AOTY and it's not even close

AOTY and it's not even close

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PDTxFrS8DFQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i thought i was the only one thinking this!

no album in 2017 comes close to this masterpiece

I'm sad about all the backlash it had. But it's still my favorite 2017 record so far.
fav track: Pluto

it's literally electropop with mediocre minimal instrumentals

This album does not have a single good song. I completely and unironically mean it. Mercury starts well then just falls apart and ends with that cheesy guitar outro. Everything is overproduced trash.

fuck Nico Muhly

Good job describing the album while throwing in an adjective that aligns with your subjective opinion

fun fact: there are other songs than saturn on this album

edgy but the instrumental parts are god tier

Pluto is absolutely STUNNING. the strings sound amazing. the production on this thing is fucking immaculate. my favorite has to be Uranus or Earth. the beat that develops at the end of Earth is so fucking cluttered and kooky, it's incredible the amount of detail crammed into every nook and cranny of this album.

Nico Muhly is great, it's just his pop stuff that sucks

his arrangement(s) on Divers was great plus this: youtube.com/watch?v=PDTxFrS8DFQ

>Earth
Impossible Soul tier song, ironically the spaciest song on the album

I don't get the backlash in press. The album didn't exactly meet my expectations because it sounds nothing like live version (I was particularly upset with jupiter), but it's still pretty great. 8/10 at least. The age of adz is still Suf's best work and I don't think he will ever top that.

shoul've worked on it for a year more, was close to being something special

You misspelled Carrie And Lowell Live

Most-mediocre-AOTY and it's not even close

What's yours?

but hes right user its shit and boring
it replaces interesting melody and texture with boring electronics
5/10 at most
good thing sufjan also released the actual AOTY this year tho

It's better than the studio version, that's for sure.

Please shit on it, it's only fair.

>texture
>implying electronics cant be used to create texture

you've exposed yourself as a rockist therefore ur opinion holds no weight user.

OP here, may have been a bit hyperbolic when i said it isnt even close, this one was definitely up there for me before planetarium. good choice.
try giving planetarium another chance. its a lot to take in but its very rewarding, a lot like common as light, but replace the density of the lyricism with sonic density.

How can you like Carrie and Lowell live more and call Planetarium boring? Carrie and Lowell live is good but it's not as unique and interesting as Planetarium.

how is Planetarium interesting
how is electropop interesting

you know what's interesting? Michael Pisaro/Keith Rowe improvising around excerpts of a Shostakovich string quartet. that's compelling and interesting art

Planetarium is literally Sufjan taking a shit on stage and feeding it to his audience

AOTY and it'as not even close

I might have to. The only project I've truly loved by stevens is Illinois and for some reason albums like Adz and Carrie & Lowell didn't resonate that much with me. I'm gonna give it another go because the more I try to think about it the less I can remember. I know there's gotta be greater substance to it than I think, aside from the solar system concept.

op probably hasn't heard half of these records

It's in my top 10 this year, good choice.

what Sup Forums could be if people were reasonable and actually interested in discussing music. keep it up sir, we need more of you.

what is so compelling and interesting about that?

>edgy but the instrumental parts are god tier
This. I can do without the pop sections, Sufjan's vocals do not fit this album at all unless he's under a vocoder.
>it replaces interesting melody and texture with boring electronics
But there is melody. And the textural qualities are one of the best parts of this album. You're factually wrong.

i've heard a third of those. enjoyed narkopop and peasant a lot, didn't care for dust or black origami at all. what else from that chart should I check out?

> Michael Pisaro/Keith Rowe improvising around excerpts of a Shostakovich string quartet.
Thanks for the rec. Sufjan of course can't compete with this kind of musicians, he's a pop artist after all. But I think Planetarium is good for experimental pop, just a little inconsistent (it was made by 4 people, duh). Also, I'm Sufjan groupie so I'm biased as hell.

if you aren't into classical you can pass on the Dusapin and the Qin
everything else you should listen to

there's new ideas, new conceptions from Pisaro/Rowe's work. You aren't just getting complacent, boring pop.

>Planetarium is "complacent"
what are you saying my dude, come back when you've listened to the fucking album

no im saying that the textures he creates are shit
also im actually a big fan of power noise and death industrial stuff
carrie and lowell live might not be as interesting in the development of music but it captures a developed matured version of carrie and lowell. Just because planetarium is new for sufjan doesn't make it good. ambient pop has been done infinitely times better

hahahahahahahahaha WOW IT HAS A FUCKING STRING ORCHESTRA EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, truly challenging art

honestly have you heard any classical music or jazz from the past 50 years

hey back at ya, man

This post is terrible for so many reasons.
Planetarium isn't in my top 10 of this year but it is more interesting than most pop music. It's got great ambient passages and tinges of minimalist composition, which I have been exploring a lot for the past year. You aren't really making any valuable critiques, you just name-dropped some artists and began to act like you're more patrician than us. You're contributing less to this conversation than the pop listeners.

>i'll just argue against a point that no one actually made, that'll show them.
the album is all over the place stylistically and sonically from song to song. it's not complacent at all.
>wow it has a string orchestra every once in a while
thanks for further proof you havent actually listened to it.

>It's got great ambient passages and tinges of minimalist composition
there are better ambient albums (which have less overdone, more compelling concepts) and there are better minimal albums (which have greater conviction to a compelling rhythmic, timbral, etc. development) from not only this decade, but this year

what do you want me to write a 2000 word critique for you? I only do that for music I like.

and you don't think theres anything inherently stupid about the comparison you're making? a mostly electropop album vs fucking guitar improv album?

