youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8_wQ9ievA
youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_White_Council
youtube.com/watch?v=BLdH9P3IidY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Check this song out.

It's the best most nostalgic version of Into the West, and not so well known:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8_wQ9ievA

Daily reminder that Sauron got owned by a dog.

Thank you to all the folks answering my questions about monsters in the last thread

Why did Gandalf pursue the Balrog?

Superior Tolkien song:

youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU

>Why did Gandalf pursue the Balrog?
To level up. Seriously though, the Balrog kinda drew him in, I'm sure he wanted to avoid him.

That weren't no normal dog, and Sauron didn't look like that in the fight.

because the balrog knew the way out, gandalf didnt

Is Bree the only place in Middle-Earth where two seperate races live side by side in the same town?

Would the Balrog have allied with Sauron?

Because Gandalf was lost. He had no idea how to get out of the endless tunnels and caves beneath Moria, but the balrog knew them all well. He chased it in the hopes of it leading him to an exit. It did: the endless stair of Zirak Zigil was the exit in question. Of course, it opened onto a dead end, a balcony atop the mountain. At that point it was battle or nothing.

He became a werewolf, that's all the description we have.

This Justin Gerard guy seems to be interpreting the silmarillion pretty loosely.

no, your moms bed is the other one

Come to think of it, yes. Seems reasonable to believe there were easterners in Dale and Laketown though (well, those are humans, but so are hobbits).

threadly reminder that fingolfin could have rolled through mordor and 1v1'd prime sauron only to be back in time for dinner.

He didn't actually want to, he wanted to GTFO of Moria with the rest of fellowship. He was basically forced to fight him in the end, since they both ended up in the same place and the Balrog wasn't just gonna give up and let him walk away. That nigga wanted a dust up from the moment he woke up.

Dale and Erebor involve a lot of dwarf/man mixing and interaction, but for the most part yes. Some of the other towns near Bree also had hobbit populations, including Archet, Combe, and Staddle.

hobbits are descendants of Men but ok

Maybe, though I don't see what is in it for him.

>You will never live here

Release me from this mortal coil already.

Tolkien's "werewolves" were just evil spirits in the shape of gigantic wolves. They weren't humanoid. That much is very clear. Also, Sauron's wolf-form gets a little more description then that.

Fingolfags pls go.

Your husbando got stomped on literally.

Why do some elves like Galadriel have super powers but 99% of the others dont?

Is it because of her age; do elves grow into those powers if they live long enough?

I know orcs are pulled out of the ground but do they have to be "planted" first or is Mordor just cursed into having those pits forever?

When they say Sauron is in Barad Dur regaining his power is he just like, haunting the tower or is he sitting in some throne room? Or is it meant to be vague?

Who /house finarfin/ here?

Daily reminder that Numenor got rused by Sauron.

>ywn live in Imladris and feast and party in Elronds house every night drinking, smoking a pipe, and sharing tales of old

jdimsa

Eh... looks like earth desu

Galadriel could read minds. And she had a collection of powerful artefacts, like that mirror. The rest of it was just illusions. The non-canon dol guldur bullshit from the hobbit movies isn't part of her.

guys... i just wanted to say thanks... these threads have helped me through some tough times.

thanks for being who you are.

You must go to the redlettermedia threads for a support group.

Did the two Blue Wizards actually do anything?

Calm down, user. It's just a comfy LOTR thread.

But she still has power to create thise illusions. The elf king from the other Hobbit movie also did magic tricks with his face.

Why is it only elf royalty can do tricks?

>tfw no Tinúviel

Where in Middle Earth do you want to live and why, assuming you are allowed/accepted everywhere

I would go for Lothlorien if woodelves weren't such bitches. Rivendell it is.

jerked each other off occasionally im sure

Probably Harad. To party Harad.

The rest of middle earth is depressing.

not that we know of but its been suggested that they're running resistance movements in the lands controlled by sauron

Apparently they went on their own secret adventures in Arda's Iraq. Their story is intentially vague, we just know they acted as good guys. Supposedly they fought Sauron in their own ways but they also might have started cults of magic

>Entire world of Arda in LOTR
>We only see select parts of the entire world in one continent called Middle Earth that's about the size of Europe irl

They went to Cuiviénen to fuck all the elf bitches

Galadriel doesn't have superpowers, that's a exageration from Peter Jackson. She did learn some magic from Melian, a Maiar, but it's nothing even remotely close to what the movies portray. In the Hobbits movies, it was particularly overplayed, she fucking teleports away from Gandalf, and confronts Sauron? Bullshit. If anyone, the wizards are the ones who do that, and they sure as hell can't teleport.

Regarding age and ancestry, the elves of the first generations were indeed fucking superhumans. Galadriel is a 2nd generation elf, so she has a lot of that pure elven fuel in her, but there are male elves from her days that are on a total different level.

>Glorfindel was cut out of the LOTR trilogy
fucking hackson

but... that's muslim country

Grey Havens, in the days of Gil-Galad.

Gondolin

Isengard post-Saruman, but without Saruman in control.

I know Tolkien was super anti-industry, but I love the city and industrial revolution era London.

>
>Entire world of Arda in LOTR
>We only see select parts of the entire world in one continent called Middle Earth that's about the size of Europe irl

Yeah exactly the part where shit happens

>pacifist little bitch family
Both Feanor and Fingolfin were vastly superior to their bitch boy little brother.

Where were you when the Noldor crossed the point of no return?

Gotta be Hobbiton, max comfy.

Well you sure chose a nice place. Treebeard will surely bring the age of steam to middle earth.

this

Not being surprised because all elves are fucking shits.

