What's the weirdest piece of computer equipment that you've ever owned, Sup Forums?

What's the weirdest piece of computer equipment that you've ever owned, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iN1lq90JMh8
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this layout makes sense

I have no idea what's going on.

clicky clacky typy with your left hook, fappity fappity with your right jab

It's a one-handed keyboard. For amputees.
This one makes LESS sense but it's supposedly more efficient.

Probably the original IBM PGA video "card" I found in perfect condition. PGA was a pre-VGA concept by IBM in like 1983(?) to do 256 colors. It was basically an entire other PC on a triple-board ISA card that had its own onboard 80186 processor. It was still an analog output signal though, unlike VGA, so it had its own proprietary monitor (that was in the same classic IBM PC styling as all the original IBM monitors). I had the monitor as well, but UPS decided to break it for me in shipping.
I bought the card before the vintage computing craze hit, for like $40, and then sold it a few years later for $500. Sold the badges off the busted monitor as well.

An usb ventilator
/thread

My dad still has his atari 800 in working condition

I had a Mac when I was a kid.

I also owned the original Intel 386 upgrade solution for the 286 IBM PC-AT, called the "InBoard 386" that had an entire 386 processor and board in ISA card format, with a ribbon cable that ran to the host system's 286 socket. It would ONLY work in the actual PC-AT (and very close clones) and not in any general 286 though, because the ribbon cable was flexible clear plastic with copper trace paths on it (opposed to a shielded ribbon cable), so the host system's 286 socket had to line up perfectly with the 386 card since the plastic ribbon couldn't really be flexed or moved to a different position.
Again, paid like nothing for it before the PC collecting craze, then sold it for like $300.

A Gateway computer. Painted like a fucking cow and running AOL dialup.

I owned a Tyan mainboard that actually worked.

Ti-83 calculator. Used to play games in class.

I have one of those $9 computers right now. Sadly, I missed out on most of the weird vintage shit.

i like this one does anyone know where to get it

I bought a 1500$ "gaming" HP laptop. It came with windows vista and the entire bottom half was a detachable battery. The bottom got too hot to play on your lap...

Kyocera KR2 Mobile Router

The InBoard and the PGA card were my two best. At one time I had an original Kalok MFM hard drive for PC that was a massive full-height 5.25" unit. Like all Kaloks it died 20 years before I acquired it. I had a Z-80 processor upgrade for the original 8088 PC mainboard that included a patch lead with a cpring loaded clip terminal on it that you literally had to clip onto one leg of the original processor socket (versus soldering it directly).
OH! And I had one of those GAY ASS fucking "computer chairs" from the very late 80s/early 90s when the whole "back ergonomics for PC users" was a huge fad market, and this thing..it had two cushions: one that your ass sat on, and one that your shins rested against, and no back at all. It was fucking torture and I gave up on it after like a week, turned it around and sat on top of it like a tard until I bought a regular chair.

>you need this for math class
>you need this
>never use it
Fuck Texas Instruments. When I was in engineering school our class was planning a trip to one of their silicone wafer factories. They have a policy that nobody born outside the U.S. is allowed inside their facilities. Jingoistic Cold War bullshit.

Same, but with a $3000 Dell and it came with XP. And leather wrist rests. It took me five years to pay my mom back for it. Lasted a decade though.

SEGA IR 7000 Communicator

maltron dot com
It costs 494 usd.

>silicone
>silicone
>silicone
Chip wafers aren't made out of gasket rubber, pahjeet.

Somebody imagined a future where this was the norm.

HOLY FUCK I had this as a kid. One day I left it outside and it rained and i brought it back into my room then at like 3am the fuckin thing started going off on its own. Freaked me the fuck out. That voice it had was creepy af.

Holy shit, I've never seen that before. And I've seen/had some obscure peripherals from that era (like my keyboard with the built in mechanical trackball in place of the arrow keys).

youtu.be/iN1lq90JMh8

whats the point of two wheels, could you scroll down on two separate windows or something

What freaks me out about that the most is that the bottom/base has the same shape and profile as the original TI-99/4A "home computer." This thing in user's pic has a better keyboard, though...

When I began playing Ultima Online it came with a mouse that was shaped like Larry Probst's dick. It was even warm and fleshy. Pretty weird now that I think back on it...

I once had a mousepad meant for really early optical mice. it was metal and had a grid pattern on it.

I remember those. The mice used red laser light. I think they had a DPI of like, 6?

>be 14
>not many computers in my country
>get a book on how to build computer
>realize I can't get microprocessor, copper wire, etc.
>my country is poor
> get creative
>start making pipes out of bamboo
>eventually have 8 pipes connecting to a stream by my house
>pipes fill with water and empty out, as they empty they fill the next pipe
>when they tip they deposit coconuts
>I've created an 8 bit calculator that returns sums of binary numbers as coconuts
>tie family hog to stick and have it run in a circle depending on where coconuts fall in its pen.
>pig eats coconuts, leaves shells in pattern mirroring binary numbers
>I have created hard drive

>I have created hard drive
Probably more reliable with each read/write than a Quantum "Fireball" hard drive. 10/10.

