How should I start listening the Blues, Sup Forums?

How should I start listening the Blues, Sup Forums?

I mean, which albums should I hear to get into the blues?

Freddie King - Getting Ready

First blues record I've ever listened to. Super tight. I'm Tore Down is a great song.

Delta

Charley Patton- The Best of Charley Patton
Robert Johnson- The Complete Recordings
Son House -Father of the Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Sessions
Blind Willie Johnson- The Complete Willie Johnson
Leadbelly- Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy, Vol. 1
Mississippi John Hurt- Rediscovered
John Lee Hooker- The Ultimate Collection 1948-1990

Electric

Howlin Wolf- Moanin in The Moonlight
Muddy Waters- Newport 1960
Willie Dixon- The Chess Box
BB King- Live at the Regal
Slim Harpo- I'm A King Bee: The Early Swamp Blues Classics
Freddie King- Getting Ready
Albert King- Born Under A Bad Sign
T Bone Walker- The Complete Recordings Of T-Bone Walker 1940-1954

Muddy Waters -After the rain

Forgot

Buddy Guy- Buddy Guy & Junior Wells: Buddy Guy And Junior Wells Play The Blues

Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Start with its first album, like you would any other genre.

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some fucking wog...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know? Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the fucking foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You fucking (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking (indecipherable) don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!

Clapton's an interesting case. Yeah, he said that and he probably harbors racist thoughts but when you look at how he treated these musicians financially...he was the only rock musician who put his money where his mouth was when it came to his love of the blues. In the 90s it was discovered that Robert Johnson's songs weren't in the public domain. Johnson had been covered by a wide variety of rock artists in the 60s and 70s, The Stones, Zeppelin and Clapton probably being the most famous (and maybe in that order). The former two had to be taken to court to pay Johnson's living family royalties. Clapton paid it straight up as soon as it was decided the family was owed money. Clapton paid for Howlin' Wolf's headstone, he supported Muddy Waters on a tour when Muddy Waters' career was dead for all intents and purposes.

That doesn't excuse that comment, but still. He's not all that bad.

And just to make it clear, the royalties were in the millions.

Honestly I just posted that quote because I always find it funny. To think the man behind I Feel Free stood up to do a Hitleresque speech is hilarious.

What's the difference between a baby and a bag of cocaine

Eric clapton wouldn't let a bag of cocaine fall off the balcony

You have flowcharts for any genre imaginable on Sup Forums-wiki (just so you know in the future)

People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?

The blues one is kinda trash.

Honestly I think all of Clapton's blues playing is fretboard wankery. He was a good rock guitarist but he needed John Mayall to rein in his fucking masturbatory tendencies. Nothing blues after the beano album is enjoyable in his discography.

Plus anyone who's read his autobiography will tell you straight up that he's a cunt.

This is a decent list. I'd add:

Delta:

Blind Lemon Jefferson
Skip James
"Blind" Reverend Gary Davis

Electric:

Magic Sam
Little Walter
Bessie Smith
Albert "Iceman" Collins
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Etta James
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

White (I more or less never listen to white blues on principle but there are notable exceptions):

Rory Gallagher (Irish tour live is the place to start)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Flat Duojets
Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac

He is a much better pop guitarist than he is blues or rock.

That depends on whether you consider the height of his career his 1980s AOR phase or his John Mayall's Bluesbreakers/Cream/Derek and the Dominos phase...

Oh, add the Allman brothers to the list of white blues bands I consider good

I just want to say that my guitar was Mark McGee, who was Greg Allman's touring (and sometimes recording) guitarist. I don't know if he's as good as Duane but still.

Cream is his best imo. Couldn't listen to any Bluesbreakers or Yardbirds crap. Dominos has like 3 good songs on it and mostly down to Duane Allman

The Bluesbreakers stuff is the best I find. Cream's studio albums suffer from kind of flat production. I do agree that the Yardbirds released their best stuff without Clapton and D&tDs is only famous because of a few great songs though.

Still, can't ever pretend any of it is worse than his 1980s phase...

I quite like the rather smooth production of Cream's album, it makes a nice contrast to the horrible noise that are their live albums.
Is the Bluesbreakers really that good? I've listened to quite a few songs and I've never really gotten into it. I do have a bias against White Blues though.