>vs fucking guitar improv album?
try listening to albums before commenting

>better ambient albums
>better minimal albums
>not only this decade, but this year
post recs.
10 or more from this year,
25 or more from this decade.

Are you really acting as if those are two aren't incredibly different kind of albums?

so let me get this straight
you want me to type out a list of 70 albums just to satisfy your autism?

I'll do 5 from each genre, how about that

not being edgy, the album is literal feces-tier

huh? why do i have to listen to the album? are you implying that its an electropo album? fact of the matter is the comparison is stupid and you know it.

Fact of the matter is that I've listened to both records and you've only listened to Planetarium.

Also you're a newfag with bad taste.

stop avoiding the point. You know that a comparison of a classical improvisation album with an electropop album is stupid.

I said
>10 or more from this year,
>25 or more from this decade.
so I do not know where you're getting the number 70 from. I asked for 35 at least.

Quit being difficult you faggot. You just came here to condescend. Post recs.

not that user but youre being retarded

ambient:
tangerine dream zeit
stars of lid
ulver shadows of the sun
brian eno ambient 1 + 2 + 4
aphex vol 1 + 2
gas zauberberg
biosphere substrata

minimalism from 2010s:
r andrew lee november + other projects
colin stetsons projects
eleh radiant intervals
max richter projects
LAM s/t
jonny greenwood bunch - radio rewrite

Here you go, the first two for each genre are this year and the remaining 4 are the decade

>not that user but youre being retarded
>asking for music recs on a music board
>retarded
not only is that a ridiculous thing to say, but then you posted entry-level canonical ambient. all great albums, but every person here knows them.

you are not being helpful. you're a faggot. I asked for recs and now you're just as mad as the other homo.

when am I going to get some useful recs? goddamn.

fucking finally, thank you. christ it's like navigating a maze to get recs from you people. can you post some more. I have already heard most of those. I love the OPN and colin stetson releases.

it's not a problem to rec people, the problem is when they ask for 35 albums per genre, which is just fucking unreasonable

if you just ask for like, 5-10, there wouldn't be fuss

>picking the weakest stephen release of the year

smdh.

You made it sound like there were countless better albums. If there are only a dozen more that are better from this decade, I guess Planetarium is still pretty a pretty remarkable release.

user was just trying to be as condescending as possible, stop being so naive.

Agreed desu, Earth is 10/10

well look at my minimalism recs you ungrateful toss pan
and youre only being retarded because you believe planetarium is anything other than a shitty piece of dog wank
carrie and lowell live is way better

you're right, I don't come on Sup Forums too often so sometimes I am duped by homos.

>and youre only being retarded because you believe planetarium is anything other than a shitty piece of dog wank
I have been pretty civil in this thread, just asking for recs. you're obnoxious. piss off pleb.

In a specific genre
If we're talking albums in general I'd place way more above it

Mr. Intellectual doesn't have a library of RYM lists he can share? Fucking poser

Carrie and Lowell is dreadful

fuck off Fantano

>Michael Pisaro/Keith Rowe improvising around excerpts of a Shostakovich string quartet. that's compelling and interesting art

wow dude you're so cool you saw the P4K review for 13 Thirteen and checked it out as well!!

protip: that album is a load of self-indulgent garbage and it makes Planetarium seem focused and interesting by comparison. and yes I have listened to both.

you are a massive pseud for name-dropping those artists in a discussion about Sufjan Stevens.

Narkopop and Dust are great, Peasant is my AOTY and Black Origami is decent. Most of those albums are in the RYM top 100, I don't know why anyone here wouldn't have heard of them.

this is also mostly entry-level shit--OPN, The Caretaker, Colin Stetson, John Luther Adams, GAS, Deepchord...nobody thinks you are special for having listened to these. they are all GOOD, but having these in your top lists shows that you only have a very surface level knowledge of the genres.

anybody can google "best [genre] of the decade" and have this shit come up on the first page. so stop acting like you're above Sufjan fans.

what didn't you like about it? inb4 it wasnt compelling and a random comparison to an album from the same year in a wildly different sub-genre of music.

what a surprise, when the poser is confronted and asked to list albums, they suddenly back down

I liked Planetarium, rec me stuff user

uh did you see or the other guy: jesus christ teenager found

I'm seeing them monday in paris, anyone else going too?

>im le elder patrician. if you don't agree with my taste you're a child

no I can just tell you're a young, emotional teenager by your rant post

that wasn't even me pusy

god tier my ass. the instrumentals seem so pointless. the song songs are pretty good though

Agree for all except for Tides

>jesus christ teenager found

not an argument.

wow damn you didn't respond to a single actual point I made. must suck having an IQ below 100.

as a whole, not the best, quite disappointing but i like the songs individually

must suck that you still have no agency over your life and have to write rants on Sup Forums huh?

and yet here you are responding to them...really fires up the neurons.

NUMBERS NEVER LIE

BTFO

Not user, but I didn't like Carrie and Lowell either (though dreadful is a bit of an exaggeration). I understand the vulnerable, understated, simple music makes sense for the album but I personally prefer electronic sufjan over folky sufjan. And even in terms of folky sufjan it's not his best. Seven Swans blows it out of the water. It's not bad music, but I think ultimately albums like Age of Adz and Planetarium are more interesting and compelling. I think Sufjan is most creative and outgoing musically there so they have more reasons to keep me coming back.

What about Carrie & Lowell live user

Huge disappointment desu.
It's like Sufjan found every part of each song I loved in the live version and murdered it in front of me. I can't listen to the studio version as every little nuance I enjoyed is gone.
I've heard live>studio albums like this and studio>live albums and have never had this happen to me, it really is uncanny how everything I liked is gone.