/classical/

4th of July Baroque Edition

>inb4 how do I into classical
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-UZq09F9RR4
youtube.com/watch?v=JB9LXUtW2FM
youtube.com/watch?v=7dSPJ2PbyYU
youtube.com/watch?v=elVHvTrEM34
youtube.com/watch?v=e_4xcS0qDOw
youtube.com/watch?v=kWMjxE17ypM
youtube.com/watch?v=rHXxxE2WCoo
youtube.com/watch?v=ofciLQT2EmE
youtube.com/watch?v=4ukNmiDvmWk
youtube.com/watch?v=e1j_K752Wac
youtube.com/watch?v=kl7oUK3sMQo
youtube.com/watch?v=vuFkhhH6BJY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roméo_et_Juliette_(Berlioz)#Influence
youtube.com/watch?v=f5aXSS0B4Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=zYpBHc8px_U
youtube.com/watch?v=jTuOSwbho5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Ev18aiOLyrY
youtube.com/watch?v=tP6A3DjY7pM
youtube.com/watch?v=tAUkximrwHw
youtube.com/watch?v=s6R-2W7UQhI
rwagner.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=F3tXFG7qG8M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=-UZq09F9RR4

Feliz Cuatro de Julio gringos

who /dowland/ here

ayo holup. why tf was the last thread archived after only 75 posts? usually it hits around 300 or more

also, dowland
youtube.com/watch?v=JB9LXUtW2FM

I find it weird that concert halls are always packed with the elderly. But if you look at video from old performances the audience is still elderly back then.

Classical music is ageless, but the audience is forever elderly.

youtube.com/watch?v=7dSPJ2PbyYU

Depends on the events
Opera and BBC Proms always have more youth
Speaking of which, listening to old MET broadcasts is kind of fun. They're so enthusiastic it's kind of cute. They even laugh at the script's jokes, something you never hear these days desu

I wish I had friends or a significant other to go to BBC Proms with... :*(

You have to be mature for classical. Often that means old, but sometimes young people are mature as well.

me

I like Gesänge der Frühe

if you told them you love agerich playing chopin you probably wouldn't have anyone who wanted to go with you anyway

I know many of you don't like chopin or at least play along for the sake of the meme, but I am genuinely interested in hearing specific criticisms of him as a composer. no I'm not a fanboy of chopin.

who here /bruckner/

youtube.com/watch?v=elVHvTrEM34

Essentially just pretty melodies for the right hand.
Couldn't write for orchestra or really any instruments beyond piano. His piano concerti are pretty hopeless with regards to orchestral writing and successful dialogue between soloist and orchestra.

Most great composers can write for more than one instrument, but somehow Chopin gets away with just the one and is still called "great".

but couldn't someone say the same about Debussy or Ravel?

No becuase both of those composers were master orchestrators and wrote at a very high level for orchestra, string quartet and a variety of other instrumentations.
They also had a lot more to their music than "pretty melodies for the right hand"

Why did the harpsichord fall out of favor? Now when I hear it it seems like a baroque meme. Sorry, Bach.

Pianofortes came into existence.

The ability to play at more dynamics than just "loud" and "soft" by altering the keyboard you play on (upper or lower) was a big draw card for the pianoforte.

by more dynamics do you mean the pedals or what?

List your top 5 favorite symphonies, by any composer

Being able to play louder or softer.
A Harpsichord plucks the strings, so the sounds is always the same dynamic (loudness).
Some harpsichords have 2 keyboards, one above the other. When you play the lower keyboard it triggers the upper one as well so the lower keyboard is louder than the upper.

Pianofortes have many different dynamics as the loudness depends on how hard you press the key. Modern pianos have even more dynamic range.

Post Arne to piss off Ameriburgers on July 4th.
youtube.com/watch?v=e_4xcS0qDOw
>emo crybaby
Fuck that little sissy bitch desu.

Martinů 1
Schnittke 2
Mahler 5
Martinů 4
Schnittke 1 because its crazy

interesting picks poly. reminder to self that I need to check more martinu

>wasnt a serious composer of counterpoint
>vast majority of music composed for the piano or with a piano (polish songs, cello sonata)

and composed pretty melodies for right hand user is making an uneducated argument. you can pretty much read any of his mature works and theres plenty of left hand work (see op 54, op 61, op 58, and so on)

Why would that piss us off?

thanks user

youtube.com/watch?v=kWMjxE17ypM

This is probably the best recording of No.1:
youtube.com/watch?v=rHXxxE2WCoo
>uploaded 2015
>35 views
A travesty

This 4 is pretty good:
youtube.com/watch?v=ofciLQT2EmE

His Fantasia for oboe, string quartet, piano and theremin is excellent too:
youtube.com/watch?v=4ukNmiDvmWk
This recording is good because its an ondes martenot instead of a theremin - more accurate pitch which is incredibly important for Martinů

His double concerto is great too:
youtube.com/watch?v=e1j_K752Wac

I am finally ready to watch Wagner. What opera should I start with, and what performance?

