Just passed C++ course 8 / 10

Just passed C++ course 8 / 10
ask me anything

Other urls found in this thread:

sfml-dev.org
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you are still a noob to c++ related topics so please stop pretending the uber pro

I am good!

no you arent, developing in c++ is much more than passing a college course with 8 / 10

Learn C#, there's no need to waste your time on grinding syntax

Courses, tests and lectures on programming don't make you a good programmer.
Experience does.
Fuck off.

How long was course? Was it online? What are you going to do now? Do you know where Jade Logue is?

what do i do now?
yes, i'll think about it, i am still not professional enough with c++
teach me
university course, 4 months C and 4 months C++

c++ is mainly for heavy task where performance is critical, like game engines or simulations

first of all, for programming in C++ you should forget most functions of C since they are to unsafe to use, secondly you should start to make a project in C++ for getting experience

yes, c++ is all about efficiency.

Now that I know most of the things that are in standard of c++, from STL, generic programming, algorithms, OOP, dynamic allocation to you name it.

Having this said I don't actually know to use these things properly. I've used them only in console.

Have been interested in game programming, but tbh i got no idea where to start.

I thought about learning graphics libraries, but don't know if thats the right way to go?
or should i go with already made game engines like unity?

I don't mix C and C++. Learning C is a good way to get to know how things really work under the hood

I guarantee you that you don't know shit about objects until you actually take a specialized data structures course

yeah, sorry for assuming that, but most people who learn C before C++ are mixing both languages together which results in awfull code

check ouf sfml-dev.org for an easy to use multimedia library (2d, sound and much more), which you could use for creating a game, just in case you are interested in game development of course

Well I understand them very well!
Thanks, this is useful, what kind of games can be created with this library, only 2D ?

Can you implement a basic Diffie Hellmann key generating algorithm?

only 2d, but trust me, 2d is enough for the beginning

im self learning c++, what book do you recomend, OP?

I've got no idea what that is xD
I meant more like algorithm library in C++ :D
Not making actual algorithms, I guess you were right, i dont know shit

Alright I'll be modest and attempt to make a snake game xD
Can recommend any tutorials, books or something similar?

I didn't go by the book, I followed university materials (maybe like 400 pages), did simple project and used internet to expand my knowledge oh and asked stack overflow when i encountered problems :^)

i think there are plenty of books for sfml (check out their website, they are referencing them somewhere) but for your first steps the tutorials should be sufficient

Unreal Engine is a very good engine and you can use c++ there although I would reccommend that in the beginning you use the blueprint visual programming language until you actually understand how the engine works because it allows for much faster prototyping of smaller things and it has most of the functionality that c++ has that your are going to need. Unity is is also a good engine and there you can use c# which is good too because compilation time is fast (unlike c++ in Unreal). I suggest using a ready engine because you don't have to reinvent some of the stuff from the beginning (of course here you have to take into consideration how simple/complex your game will be). Which engine you choose depends on personal preference but if you are going to focus more on programming then I think Unity would be better for you because it's marketplace offers tons of art assets and a lot of them are free (while the Unreal one has barely any free art assets).

ye i use stackoverflow too (the chat) and ive learned alot from there

dude he wants so learn to use programming languages properly not how to script a game by using some shitty engine

Unity is a great engine, very very powerful, but I am that type of person who doesn't like taking things the easy way. Unity is very powerful, but it won't teach me a lot. I would be willing to work in unreal when I learn how things work...
Stack overflow is great, however, not really beginner friendly, many toxic down-voters...
Unreal engine is far from shit, but i would like to make something from "scratch" before using someones engine.
Other than that, I fully agree with you brother :D

I meant unreal, typing mistake :p

I would not have mentioned it if he did not mention it in his own post. Learn to read.