Anyone know what big in the underground rock scene? Do you think it will get big?

Anyone know what big in the underground rock scene? Do you think it will get big?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ovq9UsNTjYk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

bumperino.

>tfw it's not just you with failing threads
yet shitposting threads have hundreds of replies.

>tfw you post an actual good topic
>no one bothers answering

Your thread is failing, exactly like the underground rock scene.

Almost all the bands where I live are 'queercore' or punk garbage. There is the occasional emo band, but not as many as there used to be a few years ago. Then again I live in a pretty shit city far away from most major scenes, so whatever.

Stupid progressive shit (fuck the music we got a "message") because most people playing that kind of music are university types
Until all progressive/hipster shits are tar & feathered, it won't get bigger

Wasn't it like that since the 90s? or are you saying it's somehow worse?

Every thread on here is uninteresting shit.

Libs & progressives are two different things. And no because they were (more or less) doing new shit in the 90s

It's gotten worse in the current political climate. It's all trust fund kids trying to be as 'progressive' as possible while only appealing and virtue signaling to other hipsters. And the music isn't that good either. Most of them don't have much stage presence either and just have boring shows. A few of them even rant about making the shows safe spaces.

as an underground musician, this is way more true than I'd like to admit

of course there are still tons of bands doing awesome stuff, but there's also a shitton of artists who are making boring music that still get acclaim

a lot of it seems to be that DIY and social justice are very much linked, and the artists who rise to the top are the ones who appeal the most to that audience. Many of them have really shitty stage presence and make music that is in my opinion pretty boring.

I say this as a guy who is totally down for trans rights and all that good shit, but I would also say that by being tied so close to politics, a lot of artists shield themselves from any criticism. The underground scene becomes a hugbox, not just tolerating mediocrity but actively praising it.

what really drives me nuts is when people complain that the scene is too many wealthy white people, but they bar anyone who doesn't fit the typical "indie kid" stereotype from entering

smdh

oh well, I bet at least all those Palehound and Mitski fans are having more fun than I am

Any horror stories you'd like to share?

>he underground scene becomes a hugbox, not just tolerating mediocrity but actively praising it.
Fuck...This isn't what I was hoping for :(
Got any stories to share? If you like, of course.

meal

The rock scene is very small because the people that would play rock are now sheltered NEETs in a society where you can't accomplish anything if you're not skilled at socializing. Same reason why metal is in a rut. No involvement or interest in entering the media machine.

Not going to get too into detail about my own scene (baltimore) for fear of exposing myself

but I mean just look at who the top indie rock artists of today are compared to who was dominating in the 1990s.

there's absolutely no danger in rock music anymore, people have lost touch with what made it exciting in the first place

when the goal of the artist is to be accepted and loved by the audience, they will absolutely never be able to take risks, and will therefore never make interesting music

Just look at an artist like Smog, and his albums from the late 90s. Songs like All Your Women Things could get you banned from playing certain venues today because they paint the artist as a possibly hurtful man. What really gets me though, is that the search for a "perfect" artist is not one that results in good art. The most interesting musicians are the ones who genuinely are very flawed and fucked up people, and who aren't afraid to show that on stage. And in a world where rock music isn't allowed to be dangerous and fucked up anymore, those interesting artists are going to be crafting something else.

now, im not saying that those who have genuinely hurt should be championed, but the DIY scene in many cities is a sinking ship partially because anything that really takes risks would be ostracized

wat

delet

>there's absolutely no danger in rock music anymore, people have lost touch with what made it exciting in the first place

That is what I feared. People playing too safe and not trying to at least shock the audience.

also I would say that though there are still great bands, they're becoming more and more niche. there really aren't many truly *great* artists who are recognized over the entirety of the scene coast to coast.

just take a look at the biggest rock releases of the past couple years, and then compare them to the biggest releases from 20 years ago

Car Seat Headrest is not making a record like Perfect From Now On; and Frankie Cosmos is not making a record as good as Dots and Loops

Nothing but good points in here. Thanks for the read best of luck with what you got going on

yeah I've seen way too many fey and coy performances from rock bands. trying to shock the audience would involve taking a risk, and so many bands these days are too sacred to risk anything more than mumbling into a mic and standing perfectly still with their jazzmaster up on their chest

I'm guessing you're forced to play sterile music in order to not get banned or ostracized. Sad times we live in.

