/daily/ - spakitty edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously on /birdabs/ :

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RKBUG9VLFU
www26.zippyshare.com/v/gdM9yKu1/file.html
reddit.com/r/ListeningHeads/comments/6l07td/artist_spotlight_john_coltrane
play.spotify.com/album/2tR9xnRoUC7KEmiLHWWLnU
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the_decemberists/the_tain_f1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trad__gras_och_stenar/gardet_12_6_1970/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/rolf_liebermann_george_gruntz/symphonie_les_echanges/
ethanchandler.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-2
1999band.bandcamp.com/
agnf.bandcamp.com/
handlessman.bandcamp.com/
setsukoband.bandcamp.com/
rateyourmusic.com/...hback_magazine/
youtu.be/W5yOk9A7K6s
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mccoy_tyner/sahara/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oren-ambarchi-johan-berthling/tongue-tied/
mega.nz/#!INBxTApI!Qk9palZUJpSe7vbzdWZZd1CrYtnrRXn8WBw20bN40CE
mega.nz/#!LgMCDbCI!fRJw_WUOkYqyKDIpk_BLfMZs3dGYoAEAJohgpFoO6Fc
seikatsufortheboys.bandcamp.com/
youtu.be/QUgj94xGS3g
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sandy-bull/fantasias-for-guitar-and-banjo-2/
celephase.bandcamp.com/
rateyourmusic.com/~Hotel_Trivago
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/those-guys/love_-love_-love/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ital_tek/control/
italtek.bandcamp.com/album/control-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

usa usa usa

extremely peeing edition

oh...
youtube.com/watch?v=4RKBUG9VLFU

Jamming to this atm

>tfw not a real part of america but everyone gets 4th of july off anyway

celebrating with best 2017 bleep

wew wildly wrong image

>people dislike DVNO
Ugly boys and girls with no membership, surely.

I want a thousand words essay about that rating on my desk by noon.

i still kinda like black metal, merzbow and some cecil taylor stuff

Top of the mornin' to ya

nyarl
here's the mixtape
www26.zippyshare.com/v/gdM9yKu1/file.html

post more borzois please :)

that stream was gold

Afternoon /daily/, I'm starting to be convinced that Wretch is the greatest Kyuss album, really don't get the love for Welcome to Sky Valley. Gonna try both of Vince Staples' albums today so I'll see how that goes, listened to the following;

>Forest Swords - Compassion. Was expecting something like Deerhunter's Cryptograms, got something largely different if having some sort of omnipresent reverb. Mostly some sort of jagged ambient album with very few vocals, very good album.
>Xiu Xiu - Forget. Never listened to Xiu Xiu before so I didn't know what to expect, ended up with these sub-ASMR vocals and 4/4 kick-drums a top loads of these kitsch-yet-very-enjoyable synths that kinda remind me of the Death Grips, of course with more emphasis on atmosphere and not being hip-hop and all. Really liking this thing.

Also just to go on a tangent I'm really loving the new Mountain Goats album, does their other stuff sound like it? Certainly my album of the year so far.

Looks kinda like a horse here, nice dog.

Where user? Curious. I always forget that 4th of July is a thing.

the majority of their albums are better

>Also just to go on a tangent I'm really loving the new Mountain Goats album, does their other stuff sound like it?
Beat the Champ and Transcendental Youth are really the only albums that sound like Goths, but Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree are also top tier albums.
Beat the Champ is likely my 2015 AOTY.

hey i wanted to make a /daily/ originals chart too
wanna share

Just wondering now that I've thought about it, how long have you guys all been on Sup Forums, like I assume by default that everyone has been on here for an average of 4~-5~ years though every now and then I'll see something that makes me reconsider, its kinda messing with me.

Seems like I'm going to be binging the heck of them then, I really can't wait to try the rest of their material, does reverse-chrono order sound good?

sounds ideal to me.

DES
PA
CITO

Hey /daily/, not sure if anyone's interested but I recently put together a guide to John Coltrane. I know most of this board has heard a decent amount of his music but hopefully this will spark someone's interest / encourage someone to dig into more of his material. Figured it was worth a shot.

reddit.com/r/ListeningHeads/comments/6l07td/artist_spotlight_john_coltrane

I know reddit isn't the preferred medium but honestly making the list on RYM would've been too much of a pain. Lemme know what you think, pic related is a little flowchart I decided to put together.

Anyway, Happy Fourth to those of you celebrating!

About 7 years but the /daily/ population is very diverse.

Why some of the records are in a red square?

