Should we tax the church?

Should we tax the church?

No

Well, the one that's on fire probably won't generate you much future revenue...

What exactly are they selling or producing that you would be taxing?

You might as well be saying "should we tax the incomes of religious people?".

Sorry, "double-tax"*

I believe in a lot of areas churches are exempt from property taxes. They shouldn't be.

Let's tax charity and non-profit organizations also

If you tax us, then you would have to go without your precious seperation of church and state

TAX EVERYTHING

You know who's worse? The red cross and doctors without borders. No tax at all.

The one I went to had to pay a tax, even though it was at a person's home. Something about being recognized as a public place or some bull, but what are you going to do.

You owe $4 tax for that post.

>What exactly are they selling

the easy way to fix it is to just eliminate the charitable giving tax deduction. It's about a hundred billion a year in revenue forgone in the US, I think.

Why? That's not even an argument, it's just something stupid people repeat.

ALL land should be taxed regardless of what its used for, be it a church or a house or a business or a pile of dung. That some people happen to build magical pointy clubhouses on some of it is of no interest to the state. The priest buying soap still pays sales tax. The priest can pay sales tax on his sunday camp too.

Sepration of church and state means that Congress still makes no law respecting the establishment of a religion or prohibiting one. In fact it sounds like true separation of church and state means removing the exemption from taxes that skydaddy worshipers get away with.

Time to render unto Caesar.

Yes. It's unconstitutional not to tax them. There are tons of churches and similar religious buildings around taking advantage of tax exemptions. If they were taxed for peddling bullshit it might encourage less bullshit to go around.

so it's simply a kooinkydink that the best nations and families are white christiain ones, right?

Ever heard of no taxation without representation?

Motivational speakers pay tax on their earnings.

Right now you have representation without taxation.

and all church memebers have the right to vote

I say yes for 2 reasons
>i'm a fucking idiot that doesn't understand the meaning of "no taxation without representation"
>i'm looking forward to the jews pooling their money and using that PAC to get a Israel-first rabbi installed in all major political positions also because im an idiot

It might surprise you to know that:

> religious people can vote right now
> children pay the sales tax on soap even though they cannot vote

No taxation without representation is a meme that a retard might have fallen for in 1780, but even he probably figured out in an hour.

most kids use their parents money

Because we're citizens you fucking numbnuts
WHICH MEANS WE ALREADY PAY TAXES

Churches don't generate revenue, they receive donations on money ALREADY TAXED

FROM CITIZENS

THAT COMPRISE THE CHURCH

YOU SMUG IDIOTS

Taxi drivers shouldn't be taxed. They receive donations on money that has already been taxed.

calm down

Do you really need to be such a huge asshole so as to want to tax a completely free service? It's not like Churches are exclusive clubs, most of them donate shitloads to charity already and their congregations are shrinking by the decade.

That being said they aren't even selling anything, there's no profit to be made unless you tax the property and tax the actual staff, who already pay taxes.

Doesn't matter. You pay sales tax on money already income taxed too. Churches do generate money, through tithes, donations, or service fees. And church workers like priests don't pay income taxes either.
In other words, the rest of the tax payers are covering for them since they're dodging taxes. Get your hands out of my pockets and pay your taxes like the rest of us.

So how doesn't this violate the seperation of church and state?

And will being taxed make you fedoras calm down about religious people voting their conscience?

Red cross and dwb actually benefit people though.

>what is paid for services

no

>Churches do generate money, through tithes, donations, or service fees

getting money and generating revenue are 2 different things

only one gets taxed

I have a job. I work for a paycheck and the government takes a cut. I go to your house and find you sitting in a substantial pile of cheeto dust, in the dark in your basement. I hand you $50. Does the government get a cut of that too?

Technically yes.There will a be sales tsx. When he goes and buys some tendies ,Cheetos and mounten dew game fuel.

that's a separate transaction between you and a third party

does the government get a cut of me giving YOU the money?

when you can answer that honestly, you'll understand why donations arent and shouldnt be taxed

>getting money and generating revenue are 2 different things
Lotto winnings are taxed. Game show prizes are taxed. Any influx of money beyond petty cash is taxed. Getting money and generating revenue ARE the same in the eyes of the IRS.

Even ignoring that, property taxes. I could live entirely off of my own land that I own outright. Farming my own food, crafting my own goods and making no taxable income and I would still have to pay property taxes.

Like the Duggars?

"Render onto Caesar that which is Caesar's."

You are not the church, money is taken from the church not you retard

If we tax them then they have to get representation in government.

I, for one, would welcome the merger of church and state into a single body centered around the worship of Donald Trump as Emperor.

Which church catholic, protestant, lutheran, orthodox, morons?

Huckabee was the governor of Arkansas. Every religious person can vote. What the hell are you talking about?

I'm from Texas so I'd have to say Catholicism with American characteristics.

Veneration of Columbia, transmission of manifest destiny to Church dogma, canonization of George Washington, etc.

Religious citizens != Religious organizations

You have the reasoning skills of a sixth grader.

Yes if you also tax mosques, temples, synagogues, etc.

You're talking to a cultural marxist who wants to see traditional culture destroyed. They know what they're suggesting and no, they don't care.

They should at least pay property taxes.
The huge creepy megachurches take in shit loads of money. Pastors aren't supposed to be multimillionaires.

how do you legally define "creepy megachurch"

>pastors aren't supposed to be millionaires

this is literally your opinion based on being raised in a Christian culture. you can't apply it to other people in a secularized society

>Should we give the Church a say in Government
It's like you don't know what "taxation without representation" is

They should pay property tax, but not taxes on donations or income received from renting out the property for functions.

I bring it up because many denominations disagree or outright hate one another, and you have to pick one. If its catholic theres a lot of christians who say catholics dont count so theres that. Having a national religion is just silly and opens up the door for abuse

Bishop Eddie Long preaches at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Ga., a suburb outside of Atlanta. Long has a net worth of $5 million dollars.
According to a 2005 Atlanta Journal-Constitution investigation, “During the period between 1997 to 2000, Long received more than $3.07 million worth of compensation and benefits from his non-profit charity, Bishop Eddie Long Ministries Inc.”
The newspaper investigation concluded that Long was given a “$1.4 million six-bedroom, nine-bath home on 20 acres in Lithonia; use of a $350,000 luxury Bentley automobile” and “more than $1 million in salary, including $494,000 in 2000.”