Jazz newfag here

Jazz newfag here

Last night I listened for the first time to an entire Jazz album and it amazed me, loved it (pic related). Any recommendations to continue enjoying the genre?

I've already downloaded Kind Of Blue and The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=49ICNSx-b-E
youtu.be/NU7fFBU9LII
youtube.com/watch?v=HnvSfW2xjMI
youtube.com/watch?v=XwGJ5VxFjI8
youtube.com/watch?v=QLWebJlxO0s
youtube.com/watch?v=fTrZAq7Q8Wk
youtube.com/watch?v=8L07v5SoaZw
youtube.com/watch?v=42Wodutndww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sun ra's discography

A Love Supreme is a mix of bop and free jazz so I'd recommend

>Bluetrain- John Coltrane
>Sidewinder- Lee Morgan
>Saxophone Colossus- Sonny Rollins
>Brilliant Corners- Thelonious Monk
>Bird and Diz- Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie
>Moanin- Art Blakey
>The Shape of Jazz to Come- Ornette Coleman
>Out To Lunch- Eric Dolphy
>Lanquidity- Sun Ra
>Black Unity- Pharoah Sanders
>Spiritual Unity- Albert Ayler

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life

>Recommending avant-garde and free jazz to someone who's new to jazz
What are you doing?

Shape of Jazz, Lanquidity and Out to Lunch are incredibly listenable. The only ones that are out there are the last two and even then they can be enjoyed for their sonic prowess and also a taster for further entry into free jazz.

i am also a new fag. any modal jazz like my favorite things?

Couple of Hank Mobley albums are good. Soul Station (Blue Note) and Mobley's Message (Prestige) can be recommended.

I was implying that avant-garde and free jazz, although listenable, aren't the best choice for someone new. Here are my recommendations OP:
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Pat Martino - Consciousness

Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain started the Modal Jazz trend in Jazz

After that you have quite a few Coltrane albums like A Love Supreme
Wayne Shorter albums like Juju, Soothsayer, Speak No Evil
Joe Henderson with Black Narcissus
Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage
A lot of Brubeck like Take Five
Bill Evans as well

Anything is applicable as long as the person finds it enjoyable to listen to.

OP, just listen to Pharoah Sanders - Karma and then forsake sanity and listen to the sequel to a Love Supreme, Meditations.

thanks, i already quite enjoy kind of blue and sketches of spain so i'll check out that other stuff

I give this advice a lot but I've found it works well for me -

Listen to the bass players in any given jazz combo you listen to and see who they play with. It's an easy way to discover new groups that will play music similar-but-not-too-similar to what you enjoyed.

I guess this works with pianists as well but I'm a bass player myself so that's what I do

youtube.com/watch?v=49ICNSx-b-E

Obligatory free jazz

Of course. I doubt most jazz listeners started with free jazz though.

Time Out is brilliant, a truly great album

You are like little babby

Watch this: youtu.be/NU7fFBU9LII

F R E E

youtube.com/watch?v=HnvSfW2xjMI

I raise you one SQUEEEEEAL

True, though I have noticed it tends to be the most popular genre with non-jazz fans.

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

badass album, timeless.

I expected John Zorn given the squeal

More of an Allan's take on metal, but unique and well executed nonetheless. Suffers from the 80's syndrome a bit though.

panic stations is a probably the worst song on the album, the rest are gold though.

the shape of jazz to come is pretty accessible. The drums and bass have way more structure compared to something like bitches brew

I was thinking of recommending Bitches Brew, but due to the sheer lenghts of it I didn't. My favorite album of his though.

Length*

youtube.com/watch?v=XwGJ5VxFjI8

Because he just fucking said he likes A Love Supreme, you retard. All of those albums are fairly accessible too.

add walkin' by miles davis and that list is perfect

I wouldn't say its the most accessible but its def one of my favorites

youtube.com/watch?v=QLWebJlxO0s

youtube.com/watch?v=fTrZAq7Q8Wk

also complete newfag but i really like this

My favorite Holdsworth jazz/fusion moment is his solo on Nostalgic Lady from Jean-Luc Ponty's excellent Enigmatic Ocean

youtube.com/watch?v=8L07v5SoaZw
(Holdsworth @ 2:55)

Charlie Parker.

Listen to it.

what do you guys think of lounge lizards? its the only jazz i've been able to get into so far. feel like a pleb cuz its catchy. I've listened to a few of the classics and i like them (kind of blue, a love supreme) but nothing has really grabbed me as of yet. any recs?

I always recommend Bluetrain to any beginner interested in Jazz. It's strong, catchy hard bop at its finest with the triad of fantastic horn soloists in Coltrane, Morgan and Fuller trading off
youtube.com/watch?v=42Wodutndww

>loved it
No you didn't. If you can't read music, you did not love it nor did you comprehend it. Back to rock music with you, begone.

If you want something equally spiritual and transcendent as A Love Supreme, then this is it. Just listen to the first minute of the first track and you will be mesmerized.

Meditations, Impressions, Interstellar Space and Kulu Se Mama also fit the bill

Pretty mediocre desu

Why are you so mad? I didn't want to make him alienated after his first few jazz albums.

dont

Pretty good

I think the primary reason /jazz/ threads die is because someone asks for a rec and, no matter what it is, the overwhelming majority of autists on Sup Forums give back something that's either bop/hard bop or entry level free/"spiritual" jazz. I'm not saying Coltrane isn't great, and I think everyone eventually comes around to liking some aspect of him eventually, but there's a few missing links between Lounge Lizards and Coltrane. You really thought this was a good recommendation? People need to spend less time parroting jtg or Rolling-Stone-tier jazz picks and more time developing their own tastes, asking questions, and learning to keep quiet unless you know enough about what people are asking for to actually contribute.

If you like Lounge Lizards' s/t, then I would suggest: Lounge Lizards' Voice of Chunk; Tim Berne's Fractured Fairy Tales; Bill Frissell's Before We Were Born; Material's Memory Serves (and possibly Bill Laswell's Baselines); and Tone Dogs' Ankety Low Day. As a starting point; if you like any of those, then expand into those musicians' discographies from those albums. If you want something closer to rock, then you might try Denison-Kimball Trio's Soul Machine or Arto Lindsay's Envy. If you want something closer to "traditional jazz," then you might try: David Murray's Ming or Murray's Steps; Henry Threadgill's Spirit of Nuff... Nuff; or Ned Rothenberg's Powerlines.

>tells other ppl to stop parroting jtg
>recommends David Murray and Tim Berne

they're appropriate recommendations though

Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions