Hmmm why did WoW fail?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9MNFWhCw8dg
youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
everquest2.com/home
youtube.com/watch?v=EzT8UzO1zGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they listened to the players

I think legions doing pretty well. Loving ToS. Bi-weekly raid nights shitting and giggling with guildies. Doesn't get much better than that.

because they keep releasing content you can't play until the next week, which is just a short quest of do this or that which you stopped doing last week because it it wasn't worth doing to begin with

By what measure has WoW failed?
Do you know how much money Blizzard has made from it?
Its a shitty game, yes, but it never failed.

Didn't fail just got boring after the 3rd or 4th expansion. Lame ideas and samey raid bosses.

It hasn't failed financially, but failed in the sense that it never made the experience very enjoyable once you get burned out from the horrible repetitiveness and boring combat

>Initial release date: November 23, 2004
>Longest running paid MMO

they make hundreds of millions of dollars annually off of this game despite it's drop off in player base and genre relevance. WTF do you mean by 'fail'?

This sums it up perfectly.
youtube.com/watch?v=9MNFWhCw8dg

This.
Though I think you mean twice weekly.
What a cunt Maiden is, right?

All good things die when you milk it enough. WoW died alongside Arthas, Legion is the worst xpac yet.

All the people that made it up to LK were let go once the game made Blizzard a fortune.

Typical modern business bullshit.

obviously not financially stupid

They completely casualized it, made quest indicators on the map rather than just making you explore with vague directions
"Level 100 Character Boost Instantly"
The entire idea of raidfinder destroyed the need for community in the game. Instead of actually meeting people in game and forming relationships, you just queue up and jump into a raid in 5 minutes
HP is now so ridiculous that 1v1 fights last absurd amounts of time and can rarely be closed out
Talent system used to be completely customizeable with dual spec'ing, downward spiral started in WotLK where you had to finish a talent tree before starting another tree, finally killed it by streamlining for a 12yo fanbase. Very little thought required
Gear that changes stats based on what talents you currently have
Beating old raid/story concepts to death
Heroic dungeons becoming a joke after BC
Cata - Look at THE BARRENS! This zone you'll never explore b/c you're already max level
The last half decent expansion was Wrath, and even that showed the early signs of WoW just becoming a shilled game, especially after they said Cata would be their last expansion

Garrisons

>le ded gaem meme
Fuck off

>Do you know how much money Blizzard has made from it?
Do you... i'm guessing your implication that WoW still pulls in truck loads of money was pulled right out from your ass

What is your opinion on this opinion based talk about opinion things related some what to wow.
fucking summer fags

Oh also why the fuck were the worgen with the Alliance? Made zero sense. Night elves persecuted them like crazy in old lore. Also no reason for goblins to be a horde race other than "horde needs gnomes too guize"

>They completely casualized it, made quest indicators on the map rather than just making you explore with vague directions
But they do make you explore. You want Pathfinder so you can fly, don't you?
>"Level 100 Character Boost Instantly"
Being able to jump to the active content. What a shame.
>The entire idea of raidfinder destroyed the need for community in the game. Instead of actually meeting people in game and forming relationships, you just queue up and jump into a raid in 5 minutes
If someone uses lfr as a serious level of gameplay they deserve the hate from the Warcraft hatedom
>Talent system used to be completely customizeable with dual spec'ing, downward spiral started in WotLK where you had to finish a talent tree before starting another tree, finally killed it by streamlining for a 12yo fanbase. Very little thought required
The old talent trees have the thickest nostalgia goggles over them. Modern talents are designed to be meaningful impacts to gameplay style
>Gear that changes stats based on what talents you currently have
That doesn't happpen. Unless you mean spec then yes applicable gear swaps str/agi/int
>Heroic dungeons becoming a joke after BC
Then do higher level content.

Ability pruning and character feel.

The game failed because it sells itself as an mmorpg when in reality it's more a dance-dance-revolution type of game than anything else.

It's combat is dull, and the entire game revolves around gearing up. Your only objective is to keep your gear updated to the current tier, and execute perfect sequences of buttons while moving slightly back and forth to avoid being damaged.

The game became stupid and it stopped being an MMORPG a while ago. That's the only reason it died.

Casuals were a mistake.

If you are going to critizise a game, make sure you have played it at the current state. You obviously do not play at the moment since almost all of the issues you are complaining about have been fixed

I think it was a success. I'm not one for RPG games, but this one was enjoyable, and the best RPG game I have ever played. I played it non stop all the way to Myst of Pandaria before I got bored and had to take a break.

Came back for a year with Warlords of Draenor but got bored and left. Legion held my interest for six months.

After spending a lot of time in the game I'm looking for new experiances and other games to play. I also got married, bought a house, got a good paying but very stressful and demanding job. All of this cuts into the game time.

Right now I play a lot of Heros of the Storm and and a little bit of Overwatch. These are games where you can get in, spend an hour or two, and move on to other real life stuff that needs to be done.....cut the grass, wash the car, cook dinner with the wife....etc. I imagine its a lot like this for a lot of people who played the game since vanilla and TBC.

I guess my tl;dr is that vanilla/BC made you work for shit. They were hard. Doing things actually gave a sense of accomplishment. Now it doesn't. Just my opinion though lol

Dubs spoke. The game doesn't suck you guys do.

Run mythic +15s and 3 chest

Run mythic ToS and let me know how far you get.

The gameplay you want is still there. They just added LFR for people who suck or couldn't make friends.

7 years after a beloved game got turned into liquid shit and these faggots still exist.

>I guess my tl;dr is that vanilla/BC made you work for shit. They were hard.
Because they were new frontier and no one knew how to make an MMORPG so everything was ass backwards

Ummm... Really, WoW didn't fail. The game has lasted 13 years. Sold 14 million copies and still has a few million active subscribers...

Honestly, nothing lasts forever, but WoW has lasted longer than most.

And what was hard about vanilla or BC other than getting 40 players online. I assure you Mythic TOS shits on all the vanilla Bc raids. And mythic +15 is way harder than any 5 mans from those days.

I think it needs a hard reboot. Completely new game with a new story.

takes longer doesn't mean harder

Agreed.

I know youre just trying to get lulz with edgy comments but a little perspective

Lets say 5mil subscribers a month which im sure is lower than there is, at $15 a month

75million a month

Not counting the amount of expansions and tokens people buy, name/server change/store shit etc

Because of the players

Not possible, all the good devs are long gone and the actiblizzard business model is appeal to retards with the least effort possible.

Vanilla and TBC were a once in a lifetime experience.

I guess that's what I enjoyed about the game. Parts of it almost felt janky and unpolished, which I really enjoy in a solid RP setting. And it wasn't just the endgame that was difficult. Getting to max level was hard. When you got a quest you didn't know exactly where to go. You didn't just learn spells automatically on leveling, sometimes you had to choose which ones you needed most based on how much money you had.
Plus 40 fucking man raids lol. AQ 40 was like the most fun I've ever had in an MMO just because of the sheer clusterfuckery.
I've tried the game a few times in the last few years and can just never get into it as much as I used to. Glad people still enjoy it though

I think it's because mmorpg failed in general.. now people plays faster games like hearthstone, overwatch, LoL.. there is a lot less grinding and matches are faster (no need to be in guilds set up large groups etc.)
This is also why blizz is not investing in a WoW2 or another mmorpg, but just using wow as a cash cow. The time for these kind of game is gone

I agree. Looking for group ruined it for me. It cut out a big reason for running with a guild, and lost the sense of community. I was a player since Vanilla, loved BC, Wrath was ok, they lost me during Panda. End game content tank. I gave the many hours of my life and lots of cash over the years. Can't stand how you might not even run WC before you level out of it, compared to running it for weeks. No regrets, but done.

Not true at all.

This can be said with every good game ever made. Shit argument.
Whether its everquest or whatever mmo you were into, it'll never be the same as the first time you play something

Vanilla - Groundbreaking when first released, based on a popular existing franchise. Cartoony appeal and light themes.
Burning Crusade - New mechanics abound, combat and traversing. New boss and dungeon mechanics, open and accessible environments.
WOTLK - was pretty good although I found more of the fights to be even more repetitive.
Content felt it was being released haphazardly. Started cutting back on previously added mechanics.
Cata - into the trash
Mist - why are you still playing wow
warlords - lol

>AQ 40 was like the most fun I've ever had
Either you didnt play wow and are bullshitting
Either you played it during wrath on a private server.
Or you're just a retard.
>waiting 2 hours for everyone to show up
>fighting 30s of lag on every fight cause servers were not made for 40 people at once
>keeping out of combat healers out of combat
>spending 10 minutes getting everyone prepared on every fucking pull

Nah nigger,take those rose colored glasses off

I mean, I'm enjoying it and all but realistically how much longer can this go on for?
We're literally going to space in a few months. Where to after that?
Only plot threads I can think of right now are some Zandalari and Naga in the Southern Isles.

>Parts of it almost felt janky and unpolished, which I really enjoy in a solid RP setting.
"it was shit and we liked it" is almost a mandatory stance when talking vanilla and I can respect it.

Gone the way of the RTS

No king rules forever...

but hes right though. blizzard took the crown long ago.

FFXI came out years before wow and is still p2p. People will pay money for their own enjoyment if they want to

i had fun with aq aswell, not so much the npc fights though.

Warcraft didn't fail
Just like with most games modding and original content was just more desirable.

Private servers are really popular. Warcraft is one of the most popular games in Europe and Asia still. It's not dead or failed, you just gotta get away from Blizzard and find a good community

I played wow last month, i didn't play since 2010 before that. And to be fair, the game is pretty good,
i had fun leveling (i wanted to level because Cataclysm changed everything instead of going full insta 100), it kinda felt rushed though (once you find a group to rush dungeon, you usually get one level every dungeon that last 15 min), i never felt bored leveling ( i kinda regret the fact that there wasn't any pvp battleground before the level 100-110.

Once level 110, that was still nice, leveling your pvp rank, one thing super awesome is that there's no resillience anymore, (how much i hated that thing), i was level 880 but i had to stop ( life and all...), prolly gonna play it this winter. ( The mythic are pretty cool too, i'm sad i had to stop before playing those more, i kinda felt the feeling you had back in the days.

One last thing, the gear is awesome, the fact that it changes with your spec is really nice, (i played paladin) and i was happy to know that my holy gear in pve, would be at least useful while you quest in ret, and that you can still tank if it is needed in dungeon.

The idea with the weapon are pretty cool too, you have fun making it better and better.

Transmo is awesome too, (finally you don't have to look like everyone else) except if you're lame and you think you will look awesome in T2 pal)

i'll probably play it again, to think Wow Failed is stupid, it changed but i wouldn't say, it is bad.

is it failing?! Is there news I haven't heard? I quit a few years ago, before WoD came out. What's going on?!

Totally agree. The MMO age has come to an end.

Look at all the mmorpg being released now they all suck and get very few players (eso, all the other rpg launched from china and korea..) because rpg are too time consuming nowadays, the fun part when you actually tackle the content is like 10% of the time, 90% is jumping aroundin ogrimmar... they keep up wow for the fanboys, as soon as it will turn unprofitable they will cut the business and focus on the new games

Maiden is pretty simple fam, just Thad mechanics. KJ is the only thing that's annoying.

I played EQ, AO and EnB before WoW, I couldn't care less about those. Blizz had the perfect team for WoW and let them go when they wanted to renew their contracts with a well deserved massive raise.

Without them, a real WoW 2 is not even remotely possible.

>Longest running paid MMO
Try again, nigger.
>Everquest
>March 16, 1999 - now

um hes not right
1 dev left and hes now the vp of blizzard and lead of ow

The 10 minute enrage is bullshit,he wastes most of the fight with a 99% damage debuff yet spends 3-4 minutes up in the air undamage able throwing bullshit mechanics.

Oh you dont have 2 warrior or paladin tanks? 3 mage,hunter,or paladin dps?
FUCK YOU cant do the soaking mechanic

Of course I'm not saying wow is a fail,it's surely the most succesful game ever, and will get people to pay for it until the last fanboy gives up... the point is that player are leaving for different games not for different mmorpg... it's not wow ending its life, it's mmorpgs

You clearly don't understand the concept of 'opinion' do you?
Also I think your modem might have just been a potato if the lag was that bad

WoW is crazily popular in Scandinavian countries.

