Am I the only one who thinks this movie was shit?

Am I the only one who thinks this movie was shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/dl.php?t=3317033
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks like shit to me.

Everything apart from the underworld scenes is subpar. Real world scenes are like 80% of the movie, so yeah, it's overrated.

del toro is shit

should of replaced his eyes with grapes LMAO xDDD

Right here bub. Don't know why it got all the praise.
>generic "kid is scared and creates fantasy world" idea, which is a pretty sad excuse for some funky fx
>story went nowhere slowly
>le ebin evil guys
>the whole fantasy part was publicized a lot and is only a small fraction of the movie
worst part is I was living in Mexico in those days and everyone was like
>HURR WE HAVE TO WATCH BECAUSE IT'S MADE BY A MEXICAN
the fucking beaners even went with their small children to watch it, they had to put out signs warning people of the violent nature.

its bad because tv is contrarian

it was a good movie. fuck what a whole bunch of 16 year old r/edditors think.

The real world scenes are great because they create a contrast for the fantasy scenes. Also, these scenes were good by theirsleves too.
the fantasy world is far from generic though, it mirrors the events in the real world. The imagery is also amazing.

>the fantasy world is far from generic though, it mirrors the events in the real world. The imagery is also amazing.
I never said the fantasy world is generic you fucking illiterate, I said the idea of a kid being scared and creating a fantasy world to escape the reality is a boring trope

The fantasy world itself was prolly the only good thing in the film because of it's originality and traditional fx. Thing is, the whole movie is just a vehicle for those very fx.

no

You don't think it was shit, and neither does any underage faggot ITT.

If something that is usually generic and boring is done in a way that isn't generic and boring, can you use that as a point to discredit the film?
I think it isn't, and that is why i made the post.

>Right here bub
Did you just call me Blob?

>don't have Pan's Labyrinth downloaded
>KAT is kill
JUST

kek

try this
rutracker.org/forum/dl.php?t=3317033

I had to watch it in a film class in college, and I was honestly expecting a kids fantasy movie, albeit maybe a dark one, like Dark Crystal or Neverending Story. That is, until that dude caves that other dude's face in with a bottle.

>this movie came out 10 years ago

yeah I don't see how anyone could call that uninteresting or subpar. violent does not equal good , but this movie is so emotional and tense, yet has a childlike sense of wonder to it. It's not very cerebral but it is beautiful

>generic "kid is scared and creates fantasy world" idea

except that the movie stays ambiguous to weather the fantasy world is all in the girls head or not.

>all these slav runes
I don't think so, Artyom.

>le ebin evil guys
what the criticism here? that the movie has antagonists?

yeah, that's the basic thing about this trope.
>hurr what is real? what is fantasy?
>le open ending
>le decide for yourself
it's lazy writing is what it is

holy shit

is that her

fuck forgot pic

Didn't it just make you download the .torrent? Then I can't help you. You can sign up on rutracker and find it there if you can get past the slav runes. I get most my movies from rutracker.

But redditors and some critics liked it because muh evil Franco.

They're totally flat and have no personality other than being really, really evil.

It's actually clever writing because it pertains to the theme of the movie, which is forming your own narrative and disobeying the singular point of view fascists often try to enforce

How unbecoming of a fairy tale, right?

No I see what you're saying though. Still need to sign up or whatever. I'll try and figure it out. Thanks.

Yeah, except I don't remember the movie being about moral ambiguity. In fact, commies were the perfect good guys from what I remember.

you could argue that's because you're watching from a childrens perspective, everything in the movie has little nuance. The theme isn't building your own narrative imo, it's a how childs sense of wonder functions in a world filled with violence.

>forming your own narrative
you mean making up some bullshit to just escape reality. What you're saying would make sense if what she was dreaming up was somehow related to reality, but it wasn't, it mirrored reality to some extent, but it was just an escapist fantasy. If anything it's "cinema talking about cinema", as in films letting you escape a harsh reality. And that is a pretty cringey and pathetic theme for a movie tbqhwy.

>le contrarian meme

How do you know I don't like every other movie critics praise? Am I a contrarian just because I dislike one movie they love?

I'm
>partial hivemind
still seems like a very unoriginal idea, and little more than an excuse for the fx.

Wew lad. She grew up nicely

I saw it based on the hype of "one of the best fantasy movies ever!" and seeing a few screenshots and was disappointed. Is a movie really "fantasy" when all the fantasy stuff are dream sequences and largely unrelated to the plot?

The non-fantasy stuff was ok. 6/10 movie.

yeah, in the end the movie doesn't really have a strong message or even a great plot. It's style over substance. It is dtill a great movie to me though, but that's mostly because of atmosphere and the cinematography.

>nice monsters
>based falange removing gommie
>can make grills watch it thinking it's like labyrinth and laugh as they hate it

You fags don't like anything

What i meant by this is that the movie is showing us that there is never one clear singular perspective. It could just be imagination it could be real. There are multiple interpretations. Fascist however want people to see the world in a single way. The them of the movie is disobedience. The narrative dissobeys to the classical fairytale standard of giving the viewer a clear moralistic interpretation, just like the rebels disobey the enforced interpretation of fascism

I like movies with dense plots, so this one didn't cut the mustard for me at all.
Went to see it with senpai because
>HURR LE MEXICAN DIRECTOR (see earlier post)
bored the hell out of me. Oh well.