>This
No one has the time nor money to be doing it for the "music".
It's literally well connected or rich kids.
It all comes down to our economy( lets be real laptops are way less expensive and easier to make music.)
Also, rock is dead within the mainstream, unless it's coffee shop core/Soccer mom core.
Also, one last thing. If rock is gonna make at least one more huge band/artist.
That artist will most likely not be white at all.
It's either going to be a black/mexican/asian, etc.

I've basically hijacked this thread for my own rant right now, hoping I had a captive audience for it!

let me know if you want more details / opinions from someone in a scene

How do other people in the scene feel? Do they realize it's all boring and lame, or are they truly disillusioned? What about your own band mates?

Why does no one care to write actual unique songs with choruses.
I'm not saying make everysong for radio and all that bullshit, but like come on.
every song sounds like the same fucking chord progression, arpeggios, and what not.

Do you think now is the perfect climate for a loud aggressive rock band to come through like Nirvana or the Sex Pistols? I really hope rock doesn't go out with a whisper like this. Nostalgia is pretty big right now, so even if a band is a Nirvana knockoff, they could probably make it if they are good. I know Dave Grohl said something like that a few years ago, but I know a lot of people here don't think too highly of him.

>I only know radio rock and Sup Forumscore: the post

Similar to what another person asked, do you feel like are forced to play "safe" music in order to get more attention in the underground?

Fuck revivalism seriously.
I hate death grips, but if anything i really hope some band takes inspiration from them and actually writes good songs.

depends heavily on who you're talking to

a lot of people really enjoy it for the subculture aspect in that they have a place that they feel they belong. which is honestly nice to see, and Im glad that these people have this.

many people are assholes in the scene who encourage it to be exclusive and actively "police" it, which is fucking ridiculous for many reasons i.e. who decided that these people are suddenly the gatekeepers of social issues

I've played with many different musicians and it varies. Older musicians generally don't seem to give a shit, maybe because they entered before identity politics really took over so it affects them less.

Younger people I've played with have been either as frustrated as I am. Many of my friends don't agree with the exclusivity of DIY music scenes, and don't like how people who frame themselves as accepting and open minded are the same ones who are decided who is and isn't allowed at shows.

For reference I am totally for politics in music and for people of different backgrounds represented, but all of that will never happen unless people *come together*, and implicit in that is going to be some friction. But, it's the only way to make truly open and honest spaces of expression.

Go fuck yourself

All the people i know in my area are in in progressive Djent bands with very pretentious names, I.E "The fall of us" "Hello Euphoria" "To venture forth" I.E to name a few.

What advice do you have for someone about to start their music career?

its funny, because stylistically I would say that most things are accepted, but even then there's a bubble in which people place themselves

Ive seen too many "noise" artists who play their "experimental" sets and then all the hipsters in the basement venue put their fucking tallboys on the floor to clap, because it would be fucking scene suicide to imply that maybe these experimental artists aren't very good

I would say that there's a lot of lyrical themes that I would absolutely never touch. I know artists who have been dropped from shows because of the content of their lyrics.

I don't think so. Or, it wouldn't be straight rock/punk like those bands. Rappers are the ones who are loud and aggressive and angsty now, I don't see a demographic that isn't being filled.

Yeah, you're right. The whole post-punk/garage rock revival from the early 00s did produce some good music, but very few innovations. I mostly prefer the original stuff that inspired them anyways. I guess I just want aggressive and loud music to make a comeback, but I'm not creative enough myself to think of a new way it could happen.

youtube.com/watch?v=ovq9UsNTjYk

Don't take yourself too seriously.

Listen to absolutely everything you can.

Try to make music that's going to be worth listening to 20-40-60 years from now.

Honestly just have fun and enjoy yourself, for all of my bitching Im still active because I absolutely love music and I love playing it, embrace every show you play and every song you record because these are going to be your most cherished memories.

oh and also, play your guitar down low, don't keep it up high. That shit kills your stage presence.

You better not play guitar if you ever hope to be in a band, 99% of "musicians" you will meet won't be serious, you better not be hoping to get famous as well.

oh and a stephen malkmus quote

"being memorable is more important than being good"

You better not play guitar if you ever hope to be in a band
Wait, are you saying that guitar is dead in the underground?