M+ ruined the xpac for me imo. Not to mention they cracked down on people who made a lot of irl cash from the game.

I was part of a small grp of friends who sold challenge modes/raid boosts and pilots thru websites and such. Paid for my college. Not gonna play a game if I can't use my skill to make me money.

It fucking lags now in 20 man mythic.
The fucking servers will cannot handle all the burst spells from 20 people.

Yeah thats a you problem.

mythic 20man only...dead to 10 players guilds...

try harder, it has like 600 concurrent players

Eve Online though

>Release Date: May 6, 2003
Still going strong at 19,284 online now.

I know. I play with them inTBC and Wotlk private servers. Theyre good. It's really popular in Russia

So Method is lying when they said they had lag this week on ToS Mythic?

your game went to shit when activision/ten penny bought it

Didnt kill 10 mans
Didnt kill 25 mans
ITs a different difficultly thats scaled around 20 people.
Just stick to flex/heroic which you can do with 10 people

Never had a huge problem with it. Played consistently vanilla through cata. Honestly had wayyyy more problems with a BC pirate server I tried getting into a few years ago. I think it was Nostalrius RIP in peace. Still a great time despite the awful latency. Great group of people

legion sold 3.3m copies day 1, 8 months ago it was reported by a blizzard employee who later retracted his statement (speculating because they arent supposed to disclose this info) that they're at 10.1m subs. their monthly earnings report has been growing substantially each month since summer started
(destiny 2 prepurchase and old starcraft are available now though, but overwatch sales decline... interesting)
as someone who levels a toon every few months though i'd say its faster queue times each month. i believe the game is currently growing and likely hasnt dropped below 5m subs since legions release.

"We know what you want more than you do"

youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ

having a playerbase of 3 online doesnt make it "alive"

amen. Eve, still best MMO without compromising.

Yep. Although it's probably not as old as FFXI, EverQuest II is still around and still releasing expansions, too.

everquest2.com/home

Well...a little compormising.

fuck fozzie

Wait people ddos servers during world first races? No way

This. I unsubscribed after I heard that comment.

youtube.com/watch?v=EzT8UzO1zGQ

WoW has ~10.1 million subscribers as of October 2016

This.

no, it seems like that but it isnt...by the time 20man hit there was more 10man guild that there ever was 25man guild...it was easier for established 25m guild to reduce their rooster....not the other way around

true, fucking over carriers and mining is really hard for us to take...

Skyrim.

i havent logged on for a whole week.
considering where i logged out, getting on right now and pressing F1 might be reeeaaaaaallly funny. possibly expensive, but also funny.

still one of the best games i ever played.. and definitely the one game i just wont stop playing, ever.

Ive never actually played eq2, didnt know you had to have a subscription. Just knew that ffxi still charges

Im a billion dollar publicly traded company and i still cant handle a few skiddies!!!

Blizzard North was not just 1 dev. They made Diablo 2 as well as WoW.

The devs that left Blizzard North formed the studios that made Torchlight, Guild Wars 1/2 and Wildstar.

Each of those games were kind of meh imo, but put the world of GW, the humor and silliness of Wildstar and the RPG elements of Torchlight together and you have original WoW.

Be on a better server
Dont be a toxic guild with people giving you a bad rep in trade.
My 10 man when 20 man after a few weeks recuiting .Dont be a shit guild

good for them.

EVE is probably right behind that, and still

>release date: 2003

Longest active mmo?

i think not, wow

we don't even need to pay for expansions kek

"You think you do, but you don't"

>unsubscribed

Oh you think blizzard gives a shit about world first race hahahahaha

/thread

i tried to keep my guild running for all WoD, recruiting for an entire year...fuck legion, i'm playing overwatch

They do.
It brings sponsors,it brings in people to play the game.
Competitive Guilds have their own ecosystem and bring people in to play the game.
More people playing = more money

Blizzard developers were to egotistical to admit they were wrong

It wasn't because the game was old, it's because they're player base didn't like the changes they made to the game and the developers refused to listen.

>fail