Oh whoops forgot to explain that! Those are the albums I think are the most essential / important in the context of his career. If you really want, you could just listen to those albums and get a sense of his different styles

Cool, this is awesome and thorough. How many people do you think actually want to start with Blue Train though? If I wanted to turn someone onto Coltrane I'd almost certainly play something early to mid 60s to give them a taste of the more out-there-but-not-too-weird characteristic of Coltrane stuff, like My Favorite Things or The John Coltrane Quartet Plays. And then work your way back if you're interested in the tamer, more subtle stuff.

Thanks!

Hmmm that is a good point. I chose Blue Train because I was shooting for a broader audience. For some reason, I assumed most would find something like My Favorite Things or A Love Supreme to be too strange or out there but I guess it really depends on the person.

slint more like shit

play.spotify.com/album/2tR9xnRoUC7KEmiLHWWLnU

Listening to this thing. Chilled mellow sountrack feel to it.

hello "From The Right Hemisphere".
not wasting time on your stuff, sorry

Los Holys was a cool little sloppy surf/psych record from Peru

German Oak was boring 'atmospheric' wank, super disappointed, concept of recording in a nazi bunker has promise but its just wank.

Index's second record is missing a bit of the lo-fi surf style that made the first so great but there's still some of the atmosphere here, nowhere near it's predecessor but still a good garage record.

Harry Taussig is pretty great, one or two moments that get just a bit too sloppy but overall his style of fingerpicking is really enjoyable.

Purified by the Fire really is just an alternate take of You Are My Everlovin with a couple parts changed. Not that I'm complaining about more of the same from Flynt.

Hello rreddit xd

I finished the other chart and it was mostly kind of boring with a few gems tucked away. I have better luck with my own discoveries, so now I'm a freeform chart guy.

>Country Joe & The Fish - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die
Electric Music for the Mind and Body is one of my favorite albums I might not recommend to anyone not already into psych stuff. It most certainly belongs on a Mount Rushmore of early, prototypical acid rock, which also means it has plenty of what we today may consider psychedelic cliches--Barry Melton's twangy guitar bends, the type of melodies that just didn't make it out of the 60s, that damn Hammond organ tone. It's all deliciously dated. Not to mention, of course, it has some extremely fried songs, like "Section 43" or "Bass Strings," which reject conventional structure.

I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die, the follow-up to the early-psych masterpiece, on the other hand, is a different story. It was released around the same time, but this really isn't even psych. It may have been the quickly shifting attitude of the 60s, but this is more of the blatantly protest song variety here, with extremely tame and understated folk (rock? Is that appropriate?) songs that are only marginally above average interspersed with the only truly interesting songs--"Magoo", "Eastern Jam", etc.--that belong more to Electric Music for the Mind and Body. I've listened to this album several times now without much registering, but these longer, less structured jams are almost all that's worthwhile.

5.5/10

Post 2017?

never heard of these guys, will check out Electric Music

Haight Ashbury stuff--embrace the camp

about 5 years

Career Suicide

DICK FUCK

Not 2017 and fuck off anyway.

>tfw you're right
fucking rym baka

yeah sure

You don't mean one of those collab charts or

Neat

whatever u wanna do man

so far
>Moonshake - Eva Luna
I feel like I should enjoy this way more than I do. Granted, I did enjoy this listen, it just didn't stand out to me. The noise was good, but it felt subdued. It may be because of the production quality on this thing, it should be more bombastic. Otherwise, its a super solid noise pop record.
3+
>Murmuure - s/t
Other than the opener, I wasn't really big on this. It didn't really grab my ears, it felt like pretty mediocre ambient with some edgy metal influences. Not a big fan.
2.5+
>The Field - Cupid's Head
Really good minimal techno. Super dreamy and super hypnotic, I enjoyed it a lot.
3.5-
>Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
A third of Scaruffi's big bad 9.5's, and an album I've revisited time and time again but never quite clicked for me for some reason. Here, it finally clicks. Not only are Wyatt's lyrics poetic and his vocals pretty, the way he utilizes his voice as another instrument in his insane compositions is awesome. Speaking of his compositions, they're just fantastic. The way he uses different synths, the song thats put in reversed but sounds forward, the touches of free jazz, its just fantastic. Although it may be my least favorite from Scaruffi's top 3, its still an excellent album I'll be revisiting time and time again.
3.5+

!!! TOURNEY ALERT !!! (o shit etc)

READ RULES BEFORE RECCING.