Well thank god i can play guitar, bass, piano, drums, and sing.

im the OG Underground poster and this guy is being dumb. Though I will say that there are more guitar players than anything else so diversifying is nice

I don't want to sound pretentious, but i really wanna change the direction of music within the mainstream.
I'm don't if i become famous or not.
I just want to inspire a lot of people to you know make better music, because as of right now.
Everything within guitar based music or rock just seems bland and uninspired.
and the only way to make a huge change like that is mainstream.

And how are you gonna do that?

What's the new sound? The new style? What can be done with guitar, drum and bass that hasn't already been done?

Not trying to be patronizing, I'm genuinely curious.

Well I don't know how i'd describe it, but i do have a song that i'm working on that has synths similar to modern hip-hop, live drums, drum programming, chopped up vocal samples of myself, also singing, and a guitar solo.
pretty much death grips set up, but to me it sounds different.
as of right now i'm having trouble actually getting around to finishing it due to life.
I'm just playing around with different ideas that i'd think would go really good together.

>what big in the underground rock scene

Shitty bands playing stuff that was popular anywhere from 1 to 4 decades ago. Absolutely nothing fresh or interesting.

Don't give up. Ambition is never a bad thing no matter how ridiculous the goal.

Honestly, it hurts me that i think about this 24/7.
I really wanna see it happen because even though i love creating music, i love being a fan of it way more.

Do you have any other horror/comfy stories to share?

this thread was prettty kool

I'll have to agree with this user.
Any band that goes by the norm already gets a shield from criticism, for example, if a band openly says they're anti-trump, most youngsters will see them as heroes because Trump it's le ebil kkk man to them.
Same for the ones who are pro trans rights and such are "the good guys, they can do nothing wrong, right?"because being pro something that was controversial 20 years in the past nowadays it's a way to virtue signalling to others, yet they use them as masks for their actual persona that doesn't really care about it (To quote some black dude from Sup Forums "I'm ok with you people calling me nigger, I'm glad at least you're honest with yourselves, most of the liberals nowadays would call me a coon or an uncle tom for holding views agaisn't them")
With this status, anyone going agaisn't them it's probably a "bad guy" but not agaisn't their views, but their work, wich in most cases isn't that great.
What a time to be alive, where your political views give a shield or a gun from each side on every argument.

This type of shit makes me angry. Not only is it killing rock, it's keeping people from truly being themselves and be creative as a result.

Alot of Tame Impala clones. I'm from south Brazil, but I heard basically the whole brazilian underground scene is like that, alot of Tropicalia revival bands too. I heard aswell that the Natal (a city from the north) rock movement is pretty good right now, but I didn't hear anything yet

screamo / screaming on music tracks is on its way out I've heard, which is good news to me, people in the future are probably gonna look back and cringe on it like disco

To be fair, some bands can pull it off.

This really makes me appreciatte assholes in the rock scene, they had a fucking personality that made them someone interesting apart from their great work, they were themselves on stage.
That's why people like Kurt Cobain took the 90's and shaped them to their likings, they just didn't give a shit about what the people listening to them though about them, but their music.
Ironically enough, the same kind of people that praise these famous rock and pop stars who claim to be "Agaisn't the norm" are too affraid to step a little bit too close to the "My friends won't like me if I say this" square, fuck you can't even say that you're disgusted by gay people kissing because you'll be called a homophobe or say you are some backwards bigot.
I find it weird that when rock was alive saying gay marriage was ok was controversial, yet saying it's not ok it's controversial nowadays
I feel the tables turned the other way for now, the new edgy, actually agaisn't the norm of political correctness band will have conservatives views and express them in stage
All I hope for is that they don't use their views as a selling point.

It makes me wonder where these "Against the norm" people with conservative views are going to appear? If they ever appear, that is. Most of the underground scene is filled with sjw cucks who police people. What places will these edgy types grow? Because with Trump in office, I feel there is just going to be more "fuck the government/president" type "rock bands" with virtue signalling up the ass.

>Do you think now is the perfect climate for a loud aggressive rock band to come through

never going to happen pal

d-don't say that :'(

I'm with him because let's be real the youth don't want rock they want xxxtentacion.

Ya know whats tough? Finding a decent drummer. Everyone one plays guitar

First wave post rock was the last epic attempt of making interesting music that literally challenged all the things people here are complaining about without it coming across as forced commercial hug box image.

Gybe