As an atheist how do you cope the fact one day we will cease to exist I know I people say it'll be like before we were...

As an atheist how do you cope the fact one day we will cease to exist I know I people say it'll be like before we were born we won't know we are dead but that what scares me I know one day I'll die and never see love ones again , do the things I love to do, life is so beautiful and it sucks to know one day I'm just never going to experience this again

I just don't think about it

you are retarded

>Implying im scared of death
>implying i dont go to sleep hoping to never wake up again

OP: 0
user: 0

the good thing is you won't have an opportunity to miss anything after you're dead. you can't change it stop fearing and live for now. also don't join one those brainless fear of death cults, christianity muslim etc.

I just don't believe some guy in sky is really up there . There is to much evidence now in days that can basically disprove god.

you're looking at it in the wrong perspective...like...you'll miss life. you wont...you'll know/miss nothing...its only in this life, that you think you'll miss it when you're dead....stop worrying as it's just wasting your life away over nothing at all

You wont die OP. The technological singularity is coming.

We're gonna have robot bodies soon, that never die.

What we have here is a classic case of OP is a faggot. If you dont feel the constant crushing weight of your imminent demise slowly moving to meet you at all times then you should. Then just remove the cock from your mouth and accept that tidbit

I always shit there's so much crazy shit in the universe, who knows what happens when we die. We will all either find out or not

*say there's so much crazy shit

Drink drink drink

There is absolutely nothing that suggests that anything other than nothing happens.

Make a point

look into the toynbee theory. google toynbee tiles.

I'm saying there's so much we don't understand. If scientist can't agree that there's no life after death who am I to say there is or isn't

God is perfect, why did he create us and many other living creatures so poorly? For instance, we are vulnerable to many diseases, our bones break easily, and with age our bodies and minds break down.

Not to mention our poorly-made spines, inflexible knees, and pelvic bones that make childbirth difficult, wisdom teeth & and appendixes we don't need. Together, this biological evidence indicates that God does not exist .

Who is to say that underpants gnomes dont exist.

Nobody, but your a fucking idiot if you think that "well maybe.."

>atheist
There's been a lot of really good points already said here. Okay so here's the reality. I'm a hard line atheist and I believe that when we die, we just stop but I don't know that, I can't. The truth is you seemingly didn't exist for billion of years and then you did. We have no idea if death is eternal or not. That said in a way you are already dead in that you only exist in one place and don't exist in a infinite number of other place. I know it's strange but that idea helped me to visualize the nonexistence isn't a awful punishment or even a thing we can comprehend or experience at all.

God is that for which no greater can be conceived. And while God exists in the understanding of the concept, we could conceive of him as greater if he existed in reality. Therefore, he must exist.

Exactly, death is a great unknown no one can tell us what it holds

we're just another form of energy, constantly changing. if it makes you feel any better even when your consciousness dies someday the matter in your body will be part of trees, other people, animals and inevitably the stars themselves. that's pretty awesome.

You won't miss it because you'll be fucking dead. That's the beauty of it. So don't think too much about it.

except existence is greater than god because god could not exist with out it. check.

Theres no need for me to make a point, the point is theres no understanding until it is too late, and theres no proof that youll even understand then. Accept mortality, live with it, then die with it.

Just make sure that you devote 100% of your natural physical life to an unprovable, invisible SkyDaddy that grants you sentient immortality in a place called Heaven, somewhere.

It's a place of infinite happiness and wisdom, you only do the things you want to do, forever and ever. It is totally a real place and if you say otherwise, I'll fucking kill you cunt.

Believe in SkyDaddy! Live Forever!

>retardo

Also fuck you squiggly red line. Unprovable is a fucking word, fuck US English. Dickheads.

When you realize that each moment will never come again and you will forever be changing and complexifying, appreciation, and the realization of how sacred life is comes into view.
Death will come in an ordinary moment. But maybe we have to die so we may live.

Whenever this question comes up, I am always reminded of Thomas in the Bible who would not believe that Jesus was alive until he could touch Him. That is the same analogy many people use today when it comes to answering the question “Is there any proof that God exists?” They want physical proof for something that must be taken on faith value.

It takes greater faith to believe that an unseen God exists than it does to just dismiss Him because you cannot physically confirm that He is there. For those who deal in evidence there is proof all around you and inside of you that God does exist.

#OPHere
I was born with a heart condition and I'm basically at my final stage doctors said medicine and surgery aren't working anymore I'm 21 this suckz

that's basically completely wrong flawed logic.

Two options bud
1. Go out and do whatever the fuck you want

2. Devote your remaining time to God in the hope there's an afterlife

you failed to make a point there.

>For those who deal in evidence there is proof all around you and inside of you that God does exist.

That's the gayest shit i ever heard. You're a fucking retard, and a faggot.

although i do not fear dying, i still would rather not

Okay, if this was esoteric in nature then I would understand. But otherwise, no.

Prepare yourself for the voyage home brother! Clear your thetans and obey the word of our prophet Hubbard! Join the sea org while you still can and serve the true faith!