1. Your round 1 rec must be 23 mins or less. This can be an EP, a single, a short album or an LP side-sprawling song.

2. The first round is qualifications. 24 hrs from this post I will choose the 8 participants based on:
-amount I want to hear your rec
-daily seniority / trip (no literally brand new trips or anons)
-whether I banned you from entering
-if you do something retarded like change your rec or not read the rules
-if you're dogevillage
HOWEVER, if you make me a dope tourney image to use and I use it you automatically get in.

my RYM is ~Jangle_Bojangle

The Decemberists - The Tain
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the_decemberists/the_tain_f1/

disco inferno last dance ep

Track 1/side A from rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trad__gras_och_stenar/gardet_12_6_1970/

Is there any other trips here that make music that I'm unaware of? I'm thinking of doing two albums per trip unless there's more

Nice, finally i start a tourney with a solid recc

>Excel
lololol boy u wild xD

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/rolf_liebermann_george_gruntz/symphonie_les_echanges/

bstngc1999.bandcamp.com

Me, me, me:
ethanchandler.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-2

Follow-up in the works.

stay tuned

1999band.bandcamp.com/
agnf.bandcamp.com/
handlessman.bandcamp.com/

setsukoband.bandcamp.com/

"More!" they say.

>Harsh Toke / Joy / Sacri Monti - Burnout!
I gave this a listen because I knew Harsh Toke and I've dug everything I've heard from them, including the somewhat recent split EP with Earthless on which I might say they even outshone the masters carrying the heavy psych torch into the 21st century. Their debut album, Light Up and Live, was also pretty cool.

I have to say my expectations were outdone yet again, and Harsh Toke provided the weaker set of tunes here (two [2] Roky Erickson covers) while two bands I've never heard of brought the energy. "Your Time Ain't Long", an original by Joy and one of my favorite songs of the year so far is the clear highlight. Heavy psych should have this pervasive sense of a increasing tension and impending explosion that mirrors the confusion and intensity of a psychedelic come-up, and it's done well here with rolling drum fills, climbing bass lines, and reaching, fuzzed-out, feedback-saturated riffs until the peak is reached. Nothing else here compares.

6.5/10

>Karen Beth - The Joys of Life
I've been following this nice list for a dose of obscure early 1970s songwriters: rateyourmusic.com/...hback_magazine/

This one is of a slightly different variety in that it contains no psych whatsoever. It's somewhere in-between Linda Perhacs' Parallelograms and Vashti Bunyan's Just Another Diamond Day on the pleasant, never-in-your-face music scale. This is the sort of album that's designed to kind of pass you by without anything registering for the listener outside of pleasant repetitive melodies--it's fine and wispy and occasional moments grab you, like "Nothing Lasts" or the opener "It's All Over Now". Seemingly, this transitiveness is the aim, hence the titles. Good for morning coffee.

5.5/10

>Moby Grape - s/t
I keep coming back to this one out of some curiosity. Some more legends of Haight Ashbury that history has mostly forgotten about. Apparently these guys could shred live with the ranks of Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, and Jefferson Airplane over there, but so it goes, the raw energy is hardly translated at all in the studio. It's funny to know this fact coupled with how tame this album is. And then also that lead singer Skip Spence would soon after become a poster-boy acid casualty. With all this in mind, it's surprisingly the country rock-leaning tunes that are the best here--"Naked, If I Want To", "Sitting by the Window". The did write some nice, pleasant songs in The Byrds' style. Some of the acoustic hits from the follow-up are great too. Otherwise, I'm keen to check out live Moby Grape.

6/10

this is 23 mins (and 23 seconds don't kick me)
youtu.be/W5yOk9A7K6s
from
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mccoy_tyner/sahara/

Annexus Quam - Osmose III
here is a beautiful image

tourney image, right here

banned

i bet on me

Tongue, the first track on rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oren-ambarchi-johan-berthling/tongue-tied/

loser

>i cant read
>youre a loser

taylor deupree - snow (dusk, dawn)

read this:
loser

lol loser

@nyarl

mega.nz/#!INBxTApI!Qk9palZUJpSe7vbzdWZZd1CrYtnrRXn8WBw20bN40CE

but actually I've heard that album so pick something else pls
(reply to original post)

Here's what I got for /daily/ music

Technically room for 3 more, can replace Rodriguez and Eric's second albums if anyone else hasn't been included yet