>control hog movement with system of ropes and whips
>I have created operating system

>I have created operating system
Probably more stable over time than 98/ME. 10/10.

>roll middle finger down single wheel mouse
>lift finger, place back at top of wheel to continue scrolling down
As opposed to, with this:
>scroll to bottom of wheel w middle finger
>THEN scroll to bottom of 2nd wheel w ring finger, in one continuous motion
more efficient if you have the coordination for it; but still not really all that necessary.

>literal retard

>doesn't understand that silicone and silicon are two entirely different things
>still pahjeet

tfw when weird vintage shit was the computers of my youth

If you had a retard do your bidding based on signals from the pig sty would that have been machine learning?

Somebody screen shot this please.

>Z-80
>upgrade

I lost

>doesn't understand that silicone and silicon are two entirely different things
That irritatates the shit out of me.

I kid you not, fellow user. The name of the product was literally "Lightning."

>roll middle finger down single wheel mouse
Oh fuck...have I been doing it wrong this whole time?! I use my index finger for left click and for the wheel and I use my middle finger for right click.

Perfect AI doesn't exis...

No, I actually DO remember this product, user.
Its existence doesn't make it "right".

Was interesting for 2 seconds.

What was that?

"Press Q now"

Weird.

I had a dream about my cousin's 800 a few years ago. Shit was broken. I called Atari for tech support and they denied they ever made such a thing. Woke up and remembered that the Atari corporation hadn't existed in decades....

Called a cuecat. Basically a QR code scanner you can only use on a PC circa 2000.

When the fuck is Microsoft going to get into the ecig business is what I want to kno this Fuckin apple one is burning my fuckin lips off

Forgot pic

what flavor is it?

I remember newspapers had codes near articles so you could scan and go online for more info or some shit

Apple

Cock

I knew a guy with a drive that read UMDs. Not so much odd, but it made the worst fucking screeching noise.

Oh, that same friend had a card installed on an old computer that functioned as a radio tuner. Like, actually in the sound card thing on the mobo.

>what flavor is it?
"My dick."

I never actually got mine to work. bad drivers or defective hw, I have no idea. Shit went out with the weekly garbage.

>CueCat
>bar code scanner
>given away for free

To this day, I don't know what they were trying to accomplish.

FUUUUUCCCCKKKKING HELL good shit

>mfw I hear morons, to this day
>refer to usb flash as
>"zip drives"

5.25" bay mounted cigarette lighter
USB record player
MIDI equipment
5.25 and 3.5 floppy drive
Tv tuner card
Raspberry Pi
Laptop with rotating screen and digitizer pen

>I have spent so much money on now useless electronics garbage, it makes me sick

I know this pain

That cig lighter should hold its value for years to come

I still own my first computer..an Apple IIe. Was great for games at the time.

Oh those were the days...b4 Trammel existed.

An old family friend has one of these in her closet, and keeps asking me to take it home and fix it for her so she she can sell it on eBay.

She thinks it's worth a lot of money, but also insists its just an electronic word processor.

*sigh*
>actually a kaypro z80 clone

My aunt did transcription work back in the 90's. Doctors and lawyers would send her tapes of their notes and she'd type them up.

She had a keyboard like this. You flick your finger up, down, left, right, or press down. She was so goddamn fast with it, it was spooky. She'd have me and my cousins, like 5 of us, have a conversation and she'd type it up perfectly. And, when she was doing her actual work, she'd play the tapes at like double speed so she could get more done.

I remember those

>weird shit thread
>actually posts something weird that's not just old

Homemade wifi cantenna... altoids and Welch's grape juice flavored

Fuck you, I posted my faggoty computing chair, god damn...

Without timestamps, these threads are pointless.

Zip drives are my favorite older computer medium

Me too!

Shit, we must've had the whole two that slipped through QC.....

I have the original 5mb SyQuest.

You posted a description that's meaningless for someone who never encountered one or doesn't recall them. A picture would be nice.

Atari is releasing a new console

I have a bunch of old aol trial discs in storage right next to my blockbuster card

There was a mod to make it a useful (no special codes) scanner. I did it with mine.

No kidding? so do I. shit's great

I know. That was such a great machine, too.

FUCK!
I tried! YOU search Google images for "weird 90s computer chair."
>mfw user is a woman because user cannot be pleased

FOUND IT.

An entire PDP-11/03 system in a half-height rack. It actually worked well enough to load up RSX-11 but the power draw just wasn't worth it.

I've seen this layout on machine tool consoles.

>implying Atari still exists as anything beyond a collection of trademarks and intellectual property held by a software publisher

ffffuuuu I forgot about these... lol, I had one too bro

Ok.
That is genuinely weird.

>I actually am a girl btw