>life is beautiful

kek, not mine

woowoo! fuck that gay retard and his fear of death cult in his poohole!

I do go out but when I over think it hits my like a truck that I'll never see my Mum or friends that a truly love .

At least in life you can make decisions and change your predicaments. There's truth and beauty in that.

gosh it's almost like we should cherish everything while we can and not hope for better shit when we die. religion is a waste of life. the true sin.

I think you should live you remaining life doing whatever you want without caring if there's a god or not. If you want to play safe, make sure you have a good morality so if there's really a god, i bet he wouldn't give two fucks if you believe him or not if you're doing good things but if you don't give a fuck anymore, might as well get rid of limitation and do whatever

I just can't imagine my mum burying me , she worked so much to try to keep me alive , I basically ruined her life too

I'm a Christian I have wavered in faith sometimes. I firmly believe If god exist something of biblical proportions will happen soon due to the rapid drop in people believing in god

then do your best not to die before her. accept that when she goes that she lived a full life and did her best. its the best any of us can do.

Implying that we are able to understand the reasoning of beings which could be called "gods".

Not believing in an afterlife AND still being alive is a sign of weakness. You KNOW that you could solve ALL your problems just by killing yourself, but you are mentally not strong enough to overcome your instincts to stay alive.

Damn never heard this one before

Luckily the validity of the statement does not depend on that.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason you're afraid of death is because someone convinced you there was something to worry about?

I feel like if I grew up in a culture whose belief structures were benign or absent on the idea of an afterlife then this wouldn't even be a question.

but what if i dont have much problems and im doing just fine being alive, what then?

It is not the fear of dying and being gone forever, it is the fear of missing out on more or the anticipation that somehow good times will continue on for you but because you die they are lost to you.
If you live to be old and your friends and family die. What good times are you going to miss?
Diaper changes
Feed times
Senility
Being fragile
Insomnia
A zillion and one medications
Only the youth worry for death because there is more to life.
You are a captured frequency in physical form.
Your body emits energy
You run on electrolytes
You see and hear in waves
Waves pass through and touch you
The senses you live by could all actually be gone and physically your body could still be here.
Imagine what is here that we can't sense?
Life has auras. Gives off radiant heat that can't be seen.
You are a line through space, created by time which is infinite. Streaking across the known universe between 2 anniversaries....
Your physical birth and death.
A small conscious blip you call your life.
A blip in time is a pebble in water, you are infinite and nothing.
Life is a vision, nothing exists accept space and you, and you are but a thought.

that's..that's..retarded

I'm an atheist and remind myself often that life is short and you must enjoy life in the moment. I take solace in the fact that my dna lives on inside my children and so I "live" on through them and their children. My only fear is dying before I'm sure they will be ok in their adult lives.

"not much problems" is much more problems than "no problems at all".

> waaah, I won't be able to experience things anymore, because i'm not capable of experiencing
Once the later happens, why bother with the former?

Explain!

You don't cease to exist, you just become a bunch of other shit.

We were all once part of one thing and eventually will become everything again. What the fuck do you think happens to the cells on your arm when you scratch it?

They fly off and land on other shit.

Most "atheists" are just edgelords. When they fully grasp the reality on their death bed, the fear alone will make them believe in a god.

Shut up, Rust.

Exactly! If there's nothing after your death, you don't even experience the unhappiness about not being happy, you won't even feel the abscence of feeling good.

Nope!

Then just enjoy this little blip of feels instead of cutting it short regardless of believe.

Season 2 sucked

I mean, sure, if they're a fucking coward

An assortment of ingredients is not a meal.

I honestly don't know which TV series you have in mind.

Why? It's not like you're going to miss it once you're gone.

Just because you can't stomach it doesn't mean it's not delicious to palates more sophisticated.

Also a "assortment of ingredients" is the reason were sitting here discussing philosophy and reading incest stories.

We're a fucking primordial assortment of ingredients that evolved to the point of arguing about where we came from and what happens next.

Foh.

As someone who hates everybody I see, I look forward to the eternal silence.

Sure, but might as well take the free sample even if I can't afford to buy the product.

When you come to old age, you kinda accept dying I think, unless you have unresolved issues of some sort that makes you scared of going.

I think when you lived long enough and seen and done it all it kinda comes naturally-like "I'm ready to go"

Also, when it comes to death noone really knows.

We don't even know why we are alive to begin with yet.

Well, as for an atheist myself I don't think about heaven or hell. Death is death and that's final.

True detective.

One of the detectives goes on a rant about how the courageous thing to do is to stop fucking and let humanity die out, and that he would commit suicide but lacks the constitution for it.

Pretty gay.

user here again, ofc it will suck dying maybe it won't for sure it will suck never to be able to do all the fun things in life again.

I think I'm more sad of the fact that my mum one day will die , she bust her ass off every day working 10+ hr caring for 4kids , and we all treat her like shit , I'm starting to realize that fuck I have done some damage to my Mum, I tell her I love her everyday now . I wish there was a heaven she really deserves to go there just like probably your mum or any other Mum in this world.

theres mah Sup Forums

>When you realize there's nothing after death you learn to truly value life.
>Being an atheist makes the pursuit of happiness your lifes goal.
>Don't have to waste your life banking up imaginary points to get into the after life.