I have no fucking idea where to start here.

something like tannhauser or der meistersinger

youtube.com/watch?v=kl7oUK3sMQo

Why the fuck is this compilation so hard to find? Amazon has it going for $100AUD a cd, after sticking it in my soulseek wishlist for weeks all I've been able to find is the first cd at 128kbps.
Anyone own a copy? Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

1658711 on rutracker

holy shit I can't believe I've never used rutracker before. god bless you.

Chopin strenght is in his unparalleled grasp on pianism (anyone who has played any of his pieces with any degree of competence knows what I'm talking about), and extreme sophistication in melodic development and treatment, a revolutionary harmonic vision and extreme familiarity with counterpoint.
All of these pros, which have academic legitimacy, can't be understood by amateurs, yet a master of singing technique will find Chopin's phrasing nothing short of miraculous.
Also his music is appreciated by the general public, so plebs tend to think that this is why we're still playing Chopin in conservatories and teaching Chopin's Etudes to virtually every piano student on Earth.

youtube.com/watch?v=vuFkhhH6BJY
Opinions?

>symphonic poem

Just dive into the Ring desu: so long as you have some semblance of an attention span you'll be fine. I went straight into the Ring and by the end of Rheingold I was really eager to see what happened in the rest of them, so it wasn't even like watching them was a chore. And once you've done the Ring, you won't be asking yourself the question of whether you can "do" the other operas, since they're all far shorter in comparison.
Go for the Boulez/Chereau Ring if you want a performance with visuals, then you can start getting autistic with Ring cycles throughout the ages.

start with berlioz - romeo et juliette
then tristan and isolde
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roméo_et_Juliette_(Berlioz)#Influence

>Boulez's Wagner

Give me a classical composition that floods over the world's fire, a piece that can fill any one person to the brim.

As far as recorded productions of the Ring go, there aren't really many as good as the Boulez/Chereau. If I were recommending a Cd recording then I would go for something else, but since this person is looking to get into Wagner for the first time, they're going to require something with visuals.

>floods over the world's fire
so, is soothing and calming?
Your image seems to imply the opposite - please be more specific about what you're looking for.

About to go out to watch the ROH broadcast of La Traviata that they show across the UK. Don't particularly know any of the cast and La Traviata is far from my favourite Verdi opera, but could b gud.

youtube.com/watch?v=f5aXSS0B4Dw

Oh, I'm only pulling images for "the sublime" out of google. You interpret the sentence however you like.

his Wagner is pretty good, actually. it's fleet of foot, consistently dramatic, smooth and transparent, etc.

it's just that his opting for a more chamber-esque sound is kinda contradictory when you consider the shitty acoustic he conducting his Parsifal and Ring in.

also some of his singers are just pretty shit. i think choosing Gwyneth Jones as the Brunnhilde for that production was a bad decision. she's wobbly, her diction is terrible, and the acting is merely ok.

>you have to be mature for classical

Nah m8,, I'm an antinatalist

Can't modulate for shit. Its usually abrupt and not set up well or worse, he'll use some glissando to wash over it.

Boulez rendiition of the Ring is generally considered mediocre, and most of the musicians involved with it have dissociated their names from that interpretation.

>some of his singers are pretty shit
Euphemism of the century.

>Debussy
>master orchestrator

>Nah m8,, I'm an incel
ftfy

>muh nietzsche

Rautavaara 6
Messiaen Turangalila
Bruckner 8
Mahler 7
Schubert 6

in no particular order :^)

>Boulez rendiition of the Ring is generally considered mediocre
any controversy with that Ring usually has more to do with the production than the conducting, and these days, it's hard to be overly hard on the production considering how absolutely full retard opera productions have gone. generally it's critically rated fairly well, though, and, really, the only other DVD choice that is competitive is the Levine, which is treacherously slow even if the singers and traditional production are overall better (the directing is pretty cheesy, though)

>and most of the musicians involved with it have dissociated their names from that interpretation.
sources? sounds interesting. the only performers i know about who had a complicated relationship with those productions were some of the early ones, and they left.

>Euphemism of the century.
most of the cast isn't really a complete failure, though.
>Wotan
Mediocre, not bad
>Alberich
Decent
>Rhinemaidens
Good
>Loge
Good
>Mime
Very, very good
>Siegmund
Good
>Sieglinde
Decent
>Brünnhilde
Bad
>Siegfried
Mediocre
>Hagen
Slightly above mediocre
>anything Salminen touched
great

not going to go through every role, but yeah. generally speaking, it's poor leads supported by a decent to good supporting cast, and since it's that 80s, poor leads is unfortunately the norm. at least the acting is usually fairly good, though.

they should have tried to persuade Rene Kollo to stick around as the Siegfried desu. i've heard the early broadcasted performances of his Siegfried at that ring, and he puts in one of the best modern performances of the role, especially in the acting department.

happy 4th of july day

Secession was a mistake.

youtube.com/watch?v=zYpBHc8px_U

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=jTuOSwbho5Y

youtube.com/watch?v=Ev18aiOLyrY

Furtwangler's La Scala Ring

That's not John Dowland but yes I enjoy most of his work.

nice

>babbys triggered by mere words

>mere words
Yeah they were "mere" alright. Probably the most "mere" I've ever heard from a musician.