Probably not the best but I like Johnny Goth, it's soothing

>Setsuko
fuckin' sicc I know one of the dudes in this from here

but he ain't a /daily/ mon, just collage

is one of the other band members on /daily/ or something

nyarl
mega.nz/#!LgMCDbCI!fRJw_WUOkYqyKDIpk_BLfMZs3dGYoAEAJohgpFoO6Fc

also, here's a /daily/ meme by me and oneothe:
seikatsufortheboys.bandcamp.com/

it's shit and a joke tho so idk if you're ok with that

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Infinity (CD Issue)
The first piece, “The Dead Flag Blues” features a spoken word part followed by around 10 minutes of perverse blues featuring only the guitars before the rest of the band joins in for the second and third movements.
I’d never noticed the VERY quiet humming/singing about 8 minutes 50 seconds into “East Hastings,” a track which sets the stage for many other Godspeed songs with its heavy use of, among other elements emblematic of their style such as tremolo picked guitars, crescendo. Crescendo returns on the 29 minute “Providence” following a middling call and response part between bass and guitar in the-let’s say second-movement. There’s a good few minutes of silence afterwards before an admittedly poor hidden track/outro.
4+

Papa John’s - Pure Comedy
Third album from post-post-ironic hipster Father John Misty decides to take the form of an exhaustive double LP based around various very shallow social critiques set to soft piano rock/pop that sounds a bit like Fleetwood Mac at times, but without the charm. He is actually good singer, but his lyrics and the “insights” within them are surface level at best, the shroud of irony does nothing to preserve his dignity. A very bland naturalist perspective taken by Tillman featuring scientistic views of humans and a poor attempt at relating to historic concepts. Of course, Tillman relays a vague self awareness on songs such as “Leaving LA,” among others, but that doesn’t exactly make it acceptable to be otherwise mediocre. In general, Tillman manages a few good lines and pieces of music per song, but feels the need to unnecessarily draw out every single point he makes both musically and lyrically throughout the album’s 74 minute run time.
Listen to the new Sun Kil Moon album instead if you want to hear the ramblings of “the oldest man in folk rock.”

youtu.be/QUgj94xGS3g
from
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sandy-bull/fantasias-for-guitar-and-banjo-2/

i fcuking LOVE mcnuggets

hell yeah, this looks good. are you starting soon or doing yr drone charts first?

celephase.bandcamp.com/
here's another one

Yup I play bass and second vocals in the band! The drummer is the dude you're talking about, really good friend of mine

I know I was banned from entering but I petition that you enter me with Terry Riley's piece "you're no good" on the basis that: 1. I have almost everybody here beat on seniority and 2.I painted you a pig that one time and 3. I am not dogevillage

We can do it after my drones and your tourney, to make it easier

yoooooo that's fuckin' sicc

Orchid (that's what I call him because of his trip here but I don't actually know his real name) is a cool dude

how'd you meet?

good release btw

okay den
The Savage Young Taterbug - Shadow Of Marlboro Man

Yeah and he's an amazing drummer, really mind-blowing desu

I work as a sound engineer and his band played a show and when I came down for the soundcheck I saw he had a Full Of Hell shirt and then we became friends

Thanks! We're working on a real release now

>I work as a sound engineer and his band played a show and when I came down for the soundcheck I saw he had a Full Of Hell shirt and then we became friends
oh yeah I still haven't listened to his metal project

should do sometime

should also listen to FoH cause he loves em if my memory serves me right
>Thanks! We're working on a real release now
hell yeah

relistening to the EP on YT now (only listened to it on BC but didn't download for some reason)

fuck, it's much better now that I like this kinda stuff more

gonna DL and look out for your next release my dude

Maybe not the right place to ask this. Looking for a song, fairly modern I think, that has "I [just] wanna love you tonight" in its lyrics. The genre is kind of pop-like I guess. I'm aware this isn't a lot to work with.

Just pick any pop song?

also, yeah Orchid is a man of nice drums

desu I didn't actually know he was a drum till you said but man, what a lad

also, one of the only few Asians I know from regular threads so hell yeah :^)

I know right?

can you be more vague?

Yea. The song is kind of popular I'm pretty sure

thanks mate

looking for recs for an 8 man tourney, eps only of techno, house, jungle, etc. As long as it's bleep i will take it
also if anyone would be so kind to give me a download link to the fishmans mixtape fisher made i would be pleased
rateyourmusic.com/~Hotel_Trivago

rateyourmusic.com/release/single/those-guys/love_-love_-love/

nvm that a single

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ital_tek/control/

italtek.bandcamp.com/album/control-2

i am unsure about this

thanks for supplying most of the reccs btw

hav you heard Colonized yet i dont remember
either way
Girl Unit - Wut

or actually Northern Lights by Cobblestone Jazz