Can we have a Guitar/bass rate thread?

Can we have a Guitar/bass rate thread?

Pic related is my rig, horribly mismatched but I love it nonetheless.

Can anyone explain to me why I would ever want to drop hundreds or thousands on an electric guitar when my squire strat with matching amp that I got for $50 on Craigslist sounds just fine, and the amp even has a bunch of settings and effects to play with?

If you're happy with your tone then there is no need.

Some people prefer the feel of a higher quality build though. If you held your squire, and then say a mayones, you would notice many differences. Not to say squires are badly made.

It all comes down to preference and budget.

Pretty neat looking rig you've got there, OP.

Here's my favorite bass of the moment. My amp pales in comparison to yours but it's loud enough to make my neighbors hate me so it's alright in my book.

And here's my favorite guitar.

OP is a faggot

Thanks user, it was all surprisingly cheap too. The entire rig (including guitar) set me back less than £500.

That bass of yours looks really nice, what is it? If the amp does the job then that's all you need. I never get my amp out of my bedroom, it's a bit pointless it being so big at the moment.
That's real nice too.

>less than £500
Jesus Christ, what a steal! Do you like the feel of the bass then? You've got it properly set up?

>I never get my amp out of my bedroom, it's a bit pointless it being so big at the moment
Yeah, that's exactly my situation as well.

Regarding my bass it's an Ibanez AFBV200A. I've fallen in love with hollow bodies. They've got a real deep and "earthy" tone. I think the fact that it's short scale adds to the tone a bit, too.
One of the downsides of that model though is that Ibanez have engraved "scratches" in the wood to make it look vintage which makes me feel like a "wrong generation" poser asshole for playing it.
But it looks alright from a distance and more importantly sounds and plays very nicely so it's not the end of the world.

That amp is good for practicing at home but essebtially useless for playing in a band, recording, etc

>What a steal
I know right, I had a bit of birthday cash left over so took to browsing online classifieds and saw that. Thought I may aswell go and give it a try (my first bass was an epiphone Thunderbird so I'm a sucker for the shape), turns out it was absolutely phenomenal to play and felt great (I've owned Musician Stingrays, Jap fender Jazzes, top of the range Ibanez' etc and this LTD is my favourite over them all). I've done a few things like sand the neck but other than that it's absolutely perfect for me.

I've honestly never seen one of those before, it looks lovely. Does it have the usual Ibanez' slim neck low action? I really like the look of it, I'm not normally a fan of fatter bodies but I'd make an exception for that lol. I'm gonna go and give them a listen on YouTube now!

Sorry, forgot to mention, the LTD was £170 :)

Also made me realise I will never again buy a brand new instrument as, with a bit of patience and time spent looking, you can get absolutely crazy deals.

The Trace Elliot cost me £150 off of someone who was using it as a Harmonica amp.

The orange 1x15 cost me £40 as the guy selling it had no idea it was a Orange cab

what cab type is that marshall?

It's an Orange 1x15. I just added a Marshall badge off of a hip amp as the orange one went walkabouts.

>Also made me realise I will never again buy a brand new instrument as
I never have, and wouldn't want take one unless it was a gift.

I use pedals too, as well as a few other guitars, but here is my amp and favorite guitar.

How do you find the Signet? What sort of music do you play through it? Been looking at them quite a bit recently.

>Does it have the usual Ibanez' slim neck low action? I really like the look of it, I'm not normally a fan of fatter bodies but I'd make an exception for that lol. I'm gonna go and give them a listen on YouTube now!
Yep, it's got a slim neck which is very easy to play, along with the short neck scale.
Action is set to accommodate for my low-tension flatwounds bit it's still fairly low :) And flatwounds really gives this bass that extra "umph" in my opinion, at least for the sound I'm going for.

Good luck finding a decent demo video of the bass though, I seem to remember having a hard time finding one that did it justice back before I bought mine. You could try searching for "AFB200" as well as it's the exact same model with another paint job.

>The orange 1x15 cost me £40 as the guy selling it had no idea it was a Orange cab
I'm very ill-informed when it comes to amps, but aren't Orange cabs rather sought-after? £40 sounds like it must've been a great deal.

I love it, but with that said, I completely re-designed the circuit. I play many different styles like surf, shoegaze, lots of various rock/indie genres. I've even gotten some good stoner metal and Sunn O))) drone sounds out of it by slamming it with fuzz and turning the treble and cut control down a bit.

For notes of the amp circuit: The first 12ax7 runs both halves in series with a gain knob between the stages. This goes straight into a Fender style tone stack. Master volume after the tone stack. I replaced the 6U8 tube with a 12ax7 which acts as a long tail phase inverter. The amp is somewhat similar to a "18 watt TMB", but it doesn't have a cathode follower, and it sounds more Fender-y.

Left to right the knobs go Vol/Gain-Master-Bass-Treble and the small switch between the bass and treble is for the mids (you can see it in this photo).

I added a knob on the back of the amp that is the same as the Vox cut knob - cuts treble harshness that the phase inverter can produce (and EL84 can be bright). I also added a resistor before the power transformer to drop the mains voltage down to about 117.

is that a gp11 trace?? i have the exact same one, mines a 1979-1980 model

ignore the meme eq i was playing osbm on it

very fucking cool

oh and heres my bass

1978 greco rb-700 i nabbed for mega cheap, it was literally in mint condition when i got it

Here is my guitar

I uploaded a fucking thumbnail... here is a proper picture

It certainly is dude. Yours seems to be in better condition though. I've always loved the trace Elliot sound and when I saw mine for the price it was at I had to have it! I think mine is around the same era, early 80s. The bass is very tidy too many, good find!

With the flat wounds on too I can imagine you get a really lovely, deep and warm tone. You're right though, can't find anything on YouTube that sounds decent. I'll take your word for it though!

>Aren't orange cabs sought after
Very much so, they tend to hold their value really well. My cab is from around the mid-70s so as soon as I saw it I had to have it. It had been sat in some guys garage and he just wanted the space. One man's trash and all that...

Prestige RG2550?

Nope RG 1570 with a "custom pickguard" (tho it's not really gaurding anything, it's there because i broke my guitar once and it hides the repairs)

Ahh, it looks fucking ace man. I'm a sucker for a nez superstrat. I had a Korean SA with a 5 piece set neck, I've never seen one like it since and o sold it like a fool when I was poor.

Here's my stuff, I'm pretty happy with it, so far no pedals I've just got a looper to fuck around with.

Those Holcomb PRSs are gorgeous