Happy 4th of July! I'll post some remarkable American classical here:

i'll just leave this here

youtube.com/watch?v=tP6A3DjY7pM

>the art of [own name]
What a conceited idiot lmfao

It's burger day, post burgers

>implying
Then maybe you should hear more than one song instead of getting meme'd on.

i'm in the searching of something strange: a choral symphony with gregorian chants. Can someone tell me if there's something like that?

Here

youtube.com/watch?v=tAUkximrwHw

1 - Brian symphony no 1 ''Gothic''
2 - Mahler symphony no 1 ''Titan''
3 - Mendelssohn symphony no 3 ''Italian''
4 - Berlioz symphony ''fantastique''
5 - Wagner symphony in C major

Yoshimatsu symphony No.3
Beethven ninth symphony
Adams Harmonielehre (is a symphony except in the name)
Penderecki symphony No.7 seven gates of jerusalem
Gorecki symphony No.2 copernican

u mad about the symphonic poems?

*Beethoven

>Mendelssohn symphony no 3 ''Italian''
You mean "Scottish"

Mahler No. 5
Mendelssohn No. 4
Copland No. 3
Bernstein No. 2
Dukas Symphony in C

Bonus:
Glass No. 6
Klemperer No. 1

DAHNALD

Why does Sokolov sounds so majestic? Listen to the first chords of his Hammerklavier Sonata
youtube.com/watch?v=s6R-2W7UQhI
How can they sound so brilliant, heavy and almost istitutional in nature, as if you could hear in those chords the glitter of Austrian monarchy.

What technique does he use to obtain such a majestic effect?

/here/

am i a pleb for not enjoying his 4th and 6th as much as the rest of the symphonies?

No, the italian. i put the three because i follow the historical order, not the published one.

pretty slow allegro

So I guess you don't consider Lobgesang as a symphony

Actually i don't understand why Mendelssohn decided to call this a ''symphony''. Maybe because Beethoven's ninth choral symphony? Personally i consider this ''symphony'' a orchestral cantata

I read he never called it a symphony, it was only poshumously listed as a symphony

Probably easiest to get into the Ring by watching Rheingold (and Boulez/Chereau production is good to try out) but if you prefer a more conservative, less interventionist take on the staging, you could get DVDs of the Met under Levine in 1990ish. That version adheres pretty strictly to Wagner's ideas of what he wanted in the staging, but with modern stage effects and costumes. Also the Levine Ring has James Morris as Wotan who gives a way better vocal performance than Donald Macintyre.

If you want to go the recording route most people start with the Solti studio ring. Alternatively you could browse productions on Youtube and find one you like. Libretti for all the operas are available at rwagner.net/

Well, if i'm not wrong, he called it as a symphony-cantata.

To clarify, I don't mean the singers in the Levine ring are in modern dress, I mean the costumes are designed to look like they're from a mythical age, but look more up to date than the simple stereotyped look that would've been in use at Bayreuth or the Met 50 years ago

Give me your neatest A. Vivaldi recordings.

Back. Soprano (Corinne Winters) had a rough first act so I was fearing the worst (since 80% of the opera is Violetta) but she grew into it and did a sterling job in the final act. Tenor (Atalla Ayan) was solid to good throughout: had a very consistent tone across his range and looked effortless when at the top (in comparison to the Violetta). Baritone was also really solid and effortless across the range, plus he looked like he could feasibly be Alfredo's father so points on that.
All in all, I still think Traviata is a bit of a boring opera, but sitting through it wasn't as much of a chore as I had expected: although the amarone may have contributed to that as well.
Kollo in the Janowski Ring is p. good, but I'm not sure what the state of video recordings of Janowski Rings are. I think Janowski was conducting the Ring from Bayreuth last year which I suffered through, but really weak cast for the most part. Walkure was a real, real test of my endurance.

youtube.com/watch?v=F3tXFG7qG8M

anyone have a list of all Jewish composers?

Why?

I like classical music but I'm poor and hate people but love to go out in the rain when i can hear Satie Erik and with a girl with yellow plastics that dance and boots on shore with music from oratorylike dome and then see eyes and say I prefer to be.

I need to know who to avoid.

Avoid this thread.

Off the top of my head:
Mendelssohn
Mahler
Schoenberg
Bernstein
Gershwin
Feldman
Glass
Reich
Weill
Hammerstein
Irving Berlin
Ullmann
Zemlinsky
Ligeti
Klemperer (though more of a conductor)
Zorn
Schnittke
Ornstein
Hans Zimmer

Literally everyone on your list is Jewish. Not making a thing of it, I'm just wondering if that was deliberate or a coincidence?

Forgot Dukas and Aaron Copland

This thread is getting inane real quick.

Oy vey, shut it down!