>letting you escape a harsh reality
How can it mirror reality and still be escapism?
The fantasy world remained just as harsh and frightening as the reality up until the point where the protagonist dies.

>The narrative dissobeys to the classical fairytale standard of giving the viewer a clear moralistic interpretation, just like the rebels disobey the enforced interpretation of fascism
wut? No it doesn't. The baddies are really really evil, the good guys are really really nice. That's pure fairytale-style writing. But all the while it mixes a lot of social realism (civil war films are their own genre in spanish cinema) and realistic representation. That's where it loses me, the movie doesn't know which way to go.

>It mirrors reality
What I meant was that it's like this parallel fantasy, like in the wizard of oz, where the fantasy characters are always the equivalent of the real characters.

>tattoos
into the basura it goes

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but every political ideology out there wants people to see some aspects of the world in a single way, commies included.

Rude

Secundado.

I don't man, i think that's the whole point of fascism, that there is no room for different views. real world communism also was a fascist regime but not openly so, they not mutually exclusive. However i think rebels in the film are just fighting against fascism not for a certain ideology. Maybe they were just normal people like you and me who fought for personal freedom and individuality

>am I the only person with this very normal opinion to have on this planet?
>DAE XDDD
Fuck you faggot, get the fuck out of this board.

Nah, that other user is right. Most political ideologies are basically
>hurr I'm right you're wrong

Yeah so how can the protagonist escape into that fantasy then? Why would she create a fanatasy world where weird ogre monsters are trying to eat her? Your whole criticism of the movie being about pathetic escapism falls flat.

The fantasy bits were top-notch.
The civil war bits were hella lame.

Huh. Fair point. But that only makes it an even worse movie
>she starts dreaming up a fantasy world because of the scary reality, and the fantasy world is even more scary
>the kid is really really scared
what's the fucking point?

>The civil war bits were hella lame.
In keeping with every spanish civil war movie ever made.

Yeah that's how discourse works. doesn't mean that one ideology isn't actually morally superior to the other though.
For example your ideology might be that all puppies in the world should be burned alive and my ideology would be that your ideology is shit.

kek
I don't even know where this discussion is going. The whole point was that saying
>the movie is about fascism imposing one worldview and the kid making up a different one
is a kind of weak theme since the "good guys" are just the same

So the Movie can just be bad or even worse then in your book.
Also the girl isn't really really scared she faces the horror in both the real world and fantasy.

That's the point i'm trying to make: The good guys are not the same they fight for believing what ever the fuck they want.

>So the Movie can just be bad or even worse then in your book.
well yeah, my initial point was that the child making up a fantasy universe (for whatever reason) is a tired and unoriginal trope, and that the whole movie is just a vehicle for del taco's fx buddies.

>it's lazy writing is what it is

Ameridumbs actually think this.

nice goal post moving there. Maybe making up a fantasy universe is for escapism is unoriginal but the way it's done in the movie isn't. It subverts the typical trope by making the fantasy world intertwined with the real world

>moving goal post
> It subverts the typical trope by making the fantasy world intertwined with the real world
except this was done in the wizard of oz. The characters all reflect characters from the real world. That's what defines the trope.
The only slight subversion is that she doesn't imagine it to escape, but for no reason at all.

You are contrarian because you desperately want to critique a movie because it has universal acclaim.
Unless you bring up very good points against the arguments that have been made by many highly acclaimed reviewers such as roger ebert that the movie is good, you are just a dumb shitposter

It was shit.
Del Toro is a self-haiting Spaniard "we wuz aztecs" faggots.

this

you realize all this board is, is shitposting

thats why most people come here, to spread unpopular opinions and get Yous

Never seen the wizard of oz so i can't really say much about the similarities. But one movie can't really make for a tired trope. What other movies do this exact same thing. Also the movie is self aware about the similarities to the wizard of oz which is shown by the red shoes the girl is wearing. It draws from many other sources though too, like greek mythology, german folklore and such it recontextualizes many different stories. That's why it's subversive as opposed to classic fairy tale adaptations by disney for example where the movie draws and stays true to a singular source material i.e. snow white.

I don't man, i think some people in here are just generally retarded

he seems to me more of a self hating mexican. All mexicans secretly want to be white and european/murrican. So it makes sense that he'd make a movie set during the spanish civil war
>look at me I make le civil war film am I a white spaniard yet?

GDT sucks

Used to be a fan, he sucks. Still like his work, but he sucks

How are mexicans not white but spaniards are? I can't into your logic

I said wizard of oz because it's the first thing that came to mind. I'm terrible at thinking of movies for specific elements, I couldn't name any with that trope off the top of my head, but it's definitely been done. Maybe not done to death, but to an extent where you need something more than Pan's Lab to make it original.

Wizard of Oz starts with a sepia-toned part set in Kansas, and during a Tornado the girl passes out and has the whole dream in the land of Oz. She meets all those colorful characters, all of which represent the people from the real world we saw at the beginning, they're even played by the same actors/actresses.

>don't know if for real or "le spaniards aren't white maymay"
Mexicans are spaniards mixed with native americans (Aztecs, Mayas, etc.). They're pretty brown and very butthurt about it.