period.

If there isn't a one month deal just get a prepaid credit card and sign up with it

Studio filmfag here. I wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy. If you want to work in Hollywood, contact some people that do the job you want to do and ask them if they had it to do over again, if they would.

A very few people make a lot of money. Most just do OK.

>I'm getting paid for 5 weeks to do 3 days worth of work
That's the exception, user. Usually it's blood money every minute you work.

It lacks a 2160p monitor for editing. You probably want over 30" to be honest.

Dell 27" P2715Q 4K is something to take a look at or cheaper one like Asus 28" PB287Q over your Asus since you'll want the pixel ratio to be 1:1 for editing.

If you really want to burn money then a 4k Ultrasharp, but that's a lot of money for a monitor (my friend has one and it is gorgeous to look at)

For a 6700k you'll probably want something bigger than that CM air, I use Corsair Hydro H100i myself, but I'm not exactly sure if that fits in the case you have. Any of the big Noctua air coolers like NH-D15 (or similar from other manufacturers) is worth a look over that CM.

The faster SSD the better - the new m2 NVME disks are great for editing for example like 950 PRO SSD. 850 is fine, but there's a good enough visible difference in day-to-day use especially if you edit 2160p videos to go for the m2 disks.

Don't fall into 'external' hard drive memes, just buy an internal, regular hard drive and a hard drive dock station if you need to move around, cheaper/better alternative since you can buy hard drive dock with two hard drive slots etc..

I wouldn't use 7 over 10 desu, but I do have Enterprise version of 10 which I consider quite good, I've also heard the horror stories of 10s Home or Pro versions so.. idk.

I'm sure you can edit videos with that rig you have made out, but if I were you I'd try to squeeze in the 2160p monitor from Asus (or Dell if you have money) and then a bigger cooler for 6700k (you can overclock it and that's when that CM probably starts struggling) and then consider M2 disk.

Cinematographer here, ask me any technical questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I edit videos to streaming sites, they can show them in 2160p 60fps.

4K, or at least UHD capture is useful in post, especially on small productions where time is a problem because you can make small framing mistakes and fix them without losing quality. This isn't to say you should treat it the way Fincher does and not bother framing, but if the boom drops in for a second on your favourite take, it's great to be able to zoom that in 3% and save it.

As far as exporting goes, useless for now.

>limited lifespan
Yeah I'm sorry if some dude 50 years from now has issues with it when it's already in the internet and/or in my wd reds

the costume artist on the film I was on was hot af
but my actual gf helps me with all my filmmaking shit as far as she can (which isn't much but it's the sentiment)

bro deleting your posts does nothing due to archives

Really? I use a special template on Word that I use for screenwriting because Final Draft makes my computer freeze. I guess I could always copy it over into a program though.

Use Trelby, it's free, light and does all the essential stuff without bloated useless gimmicks. It can output to pdf or Final Draft file too.
Otherwise just learn to use Foutain.
Just please drop Word, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Why is it more trouble than it's worth?

Conversion issues.
Look I'm not trying to convert you, use whatever you want, but you do need a specific format for scripts and it's pointless to do extra work to format something that can be done effortlessly in dedicated software. I've used Word but it's just pointless.

Thanks for all of the help. I've built up a cart on newegg and it looks like I'll be shelling out about $3,000 all told. I upgraded the monitor, SSD, and cooler to meet those specifications. I'll have to hold off on purchasing them until I can make a trip to a lower-taxed province just to save the extra bit of cash (every bit counts right now), but I think I've got a lot better grasp on things now.

Try Fade In. It was used to write Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, The Huntsman: Winter's War, and more.

fadeinpro.com/

I really suggest to get +30" 2160p, 2160p on lower resolutions, especially with Windows just frankly looks really fucking bad

Does that program support double dialogue?
Also can you please check if it accepts special characters (like É Á Ã Ó Ç etc) in headers and descriptions?

Trelby doesn't support double dialogue and Final Draft doesn't support special characters so I'm not pleased with either of them.

2160p on lower physical dimensions*

like 24, 27 etc.

it's not very good looking and usually those panels are pretty low quality.

>Does that program support double dialogue?
Yes.

>Also can you please check if it accepts special characters (like É Á Ã Ó Ç etc) in headers and descriptions?

Unicode is supported.

fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=comparison

I'll give Trelby or Fade In a try someday, thanks.

Hopefully they let me copy my shit from Word into those programs or let me import it or something. But if not, oh well.

You can try the free demo here.

fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=download

The only limitations are that it has a popup every so often, and prints and PDF exports are watermarked.

You can try exporting them as RTF and importing them into Fade In.

fadeinpro.com/kb/content/1/51/en/importing-microsoft-windows-documents-to-fade-in.html?highlight=rtf

Its a good model than people give credit for because you're not doing some big one time deposit but paying for the programs over time (each basically valued over a grand).

Thanks for the info bros. I'm actually very impressed, this looks really good.

SAND BOYS

vimeo.com/179203602

1 man crew inc acting role
$100 budget

>20minutes
Yeah, I ain't watching that shit

then dont ;)

You don't watch films that are 6-7 times that long?

Yeah, but they're made by professionals
Not kids on Sup Forums with a self-admitted $100 budget

seems to me like you're judging something before you've seen it, bud
second short ive ever made. first one i made on my own for $50. it was accepted into 8 festivals including 2 major, and won two awards.
could you link me your work?

I am indeed doing that
Why should you expect someone who's never heard of you to spend 20 minutes of their time watching your film? Until that post, I had no reason to think it would be anything close to decent, you gave no examples of praise
I've seen several short films that were cack. So why should I spend time on yours?
This is a genuine question

20 minutes is a long time for a short film and you hardly sold it
I won't link my work for 2 reasons
>I don't to be associated with Sup Forums
>I don't want some butthurt punk to shit on my work just to make a point

somewhere where they don't kill themselves, preferably

:(

Is your work appreciated and how much do you earn average per year?

its a fmg mate. this is where filmmakers share their work and discuss it.
>i dont want to be associated with Sup Forums
i felt the same way before i understood what promotion was
im not looking to shit on anyones work. you dont have any to shit on.

you shit on my work without watching it. youre a hypocrite and a coward without the guts to make a move

What are your favorite films? Few will do

I didn't actually shit on your work at all, you're projecting
This thread isn't solely about sharing work, stop acting like a butthurt child

I don't give a fuck whether you believe I've made anything because, luckily, its existence doesn't depend on your opinion

Lots of anger.
No good will it do to anyone here.

>yeah, i aint watching that shit
that was the post you felt so necessary to write

correct.

If I list them then I'll get bullied because they're all before or after the 90s.

I can appreciate older films but just haven't seen many. Oldest movie I've seen was probably 12 Angry Men.

Question: Why did you let /swg/ die when this thread has zero good content in it and /swg/ had multiple great discussions? Jesus Christ.

>that was the post you felt so necessary to write
still didn't shit on your work
i wanted to tell you why i wasn't gonna watch it, and then you got all mad

>Not kids on Sup Forums with a self-admitted $100 budget
you are well aware of how you acted
youre young, and you are disappointed in yourself because youre too afraid to take risks
but please, continue to talk down to others to make up for these facts

nice projection fag
if you're offended by people not immediately sucking your dick, maybe go fuck off to some hugbox?
Promoting a film by saying it had a $100 budget and was made by a one-man band suggests some punk kid. Maybe if you watched more shorts you'd know that
Like I said, I didn't actually shit on the film cause I didn't watch it

Stop acting so elitist, you sound like a pretentious dickwad
And yes, I take risks all the time. I just don't post them on Sup Forums expecting everyone to comfort me

i dont want comfort from these people, i want view counts. i get comfort from festivals and judging panels ;) they consider - as they should - the small budget to be a merit and something to be applauded
now, you can return to your sour grapes.

Stop being so angry

it's wise to never reply to anyone who says they won't post their stuff on Sup Forums, generally they are just trying to rile someone up

i was going to, but threads about to die

So you're mad I won't give you a viewcount?
Yeah, you sound like a spoiled child
Fuck off

The only people who post their work here are professionals who work in a large team so they can't be identified or narcissistic children
He says he was a one-man band, so I'm betting on the latter

You sound pretty mad too so I'm guessing you posted your work once and got buttblasted when people tore it to shreds?

promotion

This $100 short sounds and looks horrible but I'll give this short a try just because of all the discussion. Will post review after I watch as much as I can tolerate.

I wouldn't
He only wants the viewcount so he can brag to his butt-buddies

this guy is not the guy who received the (You) so please let it still be known that I will not reply to him

such beautiful days...so many tears...we cry, we both cry... ::click::
that's all of that dialogue I could stand.
It was even worse than expected. $100 budget is apparent.

I will give him credit for good sound. The rest I won't nitpick.

I once pissed on Pudovkin's Film Technique right before I set it on fire

it begins after that exact dialogue in that scene and the comedy becomes more amplified, but thanks for the watch anyway

Because I'm trying to avoid doing laundry I went back and looked at it again past that point. I actually laughed out loud at the part about the guy watning to conquor his fear of sand and he's throwing sand on himself, something like that. Composition, sound, color, yadda yadda yadda, pretty damn good. I have a low tolerance for art films so I couldn't get past that first part. I thought it was clever , although certainly slower paced than I have the patience for.

8/10, better than anything I could have done, would give higher if the pacing were faster but that's simply my personal taste, of course.

I wanted to hate it but I was won over.

very glad to hear it
thanks again