I marvel at Ted Nasmith's ability to make all these mystical things look so mundane. His landscapes are classics but dang do his characters suck.

>kinslaying
literal retards, no wonder men are Eru's favorite

All elves have some degree of "magical" power, as men or Hobbits would call it. It's how they can make magical ropes, swords, food, cloaks, etc, etc. It's made especially clear with Legolas in the books. He never has to sleep because elves "rest" in their dreams, and they can dream while awake. He (and in The Hobbit it's implied all elves) can see not just across great distances, but also spiritual things that mortals cannot. He knows the secret languages of animals and even trees and stones, and can and does talk to them.

It's all because elves are less... physical than humans are. That's the best way I can put it. In Tolkien's cosmology all living things have "hroa" and "fea" or "body" and "spirit." The Valar and Maiar are all fea; they shift shape and adopt new bodies like we change clothes. Elves are mostly fea contained within a slight shell of hroa; eventually, if they live long enough, their hroa is burned away by their inner spiritual power. Humans, dwarves, and hobbits on the other hand are mostly hroa, with a fea core. Their bodies age and die, while their fea goes on to who knows where. The end result, though, is that it's a lot easier for the Valar/maiar (IE the Ainur) and elves to directly affect their surroundings through spiritual might.

Galadriel's mirror was all her. The silver basin she poured water into had no intrinsic magical power.

It was conquistador tier.

>
Apparently they went on their own secret adventures in Arda's Iraq.

they went to the east though

It's because elves are MORE physical. They are more connected to the world and can never leave it.

The spirituality of men that goes beyond the world is alien to the elves.

same shit

they're orthodox

are people of mid earth religious?

>tfw no 3D walking simulator set in First Age Middle Earth and Beleriand

She has a ring of power

I like to think they just went on a pubcrawl and never stopped.

>3D walking simulator set in First Age
>Oh wow, look at this beautiful elven city.
>Cool, you can see Edain vassasls] on the way to meet their Noldor overlord!
>Aw yeah, checkin' out Nargothrond, all these pillars carved like trees, nice, nice.
>let's go check out this big hill or somethi--
>arrows everywhere
>other side of the hill is on fire
>oh shit, orcs
>oh shit, trolls
>oh shit DRAGONS

A First Age walking simulator would either turn into an action game or a survival game real fast.

I think that because the Gods are fact in middle earth to the point that people can interact with them it resulted in no need for organized religion

Legends say that Pallando go down 12 beers in 12 minutes.

The Ring doesn't explain everything she can do, just some of it.

You can nust use the invisibility cloak Gandalf gave to Frodo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_White_Council

An open world TES: Oblivion style game set in Middle Earth before the events of the Hobbit. I looked forward to this for years.

Instead we got LOTR: Conquest.

Thanks for that, friend. He has some amazing songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=BLdH9P3IidY

>orcs
>trolls
>dragons

Yeah that's not even the start of it. Enjoy hiking around taur no fuin.

Yeah, because that'll help you avoid a pack of werewolves from Tol-in-Gaurhoth who have caught your scent.

OK here's a question: Why does the ring turn Frodo invisible? If the ring wants to be found, and has a sort consciousness all of it's own (Even of it's really just an extension of Sauron), wouldn't it try and fuck Frodo over at every opportunity? That ring saved his ass a whole bunch of times.

He's good but god damn are his characters ugly.

Why did Gandalf travel all the way to the ukraine?

I mean, it saved his ass roughly zero times, got him stabbed by an ebolaids blade, and lead him to mordor, which is the prime spot to be found.

Lel I forgot there actually was one of those in LOTR, was going for a confused-it-with-Harry-Potter "joke"

For comparison, this is Shelob and Frodo by John Howe, the other big Tolkien artist.

The ring makes him invisible to people not connected to Sauron. When he wears the ring sauron can see him through mountains and shit.

And finally Alan Lee, who's also done a lot of LotR stuff. I like Howe the best overall.

That's infinitely better.

It's not just him. Sam goes invisible when he uses it. So did Isildur and Bilbo. Their invisibility is also described in very similar terms to that of the Nazgul (dims sight but strengthens other senses such as smell, daylight messes with your senses further, you can see things in the spirit-realm). Sauron, on the other hand, was never invisible when wearing the ring.

The implication seems to be that mortals wearing the ring go invisible, but this is something of an unintended side effect. Beings like Gandalf, Sauron, other Maiar, and elves all exist more in the spirit world already, due their greater fea. Humans, hobbits and dwarves on the other hand are more bound to their hroa. The Ring partially drags them into the spirit world when they wear it, rendering them mostly invisible; in The Hobbit it's mentioned you still have a barely visible shadow when wearing the ring, but it's only visible in broad daylight.

I like Howe's colors and Lee's designs. Howe tends to overdesign shit too often.

I like this Justing Gerard guy I just found while googling silmarillion stuff.

In the book Sauron can't see just if you put on the Ring unless you're already in Mordor, IE near the seat of his power.

>lightsabers in LotR

When PJ go back and remaster all the effects?

Beings with more body than spirit go invisible (turn into spirit)

Beings with more spirit than body dont go invisible (turn into body)

There is literally not another actress that is better suited to play Luthien than pic related

Don't even bother refuting it.

Wtf did they do to sams face? He looks like a fucking crack head

I distinctly remember Gollum not wearing it that often because he kept feeling watched while wearing it.

>It lead him to Mordor

Not really. It was Gollum who lead him to Mordor and showed him the pass of Cirith Ungol.

Howe and Lee actually flew down to NZ and worked on the movies

In the books all elvish weapons glow when near orcs, not just Sting. Also, it's described more as if white or blue flames are flickering about the blade, less a straight up glow