Atheists don't hate religious people we pity them. Your life is the ultimate gift the universe will ever give you. It should be celebrated. The fact billions of people waste so much time on religion is the biggest tragedy in human existence imo. Realizing this has made me so content/chilled out its unreal.

Look up astral projection. People who have conscious out-of-body experiences tend to lose their fear of death.

Yeah, things are tricky when it comes to parents.

You better be wise in life or things like this comes back and bites you right on the ass.

I've also done this sometimes, but then guilt has hunted me down. Just think about all the guilt that would hit you if she died and you had been treating her like shit and no chance to do good.

Holy hell, that thought can get you on the right track.

This.

Fear of death is natural. If you're not living this life like it's the only one you've got, you're not truly living. It's why religions have to add on so much sin and punishment baggage you get people to work and behave even when they're promised eternal life.

You have already died. Well, not you, but an iteration of you. Everytime you lose consciousnes is kinda like being dead, and every time you wake up, it is just a copy/simulation of who you were. It feels like you are the same person because of continuity and memories, but you are another iteration of the same patterns, but not the exact same patterns.

So worry not and go to sleep.

"Evolved" is the important point here! That means we didn't exist before, but sth. else did. And when we devolve after death, sth. else will exist, too, but not we.

But the sample isn't free! It goes with a lot of labor, duty, responsibility, pain, suffering etc.

Well, at least his conclusions about the world and himself are not that delusional as that of a lot of others.

>every time you wake up, it is just a copy/simulation of who you were

fuck no
not me again

I'm pretty sure 'evolved' was not only meant for the time of growing up, but human evolution.
We do not devolve after death, we decompose.

it just doesn't matter to me. i embrace the abyss of the unknown.

I was born with a disease that causes complications daily and will likely kill me one day. For me, faith is driven by questions I can't answer. History and Scientific research has answered most of my questions about things that partain to god/s and their nature. I have absolutely no faith in any supernatural existence. I do believe that after my death my conscious self will end as the brain dies, and eventually decays beyond repair. My body will decompose eventually and be broken up into cells, molecules, and atoms to become part of the earth and the things that grow out of, and on it.

This is the most terrifying shit I could possibly think of. The huge and unnerving question of, "What the fuck is the point of this life?" Is unrelenting in its emergency. I couldn't stop thinking this question over while I was working through a serious depression for a year or so. what helped me get past that period was the idea that the greatest thing we can do, as one person, is to work to influence human culture for the better. If we can't do that then it is still a valuable life to work to create the best environment and relationships with your friends and family or at least with yourself.

It's not the best answer because I'm still dead after all my life's work and I'm not taking anything with me because "me" won't exist. Even if I am perfect to those around me and my family loves me then at best I have 4 or 5 generations before I am forgotten. Yes my genetic information will live on, but that hardly means shit because we have already completed the basic goals of evolution in being a self sufficient dominant species of the entire planet. Plus I have a shitty disease to pass on. I will have to accept all that with my death. What I want the rest of my life to be dedicated to is creating a better culture around me. My family, friends, city, state, or however much i can so. That will echo longer than anything else I can think of.

Still the whole is different from it's parts. So, if you die, your atoms keep going, but YOU don't, right?

Not the same user, but gonna play devil's advocate. If we assume consciousness is a fundamental property of systems/universe (panpsychism), which is supported by the most promising theory regarding the hard problem of consciousness (integrated information theory), then there is an afterlife in the form of a really different form of consciousness (and a less complex one), nothing like the one we have (and arguably not even us).

It is ok. You only have to endure it one day. The next iteration will have it harder.

What are you waiting for then?

Think about this. If we get a theory of everything, we could simulate a subset of the universe, and that includes your brain and therefore consciousness. Even if we do not arrive to a ToE, we could still try to simulate your mind.

Try to avoid death. That is the game.

Seems to me that is at best an evolution, at worse and constant state of being that you can not manipulate.
Doesn't sound like you're devolving, maybe changing?

Depends, i'd argue you can split your personality from your body and feed it into an AI.
Hence your body would die, the personality in the state it was during transfer would survive. Now you could argue that it will develop into a new personality. But my point is, that it seems to me there is no missing part in the sum of a human, we don't know about.

The afterlife.

The computer you're fed into would be sth. different than the pile of electronics if was built of. You would kind of just have a different body.

Of course it would be something.
But it would be vastly different from your original body. Hence, if you'd be able to be transfered and exist as an AI.
That would show, the human body is just a vessel and has no relevance on your awarness, other than it being the interface between you and the 'real' world.

Ahh so You're only sticking around bc you think you're not allowed to leave, lest you'd be punished. While I actually enjoy the experience all around.

I thought there was some fallacy behind your kind of believe. You think god favors ppl who only followed the rules bc they fear the consequences?

Top kek.