Does anyone know anything about spiders...

Does anyone know anything about spiders? I live in upstate Indiana in the suburbs and have had some scary spiders in my basement. The most common one I've seen is this black one. It jumps and is extremely fast. It's normally the size of a quarter maybe slightly larger and lays very flat. And then today I was moving a giant drawer in my basement and I saw this brownish, orangish blackish colored one. It was about the size of silver dollar. I believe I killed it but the body was odd. The legs were stretched well in front of the body making it look offset. I then just saw another one about 2 hours ago walking from a pile of clothes to the drawer I killed the other one behind. I've never seen this one before today and now I've seen it twice. Any idea on what it is?

I live in mn and have the same issue this year.

I'm an arachnid curator at a museum, actually! Send pictures and i can identify it for you

Are you actually?

You've got yourself some nigger spiders. I've had ro get rid of a few in my time

The only spider you need to be worried about is the brown recluse
Or maybe brazillian wandering spiders if you buy a lot of bananas

I'm pretty sure the one I killed today is then brown recluse spider. What should I do then?

The brown recluse is often confused with the common house spider (which is also brown). No need to panic.

Be glad you lived to tell the tale. Youre safe now

Yes

Hope you're right. Is there anyway to tell spiders by their web?

Curator here! Not many. You can for some though, like Golden Orb Weavers which have a slight golden tint, Saint Andrew's Cross Spiders which have an X shape in the middle made from zig zags, funnelwebs (Aglenadae), stonehenge spiders, and a small handfull of others. You can sometimes get a general idea, but it's really hard and not that looked into because webs are so fragile and could be disrupted by foliage or other intrusions

I live in more mid Indiana and I get those fucking house centipedes all the time around this part of the year.

agelenidae**

Here's the one I killed today

Could you get a better pic of the "head" and abdomen

don't quote me on it but that is a brown recluse. shake out piles of laundry and bug bomb your basement. you dont wanna get bit by those fuckers ...

It's not. Brown recluses are lighter, have a narrower carapice, two parallel stripes goijg from cephlothorax to abdomen, and a fiddle in the middle of their eyes

I correct myself, Idk why I said two lines, they have one line that goes across the length of the carapice that forms a violin shape

And this is why they're confused with the common house spider all the time. Brown spiders are not all brown recluse spiders, kids.

As oxymoronic as it sounds, this spider is too fat to be a recluse.

fiddle down its eyes...almost like how it fiddles with it's prey

Many centuries ago, they believed tjat the devil played a violin before roaming the streets and I love thinking of exactly that

Time to buy some gas and a lighter.

So it's not a brown recluse based on the pic? I tossed him out so I can't get anymore. If I see another I'll post again.

Curator here:

Just from what I'm looking at it might be a sac spider of some sort (Clubionidae) which is a mix of a lot of different spiders and it's really confusing taxinomically. The violin spiders (including brown recluses) are in this genera but again, it's not the entirity of the genera. Sac spiders have somewhat translucent orange legs and a kind of rice grain shaped abdomen that is more oval with fur on it. Look up broad faced sac spiders and tell me what you think

I'll be on

don't kill spiders you fucking retard

Fur is optional, that was the general statement about the genera

So I just googled spiders in Indiana and Illinois. I live like 5 mins from the stateline. But it looks to be one of these 3

I'd say it looked least like the sac one

Was it lighter or darker?

I believe lighter and the legs were more infront of the body based on the pic. Out of the 4 I posted it most resembled the brown recluse one. Not saying it is that so maybe it's the house one

Hm. I'll keep an eye out if you post more stuff. I'm curious now and few people want help identifying spiders

Jumping spiders are cool. You wave to them and they wave back. So friendly!

if the fucker has it's legs like its hugging then it's not dangerous, Lycosidae's you see

Thank you guys. I hope to not have any more incounters lmao but if I do I'll take pics and post it again

It's spider season here in San Diego. I'm ready to burn my house down if I see another small spider.

Hey Spider Curator, can a Huntsman Spider cling onto a car driving about 30 MPH and not fall off? I found one on my car while I was pumping gas. Scared me shitless because either it's mouth or front legs had 2 small buds on them that just threw me off even more. its legspan was about 4 inches long. I killed it with my sandel, but the body bounced off my car and hit my face
>screamed like a bitch.

spiders are no problem, the off chance of you actually getting bit by a spider is only if you stick your hand into their web or something.

i live in australia, region with most deadly spider in the world, still never had any close calls besides coming close to sticking hand into red back spider webs.
they're the real problem cause they make webs under chairs on on windows in places you'll go to grab and grab into thier web and come out with a red back on your hand biting you
why if you ever visit Australia, always check under any outdoor chair you pick up for webs if it has a concave shape in the arm rests and also under the bottom.

the big spiders in images about australia are your bros. if theres a small hunstman in room ill just leave it, they just wander around the house killing shit, they're like a spidey roomba